No Rebroadcasting Signal For Truevisions: Gmm

Lite Beer

Look I understand why many people are bitter it's obvious. What you haven't grasped is that GMM are going to lose their shirts on this deal because they assumed True could be forced into buying. Therein lies the crux. True will get some backlash for sure but the big financial losers are GMM specially if their sponsors take them to task.

Why would GMM's sponsors take them to task? Once GMM on sells to free-to-air, GMM's sponsors don't get any extra exposure. It is free-to-air's sponsors that are losing out, but it is in the contract that free-to-air can't have it rebroadcast, so free-to-air's sponsors should have expected that.

GMM is probably getting a lot more business because people are forced to buy GMM boxes, which means GMM's sponsors are getting better exposure by not allowing the rebroadcasting.

My bad not GMM's sponsors I meant the free to air sponsors of 3,5,9. The free TV channels sold sponsorship advertising packages to recoup the costs that GMM charged them to air the matches. I would estimate that each channel paid between 60-80 million Baht to GMM for the Euro rights.

GMM are doing what they said, the football is free to view on the free view channels, it is not their fault that True tried to pull a fast one and got caught out, it is not GMM saying True can't have it, it is eufa saying true can't have it, something I am sure eufa made True aware of if they had first bid for it. I am pretty sure if you traipse through eufa rules and regulations there will be a rule relating to this that true didn't bother to look for.

As far as i can see GMM have done nothing wrong at all, they have not failed sponsors or advertisers in the slightest.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

true are already a few days into giving a free month, this letter changes nothing as far as i can see, it just reiterates what we already know and what has been discussed previously. There is nothing new here apart from the letter, the contents of which we already had an understanding of.

Isn't it just an upgrade which costs True nothing?

I have no idea, you would need to ask true that, it could be good for them as people may enjoy the upgrade and decide to stick with it, but i really don't see the relevance.

However if they are also forced to return people subscriptions for the month as suggested then that will affect them.

But as we all know, TIT and the biggest loss here is Trues face

Firstly this comes as no shock, isn't one of GMM TV partners on this rights deal a senior Pheu Thai official with football connections. In essence, the reply from UEFA makes sense if they don't have the facts. The broadcast of the programmes on free TV is what UEFA would be looking for. What GMM did not tell UEFA is that anyone who is anyone in Thailand does not access free TV via an antenna. They access through True. So GMM has scammed UEFA into believing that they have a good deal when this is not the case.

Free TV are also now in trouble because they have sold their TV packages to sponsors based on a ROI -this ROI is now completely screwed by not having the True customer base.

GMM have just shafted themselves big time. True can now go to the NBTC with the letter from UEFA and say -look not our problem.

True also have a legit response to their customers.

NBTC the morons that they are now cannot now force True into some ridiculous compensation package for a situation they are clearly not responsible for.

TIT

Free-to-air means no outlay by the viewer ( in some countries you have to buy a license ). Thus free-to-air stations 90% of the time are terrestrial and are accessed by an antenna. Euro 2012 can be viewed in Thailand by using an antenna therefore GMM are complying with the UEFA conditions.

True make a charge for their equipment whether it be a one-off charge or a subscription therefore none of their channels are free-to-air.

Showing channels 3,5,7,9 and 11 may be a compliance with the NBTC but if you fail to pay your monthly subscription all of them (except 9) are cut off thus, with True they are not free.

I'm with GMM and their business acumen.(I bought a GMM box as soon as True's cock-up started). I will keep my True subscription but I will be looking for next month's Platinum package FOC.

How much did that cost? Was it an enforced 1 year subscription? Did they link it to your True satellite dish? Can you get commentary in English? True are not going to give you a free month. That would cost them 2 billion Baht -and now they have the letter from UEFA to ensure this won't happen.

I paid 1,500 baht for my GMM Z Box. GMM is a Pay as You Go subscription. The first month is free. The box receives its feed from a separate dish to my Truevision dish. Both receive their signal from the same satellite.

