Mosquitoes And The Farang

Blueskyramblinman

Having spent 7 total months in Thailand with 2 months back home to USA between August 2010 - May 2011.

( 5 months living in Bangkapi and 1 month each in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai )

I was wondering from anyone's experience with the mosquitoes here do they prey on you as badly as they did me?

Do they ever let up and let us be or will you always be a target?

What can you do besides the obvious of not going out in early morning or late in the daytime, having a mosquito net to sleep under, have windows with screens, keep your doors closed at all times etc etc...

Any one have any suggestions short of not living in Thailand which would not qualify for a suggestion in this topic.

Thanks

Edited by Blueskyramblinman

In part answer to your question ... yep ... they find us particularly tasty.

You’re not Robinson Crusoe there.

Has been asked in different formats before ... particulary funny guys asked about if anyone had been bitten on the ass while standing at the toilet.

There there were 5 plants that repel Mossies

Lots of interesting responses ... and I'm sure you'll get more here.

Fans seem to work particulary well as they blow them off course.

Robinson Crusoe = you are not alone

Only really bother my feet these days . I wear a pair of knee length Gortex socks at dusk or dawn which are the only things I could find apart from neoprene socks that are of a sufficiently tight weave. I suspect Thai's get bitten just as much but the Immune system doesn't react quite so much.

I've been working in Africa for the last 5 odd years, commuting between there and LOS for the last 3,, and my opinion is at times they can be slightly worse here than in the area where I work, strangely I don't seem to get bitten when I'm home here until after the first two or three weeks back, now not so bad as before but the little beggars seem to go for around the back of my ankles most when they do strike, tried most repellants to little effect although haven't tried the garlic, probably most effective for me when seated would be the smoke coils, although not practical whilst out walking around, guess we just have to try harder to live with em

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

And I thought my feet were getting bitten by ants because of them being on the ground barefoot at my wife's house. Never realized mosquitoes were flying stealth to attack my feet.

Felt strange to wear socks but I was left with no alternative. I will have to get my zapper racquet ready to be on constant alert while inside until I can come up with another solution

When I remember I use Aeroguard but otherwise if I don't they don't really bother me.I told my Thai hubby its because I eat Vegemite !!!(When i used to be a cook on camping tours around Europe -eons ago- there were usually Kiwis, Aussies and Poms on the trips.The mozzies used to love the Poms but they normally left the Antipodeans alone and yes -we always had plenty of vegemite on board!)

My fantasies of balmy evenings in breezy, open spaces surrounded by tropical garden has been dealt a BIG reality check. I hardly sit on the verandah these days, and if I do, I have mozzie coils everywhere plus RID on every bit of exposed skin. When I am at home, I am usually indoors, with insect screens on windows and doors shut.

I have citronella plants all along verandah but the effectiveness of these as mozzie repellant is limited. Burning citronella oil make the space nice smelling but the mozzies still come. Those dreadful smoky mozzie coils seem to work best but as I dislike them, I try to stay indoors these days.

In fact, one of my main reasons for living in a house (ie nice verandah and garden) is now negated by dreaded mozzies...so I am looking to move to an apartment above the mozzie line, which I have been told is the 10th floor or higher to be mozzie free.

Well thats a shame. I tend to spend most of my time outdoors or at least in the porch. I'd get rid of the citronella plants and any other plants that are close to your verandah. I'm sure mossie coils tend to attract them too.

You know you can find very light clothing these days that's impregnated with mosquito repellant. I have a shirt and some trousers made of this material but I'm generally happy in any type of long Pants, socks and maybe a pair of desert boots or something. I think you really have to keep the vegetation at least a few meters away. I've sat in gardens advertised for there beauty while you eat, and while you eat the mossies eat you.

A large industrial fan, say 200W plus should be quite effective too.

What would you do in the middle of a rain forest or in some swamp somewhere. its a no brainer. you'd cover up, head to toe.

That's pretty well my attitude as well.

It's not bad upstairs because we get a breeze off the mountains every night and I have a pedestal fan next to the bed.

