Fish 'N Chips

OldeBellPedr

Sometimes you read a complaint about a restaurant and think someone's had a bad experience. Sometimes you read a complaint and think you'd never want to meet the guy in a bar. I think Pedr is correct to hope never to see him again. The guy would probably be bad for business.

But....

Page 2 and we haven't even touched the topic of 'best Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai'. What's going on?

Naboo , your comments go double for me..... I know Pedr, I know his food, and I know many, many people who have had only the best of meals and evenings as a whole at The Olde Bell. OP if you were treated in a manner you feel beneath your status in life, I can only feel that Pedr had just cause for doing so.

Very few individuals would sign up to a forum just to make a bitchy post. But even if that is what you did, you seem to have had the reverse effect on most readers. If you in fact had an unpleasant meal and evening, there is a way you could make a post regarding your complaint, in such a way that would so inform the readers, while not making that post seem as you are too over the top with yourself.

As you stated , you had owned hotels and restaurants in the past, one can only assume the reason you no longer have them may be the manner in which you handle problems....

I find it difficult to understand any good food service establishment owner, being faced with a customer complaint not trying to correct the problem . Pedr has stated he tried. I can only guess that the only reason that he would shrug and walk off, is that he was faced with someone acting in a pompous ass manner.

I would suggest that you rethink your attitude at the time, as well as the way in which you made your complaint known. A livid complaint after one bite and your wife sending her dinner back with complaint, when never have taken a bite, does leave room for question.

In any event, I , along with I am sure many others , am sorry that your experience with Chiang Mai has had the result to make you so unhappy, and do hope that your future holidays, in other locations , may be more to what and how you feel you should be treated.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I also ate Fish and Chips at the Old Belle the other night and have to admit I have never eaten at the Old Bell in the 6 years I have lived here with the exception of one Christmas dinner.

Here is my review after reading that LOAD OF <deleted> from the french frog

I was initially a bit concerned cos it was beer battered but after I got it I have to say the best, most authentic seaside fish and chips I have tasted in the 6 years I have been here, FISH WAS DELICIOUS soft and the chips were the DOGS <deleted>

I really enjoyed it only complaint I had is, since I am a fat bastard was it was a bit of small portion but to be honest that is not really a complaint when you consider it was only 100 baht and for that it was EXCELLENT VALUE and I will be back for sure for the full price option in the near future.

this is an independant review and I only met Pedr on that same night for the first time and have no other reason to write this than to refute what the frenchie guy wrote which was a bunch of old TOSH.

Stick to your frogs legs an snails frenchie and leave the fish and chips to us Englishmen that know good fish and chips when we see it.

DK

My Old Bell experiences have been mixed, not being at all related to the U.K., it just didn't pull me. One night out with "X" we planned to eat at Chez Marco (one of the very few farang places she liked) but too crowded and too long wait for the table so I looked at the extensive menu streetside at Old Bell, decided to try.... I ordered a steak sandwich, she had F&C. Sorry to say it was awful, but I just figured well, the English are famous for awful food so.... fast forward a couple years. I had read many post on TV by "Pedr" and often thought well he seems to be a good sort, So one day he was having an early closing and cheap BBQ due to an election. I decided to stop by, really fun, great BBQ, warm potatoe salad.... I really enjoyed the way everyone conversed with each other, Pedr has a good sense of humor, closing time we all stumbeled out slapping each other on the back and laughing.

So, what kind of fish is used here for the F&C ?

Let me start out that I was the second one who complained that day.

And let me also say the food was wonderful.