Yes, I can get a commentary in English.

Because I have all of True's Platinum a la Carte packages a refund of the cost of these is a minimal compensation.

Look I understand why many people are bitter it's obvious. What you haven't grasped is that GMM are going to lose their shirts on this deal because they assumed True could be forced into buying. Therein lies the crux. True will get some backlash for sure but the big financial losers are GMM specially if their sponsors take them to task.

Why would GMM's sponsors take them to task? Once GMM on sells to free-to-air, GMM's sponsors don't get any extra exposure. It is free-to-air's sponsors that are losing out, but it is in the contract that free-to-air can't have it rebroadcast, so free-to-air's sponsors should have expected that.

GMM is probably getting a lot more business because people are forced to buy GMM boxes, which means GMM's sponsors are getting better exposure by not allowing the rebroadcasting.

My bad not GMM's sponsors I meant the free to air sponsors of 3,5,9. The free TV channels sold sponsorship advertising packages to recoup the costs that GMM charged them to air the matches. I would estimate that each channel paid between 60-80 million Baht to GMM for the Euro rights.

GMM are doing what they said, the football is free to view on the free view channels, it is not their fault that True tried to pull a fast one and got caught out, it is not GMM saying True can't have it, it is eufa saying true can't have it, something I am sure eufa made True aware of if they had first bid for it. I am pretty sure if you traipse through eufa rules and regulations there will be a rule relating to this that true didn't bother to look for.

As far as i can see GMM have done nothing wrong at all, they have not failed sponsors or advertisers in the slightest.

Why do you say True tried to pull a fast one. Firstly, they did not buy the rights because it made no financial sense and secondly they were rebroadcasting free to air channels which Thai law says, according to NBTC cannot be tampered with. I do not see any deception here. The only revelation here is one we already know and that is that Thai law is so vague it can be totally manipulated by money and influence.

I don't think GMM have done anything wrong either-they tried to force True to pay them money and it did not work, end of story! When GMM sold the rights to the free TV channels they did not know that True's 5 million viewers would not be able to watch. The ball is now in the court of the free TV channels as to whether they want to do anything about losing the entire top tier of TV viewers.

Sorry just a point from the Post today -apparently GMM are operating a TV service without a legal license. FYI

Edited by Hellhound66

Firstly this comes as no shock, isn't one of GMM TV partners on this rights deal a senior Pheu Thai official with football connections. In essence, the reply from UEFA makes sense if they don't have the facts. The broadcast of the programmes on free TV is what UEFA would be looking for. What GMM did not tell UEFA is that anyone who is anyone in Thailand does not access free TV via an antenna. They access through True. So GMM has scammed UEFA into believing that they have a good deal when this is not the case.

Free TV are also now in trouble because they have sold their TV packages to sponsors based on a ROI -this ROI is now completely screwed by not having the True customer base.

GMM have just shafted themselves big time. True can now go to the NBTC with the letter from UEFA and say -look not our problem.

NBTC the morons that they are now cannot now force True into some ridiculous compensation package for a situation they are clearly not responsible for.

TIT

Free-to-air means no outlay by the viewer ( in some countries you have to buy a license ). Thus free-to-air stations 90% of the time are terrestrial and are accessed by an antenna. Euro 2012 can be viewed in Thailand by using an antenna therefore GMM are complying with the UEFA conditions.

True make a charge for their equipment whether it be a one-off charge or a subscription therefore none of their channels are free-to-air.

Showing channels 3,5,7,9 and 11 may be a compliance with the NBTC but if you fail to pay your monthly subscription all of them (except 9) are cut off thus, with True they are not free.

I'm with GMM and their business acumen.(I bought a GMM box as soon as True's cock-up started). I will keep my True subscription but I will be looking for next month's Platinum package FOC.

How much did that cost? Was it an enforced 1 year subscription? Did they link it to your True satellite dish? Can you get commentary in English? True are not going to give you a free month. That would cost them 2 billion Baht -and now they have the letter from UEFA to ensure this won't happen.

