Neighbour Problem - Stinky Chickens!

Jetpiloteyes

I recently acquired a new neighbour who just completed his house on the next door plot where he now lives with his family. He has erected a shed in which he now keeps dozens of chickens for egg production (and sale I assume). I have no idea whether the egg farming is a registered business.

As the prevailing breeze heads from my house to his, we now have a frequent stink of chicken manure virtually throughout our house and in the garden. At best it is unpleasant, at worst almost impossible to bear.

I plan to very politely approach him to discuss this problem and hopefully achieve some improvement. However, I was wondering whether anyone knows about the laws in Thailand regarding odour control, and should he refuse to take any action, whether there are legal avenues I can investigate to be more persuasive.

This would be a last resort. I am hoping that he is considerate enough to try and deal with the problem.

Many thanks for any advice...wai.gif

Buy a couple of foxes...

Or buy his chickens off him...

Pay the BiB to pay him a visit

"laws in Thailand regarding odour control".....cheesy.gif

"I plan to very politely approach him to discuss this problem"......so you speak fluent Thai ?..its a problem for you, not him

"I am hoping that he is considerate "...guess again

• Like 1

If you are in town or even village something can be done.

Suggest having a word with the neighbour first as it is possible they are ignorant of the inconvenience they are causing.

Failing that have a word with the local council(orbitor) office. Believe it or not there are rules in place to stop this sort of thing and sometimes they are even enforced.

A guy I know successfully stopped pigs being farmed in the middle of town.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

as others have said, it all depends where you are located,

If you are in Town, then maybe something can be done, if you are in the village, or just outside the village, then good luck, these people have being living with chickens for thousands of years, they are not going to change now because we moved next door. I live in the outside perimeter of a village a couple of kilometers outside KKC, many people have chickens. No body raises an eyebrow.

You are in an urban area? Two words that will make the health authorities take note: BIRD FLU.

true. your neighbour is not allowed by thai law to set up a chicken business in an urban area. if he says its just for personal consumption, then you may have a problem. how many does he have ?

I had this problem with my neighbours but they only had about 8 chickens. however they did stink also. i just rewarded my wifes 2 sons and 2 neices that if they killed a chicken i would give them 100 baht for each one. she realised they were starting to disappear after 3 and then moved them to her sons house a little further into the countryside. good luck.

However, I was wondering whether anyone knows about the laws in Thailand regarding odour control, and should he refuse to take any action, whether there are legal avenues I can investigate to be more persuasive.

blink.pngw00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Sorry but you're SOL, unless it's worth your while to bribe him. If you had some clout with the puyai baan or other connections maybe it wouldn't even cost you that much.

A neighbor could set up a pig slaughter or an all-night outdoor disco and you've got no comeback, most expecially being at the bottom of the food chain as a foreigner.

If you're a sensible fellow you haven't bought but just rented, so it should be no problem to just move away.

There are laws for the categories of obnoxious odours, dangerous fumes and so on, but I doubt if the local authority would take a complaint regarding the smell from chickens seriously.

Near my way there is a big factory that produces tin cans. This factory has been emitting obnoxious smells and gas since it opened 10 years ago. The local residences have been battling with the authorities for years to have something done about this factory and the case is still going on. So I would guess a complaint over some chickens would have no chance.

Your first line of action should be to have some words with the neighbour to see if between you some sort of compromise can be agreed on. If that fails than have a word with the headman of the village.

Other than what I have suggested above, than I’m sorry to say that I doubt if there is much more you can do. On the other hand, as a last resort, if your wife has a large family which includes some hefty brothers and cousins, asking them to have a few discrete words with the neighbour may do the trick, but please don`t say it was me that told you.

"as the prevailing breeze heads from MY house to HIS" and "any laws in Thailand regarding odour control"

See that is a true animallover ! Take a shower now and then, and you will probably be able to keep your visa.

However, I was wondering whether anyone knows about the laws in Thailand regarding odour control

On a scale from 1-10. This question deserves a point 8 on the 'ask the most stupid question' scale.

