Stun Gun Stops Foreign Fighter Outside Pattaya Police Station

Rimmer

Like a lot of stuff openly for sale, these stun guns are not really legal for the general public to have and while police might overlook a woman for having one for self protection, a guy having one can be viewed to be in possession of an offensive weapon and on a car or bike search at a check point you risk confiscation of it or worse.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, it looks like the westerner was the aggressor, although for what reason we will probably never know. I have to say, the Thai guys were fairly restrained, maybe because they were being reasonable....or more likely there wasn't enough of them.

They did have ample opportunity to lay the boot in while he was down, but left the scene instead, was this because they genuinely didn't want to fight, or because stun guns are illegal?

Either way, it was a bad situation that could have had much more serious consequences for all involved, some more than others.

Or perhaps because they were being recorded and likely knew it!

• Like 1

actually this is nothing new... they have been selling them on every corner since before they started selling the laser pointers. Btw, it's usually the same vendors selling the laser pointers that sells the tazers. I bought one like 10 years ago that doubles as a flashlight and when you pull the sleeve off of the front you then expose the 2 electrodes. Was rechargeable as well. I used to keep it in my saddle bag on my bike.

where in Pattaya do they sell tasers ??....the thing you are talking about is not a taser....A taser fires the electrodes..and in 10 years I have never seen a taser for sale in Thailand.......rolleyes.gif

so you would rather call it a stun gun? Or what is the preferred nomenclature to be used for you

Edited by Rimmer
Un called for

actually this is nothing new... they have been selling them on every corner since before they started selling the laser pointers. Btw, it's usually the same vendors selling the laser pointers that sells the tazers. I bought one like 10 years ago that doubles as a flashlight and when you pull the sleeve off of the front you then expose the 2 electrodes. Was rechargeable as well. I used to keep it in my saddle bag on my bike.

where in Pattaya do they sell tasers ??....the thing you are talking about is not a taser....A taser fires the electrodes..and in 10 years I have never seen a taser for sale in Thailand.......rolleyes.gif

so you would rather call it a stun gun? Or what is the preferred nomenclature to be used for you

I would 'like' this, but I've reached my quota as there were MANY great posts today.

Anyway, I 'like' this.

so you would rather call it a stun gun? Or what is the preferred nomenclature to be used for you?

A taser has two fixed electrodes that provide a shock when held against a surface(body), a taser GUN fires the wires/harpoon style, according to a quick look at google images anyway - i guess the terminology depends what country you are from!

• Like 1

To me, it looks like the westerner was the aggressor, although for what reason we will probably never know. I have to say, the Thai guys were fairly restrained, maybe because they were being reasonable....or more likely there wasn't enough of them.

They did have ample opportunity to lay the boot in while he was down, but left the scene instead, was this because they genuinely didn't want to fight, or because stun guns are illegal?

Either way, it was a bad situation that could have had much more serious consequences for all involved, some more than others.

A possibility for sure, but then why would they use an illegal stun gun?

A possibility for sure, but then why would they use an illegal stun gun?

Decent point, but I'm not quite so sure most any Thai would worry about the 'punishment' for carrying something like that. I doubt most people on the 'street' would even know it's illegal unless they made specific effort to check.

Decent point, but I'm not quite so sure most any Thai would worry about the 'punishment' for carrying something like that. I doubt most people on the 'street' would even know it's illegal unless they made specific effort to check.

We all probably know that the 'punishment' would be a little backhander to the BiB.

All in all the best part of this story is the guy got up and walked/drunkenly staggered away, relatively unharmed. It could have turned so much nastier.

not only were they being recorded, they were also right in front of the cop shop, had many witnesses around, or could have been high on drugs and wanted to get out of there before being detained by the cops.

Take your pick or make up an assumption of your own.

But the lack of a bunch of thais beating the guy into a coma while he is on the ground after being stunned does not equate to them being good guys for just running away.

• Like 1

We all probably know that the 'punishment' would be a little backhander to the BiB.

All in all the best part of this story is the guy got up and walked/drunkenly staggered away, relatively unharmed. It could have turned so much nastier.