I paid 1,500 baht for my GMM Z Box. GMM is a Pay as You Go subscription. The first month is free. The box receives its feed from a separate dish to my Truevision dish. Both receive their signal from the same satellite.

Yes, I can get a commentary in English.

Because I have all of True's Platinum a la Carte packages a refund of the cost of these is a minimal compensation.

So you can cancel it if you want after the football finishes -cool

"Uefa said that the sub-licensing request had come too late since the tournament was already well underway."

UEFA does not understand Thainess. In Thailand being late is normal. Planning and customer service concepts are unknown in Thailand.

Thank you Grammy, True and NBTC, from now on all my baht will go to foreign service providers. You can play your greedy, selfish games and continue to rip off people, if there is anybody left.

Thailand is a TRUE third world country.

Edited by sinnus99

TIT

I would think UEFA would like football to reach the ~20 million households across Thailand, rather than the ~2 million True subcribers who in your own words describe as "anyone who is anyone". I do not think UEFA are that shallow. I also do not believe that it would have made a difference in UEFA decision.

This whole issue is about purchasing the rights to air the matches. True decided not to fork out any money and hoped to get the broadcast for free. It backfired and shame on them. Whoever GMM partners are is irrelevant.

Actually 75% of viewers in Thailand have switched to satellite dishes as oppose to conventional antenna. So in essence 75% of the nation cannot view this. How is GMM looking now?

Edited by Hellhound66

TIT

The statement from UEFA to GMM clearly states that it is irrelevant that free-to-air channels are rebroadcast on True. True is a pay TV provider and therefore does not have the right to transmit UEFA 2012.

The fact that people choose to access free-to-air via True and not via a separate antenna is irrelevant to UEFA.

Do you think GMM mentioned to UEFA that True has 1 million subscribers equating to circa 5 million eyeballs of all of Thailand's richest and wealthiest upper and middle upper class subjects plus the entire expat community who would be blocked from viewing their tournament because they don't have an antiquated antenna hanging from their roof. Well FIFA is all about grass roots so maybe they wouldn't care anyway. Happy that the farmers in the North East are all enjoying the tournament.

UEFA and FIFA could not care a less at this point

If they did, they would have said "Do what ever you have to do to allow as many people to watch the matches"

UEFA and FIFA got their money ... case closed

• Like 1

Us Rugby fans have been tossed around by broadcasters through Asia for Donkey's years. Welcome to the club. They don't care. Simple as that. They do not care if you can watch it or not. All the people making the decisions can watch it as can their friends, so why would they care about you unless the price is right.

TIT

The statement from UEFA to GMM clearly states that it is irrelevant that free-to-air channels are rebroadcast on True. True is a pay TV provider and therefore does not have the right to transmit UEFA 2012.

The fact that people choose to access free-to-air via True and not via a separate antenna is irrelevant to UEFA.

Do you think GMM mentioned to UEFA that True has 1 million subscribers equating to circa 5 million eyeballs of all of Thailand's richest and wealthiest upper and middle upper class subjects plus the entire expat community who would be blocked from viewing their tournament because they don't have an antiquated antenna hanging from their roof. Well FIFA is all about grass roots so maybe they wouldn't care anyway. Happy that the farmers in the North East are all enjoying the tournament.

UEFA and FIFA could not care a less at this point

If they did, they would have said "Do what ever you have to do to allow as many people to watch the matches"

UEFA and FIFA got their money ... case closed

100% agree. But if they know that 75% of the country can't view the matches I think it would have raised an eyebrow at least. But then they are all crooks at FIFA and UEFA so that eyebrow may not have moved.

Big fine for True then... 20k a day x 19 match days = 340k + loss of subscription fees + customers = **** YOU TRUE!

They won't have to pay any fine since UEFA just sent a letter saying True are not allowed to broadcast the matches. You have GMM and their partners to thank for that.