I love this part: "He has erected a shed in which he now keeps dozens of chickens for egg production"

Can you relocate? rolleyes.gif

Semper, Can I add you to my who would you want to meet list. You seem to be a sensible fellow. wink.png

Edited by VocalNeal

Offer to buy his eggs for him if he gets rid of the chickens. Other than that I'm afraid that you are SOL.

SOL ?

Which one is it please ?

[edit]Companies

[edit]Organizations

[edit]Culture

[edit]Fiction

[edit]Music

[edit]Mythology

[edit]Video games

[edit]Beer

[edit]Currency

[edit]Sports

[edit]Other uses

[edit]See also

• Like 2

If you are in Town, then maybe something can be done, if you are in the village, or just outside the village, then good luck, these people have being living with chickens for thousands of years, they are not going to change now because we moved next door. I live in the outside perimeter of a village a couple of kilometers outside KKC, many people have chickens. No body raises an eyebrow.

Hi,

Thanks for the reponse.

I live on the outskirts of a town. It is a residential area, but fields nearby. Sure I know that people commonly keep a few chickens. Many of my other neighbours have a few, and they scratch around in the road and cause no problems. Also ducks, cows and goats common here and don't cause any problems. This neighbour though, has at least a 150 chickens in a specially-bulit pen. It is clearly for business, not just his own needs.

There are laws for the categories of obnoxious odours, dangerous fumes and so on, but I doubt if the local authority would take a complaint regarding the smell from chickens seriously.

Near my way there is a big factory that produces tin cans. This factory has been emitting obnoxious smells and gas since it opened 10 years ago. The local residences have been battling with the authorities for years to have something done about this factory and the case is still going on. So I would guess a complaint over some chickens would have no chance.

Your first line of action should be to have some words with the neighbour to see if between you some sort of compromise can be agreed on. If that fails than have a word with the headman of the village.

Other than what I have suggested above, than I’m sorry to say that I doubt if there is much more you can do. On the other hand, as a last resort, if your wife has a large family which includes some hefty brothers and cousins, asking them to have a few discrete words with the neighbour may do the trick, but please don`t say it was me that told you.

Many thanks for the comments. Hopefully we can work it out acceptably for both parties. This would be a whole lot better than getting the local authorities involved and escalating the whole thing. And, as you point, authorities are rarely much help in these matters. Hearing about the tin can factory makes me feel strangely lucky! Not sure that starting a gang war is necessarily the right option!

Edited by Jetpiloteyes

Buy a couple of foxes...

Or buy his chickens off him...

Pay the BiB to pay him a visit

"laws in Thailand regarding odour control".....cheesy.gif

"I plan to very politely approach him to discuss this problem"......so you speak fluent Thai ?..its a problem for you, not him

"I am hoping that he is considerate "...guess again

Sure, not holding out a whole lot of hope on the 'considerate' front. I am pretty well acquainted with neighbor relations in these parts, and being considerate doesn't seem to be a high priority.

Thanks for the comments. I live on the outskirts of a mid-sized town. A residential area but near fields. A lot of people around here keep the odd chicken, duck, goat, cow, etc. which wander around the neighborhood and don't cause problems. This guy, though has upwards of 150 chickens in a specially-built pen. Clearly for bulk sale, not personal consumption.

If you are in town or even village something can be done.

Suggest having a word with the neighbour first as it is possible they are ignorant of the inconvenience they are causing.

Failing that have a word with the local council(orbitor) office. Believe it or not there are rules in place to stop this sort of thing and sometimes they are even enforced.

A guy I know successfully stopped pigs being farmed in the middle of town.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks for the advice. Good to hear that things can be stopped, even if it is the exception to the rule...

Your neighbours land, his country etc etc.. I would be having a few ghost parties myselfbiggrin.png

2010-10-30-09-51-41-3-she-took-two-images-of-the-ghost.jpeg

I would be having a few ghost parties myself, people tend not to hang around for long .

Ha ha! The family are Thai Muslims, and not so superstitious as Thai Buddhists perhaps... No sign of a spirit house...