With that, now let me tell my story if your willing to read on. (it does have a happy ending)

Having seen the post on the forum, and liking fish and chips, I decided to try it as a treat. I have a more limited budget than most, having a family here and working like any normal Thai here. I was happy a photo of the place was on the post. I drive down the road regularly but have never noticed it. There was parking out front ( for my motorbike) as well as a sign of special's that noted the fish and chips as well as a photo. I couldn;t tell you the other special's becasue my heart was set on the fish and chip. We entered right after another couple and a man was sitting at the bar that looked like he has spent a good anount of his time there passing his day. I was very happy to see The Bangkok post as well as a few other papers to catch up on some of my reading. We found a table and shortly there after menus were given. Not 1 but 2 menues each, I think breakfast as well as a lunch dinner menu. Now I must say I was a little worried that only us two couples were in there at the lunch hour as well as the regular fixture at he bar. As a suggestion, with all the Expats who live here and usually have a wife or GF in tow, or tourest here with there part time gf's. A page of Thai food in Thai might be helpful to get more customers. I know it is not a Thai restaurant, but I know in my case or many others, we need options for the mrs. to eat. We only could find 2 Thai like dishes, and she asked about a few common Thai dishes but the help came back and was told no. I ordered the fish and chips the wife ordered fried rice. I would say there were some things on the menu I have not seen anywhere else in Thailand that I wouldn't mind trying in the future.

It seem that this place has more import beer selections than anywhere I know in Thailand. And would be a great find to those who like beer. Sadly I do not partake. I thought water prices were high at 25 baht and my normal 10 baht coke was 40 baht, same cost as a house drink with alcohol, so I passed and we just split a water.

The other couple was served first, as they should be and I did not mind the wait as I could read the paper. When our meal came, the food was hot, look wonderful, and was good sized. It tasted as good as it looked.and I have no complaints with the food we were served. Hot and delicious !

Whe It was time to go, that is where the trouble started. When I asked for the bill it was about twice what I expected. And I questioned it. At this point the fixture at the bar stood up and said,"don't worry about it" "This is Thailand" Well I didn't want to hear that for it was more than I could afford at the time as well as not what the price should have been. A phone call to some one and things were partly corrected in my mind. I paid and left.

I have always been of the school, a businees show how good they are when things go wrong, and not when they go well. With in a sort time, all my questions were answered and all things worked out better than I ever expected.

I will return and try some ot those other things I wanted to try on the menu soon.

With an order of 2 dishes and a bottle of water, I've got to say that I find it hard to visualise any circumstances where the bill could be calculated to be twice what you expected let alone what a partial resolution could have involved.

Three items, add them up and there you go. No?

... I thought water prices were high at 25 baht and my normal 10 baht coke was 40 baht, same cost as a house drink with alcohol, so I passed and we just split a water.

I would imagine from these comments there's not a single pub or restaurant owner in Thailand whose face will light up as Jeffrey walks through the door. Jeffrey doesn't have any money and he feels it's valid to 'split a water' and expect '10 baht coke' in a restaurant.

With an order of 2 dishes and a bottle of water, I've got to say that I find it hard to visualise any circumstances where the bill could be calculated to be twice what you expected let alone what a partial resolution could have involved.

Three items, add them up and there you go. No?

I thought the same, but it was more. The "New" girl did not know the Fish and chips special and charged a higher cost for 2 of the 3 items ordered

... I thought water prices were high at 25 baht and my normal 10 baht coke was 40 baht, same cost as a house drink with alcohol, so I passed and we just split a water.

I would imagine from these comments there's not a single pub or restaurant owner in Thailand whose face will light up as Jeffrey walks through the door. Jeffrey doesn't have any money and he feels it's valid to 'split a water' and expect '10 baht coke' in a restaurant.

I eat out daily, but not the tourist areas that often, I rather spend my money on my home and daughters education and future than Beer and bar girls.

The normal price for that water is 5 baht at 95% of the places I go even ones in the same area. (they buy it for just over 2 baht and a 100% mark up is not bad) As for the Coke he buys for 8 baht like all other restaurants in Thailand, Yes it is regulated by the government, and most charge 10 baht as suggested, but yes I have been to a few at 15 and even one at 20 Baht.

It's true, A pub is not my normal hang out place, I work and have a family. If you read what I wrote, I did say the food was wonderful.