GMM bought the rights,True did not.True is not free tv,if u r true subscriber and u don't pay ur monthly package they cut ur signal.True had a chance to buy the rights but did not,they also got invited buy GMM,but True did not want.4 hours before the Euro started True started to negiotate with GMM,GMM paid 400 million bt,and True paid how much?'GMM is broadcasting the euro on their own channels.On top they made a deal with channel 3,5,7 [share the advertising profit]also people with a normal antenna can watch the euro for free,so could u tell me please where is the mistake of GMM?

Big fine for True then... 20k a day x 19 match days = 340k + loss of subscription fees + customers = **** YOU TRUE!

They won't have to pay any fine since UEFA just sent a letter saying True are not allowed to broadcast the matches. You have GMM and their partners to thank for that.

GMM bought the rights,True did not.True is not free tv,if u r true subscriber and u don't pay ur monthly package they cut ur signal.True had a chance to buy the rights but did not,they also got invited buy GMM,but True did not want.4 hours before the Euro started True started to negiotate with GMM,GMM paid 400 million bt,and True paid how much?'GMM is broadcasting the euro on their own channels.On top they made a deal with channel 3,5,7 [share the advertising profit]also people with a normal antenna can watch the euro for free,so could u tell me please where is the mistake of GMM?

No mistake from GMM just normal business dealing. However they may have neglected to inform UEFA that 75% of people in Thailand use satellite services to watch free TV and cannot therefore access the programming unless they have a GMM box or a coat hanger. Tried the coat hanger by the way *fuzzy to say the least.

Edited by Hellhound66

Really? you needed to create a new log in just to write this, which department of True do you work for?

True had the option to buy the rights but did not do so, I would have thought someone there would have foresaw this problem and dealt with it, but they didn't. more proof that True don't give a shiny <deleted> about their customers.

You have a fair point with hellhound, joined 13th june and up to now 13 posts on this topic.

Unlucky 13 or what.

True did have a chance to buy in with Grammy but from what I've read chose not to.

IMO it's True who have shafted people, and the main ones shafted by True were their customers.

JMO.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

No mistake from GMM just normal business dealing. However they may have neglected to inform UEFA that 75% of people in Thailand use satellite services to watch free TV and cannot therefore access the programming unless they have a GMM box or a coat hanger. Tried the coat hanger by the way *fuzzy to say the least.

True at a point said they didn't care either. Just cut it off, then, the stupid regulator got involved in fined them, for someone else cutting off the signal, because, bazillions of apartments, restaurants and bars around the country, have True, but no terrestrial aerial, and lo and behold, Grammy hasn't sold enough set top boxes. Oooooops.

And I am sure Grammy told Uefa that they would be going through domestic national channels so Uefa said, goody good, plenty of viewers, license granted, and then the problem of how to deal with True was on the table. Cut them off, and they get fined, or they have to pay for something that anyone with a coat hanger can get for free? In fact the only way for True to have "won" in this situation, would have been to bid and win on their own, and give it back to Channel 3,5,7 for nothing. Bizarre country sometimes.

3,5 and 7 are going to get hung for this, and possibly, GMM a bit too, for forcing national broadcasters to break their contracts. Do you honestly thing Uefa gives too pips about a turf war in Thai cable TV? They got paid, but on this one, True is going to clean up in court, I am sure.

NO. IMO they should be fined a lot more but TIT. IMO what it boils down to is that True thought they could get the rights to broadcast for free and were the ones intent on shafting GMM.

By the way Hellound may I say IMO your not doing a very good job if you work in public relations for true and if you do work for True then get another job instead of working for clowns.

After what's happened GMM owners and directors must be pi**ing their selves laughing at the circus clowns of true.

Don't forget consumers vote with their money and I can see a mass exodus from true.

Edited by MB1

NO. IMO they should be fined a lot more but TIT. IMO what it boils down to is that True thought they could get the rights to broadcast for free and were the ones intent on shafting GMM.

By the way Hellound may I say IMO your not doing a very good job if you work in public relations for true and if you do work for True then get another job instead of working for clowns.

