Us Tax Refund Direct Deposit Into Thai Bank?

I believe an ABA routing number is required for direct deposit and Thai banks do not have that. I would use the check by mail or credit to next years tax (and reduce withholding) if you do not have a US Bank account.

I believe an ABA routing number is required for direct deposit and Thai banks do not have that. I would use the check by mail or credit to next years tax (and reduce withholding) if you do not have a US Bank account.

what good would an amercan check do me in thailand? i don't think any bank would accept it , would they? i don't expect any income this year so carry over is no help.

i heard maybe bangkok bank has a US office, i wonder if i open an account there, i can get an ABA number for the US branch? what do you think?

thanks, steve

Don't you have a Thai bank account? There are thousands of Thai receiving US Government checks every month who deposit into accounts here so I am sure you would be able to do the same thing.

The Bangkok Bank has a US office and an ABA routing number but it is not supposed to be used for transfers into anything but special accounts. I would not chance it. You would not be able to open an account in any case - it would have to be a Thai account.

The ABA routing number for the Bangkok Bank PCL is 026008691 (29 Broadway, 20th Floor, NY, NY 10006 Tel. +1 212 422 8200).

The SWIFT code for Bangkok Bank in Thailand is BKKBTHBK.

I know these work as I did a successful wire transfer earlier this week.

Provided you have an account with Bangkok Bank in Thailand you might be able to arrange for reception, transfer and deposit? This would require some coordination with BB/NY directly I imagine?

An alternative includes receiving a check here then endorsing over to a trusted friend returning to the U.S., who will then cash and bring back USD for you to convert here. Or some Thai banks do take checks on deposit but it might take weeks to clear and who knows what exchange rate you might ultimately recieve.

To do direct deposit, you must have an account at a bank that is part of the Federal Reserve system. The bank must be a participating bank in the Fed's wire system. IRS does not cut a check to your bank. Instead, the Treasury Dept makes an electronic entry into your account. As far as I know, no banks outside the US (except military banking facilities on military bases) can participate in this system.

As for "thousands of Thai" receiving US checks, they either have US accounts they can use or have to wait for their bank to collect on the check. They are only given credit for the money when the check clears.

As for "thousands of Thai" receiving US checks, they either have US accounts they can use or have to wait for their bank to collect on the check. They are only given credit for the money when the check clears.

And that is exactly the point I was trying to make. OP asked what use a check was in Thailand and I pointed out that it can be put into a bank account and that this is done by many Thai who receive US Government checks every month.

And that is exactly the point I was trying to make. OP asked what use a check was in Thailand and I pointed out that it can be put into a bank account and that this is done by many Thai who receive US Government checks every month.

i'll ask my bank if they will accept a US gov check. they seem a bit clueless, not sure what the chances are.

thanks for the info guys.