And I would guess more places I eat than not are very happy I go there, as I would think of this place too as they invted me back soon

Did they ever invite you personally to eat there ? or have you ever even ate there ? I invite your to try it, it's good !

I eat out daily, but not the tourist areas that often, I rather spend my money on my home and daughters education and future than Beer and bar girls.

The normal price for that water is 5 baht at 95% of the places I go even ones in the same area. (they buy it for just over 2 baht and a 100% mark up is not bad)

I go out to many Thai restaurants as the g/f only eats Thai food with the exception of pizza and pasta. Sorry but in 5 years here I have never seen a restaurant charge 5 THB for a bottle of water. 10 minimum. It is fairly common in Phuket for a restaurant to charge 20-40 THB for a bottle of water. What would you do there? Not drink any?

I don't drink coke so I can't comment on prices. Sounds like a big fuss over nothing.

I went in on Thursday lunchtime also to have the fish and chips special that was advertised on this thread as from 11am, Pedr was just leaving as I got there, we said hello and good bye sort of thing. Me and the wife sat down and was given the breakfast menu by the staff, I asked if we could have the fish and chip special but was told that it wasn't available till 6pm and we could have breakfast only. Not really wanting that we left and went elsewhere for fish and chips. I know Pedr well enough to know the food would have been good and I think it was just a communication's mistake between him and the staff, but that was my experience of The Olde Bell's fish and chip day (night as it was)

The normal price for that water is 5 baht at 95% of the places I go even ones in the same area. (they buy it for just over 2 baht and a 100% mark up is not bad)

I go out to many Thai restaurants as the g/f only eats Thai food with the exception of pizza and pasta. Sorry but in 5 years here I have never seen a restaurant charge 5 THB for a bottle of water. 10 minimum. It is fairly common in Phuket for a restaurant to charge 20-40 THB for a bottle of water. What would you do there? Not drink any?

I don't drink coke so I can't comment on prices. Sounds like a big fuss over nothing.

Remember this is Chiang Mai and not Phuket. I have been there a few times but don't really expect to return. Most heavy tourist areas like Phuket and Pattaya the prices are simply higher

I would say more places than not give free endless water. From street vender to higher end place like River Market and even the Shangra-La I would be happy to take anyone around to hundreds of shops that serve free water as is even the custom at many businesses

Your actually helping me prove my point. Where I did say the food was good and I will return. I offered some suggestions how to gain more customers and for them to make more profit. Durring my hour and a half there, there was only my wife and I as well as 1 other couple that entered the place. THhs was from just before noon to almost 1:30 the lunch hour for most. Their menu is limited when it comes to Thai food and the Menu is all in English. My wife like yours is reluctant to go to a place like this. Where if she had a few more choices and could easily read the menu I know she would be happy to return with me more often.

Remember this is Chiang Mai and not Phuket. I have been there a few times but don't really expect to return. Most heavy tourist areas like Phuket and Pattaya the prices are simply higher

I would say more places than not give free endless water. From street vender to higher end place like River Market and even the Shangra-La I would be happy to take anyone around to hundreds of shops that serve free water as is even the custom at many businesses

I agree with with everything you have said here. I wasn't trying to get into an argument with you. But I was talking about bottled water, whether it is Glacier or Nestle or whatever brand. They could not sell it for 5 Baht. I buy 24 bottle cases of Glacier and pay 4 Baht per bottle delivered. People have to make a profit somewhere don't they?

Yes I am all for profit. And a company needs that to stay in business.

The glass bottles of water he gets that are good sized at about 750 ml if I am not correct are Chang and cost my friend at her restaurant 2.18 Baht each so at 5 Bt.he would be making over 100% profit. as he did on his food he sold and mostlikly even higher on the beer he sells but I really don't know the numbers for beer.

Yes I am all for profit. And a company needs that to stay in business.

