Selling A House In Chiang Mai

westbounder

My wife and I are selling our fully furnished 1-1/2 year old house here that is just outside of San Kamphang.

It is a small 2 bedroom house in a nice quiet Moobaan.

I was wondering what is the best realtor in Chiang Mai to sell this for us as we are looking for a quick sale and need the money because we bought land in the SanPatong area.

Any ideas will be appreciated

• Like 1

I find ThaiVisa Classifieds and Baht Sold are quite effective, also

put some flyer's up in Rimping Supermarkets,it wont cost you

anything,

If you are selling at a fair price you should have no problem,

how much do you want for it anyway.?

regards Worgeordie

The inquiries I get on mine come from Thai Visa and a sign outside the house.Of the 3 agents we appointed end of last year not one has sent us a potential buyer,total waste of space.

For a short time about 3 weeks ago we thought we had sold only to find the buyer bought another property on the same moo baan for around the same price they had offered us but did not proceed. sad.png

I guess you are in the 1-2mill? range which if the location is good seem to sell reasonably quickly.We are in the upper mill which reduces potential buyers considerably.

As a matter of interest the "buyer" of the other property is Thai so they do buy older properties! wink.png

We bought our house and property from HT property they have a web page and offices are near the night bazaar. Very friendly and relatively honest as far as any salesperson is.

If you only advertise on this sight or baht sold, you limit your prospects.

I say why limit to foreigners and spouses. Sell to Thais too.

Not saying Westbounder does or doesn't do anything different but fair price and property seems to be an oxymoron here in Thailand.

...you seem to be an expert on property prices...do you rent,or "own" a property here?...what is a fair price?

I'd imagine it be well under 1 million. So that's a relatively easy sale at that end if the market; for the price of an average car you get a whole house, with some furniture thrown in.

Ok, it's in Sankypeng and the OP made the wise choice to move to Sanpatong, but its still decent value.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

We bought our house and property from HT property they have a web page and offices are near the night bazaar. Very friendly and relatively honest as far as any salesperson is.

You would be surprised how many Thais read Thai Visa classifieds. Many of them buy from foreigners and re-sell to Thais at higher prices. I kid you not!

It's all in the pricing. My friend has a home he wants to sell. it has been on the market for 5 years now. Not a single looker. He wants 2.5 million. He wants his cost of all built ins as well as furnishing and then some profit. other homes next to his sold in days for 700,000. I really don't like his furnishings nor built ins and would gut the whole place if it was mine. You need to be realistic. The home I got now was just a shell and I was happy to do everything like I wanted. Yes I have paid more to make it how I want than I purchased it for. but it is mine. Not someone elses idea of what is the perfect home.

Same guy also has 7 rai of land out your way. He wants 7m for rice land. I say why would anyone want to buy it? Land next door is 200,000 a rai and you want 1m a rai. same view, same driveway. Again, no lookers in the 3 years it has been on the market

You would be surprised how many Thais read Thai Visa classifieds. Many of them buy from foreigners and re-sell to Thais at higher prices. I kid you not!

I found most Thai willing to spend more on houses than farang when purchasing but want to pay less when rent.

Not saying Westbounder does or doesn't do anything different but fair price and property seems to be an oxymoron here in Thailand.

...you seem to be an expert on property prices...do you rent,or "own" a property here?...what is a fair price?

Hello Funcat, sad to say I am not an expert on anything,I dont own any property,but the wife does, A fair price ?,I would think that would be what a buyer and seller are happy with, there is no real valuation system here,so some sellers are asking ridiculous prices,for what are just ordinary properties ,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

It's all in the pricing. My friend has a home he wants to sell. it has been on the market for 5 years now. Not a single looker. He wants 2.5 million. He wants his cost of all built ins as well as furnishing and then some profit. other homes next to his sold in days for 700,000. I really don't like his furnishings nor built ins and would gut the whole place if it was mine. You need to be realistic. The home I got now was just a shell and I was happy to do everything like I wanted. Yes I have paid more to make it how I want than I purchased it for. but it is mine. Not someone elses idea of what is the perfect home.

Same guy also has 7 rai of land out your way. He wants 7m for rice land. I say why would anyone want to buy it? Land next door is 200,000 a rai and you want 1m a rai. same view, same driveway. Again, no lookers in the 3 years it has been on the market

No doubt your friend will be round to offer you a beer for promoting his properties so well..