True. He is indeed lucky. Perhaps he is lucky that someone wanted to make a movie that day, irrespective of their motive for wanting to do so. I hope for him that someone now explains to him that he might not find himself so lucky next round.

not only were they being recorded, they were also right in front of the cop shop, had many witnesses around, or could have been high on drugs and wanted to get out of there before being detained by the cops.

Take your pick or make up an assumption of your own.

But the lack of a bunch of thais beating the guy into a coma while he is on the ground after being stunned does not equate to them being good guys for just running away.

Right.

Nor does it equate to them being bad boys high on yaba. Have you ever considered that they might, just might, be normal lads that got caught in a bad situation?

The fact that he wasn't attacked and kicked senseless from the onset indicates that the Thais weren't complete yobs.

Nor does it equate to them being bad boys high on yaba. Have you ever considered that they might, just might, be normal lads that got caught in a bad situation?

The fact that he wasn't attacked and kicked senseless from the onset indicates that the Thais weren't complete yobs.

from the video and the witness accounts, the thais struck the falang first. I'm not defending either but rather offering a possible other side to the one sided "drunk falang bashing" that was going on in this thread.

and I don't think we can jump to any concrete conclusions about the Thais being (or not being) complete yobs

Edited by Jayman

Looks more like they were beating on a drunk

notice how they all jumped in typical coward male Thai style

Yep. They fight in packs. Can't stand seeing one of their own getting beaten down can they?

True, however. I have seen numerous times groups of Thai men beating on a single Thai man. Reasons unknown, but cowardly non the less.

Looks more like they were beating on a drunk

notice how they all jumped in typical coward male Thai style

Yep. They fight in packs. Can't stand seeing one of their own getting beaten down can they?

They fight in packs - terrible people. Not like in the western world eh Chops, where it is just man to man, no gangs beating one man to death; always Marquess of Queensberry eh?

. I never understand why farangs insist on fighting in Thailand. No matter how drunk you get, you need to remember where you are and walk away.

I saw a farang 3 nights ago get ejected from a beer bar by the Thai owners in Pattaya New Plaza area. After being ejected he tried to go back to keep up his ignorant drunken rants when a burley Thai man came out punched and he fell on the road, then the Thai man kicked him whilst he was on the ground. He was unconsious for a few minutes when a couple of farangs pulled him off the road into a nearby "safe bar" where some assistance was given to him.

Still he would not leave the scene and further wanted to create problems in that bar. Then the Police arrived and he argued in his drunken state with cop. The cop told him several times to leave but he kept on at him. Eventually he moved on but not without arguing for at least 15 minutes with the cop. Now how is that for a brainless idiot farang, taking on Thais and Thai Police.

I'm not defending the above guy's actions, but many tourists come here not realising the futility of arguing/fighting with a Thai guy/BiB. From the tourist brochures and guide books a first time visitor might well believe that he is in a civilised country where there is such a thing as an impartial police force and the rule of law.

Brainless idiot farang is possibly not correct, brainless ignorant farang is maybe more apt.

Does it really matter if there is an impartial police force?

If you want to be an a-hole, take far away from me.

. I never understand why farangs insist on fighting in Thailand. No matter how drunk you get, you need to remember where you are and walk away.

I saw a farang 3 nights ago get ejected from a beer bar by the Thai owners in Pattaya New Plaza area. After being ejected he tried to go back to keep up his ignorant drunken rants when a burley Thai man came out punched and he fell on the road, then the Thai man kicked him whilst he was on the ground. He was unconsious for a few minutes when a couple of farangs pulled him off the road into a nearby "safe bar" where some assistance was given to him.

Still he would not leave the scene and further wanted to create problems in that bar. Then the Police arrived and he argued in his drunken state with cop. The cop told him several times to leave but he kept on at him. Eventually he moved on but not without arguing for at least 15 minutes with the cop. Now how is that for a brainless idiot farang, taking on Thais and Thai Police.

I'm not defending the above guy's actions, but many tourists come here not realising the futility of arguing/fighting with a Thai guy/BiB. From the tourist brochures and guide books a first time visitor might well believe that he is in a civilised country where there is such a thing as an impartial police force and the rule of law.

