Reducing Flatulence With Linux Distro.S

aarn

I was just wondering - why do the distro.s come with so much 'stuff'?

Brasero et al. - aren't we all using usb sticks now?

Pidgin/Thunderbird - isn't it easier just to have a hotmail/yahoo and a gmail for backup security?

For (those who thrive on) social interaction - does not skype do everything gwibber et al. promise?

I could post a list of what I have exterminated, but am reluctant to recommend, say,

installing Chrome then killing FFox. Might be some very important dependencies twisted...

Welcome any feedback on what else I can delete from my system. AA

I usually do a net install of openSuSE so I avoid most of what you are talking about. With modern package managers it is hard to delete something off if it is a dependency for something else. Basically just go ahead and start nuking what you don't need.

And I use k3b a lot (brasero for KDE) as it allows me to create iso of my dvds/blu-rays and then transcode them at my leisure without wearing out the optical drive. I know I could use the command line, but would I really want to type it in or run it from a script when I can just use the gui?

**edit**

speeling :(

Edited by dave_boo

this (and your other post about mint) are exactly the reason i moved to archlinux, i build the entire system from the ground up with only what i want installed. when i install something like ubuntu (which i still do occasionally) i always use ubuntu server edition, which gives me much more control (although it still pisses me off that when installing xorg it must include every chipset driver known to exist). 2 other distros that i have taken a liking to are crunchbang (debian-based) and archbang (arch-based) which are lightweight distros that install in minutes and are lightning-fast. both are rolling release also, so you never need a real 'upgrade', you just run regular updates and are always on the cutting edge, particularly with archbang. there was a time that i had 5 or 6 partitions on my notebook and was testing every distro that looked interesting, but i got bored with that and settled on arch a few years ago and never looked back. i still test on some distros that look interesting from time to time in virtual machines, i like to read distrowatch weekly to see what is going on in the linux world, but none of the top bloatware distros have any interest for me anymore.

Just depends on the distro. They start w/ Arch (build it yourself) and go from there.

Many people do like to have a lot of apps installed by default, esp. newbies coming from Windows.

It's likely impossible to find a distro w/ exactly what you want pre-installed and that only. That said, there's a wealth of choice out there!

I've found the Synaptic package manager pretty good at uninstalling, updating, and installing.