After what's happened GMM owners and directors must be pi**ing their selves laughing at the circus clowns of true.

Don't forget consumers vote with their money and I can see a mass exodus from true.

They have a contract with 3,5 and 7 that they receive their programming, case closed. It isn't True that has cut the signal.

Just to put things in perspective, the following newsflash I found on a Dutch news site (translation by yours truly)

"Wednesday evening the Delft bailiff office Pruijn & Van den Bergh will go round to confiscate televisions during the European Championship match between Netherlands and Germany."

http://www.nujij.nl/....17477203.lynkx

They have a contract with 3,5 and 7 that they receive their programming, case closed. It isn't True that has cut the signal.

Yes they probably have a contract but we don't know whats in the contract,since True is not complaining to much I assume 3,5 and 7 have the right to cut of True,just a thought

Case reopened your Honour.

Care to post a copy of the contract eh.

Next.

I do not work for Truecoffee1.gif purely trying to get the facts straight. True never thought they could get any rights but I am sure they thought that Thai law would be upheld which indicates that rebroadcasted free channels should not be tampered with. True did bid for the rights originally but were beaten by the GMM offer which frankly speaking was financial insanity.

Pi$$ing themselves -unfortunately that will be GMM on how much money they are going to lose on this deal.

Personally I don't think anyone will leave True over this. They were beaten to the rights by GMM and that is just how it works. People will leave True if GMM offers a cable satellite service to match. But let's face it GMM don't even have a license to operate a TV service according to the Post.

Yes they probably have a contract but we don't know whats in the contract,since True is not complaining to much I assume 3,5 and 7 have the right to cut of True,just a thought

Possible. So under what circumstances, can you put a gun to True's head and force them to show something? It is their satellite dish, their box, their network, and they are told to have to show national broadcasts at "no cost".

True isn't complaining one bit because they have an existing contractual obligation to show 3,5 and 7 already. 3,5, 7 can't just rip that up and make them pay more. Grammy, 3,5 and 7 didn't do their homework well enough and even though they are trying to portray True as the baddies, True will win in the end. All Grammy has to do is switch on the signal and everything goes away. Someone is breaching an existing contract here and it isn't True, and attempting to say that a company HAS to pay for something, when there is a contract already concerning programming on that channel, is hardly legally enforceable. True can simply say, we are here, turn on the signal as it was just before kick off and the masses can have their opium. Or shall we have a whip round and go off and bid for the rights to the World Cup next time round, and extort some cash out of True?

I suggest that True subscribers go and protest at Grammy's offices, that they want their FREE channels back.

And if IMO True thought that they could legally broadcast due to what's written in the contract it seems odd to me that their pretty quiet on the subject

And if IMO True thought that they could legally broadcast due to what's written in the contract it seems odd to me that their pretty quiet on the subject

Don't we already know from NBTC that True is in breach of Thai law for not having the rebroadcasted matches aired? That is why they got fined. This was collusion between between the Puyai to try and force True to pay up. Now with UEFA's letter all of them look pretty silly.

I do not work for Truecoffee1.gif purely trying to get the facts straight. True never thought they could get any rights but I am sure they thought that Thai law would be upheld which indicates that rebroadcasted free channels should not be tampered with. True did bid for the rights originally but were beaten by the GMM offer which frankly speaking was financial insanity.

Pi$$ing themselves -unfortunately that will be GMM on how much money they are going to lose on this deal.

Personally I don't think anyone will leave True over this. They were beaten to the rights by GMM and that is just how it works. People will leave True if GMM offers a cable satellite service to match. But let's face it GMM don't even have a license to operate a TV service according to the Post.

Whatever the Post says with regards to the license, or the Nation or even the rag The Sun I never trust in what the papers say 100%.

I'm sure there will be some kind of court case and various legal wranglings and time will tell who the real baddies were in this.

I though am of the opinion that it was True who thought they could pull a fast one here and shaft GMM whilst broadcasting for free.

