10 Pubs In Chiang Mai Shut Down By The Authorities. Anyone Know Which Ones?

happysanook

" I'm sure entertainment will find its way elsewhere, to the outskirts of town perhaps. You can't keep that sort of thing down. Just like they do in many parts of the world, they just zone it to a less desirable area."

Less desirable to you may be more desirable to me or someone else. Out here in the outskirts we like our life. Nice and quiet and that is why we moved here. If we want any of the big city things we go into the city like everyone else

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Local Municipality is only targeting the large disco establishments, and as already stated trying to curb underage drinking and drug use.Examples are Discovery and Givver which are now closed, or were on Friday night when I last looked.

People talk here of Chiang Mai drying up and driving all the tourists away because there'll be no bars for them to have a brew or places to get the family jewels carresed , rubbish, there's tons of places for both sets of activities. If folks would but look around they'll be reassured that almost every hotel and restaurant, and there's a ton of them, has a bar, there's also several tons of smaller Thai bars and clubs spread out all over the city and suburbs. As for the other stuff, those places exist in spades and one only needs to drive down Chan Klan at night to understand that. Yes there is a demise of Pattaya type bars but the goods sold by them are still freely available.

There's no place like Zoe, there's no place like Zoe.

This area has been a great spot for foreigners and Thai to mix and hang out for years. It got cut in 1/3rd of what it was when that Thai hotel was built and paid people off to have it turned into a parking lot.

Now it seems they're getting leaned even harder on and the whole area may disappear. You really think the people that hang out at Roots Rock would be happy hanging out in a hotel bar... Or a Thai whiskey disco.

Great thing about CM is it offers a little something for everyone...Yes, even the pervs. I believe this will change as CM comes up and up, modernizes and reinvents itself. Prices up 50% on food over the last couple years... red brick sidewalks converted to concrete. Modern western style establishments being built and renovated into left and right...List goes on and on...

Edited by happysanook
  • Like 1

red brick sidewalks converted to concrete.

If I remember correctly, they were concrete before they were converted to red brick and now they are switching them back for a little while. I don't think that has much to do with modernization.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Its not just the farang frequented bars that have been the target of early closures. Last night I was watching the England game in 2 of the large Thai bars in the Nimmen enclave, at 11.55 the staff were around to collect check bins and at 12.15 the police car was loitering outside a few bars making sure shutters were dropped, and no more serving.

their presence certainly had an effect.

but remarkably all the screens were still showing the game while everyone drank up.

Who/what is Zoe? unsure.png

if you ask that then you are too old.....

Please enlighten me. smile.png

A half indoor / outdoor bar on the top of Ratchiwiti (viti) road -- 2 minutes walk from Spicy. Forgive my spelling.

It's also known as Zoe in Yellow, and probably the most popular Farang hangout in Chiang Mai.

Strictly for the purpose of journalistic integrity ;) I ventured out last night to do a survey of the CM nightlife scene. I know, Monday night is kind of lame, but whatever.

After the Friday night crackdown (that I witnessed first hand) I was curious to see if some bars were closed. As in permanently.

I did not go to Discovery as justcruisin mentioned, nor the Warmup/Monkey Club area on Nimmenhaemin...but pretty much hit every other major area in Muang.

Everywhere I went, everyone was open and packed with customers and people jumping about like crazed orangutans to the disco beat. Also don't forget Euro Cup- lots of bars open late showing sports for the footie crowd.

Got home at 6:30 AM this morning, and the final report is that no, the demise of the CM nightlife scene is just another rumour....coffee1.gif

• Like 2

A half indoor / outdoor bar on the top of Ratchiwiti (viti) road -- 2 minutes walk from Spicy. Forgive my spelling.

It's also known as Zoe in Yellow, and probably the most popular Farang hangout in Chiang Mai.

I believe it is owned by some of those officials the article talked about that are owners or part owners in some of the establishments that were to be closed down but in reality won't.

Strictly for the purpose of journalistic integrity wink.png I ventured out last night to do a survey of the CM nightlife scene. I know, Monday night is kind of lame, but whatever.

After the Friday night crackdown (that I witnessed first hand) I was curious to see if some bars were closed. As in permanently.

I did not go to Discovery as justcruisin mentioned, nor the Warmup/Monkey Club area on Nimmenhaemin...but pretty much hit every other major area in Muang.

Everywhere I went, everyone was open and packed with customers and people jumping about like crazed orangutans to the disco beat. Also don't forget Euro Cup- lots of bars open late showing sports for the footie crowd.

Got home at 6:30 AM this morning, and the final report is that no, the demise of the CM nightlife scene is just another rumour....coffee1.gif

The 2012 version.clap2.gif

Strictly for the purpose of journalistic integrity wink.png I ventured out last night to do a survey of the CM nightlife scene. I know, Monday night is kind of lame, but whatever.