The glass bottles of water he gets that are good sized at about 750 ml if I am not correct are Chang and cost my friend at her restaurant 2.18 Baht each so at 5 Bt.he would be making over 100% profit. as he did on his food he sold and mostlikly even higher on the beer he sells but I really don't know the numbers for beer.

Are you for real moaning about the price of water in a restaurant/bar...go and get a life! or stay home with your kids...believe me you will not be missed even by the noodle carts.<deleted>

• Like 1

Sorry but JeffreyMcCollum has a point.

He should not be overcharged with the "well this is Thailand" from the owner, the owner is responsible for the actions and competence of his staff.

As for what JeffreyMcCollum spends that is up to him, he should still get the correct bill.

I ate there once and would not bother again, but that is my choice.

Sorry but JeffreyMcCollum has a point.

He should not be overcharged with the "well this is Thailand" from the owner, the owner is responsible for the actions and competence of his staff.

As for what JeffreyMcCollum spends that is up to him, he should still get the correct bill.

I ate there once and would not bother again, but that is my choice.

If you read the thread very, very carefully Dave, you will note that it wan't me (the owner) that said "well this is Thailand" it was one of my valued regulars exersizing his right to free speech. In the end Jeffrey did get his correct bill.

Although I, of course am responsible for my staff, I am not responsible for the fact that few Thais want to work and that well trained staff are extremely difficult to come by.

Amazing that a thread offering cheap fish 'n chips should be dissected so comprehensively!! You live and learn!

Don't tell me you you didn't know already (Khun Pedr) that few things raise the passions of the CM forum more than a thread containing FISH and CHIPS. .... by the way I'll ask again, what sort of fish do you use there? Good point about staff, that being why it is hard to have a consistent good product. .....any BBQ plans in the near future?

Don't tell me you you didn't know already (Khun Pedr) that few things raise the passions of the CM forum more than a thread containing FISH and CHIPS. .... by the way I'll ask again, what sort of fish do you use there? Good point about staff, that being why it is hard to have a consistent good product. .....any BBQ plans in the near future?

We use John dory fish Daoyai, which has similar qualities to Cod, though its texture is more flaky. As to BBQ's we usually put one on per week. This week is complicated as the Thais are holding an election this Saturday (Saturday, mark you, not Sunday as is usual. Which will mean no booze from 6pm Friday to 6pm Saturday.......probably....! I will post further when we are more certain of the details

Edited by OldeBellPedr

I pillioned down to the Olde Bell for the fish & chips last Thursday and I must commend Pedr on the quality. For 100baht I thought it was great, and the beer was cheap too! 2 fish & chips, 4 pints of beer and a gin & tonic for 440baht, for me and the driver.

not bad!!

Is it every Thursday?

If it is I'd probably make it a regular visit.

An old Army mate who I hadn't seen in a decade and his brother came from OZ to pay me a visit so I took them and the wives to have the Fish n' Chip special at the Old Belle.

I am not a regular, this was my first meal there, but I have drank there a few times and watched the Aussie Rules Football on TV.

I must say that the food was good, Pedr (who I know by sight only) and the staff pleasant and the price unbeatable.

We all walked away happy which makes me want to say if you go out looking to have a good time with a positive attitude and not being a grumpy grumblebum, then surprise surprise you might just enjoy yourself.

Fish 'n Chips will be 100 baht this Thursday, but rather more low key than last Thursday. 100 Baht Fish 'n Chips will be on every Thursday until the end of July, and from next week we will be offering some other meals at around 100 baht or less.

Please remember these offers are being offered at around the same profit margin as JeffreyMcCollum would like me to make on a bottle of water, so bear with us! If you have a problem with the food, tell me straight away and I will put it right, if I'm not there, my phone number is on our business cards at the bar, phone me. It's difficult to rectify problems once peoples trembling typing fingers have got to work on Thai visa or other forums!