If it does turn out to be the case then True shafted themselves any many will leave True.

Just my opinions.

Possible. So under what circumstances, can you put a gun to True's head and force them to show something? It is their satellite dish, their box, their network, and they are told to have to show national broadcasts at "no cost".

True isn't complaining one bit because they have an existing contractual obligation to show 3,5 and 7 already. 3,5, 7 can't just rip that up and make them pay more. Grammy, 3,5 and 7 didn't do their homework well enough and even though they are trying to portray True as the baddies, True will win in the end. All Grammy has to do is switch on the signal and everything goes away. Someone is breaching an existing contract here and it isn't True, and attempting to say that a company HAS to pay for something, when there is a contract already concerning programming on that channel, is hardly legally enforceable. True can simply say, we are here, turn on the signal as it was just before kick off and the masses can have their opium. Or shall we have a whip round and go off and bid for the rights to the World Cup next time round, and extort some cash out of True?

I suggest that True subscribers go and protest at Grammy's offices, that they want their FREE channels back.

What areu talking about?GMM is broadcasting the EURO on their own channels,if GMM did not buy the rights then their would be no EURO at all in Thailand since True was to stingy to buy the rights.Again GMM bought the rights for 400million bt,what makes u thinking True get the rights to broadcast for free?GMM signed a contract with 3.5 and 7,on top u don't know what kind of contract True has with 3,5 and 7,since true not complain at all to channel 3,5 and 7..............

TIT

I would think UEFA would like football to reach the ~20 million households across Thailand, rather than the ~2 million True subcribers who in your own words describe as "anyone who is anyone". I do not think UEFA are that shallow. I also do not believe that it would have made a difference in UEFA decision.

This whole issue is about purchasing the rights to air the matches. True decided not to fork out any money and hoped to get the broadcast for free. It backfired and shame on them. Whoever GMM partners are is irrelevant.

In the U S A ESPN is showing all the games. Each cable provider who normally carries ESPN and wants the ESPN Euro 2010 games they pays extra for them. If they elect to not show the games ESPN provides them with alternate programming. When I had True a year or so ago they had an ESPN channel. Is it still there? If so why didn't true attempt to P A Y for the Euro rights via ESPN months and months ago? Simple, they thought they would once again re-broadcast a signal for free.

As for the government attempting to fine True, well I believe they, True are within their rights to attempt to fight the fine but should show good faith and pay the daily fine until a final determation is made. I am now wondering if the NBTC is comtemplating pulling the plug on True for failing to pay? Do they have such authority?

Whatever the Post says with regards to the license, or the Nation or even the rag The Sun I never trust in what the papers say 100%.

I'm sure there will be some kind of court case and various legal wranglings and time will tell who the real baddies were in this.

I though am of the opinion that it was True who thought they could pull a fast one here and shaft GMM whilst broadcasting for free.

If it does turn out to be the case then True shafted themselves any many will leave True.

Just my opinions.

Opinion respected. IMO True is only guilty of announcing to it's viewers that they would have Euro 2012 via rebroadcast of the free TV channels without giving forethought to the fact that GMM is very well connected and by money and influence could ensure that the NBTC would not rule on them blocking the signal. The letter from UEFA is just to ensure that the NBTC cannot now back track. If the NBTC had laws in place to cover this eventuality it would not have been an issue from the start. But clearly they don't.

Don't we already know from NBTC that True is in breach of Thai law for not having the rebroadcasted matches aired? That is why they got fined. This was collusion between between the Puyai to try and force True to pay up. Now with UEFA's letter all of them look pretty silly.

But we know not what is actually written in the contract., how do we know if there is not a clause written in the contract that states that True must still broadcast on certain channels regardless of the cost to them to another company and in this case it's GMM who have the rights and because True won't pay, GMM have the right to not allow True to broadcast.

Maybe True just thought the fine is peanuts so sod it.

Just a thought.

As I said before there will probably some kind of legal proceedings but TIT so whatever the out come it will be done the Thai way.