Hello Funcat, sad to say I am not an expert on anything,I dont own any property,but the wife does, A fair price ?,I would think that would be what a buyer and seller are happy with, there is no real valuation system here,so some sellers are asking ridiculous prices,for what are just ordinary properties ,

regards Worgeordie

Hi Worgeordie,thanks for your post,but I was actually referring my questions to "fair price-Thailand-oxymoron" post...I do agree with you on the seller/buyer issue,however the problem is how to set the "fair price" on ones house,if there is no referral sales around your area and no professional appraisers...I'll start with the amount spend on it as a base,plus some extra for the negotiating factor,unless someone wants to make a significant profit...

Unless one is no "must sell" situation,that will be actual approach IMO ...The costs of building a new house have gone up significantly,so why would one want to sell the house below cost,no mention "the stress factor" of constructing a house here?!

BTW,what's is an average cost (Baht/sqm) of construction of the new "mooban" type house here in CM anybody knows?

I may be alittle adrift but my estimating rule of thumb for average spec build would be around 11,000-13,000bt per sqm PER floor level...(lower spec say 10k; high spec 15k+)

Then add on approx 6/8,000 per sqm for outside areas, such as deckings;verandahs, car ports, balustrades.

This would get you a pretty good ballpark without the measured BOQs

Then a contingency for the garden landscaping/boundary walls/trees/pond......but thats very individual and needs a specific cost.

Now if a major contractor/developer was doing this; add on for his profit and management.....and then you have your totally unreasonable build cost.

I found most Thai willing to spend more on houses than farang when purchasing but want to pay less when rent.

+1

No doubt your friend will be round to offer you a beer for promoting his properties so well..

I don't drink and he has moved on but wonders why things are not selling or even having anyone look at his properties

BTW,what's is an average cost (Baht/sqm) of construction of the new "mooban" type house here in CM anybody knows?

Depends how far out it is.

Within 10Km a S/H 2/3 bedroom house is about 1Mbht (New sell for 1.4Mbht)

Outside of 20Km you can get a 4 bed on 1 rai for 2Mbht , 2/3 bed would be 600-800kbht

@OP

How much do you want?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Depends how far out it is.

Within 10Km a S/H 2/3 bedroom house is about 1Mbht (New sell for 1.4Mbht)

Outside of 20Km you can get a 4 bed on 1 rai for 2Mbht , 2/3 bed would be 600-800kbht

@OP

How much do you want?

Hey Tommo,do you red your own posts?...I've asked about cost per sq/m and Eyecatcher answered that within limits,I guess...

BTW,where did you see that 4 bdr on 1 rai for 2mil ?

Hey Tommo,do you red your own posts?...I've asked about cost per sq/m and Eyecatcher answered that within limits,I guess...

BTW,where did you see that 4 bdr on 1 rai for 2mil ?

About 5KM beyond Mae Rim. Had a look about 6 months ago.

Sorry, I'm not a builder can't answer cost per sq/m.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Absolutely - it is a numbers game if you look around you can find a variety of free property listing websites and I used this one a couple of years ago to sell my condo http://www.asiapropertyworld.com

There does seem to be a huge number of properties on the market in Chiang Mai so as I see it the only way to try and get a quick sale is to offer it at a cheap price.

The most significant problem to deal with in Chiang Mai is the lack of regulation and obviously amateurish and generally lazy people who purport to be agents. That is true elsewhere!

But anyone's brother-in-law or cousin can claim a 3% finder's fee, and most will promise that they have a friend at the amphur who will save you money! So, you have a lot of work to do! And no real experience to help you!

The rules of real estate are basically the same everywhere. Generally: location, location, location. You have to talk around a lot to decide what's workable for you wherever you are.

General trends? Certainly the local,Thai and global economies make a difference, or floods, but don't forget the basics!

Be prepared. Get a good lawyer beforehand to do the deal and a contract to work with that YOU provide for negotiation.

May you have good fortune!

By the way, what IS Donald Trump's secret?! He seems to be such a congenital idXXX!

• 5 months later...

...dam_n...I almost didn't find my own ad in TV classifieds...some "agents" are busy putting ALL their listings there !!!...I only saw 20(!!) pages just for CM,but there is more...

....anyway...here is my listing and hoping to sell soon,before my longer trip back to my home country...so,if you interested...and the price is,well,negotiable smile.png

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estate/houses-for-sale/4-bedroom-4-bath-big-family-home-for-sale-196169.html