"Thai Only" Sign Seen At Mbk

upinthesky

All it means is that the staff don't know any foreign languages. Nice of them to tell us (and saves them embarrassment).

Then they should put a sign saying "we only speak Thai"

How can you talk about this subject , with out talking about discrimination, where the intent of the singe is to exclude a set people.

It seems logical to suppose that they can write only in Thai then. So how do they get their message across?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it's more to do with copies not getting spotted by foreign company employees than race.

There's also a lot of Japanese only signs around Thailand at a certain type of entertainment venues also no Thais only foreigners are allowed into another kind of entertainment venue.

The 'No Thais' sign is in English, it's to stop foreigners taking prostitutes back to their room.

I figure they thought 'No Thai prostitutes' was too rude.

So it's alright to bring a Russkie girl back then? I see a business opportunity here for the supply of false Cambodian or Lao passports that the Thai girls can use,

Think again about a sign being too rude. There is no prostitution in Thailand. cheesy.gif How I commiserate with all those frustrated sex tourists having travelled so far to get their 'jollies' only to be disappointed.

Probably because they have no English speaking staff on hand, and are fed up with foreigners thinking if they shout louder they will be understood!!

This is the true definition of a Thai apologist. What reason do you have to believe that? From the sign, it is quite an assumption to make.

I believe this comes from the colonial attitude that foreigners know best what Thais are thinking, even when they say something different. They just don't get it that the person might actually mean what they say.

To me, this notion is more insulting than taking their word for it.

This sign is NO different from those in the South (US) in the fifties that said "Whites only" or "No jews of dogs allowed."

Lucky for the Thais who are racist jerks (not all of them, of course), they have people like you to defend them.

Whoops! Yet ANOTHER rant from the 'other side'.

Show me your Thai apologist and I will raise you two farang bigots. They LOVE gambling here don't they?

People have the right to be bigots. The Thai constitution however, prohibits discrimination as per this situation, not that the laws or constitutional rights are respected by Thais, only when it is convenient for them.

Ah yes, I forgot the International Court of Human Bigots Rights.... forgive me my oversight.

The Thai Constitution? Now THAT is funny.

I have no doubt that the sign means what it says. Having said that, I have mixed feelings.

It is illegal, and should be taken down. At the same time, they are already paying the economic price for their own stupidity with forgone business.

What would be interesting to see though is to see the TV punters offended my this sign to organise a picket out the front of the shop singing 'we shall overcome'. I mean white people, a clearly persecuted part of the community.

Then they should have a minimum cover charge that covers a certain amount of drinks

This Thread is quickly becoming boring, How many different ways can we make the same point?

I don't think it's an indicator of a major cultural shift or the beginning of an apartheid era in LoS, but it is stupid and obnoxious. For a store owner in MBK to put a subtle 'fuc_k you farang' (lets be honest, that's what it is) does demonstrate that the owner is an ass, and I have no problem with you pointing that out siri. For the fellas criticizing you and talking about political correctness... puh-leaze.

I get the sensation that if the bar owners in cowboy made a determination that they preferred Japanese customers and put up a collective "no Farangs allowed" on the Soi, these gents would be the first to scream bloody murder.

I know I would. tongue.png

Edited by PaiMei
  • Like 1

What is more interesting than the sign is the reaction of the Thai customers. If I saw a sign that said 'white people only', I wouldn't go into the the shop and I think most white people would feel the same. Realising they were losing customers, the shop would have to take the sign down. As this 'Thai customers only' sign is up, it's obvious there are plenty of Thais who are happy with the policy. There are plenty of alternative shops in MBK so clearly plenty of Thai customers would prefer not to rub shoulders with filthy foreigners like us.

Hotels in Bangkok refuse blacks and Indians.

The above was a thread/topic some time ago on TV.

I can't post the link as I cannot copy and paste on my phone.

May be someone else can

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

If that is correct then that would also be wrong, illegal under the Thai constitution, and not a desirable practice in a country where tourism is a large part of The GDP.

Many bars refuse to serve Indians. One go-go bar barred them. A group would sit around with one drink between them at the go-go bar. Same at some of the other bars. So they are refused service. The bars want customers who spend money.

Then they should have a minimum cover charge that covers a certain amount of drinks

This Thread is quickly becoming boring, How many different ways can we make the same point?

No. They do what is best. If you are in their bar and not drinking or eating and solely there to take up space that paying customers want, you ask them to leave.

