Thailand To Upgrade From Squat To Sit-Down Toilets

webfact

Thailand to upgrade from squat to sit-down toilets

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's health ministry has introduced a new programme to replace squat toilets with the sit-down version at all public facilities, officials said Tuesday.

Deputy Public Health Minsiter Surawit Khonsomboon said the new loo policy was necessary to prepare for the country’s increasingly aged population.

The number of people over 60 years old will reach 14 per cent of the population in 2015, compared with 10 per cent in 2005, according to the United Nations Population Fund.

"We will start by replacing squat loos this month at government buildings, public schools and other public places such as national parks," Public Health Ministry spokeswoman Suchada Salaboon said.

All houses and buildings in Thailand must include toilets, according to an Interior Ministry order dating back decades. Squat toilets are popular, particularly in the rural areas, because they are cheaper that sit-down, flush toilets.

"Now we need to upgrade our toilets a bit," Suchada said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-12

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrade, as in height from the floor? With real plastic seats and lids? Somewhere to chat on the iPhone, read the newspaper, and play games on the iPad in comfort, at last? Somewhere the aged, obese, arthritic and otherwise infirm can actually emerge from unscathed?

Or will it be a high-speed-train-like upgrade from squat toilets to the Japanese-style multiple-push-button bidets now found in some Bkk shopping centers?

Oh frabjous day!!!

Edited by Reasonableman

Now the ministry didn't say these would be the kind with a water tank and you can flush; so maybe the upgrade will just be a raised version of the squat type (i.e., minus a flush tank).

Now the ministry didn't say these would be the kind with a water tank and you can flush; so maybe the upgrade will just be a raised version of the squat type (i.e., minus a flush tank).

So it is a change from squat and drop. to sit and drop? I was hoping for the royal flush.

Edited by gand
  • Like 1

Well with the senior citizen being the reasoning behind this, will they make provisions to handle the large crowds who will venture out of their homes, to access this improvement.

The trend to more people being overweight would probably be better rational, but who am I to argure with a Thai health minister.

everybody'll squat on the plastic seat instead...........personally, I prefer squat down bogs....don't like sitting on a just used placcy seat........least of all in Asia.......so easy to catch Hep etc through small skin abrasions ...........squat downs for me .

• Like 2

If you install the sit on type it may encourage Thais to read. smoke more. nod off.

Did the Mr happy say how much the new charge for a leakage would cost ??? it will dishearten some people. Here I sit broken hearted paid 5 bht and only !!!!!!!.

Imagine queues once there is a toilet close by. There was no mention of paper and soap, items not usually available in Thai bathrooms. Upscale malls notwithstanding.

Paper and soap not available in most UK toilets either. Often the toilets in the UK don't even have seats. And visit a music festival in the UK and you'll look forward to coming back to a modern Thai squat toilet.

I don't know where you live in th UK but I for one don't see what you mention saying, "paper and soap not available in most Uk toilets".

If I did happen to want to use a toilet and there was no paper as I always check especially when in a pub, as on the odd occasion it's run out or some idiot has thrown it on the floor and pi**ed on it or it's been stolen a polite request to staff normally does the job and it's Buisness as usual.

I have seen on the odd occasion a broken or no seat and on the point of music festivals I'll agree with that one.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Imagine queues once there is a toilet close by. There was no mention of paper and soap, items not usually available in Thai bathrooms. Upscale malls notwithstanding.

Paper and soap not available in most UK toilets either. Often the toilets in the UK don't even have seats. And visit a music festival in the UK and you'll look forward to coming back to a modern Thai squat toilet.

Supermarkets, McDonalds, fast food outlets.. garages.. there is an array of decent toilets that are checked hourly.