Mozzies hate moving air.

I very rarely get bitten upstairs and we sleep with the windows open, no screens.

Maybe one bite a night downstairs... on the ankles.

We use a small lemongrass oil/spray called "Nam man ta khai hom" that you can buy in local markets which is pretty good and "smells nice"..cost about 50 Bt.

When walking over the mountains or working in the field agree on wellies and coveralls ..blue shirt job.

That's pretty well my attitude as well.

It's not bad upstairs because we get a breeze off the mountains every night and I have a pedestal fan next to the bed.

Mozzies hate moving air.

I very rarely get bitten upstairs and we sleep with the windows open, no screens.

Maybe one bite a night downstairs... on the ankles.

i am also lucky...i live upstairs and rarely get any mozzies even with doors and windows open....and even though i have a klong that runs along the property not really that many mosquitos....there is a big mountain full of caves next door and i suspect about a zillion bats come out everynight and patrol which no doubt helps.....the klong also has lots of little fish and frogs and the like that i would guess eat a lot of larvae etc...and i also seem to have a lot of birds always hanging around the yard as well.....anyway....downstairs and out in the yard gets some but usually some bug spray keeps them at bay.....and in the cool season they pretty much completely disappear for several glorius months...

• Like 1

I came to Thailand eagerly anticipating a year round tropical climate, fully aware of the disadvantages but willing to tolerate them in return for the year round heat and humidity I like.

Every now and then I think about moving further south to achieve this goal but I'm pretty settled now.

My fantasies of balmy evenings in breezy, open spaces surrounded by tropical garden has been dealt a BIG reality check. I hardly sit on the verandah these days, and if I do, I have mozzie coils everywhere plus RID on every bit of exposed skin. When I am at home, I am usually indoors, with insect screens on windows and doors shut.

I have citronella plants all along verandah but the effectiveness of these as mozzie repellant is limited. Burning citronella oil make the space nice smelling but the mozzies still come. Those dreadful smoky mozzie coils seem to work best but as I dislike them, I try to stay indoors these days.

In fact, one of my main reasons for living in a house (ie nice verandah and garden) is now negated by dreaded mozzies...so I am looking to move to an apartment above the mozzie line, which I have been told is the 10th floor or higher to be mozzie free.

Get an electric bug zapper and hang it on the veranda. They can be quite entertaining also when the big ones go ZAP and vaporize.

• Like 1

most mosquitoes come out from sewer pipes and drainage channels early evening and disperse. They seem to be attracted to the damp, dark and CO2 rich environment there. When they come out early, they are very hungry - so I stay indoors. If I have to go out - I use lemon grass oil or the less pungent variety you can buy at any 7-Eleven. Some people also develop a kind of immunity - just like bee keepers getting immune from bee sting after so many bites. Mosquito bites are worse for new comers as your body has a nastier allergic reaction to mosquito bites.

Those black light "mosquito" traps actually zap more benign insect than mosquitoes. While it may be fun to hear the zaps, it actually does nothing to reduce the mosquito density in that area.

If you have plenty of standing water nearby, please make sure that there are no mosquito larvae growing there. If there is a small pond or pool - perhaps, you could release some fantail fish to get rid of the larvae. Make sure that there are no mosquito breeding grounds nearby. Cover containers, get rid of trash.

Edited by toybits

When I first arrived to live in Thailand the Mossies drove me crazy. Multiple bites that itched for about three days, mostly on the back of my legs and arms. After being here for nearly five years I still get bitten, but not nearly as much. Also the bites only itch for about 24 hours and not nearly as badly as they used to. I think that your body eventually gets used to the bites and adapts. So what used to be a complete nightmare has been reduced to a minor irritation. If I know that I'm going to be out of doors for the evening I use "Off", either in the spray or the cream format. This reduces the chance of getting bitten substantially. I do a check around the bedroom with a battery powered mosquito bat before going to sleep each night, but there's usually one or two hiding somewhere. It's just part of the price you pay for living in a tropical country.

• 3 months later...