300000 Baht

Smokemachine

Tell your GF or wife no

May I know why? My wife mum used to harvest rice. But she is getting old. Ploughing rice land is hard work. So my wife thought of getting other more relax business for her to do. Her sibling will help as well. So I thought what can they do with 300000bt for a small biz? Market stall? Drink stall? No idea which are the more profitable one?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

What's the location? As said perhaps a noodle business for Thai customers, selling for around 20/30 baht a serving. Dependent on location say around 300/500 baht a day profit; do the maths. In any case if you want to provide income for the family your wife should be able to sort it out. If she has no idea on the type / profitability of a small business in Thailand, don't invest unless you can afford to loose your money.

Oops, I presume you not expecting to get your money back; just trying to be a nice guy

Edited by simple1

What's the location? As said perhaps a noodle business for Thai customers, selling for around 20/30 baht a serving. Dependent on location say around 300/500 baht a day profit; do the maths. In any case if you want to provide income for the family your wife should be able to sort it out. If she has no idea on the type / profitability of a small business in Thailand, don't invest unless you can afford to loose your money.

Oops, I presume you not expecting to get your money back; just trying to be a nice guy

Along with car he is buying, plus been looking at buying house/land etc and moving the family in with them.....so going to a be a real happy family....wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

My wife is planning out. For myself, I really no idea. So thought of sharing in TV and maybe I can get some ideas from you all. :)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

As mentioned before,what is the location, small village or on the outskirts of a sizeable town.....do some research, or ask your wife to do the research as to what other types of stalls etc. are there and tell her to ask the locals what is missing.

Basically anything to do with food....everyone has to eat, not everyone needs dust collectors (useless items that my wife likes to buy).

Once said business is picked, ask for a rough business plan. Just something simple, location, cost for rent, power, total start up cost.

Then a simple running cost. Cost of supplies, selling price and how many units need to be sold to turn a profit. The very very basics. Make sure they can back up the numbers.

If wife, mother in law or anyone involved can not provide these very simple things should they really have a business? Most people I meet in Thailand that want a business but never had one do not understand everything involved.

Your not asking for them to provide collateral, pay interest or even pay the capital back? A bank would ask all of the above and you just want a plan, not to much to ask.

If money comes in easy it goes out easy.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App

If the old girl used to pick rice, then she's a farmer. Buy her a few pigs to raise and pay for the startup and feed. If she's smart, she'll let them fatten, breed and produce more piglets, then take sell the fattened pigs. If she's not so smart, she'll eat them before they a fattened enough for market and produce no piglets. Won't cost you a bundle and your can see where any further investment might head.

As mentioned before,what is the location, small village or on the outskirts of a sizeable town.....do some research, or ask your wife to do the research as to what other types of stalls etc. are there and tell her to ask the locals what is missing.

Basically anything to do with food....everyone has to eat, not everyone needs dust collectors (useless items that my wife likes to buy).

And then be prepared to have 3/5 copies of the business within a few months

Along with car he is buying, plus been looking at buying house/land etc and moving the family in with them.....so going to a be a real happy family....wink.png

Thank you ... we are finally beginning to make the connection.

Noodle stalls are a dime a dozen, it's a tough market to break into and make any real money if you ask me. But then that would all depend on the location. If you can find the one small corner of Thailand that doesn't already have one, and yet needs one, you'll cash in.

One thing that always strikes me about food in Thailand, is that while there is an overabundence of food stalls, the vast majority don't make particularly great food. Yes, many are passable, just, but to find a real jem is sometimes hard. There are simply too many 'me too' businesses. People see someone who can cook being quids in, and they want in on the act too, but without having the required skills to do it.

Edited by LucidLucifer

If the old girl used to pick rice, then she's a farmer. Buy her a few pigs to raise and pay for the startup and feed. If she's smart, she'll let them fatten, breed and produce more piglets, then take sell the fattened pigs. If she's not so smart, she'll eat them before they a fattened enough for market and produce no piglets. Won't cost you a bundle and your can see where any further investment might head.

a) Organic rice...sells well, own small rice mill.

B) having ducks+fish for eating the insects. Sell Ducks+Fish+Duck eggs

c) optional having chicken

d) optional having pork

e) make a flyer that it is all 100 % natural and that fact can be checked at any time.

Natural food is just coming to Thailand and the Chinese are willing to pay a fortune for it. Important is direct marketing.

Noodle stalls are a dime a dozen, it's a tough market to break into and make any real money if you ask me. But then that would all depend on the location. If you can find the one small corner of Thailand that doesn't already have one, and yet needs one, you'll cash in.

One thing that always strikes me about food in Thailand, is that while there is an overabundence of food stalls, the vast majority don't make particularly great food. Yes, many are passable, just, but to find a real jem is sometimes hard. There are simply too many 'me too' businesses. People see someone who can cook being quids in, and they want in on the act too, but without having the required skills to do it.

Half of the time my staff cook themself, because all that food outside isn't good....and that in Bangkok.....

Several times I heard them, while eating "mai arroi". So good food might also sell good. Cooked with good fresh oil instead of old palm oil. Not adding MSG and sugar....

95% sure this money will be completely pissed down the drain, unless you are going to take responsibility for making everything happen and manage it day to day with them as your reluctant employees.

If they haven't been entrepeneurial yet you can't make them so, and the necessary skills, experience, education and character traits are likely lacking.

Believe me they think your funds are inexhaustible, so have no consideration of return on investment, this will simply be seen as a way for them to "gain face" for a while and then everything will go back to normal.

Unless you keep pouring the money into the black hole.

Give them outright gifts or allowances if you like (IMO stupid), but don't expect any positive results or even gratitude.

Wise words from Big Johnny. Only when it is your wife's money, your wife's face etc. on the line, only then will there even be a chance of success. Don't do it.

It always amuses me when travelling on Thailand's highways. You will see no shops or businesses for mile after mile, and then you come across 20 or so roadside stalls huddled together selling exactly the same things at exactly the same prices. Safety in numbers? YES Price fixing? YES

Thank you ... we are finally beginning to make the connection.

There is one born every day. He is handing over his money and his life. Once started on this path it can only go downhill.

I know an older (50+) farmer who now makes some sort of breakfast pastry early each morning and sells them in her village. She usually sells out by about 9 or 10. She makes about 30,000 per month, and her start-up costs were certainly well below 50,000, much less 300,000.

In Bangkok, I know a younger MBA who has a small stall selling coffee and pastries she buys from a vendor. She is on the bottom floor of an office building on Rama IV. She clears 60,000 after expenses each month.

I think the guy is a newbie who has never lived here. Married his wife fresh of the boat and there is an lare age difference / looks difference and he thinks he has to do everything to keep her. This way he will be through his money fast and is no longer needed.

I really think the OP should stop spending so much and slow down before there is nothing left. If your spending make sure its in your name and it really looks like he is handing it all over.

• Like 1