Fish 'n Chips will be 100 baht this Thursday, but rather more low key than last Thursday. 100 Baht Fish 'n Chips will be on every Thursday until the end of July, and from next week we will be offering some other meals at around 100 baht or less.

Please remember these offers are being offered at around the same profit margin as JeffreyMcCollum would like me to make on a bottle of water, so bear with us! If you have a problem with the food, tell me straight away and I will put it right, if I'm not there, my phone number is on our business cards at the bar, phone me. It's difficult to rectify problems once peoples trembling typing fingers have got to work on Thai visa or other forums!

So I dont miss out next time mate, what time are you doing these?

In the mean time, and being very far away from the OP's business, I try to understand your reactions. Mixed feelings for sure. Amused with so many nonsense but sad as well with the hatred bad remarks. Obviously after this post a lot of trash will be throw at me again. I don't mind as it says all about the people posting those replies and nothing more.

Why should I come to you to complain Pedro? I told your staff immediately after touching the fish and chips with the back of my hand and after one bite only. One can even see with the eyes when food is cold or hot. Did you know that Pedro? She came to you and you shrug your shoulders and ignored us completely. It is YOUR responsibility and job to come to us. Not the other way. I am YOUR CUSTOMER my friend and I pay you. Please a bit respect for your customers instead making a fool and troll of me.

I would NEVER EVER complain if nothing wrong; why should I?

You sold 40 portions and 4 complaints only? That's 10%, and how many tourists do not complain? How many you sold the next day and the day after?

If I am a French tourist can I not come to your restaurant? Reading the replies I better not. Is it not safe for me anymore with all your supporters around?

Djeez. Happy we left Chiang Mai and feel home again.

No Pedro there is nothing wrong with me. My brain and senses are still OK and as good as before when I taught people (managers) of large companies how to behave and how to manage. So I think I know what I am talking about. If something is cold and tough, it is cold and tough and when the manager doesn't want to fix a problem he doesn't want. Period. Both applied to our dinner last week at your place. Again, our brains and senses are still OK and when your "maestro" writes that our plates were warm and nothing wrong with it, only two remarks apply:

- he checked the wrong dishes and meals

- he is a liar.

No other options and both are not so good being a talented man as he apparently is having all his admirers, supporters and fans around. To make things clear for all one more time; I am talking about OUR MEALS only and of course NOT yours. I guess that not all of you are falling on your knees when meeting Mr. Pedro, so yes, I believe that some are happy and ate the food they like. Nevertheless I notice some fabricated positive posts in this topic.

Can I not express my findings anymore. Why do some want to delete my post? Because it is not what you or your friend like to hear? What a nonsense.

Why can I not post if we are not happy with something. Are we back in the USSR or is this a pseudo-forum or what?

That day, we had bad lunch and dinner just before we left. Still, if we going back to Chiang Mai we would like to return to The Nest. Not to the Olde Bell however. A good functional and decent place to eat consists of 3 main things:

- the kitchen and staff

- the restaurant and staff

- the management

At Olde Bell, all of three were wrong (bad) for us. At The Nest only the first was wrong. The lady of the Nest came to us when she asked if our food was good and I told her it was not. She inspected my dish (my wife's Thai food was OK), went to the kitchen to taste and returned agreeing I was right and she would not charge me if I not wanted another meal. Very good attitude and excuses and I hope we can try her food one day again. I am almost sure it will be enjoyable. Six on a scale to ten even with the bad food.

Things can go wrong but with the correct attitude customers remain happy. At Olde Bell Mr. Pedro looked at us when his staff informed him, shrug his shoulders and walked the opposite way instead coming to us to talk. Zero on a scale to ten.

Apparently some foreigners apply the awful Thai habits now. I quote the OP "After all TIT".

-Take no responsibility and ignore/deny all and everything even if the proof is in front of your nose.

-Run from the scene.

-Make a bad fool of the other one.

Right, apparently TiT at Loy Kroh.