And you made it into work at what time today ?! huh.png

• Like 1

I was out last night around the compound off Huay Kaew Rd. near Nimman. There are probably 50 bars in and round the area and back sois. Tuesday night, 10 o'clock, business not booming but, still looking pretty good for the aforementioned Tuesday night crowd. There are compounds like that one all over town where groupings 20 or more micro-bars serve Thai society's penchant for a relaxing drink (or 11) after work, before work, or during work. The folks here have been doing this for many, many, many years. The bars weren't built for us, they were built for them, we just invaded them and opened a few nostalgia filled places to make the lonely feel less homesick. I visit a spot or two for that purpose. In-the-end, these bars etc. are owned by Thais and they will not allow them to be closed because someone has a way cool idea that CM could draw more falang by turning the place into a clean cut Disney world, this is Asia, it is not the west. There are many independent Thai business people who are doing just fine and will not allow the shuttering of their businesses on a whim.

As far as all the over-priced falang places, I don't participate, 120-150 baht for a beer or 250-300 baht for a burger, gimme a break. Thai places are more fun, a ton cheaper and always surprising. drunk.gif

• Like 1

This thread reads like one of those April fools threads. You know those threads where the posters who don't get the joke post with great indignation and outrage.

I too have heard the rumours Beetlejuice refers to and they are very real with a clear purpose. There is also the politics of the ongoing feud between several groups who own big venues here. i.e The Mandalay crowd, The Fabrique Crowd and the Discovery. Infinity and Fine Thanks gang where some are using the current situation to disadvantage the competition.

But, above all, THERE IS A BIG ELECTION GOING ON FOR THE PAO. Getit?

Don't worry, normal service will be resumed in about three weeks!

Also, the bars that have been targetted most are the big student hang outs like Differ and Zanta - it's the start of term!

Edited by Paagai

I believe it is owned by some of those officials the article talked about that are owners or part owners in some of the establishments that were to be closed down but in reality won't.

When the owners of Zoe themselves are telling my friends and I about the cops requiring a 6000B bribe to stay open from 12-2, I don't think they're in on it.

Maybe I should hang out more with Farangs then. unsure.png

Don't feel bad Semper, even after all these posts I still don't know what it is or where it is either, it must be a generational thingy, let's just keep the you know where place to ourselves and not tell them, OK?

I would say it it is more like 50% farang and 50% Thai. No?

Also an excellent Turkish restaurant albeit terribly poor and slow service. Excellent Greek salad.

Edited by elektrified

Sadly, it houses some of the worst each race has to offer, but some really cool people as well. I usually end up having trouble with farangs there. Have had plenty ask me to help them score drugs after they hear me speak Thai, had a few drunken idiots want to start a fight. And while there are some attractive Thai girls there, not the norm, I wouldn't feel safe with any of them... Condoms don't prevent everything...

Though, I know so Farang female expats here to like it because they have a better chance of being noticed by the opposite sex there.

The worst part, is despite how much I dislike it and like other places better, I end up there quite a bit due to having some friends who frequent it and it being a central location to meet up...

When the owners of Zoe themselves are telling my friends and I about the cops requiring a 6000B bribe to stay open from 12-2, I don't think they're in on it.

6000 baht / 30 days = 200 baht per day

The law in Chiangmai dictates that bars close at 12. They can achieve profit in the 2 hours between midnight and 2am. The bar extends closing hrs by 2 hours by paying a bit of tea money. So what?

btw, the owner of Zoe in Yellow is a turkish lady named Zoe, as far as I know. That would be where the name comes from.

I don't have anything against the bars or those who visit them, but at the very least they should not allow it to grow beyond what it is now. One street and a few small sois is plenty.

? Bars are absolutely all over the place.. ... One street? It'd almost be a challenge to find a street WITHOUT at least one watering hole. rolleyes.gif

The writing is on the wall and anyone that is involved in the bar, restaurant, massage and club businesses of Chiang Mai should consider either re-locating or changing occupations altogether because the situation is not going to improve as Chiang Mai is being transformed into the country’s largest village rather than Thailand’s second biggest city.

No!!!

Chiang Mai is actually the 6th largest city in Thailand

Oh God, not this again... Sure there are 4 towns (other than Bangkok) larger than Chiang Mai. That much be why those towns have so many more superstores/hypermarkets, shopping malls, bigger airports, more flights, bigger bus stations, more car sales and... Oh wait... I guess they don't. ermm.gif

Because the people aren't there. Hint: When someone is born in Udon and travels to Chiang Mai to work and lives in Chiang Mai then they still count towards the population numbers in Udon for government demographic purposes. <end_of_hint>

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

But, above all, THERE IS A BIG ELECTION GOING ON FOR THE PAO. Getit?

I get that, but it seems to be the (appointed) governor who's making the waves in a crusade against bars/pubs/restaurants staying open late. Does he want to go out with a bang? He was appointed by the very yellow/Dem government in 2010, so you'd think his time would be pretty much up, and it's time for him to be reshuffled/promoted away to somewhere?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think he means 2 mins walk in a tuk tuk from the previous spicy