Brainless idiot farang is possibly not correct, brainless ignorant farang is maybe more apt.

Does it really matter if there is an impartial police force?

If you want to be a drunken a-hole, take far away from me.

So apparently the foreigner started the faracas by damaging the Thai guys car???? http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/06/13/2-pattaya-beat-zap-foreigner-with-stun-gun-surrender-to-the-cops/

Well of course we know it wasn't the thai guys fault. They claim they didn't even stun gun him. I sure hope the white guy stays far away from the police station or next thing you know he'll be paying dearly for all he's done to destroy the great image of Thais and Pattaya.

In almost every Thai car there is a weapon of some kind, my brother in law used to carry a machete, one of his friends had a home made single barrel shot gun.

Believe me, its better to wise and act cool and wriggle out of it if you can,,,,,at least you'll live to walk away.

• 2 months later...

Jayman, that is really scary. I really did not know. Sadly, I shall expect stun guns to be used in many petty crimes in future.

Those are all toys and wouldn't bring a geko to his belly. They are battery operated and not the real Stun Guns.

Jayman, that is really scary. I really did not know. Sadly, I shall expect stun guns to be used in many petty crimes in future.

Those are all toys and wouldn't bring a geko to his belly. They are battery operated and not the real Stun Guns.

All stun guns are battery powered. That's how they are portable. Or are you suggesting they have some new power source for them now? Fusion reactor perhaps?

Normally the word "faring" refers to WHITE foreigners. Now I am not prejudice but this guy looks Middle Eastern and there is a reason that most bars won't allow them in. The first time I saw this was when I was sitting in a bar on walking st. years ago people watching and a few Middle East men stopped and were looking in the bar as if they were going to come in. The mamasan ran out quickly and told them to move on and they did. I asked her how they could do this (I wasn't aware of laws in Thailand at that time and in Canada and most Western countries they could be shut down for refusing entry because of nationality) anyways she told me that they are just rude, ignorant and cheap and cause trouble everywhere they go.

This fat (not well built) man could have easily started it it by being rude or belligerent. Who knows for real.

The real issue is the guy that stopped in his pick-up truck, got out, shocked the guy then drove away. His license plate number is clearly shown but do you think they will find and charge him? I don't.

Normally the word "faring" refers to WHITE foreigners. Now I am not prejudice but this guy looks Middle Eastern and there is a reason that most bars won't allow them in. The first time I saw this was when I was sitting in a bar on walking st. years ago people watching and a few Middle East men stopped and were looking in the bar as if they were going to come in. The mamasan ran out quickly and told them to move on and they did. I asked her how they could do this (I wasn't aware of laws in Thailand at that time and in Canada and most Western countries they could be shut down for refusing entry because of nationality) anyways she told me that they are just rude, ignorant and cheap and cause trouble everywhere they go.

This fat (not well built) man could have easily started it it by being rude or belligerent. Who knows for real.

The real issue is the guy that stopped in his pick-up truck, got out, shocked the guy then drove away. His license plate number is clearly shown but do you think they will find and charge him? I don't.

guy looks white to me

All stun guns are battery powered. That's how they are portable. Or are you suggesting they have some new power source for them now? Fusion reactor perhaps?

Have you ever heard of "rechargeable" ? You think that a 9 volt battery can drop a 220 lb man?

Have you ever heard of "rechargeable" ? You think that a 9 volt battery can drop a 220 lb man?

rechargeable are batteries mate. What do you think you are charging? Or do you think your cell phone is not battery powered as it is rechargeable?

Also.. it' not the voltage of the battery that matters but the amps

Edited by Jayman

Its not the amps guys. Stun guns / tasers output high voltage low current. You could make a 50KV output from a 1.5v AA battery if you wanted to. The electronics contained in these guns multiply the input voltage up to the desired one.

Its not the amps guys. Stun guns / tasers output high voltage low current. You could make a 50KV output from a 1.5v AA battery if you wanted to. The electronics contained in these guns multiply the input voltage up to the desired one.

You need high amps to do that or the battery wouldn't be able to handle it.

Edited by Jayman