If they continue to use the premises and not purchase something then you bar them. As have these places.

I imagine it's more to do with copies not getting spotted by foreign company employees than race.

There's also a lot of Japanese only signs around Thailand at a certain type of entertainment venues also no Thais only foreigners are allowed into another kind of entertainment venue.

The 'No Thais' sign is in English, it's to stop foreigners taking prostitutes back to their room.

I figure they thought 'No Thai prostitutes' was too rude.

I have heard it before. The no Thai sign is to prevent from farang bringing a prostitute into the room. Not a discrimination issue.

Although many places with these signs have no problem letting Thais in with young foreigners of a similar age.

It seems some of these places discriminate against dirty old men.

Phew, thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes: I would've been really upset if they hated all foreigners alike. annoyed.gif

I have no doubt that the sign means what it says. Having said that, I have mixed feelings.

It is illegal, and should be taken down. At the same time, they are already paying the economic price for their own stupidity with forgone business.

Is it illegal? Under what Thai law exactly? It would be fun to print out a copy of that law and walk into the shop. If anyone tries to kick me out, I'd just show then a copy of the Thai law they are breaking.

What is more interesting than the sign is the reaction of the Thai customers. If I saw a sign that said 'white people only', I wouldn't go into the the shop and I think most white people would feel the same. Realising they were losing customers, the shop would have to take the sign down. As this 'Thai customers only' sign is up, it's obvious there are plenty of Thais who are happy with the policy. There are plenty of alternative shops in MBK so clearly plenty of Thai customers would prefer not to rub shoulders with filthy foreigners like us.

Or they cannot read English.

TH

Is it illegal? Under what Thai law exactly? It would be fun to print out a copy of that law and walk into the shop. If anyone tries to kick me out, I'd just show then a copy of the Thai law they are breaking.

Nothing illegal here. There is no PC thought police in Thailand. Every business can decide with whom they want to have business.

As it should be.

What would be interesting to see though is to see the TV punters offended my this sign to organise a picket out the front of the shop singing 'we shall overcome'. I mean white people, a clearly persecuted part of the community.

Samran, you grew up in Australia as did my Thai daughter. I have no doubt that as anywhere you struck people who discriminated but I am sure the majority did not and you had/have many white australian friends. I am sure of the reaction of any of these if someone had tried to ban you from a place, be it restaurant bar or shop because you were thai.

Most of us do not protest in public on general protests but if it affects one of us we will.

In some ways here is better than there in others worse but I see no reason not to object if things are wrong.

Nothing illegal here. There is no PC thought police in Thailand. Every business can decide with whom they want to have business.

As it should be.

So 'No Niggers' is fine by you?

I posted this information on page two of this topic. From the Thai Constitution.

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

Men and women shall enjoy equal rights.

Unjust discrimination against a person on the grounds of the difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, disability, physical or health condition, personal status, economic or social standing, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, shall not be permitted.

From the Thai Senate website - Constitution 2007.pdf

I'm sure you can find a Thai version somewhere if you look around.

I posted this information on page two of this topic. From the Thai Constitution.

Section 30. All persons are equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under the law.

This applies to public institutions. Everybody has same rights under the law. As it should be.

But there is no law which forces a business to have business with someone they don't want. Businesses are free here. As it should be.

This applies to public institutions. Everybody has same rights under the law. As it should be.

But there is no law which forces a business to have business with someone they don't want. Businesses are free here. As it should be.

It applies to all not just public institutions.

Correct.

No, this is how you are educated in your Western PC thinking.

It does not apply here. People do discriminate all the time, and it is ridiculous to prohibit that.

But under the law, by public institutions, courts, police, schools etc., everybody shall be treated equally.

But businesses are not forced to sell to everybody, hotels don't need to accept every customer etc. Hookers are not forced to go with fat men... etc. As it should be.

Probably because they have no English speaking staff on hand, and are fed up with foreigners thinking if they shout louder they will be understood!!

This is the true definition of a Thai apologist. What reason do you have to believe that? From the sign, it is quite an assumption to make.

I believe this comes from the colonial attitude that foreigners know best what Thais are thinking, even when they say something different. They just don't get it that the person might actually mean what they say.

To me, this notion is more insulting than taking their word for it.

This sign is NO different from those in the South (US) in the fifties that said "Whites only" or "No jews of dogs allowed."