I will not follow this topic anymore as it brings, on top of the already bad experience even more disgusting things to us reading the hatred posts. French people (among other non-Uk's?) are apparently not welcome at the Olde Bell. Continue your behavior. You all building Chiang Mai, Loy Kroh and some restaurants such a friendly and nice place to stay, eat and relax.

In the mean time, and being very far away from the OP's business, I try to understand your reactions. Mixed feelings for sure. Amused with so many nonsense but sad as well with the hatred bad remarks. Obviously after this post a lot of trash will be throw at me again. I don't mind as it says all about the people posting those replies and nothing more.

Why should I come to you to complain Pedro? I told your staff immediately after touching the fish and chips with the back of my hand and after one bite only. One can even see with the eyes when food is cold or hot. Did you know that Pedro? She came to you and you shrug your shoulders and ignored us completely. It is YOUR responsibility and job to come to us. Not the other way. I am YOUR CUSTOMER my friend and I pay you. Please a bit respect for your customers instead making a fool and troll of me.

I would NEVER EVER complain if nothing wrong; why should I?

You sold 40 portions and 4 complaints only? That's 10%, and how many tourists do not complain? How many you sold the next day and the day after?

If I am a French tourist can I not come to your restaurant? Reading the replies I better not. Is it not safe for me anymore with all your supporters around?

Djeez. Happy we left Chiang Mai and feel home again.

No Pedro there is nothing wrong with me. My brain and senses are still OK and as good as before when I taught people (managers) of large companies how to behave and how to manage. So I think I know what I am talking about. If something is cold and tough, it is cold and tough and when the manager doesn't want to fix a problem he doesn't want. Period. Both applied to our dinner last week at your place. Again, our brains and senses are still OK and when your "maestro" writes that our plates were warm and nothing wrong with it, only two remarks apply:

- he checked the wrong dishes and meals

- he is a liar.

No other options and both are not so good being a talented man as he apparently is having all his admirers, supporters and fans around. To make things clear for all one more time; I am talking about OUR MEALS only and of course NOT yours. I guess that not all of you are falling on your knees when meeting Mr. Pedro, so yes, I believe that some are happy and ate the food they like. Nevertheless I notice some fabricated positive posts in this topic.

Can I not express my findings anymore. Why do some want to delete my post? Because it is not what you or your friend like to hear? What a nonsense.

Why can I not post if we are not happy with something. Are we back in the USSR or is this a pseudo-forum or what?

That day, we had bad lunch and dinner just before we left. Still, if we going back to Chiang Mai we would like to return to The Nest. Not to the Olde Bell however. A good functional and decent place to eat consists of 3 main things:

- the kitchen and staff

- the restaurant and staff

- the management

At Olde Bell, all of three were wrong (bad) for us. At The Nest only the first was wrong. The lady of the Nest came to us when she asked if our food was good and I told her it was not. She inspected my dish (my wife's Thai food was OK), went to the kitchen to taste and returned agreeing I was right and she would not charge me if I not wanted another meal. Very good attitude and excuses and I hope we can try her food one day again. I am almost sure it will be enjoyable. Six on a scale to ten even with the bad food.

Things can go wrong but with the correct attitude customers remain happy. At Olde Bell Mr. Pedro looked at us when his staff informed him, shrug his shoulders and walked the opposite way instead coming to us to talk. Zero on a scale to ten.

Apparently some foreigners apply the awful Thai habits now. I quote the OP "After all TIT".

-Take no responsibility and ignore/deny all and everything even if the proof is in front of your nose.

-Run from the scene.

-Make a bad fool of the other one.

Right, apparently TiT at Loy Kroh.

I will not follow this topic anymore as it brings, on top of the already bad experience even more disgusting things to us reading the hatred posts. French people (among other non-Uk's?) are apparently not welcome at the Olde Bell. Continue your behavior. You all building Chiang Mai, Loy Kroh and some restaurants such a friendly and nice place to stay, eat and relax.

Seems some people have too much time on their hands