Lucky for the Thais who are racist jerks (not all of them, of course), they have people like you to defend them.

I was making apologies for no one, just stating the obvious. By using the word "sorry" in the sign the shop owner was clearly apologetic for not being able to cater for customers other than Thai.

If they were "racist jerks" as you suggest then i am sure the sign would have just said "f)&k off falang"!!

It is quite amazing really since rents are so high at MBK for what I had believed was because there were so many farang around that area. It just goes to show you the rising purchasing power of Bangkok Thais where a business can open in a tourist mall and voluntarily exclude foriegners.

I should just go to this shop with my iphone on video record. Find the owner, and ask her or him <deleted> is their problem is. What they gonna do, kick me out? Call the police? Hell I wish they would, Id step out the store hand the cop 500 baht and walk right back in. F these people.

Well it seems once again the 'bend over and take it we are guests in this country blah blah' or the simply 'I can see no problem with it' (so why bother posting then?) brigade have been in the majority here. The excuse that 'Well, maybe the poor darlings can't speak English and we don't want to embarrass them' line is utter codswallop. Most Thais find it difficult to string a sentence in English (or would you prefer I refer to it as 'passa farang'), so that's that one out the window.

Has anyone bothered to ask this shop owner why he/she is not welcoming any other custom other than Thai?

why would anyone care a flying fart and waste his/her time to ask that question? "bend over and take it" indicates how big your selfesteem/confidence is. you must be one of these Farangs who ask soi dogs why they are barking, pigeons why they shit on your terrace, Thais why they poke their noses in public and later complain in a forum "soi dogs, pigeons and Thai people are xenophobic and disgusting!"

and yes! i am a guest in this country which has treated me and my wife quite well since years. a stupid or perhaps intelligent (who knows?) shop owner has the right to put up any stupid or intelligent sign, or whatever he feels like, does not affect my attitude towards Thailand.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I should just go to this shop with my iphone on video record. Find the owner, and ask her or him <deleted> is their problem is. What they gonna do, kick me out? Call the police? Hell I wish they would, Id step out the store hand the cop 500 baht and walk right back in. F these people.

F these people...

...is what the shop owner thinks! laugh.png

• Like 1

Correct.

So the thai only lines at immigration are in conflict with the Thai constitution??whistling.gif

Edited by canman
  • Like 2

Perhaps the shop owner had to deal in the past with people showing similar behaviour as you.

Makes perfect sense then to put up the sign "Thai Only". Yes, it is unfair to the well behaving farangs, but a business has to protect itself and cannot accept damage from a certain clientele.

• Like 2

Well it seems once again the 'bend over and take it we are guests in this country blah blah' or the simply 'I can see no problem with it' (so why bother posting then?) brigade have been in the majority here. The excuse that 'Well, maybe the poor darlings can't speak English and we don't want to embarrass them' line is utter codswallop. Most Thais find it difficult to string a sentence in English (or would you prefer I refer to it as 'passa farang'), so that's that one out the window.

Has anyone bothered to ask this shop owner why he/she is not welcoming any other custom other than Thai?

why would anyone care a flying fart and waste his/her time to ask that question? "bend over and take it" indicates how big your selfesteem/confidence is. you must be one of these Farangs who ask soi dogs why they are barking, pigeons why they shit on your terrace, Thais why they poke their noses in public and later complain in a forum "soi dogs, pigeons and Thai people are xenophobic and disgusting!"

and yes! i am a guest in this country which has treated me and my wife quite well since years. a stupid or perhaps intelligent (who knows?) shop owner has the right to put up any stupid or intelligent sign, or whatever he feels like, does not affect my attitude towards Thailand.

coffee1.gif

Yep I agree. Too much political correctness being imported from the West.

Instead of talking about it, go and do it already. Either that, or shut the <deleted> up about it. (Just using words you can understand)

It is quite amazing really since rents are so high at MBK for what I had believed was because there were so many farang around that area. It just goes to show you the rising purchasing power of Bangkok Thais where a business can open in a tourist mall and voluntarily exclude foriegners.

I would suspect that tourist business at MBK runs between 10-20 percent depending on the season, Probably closer to 10 percent overall.

Also not sure what makes MBK more of a "tourist mall" than say paragon, emporium terminal 21 or even chatujack.

regarrding the sign, i personally couldn't care less. if i can turn away certain nationalities who wish to rent my property, why cant they? At least they are upfront about it.

Edited by tinfoilhat