I Blew Up At The Missus This Evening.

loong

the wife left this morning to discharge her brother from hospital who got seriously busted up in a motorbike accident...we paid about thb30000 to assist him and his family and I see it as part of our responsibility...

problem is that he has never said a word to me and never meets my eye when we are in the same room...and I remarked as much to my wife who just said that he is illiterate and mentally difficient and I responded: 'and why does an illiterate and mentally difficient individual presume that he can assume responsibility for suppporting a family? (he has 2 little boys)...'

she just shrugged her shoulders in irritation...

Oh how familiar your post is. I have a BIG problem with my inlaws- we live in my wife's sister's house, and it was really deficient when we moved in, both in the house and outside.

Over the past year I have done MAJOR work, cleaning up outside, laying gravel at my expense, paying for new fridge, sink, shelving and cooker, Also done a lot of work inside and around the house- sorting the electrics, tiling the old tatty kitchen bench, new lighting and improving all the patio paving, reroofing the car port, replacing bad concrete etc etc.

However, whenever they come to visit, they basically ignore me, never speak to me unless necessary, don't look at me and have NEVER said thank you for all my work, none of which I had to do ( though I couldn't live in the house the way it was ).

In the beginning I used to complain to my wife about it, which just annoyed her, so now I don't say anything, get PO ( we have a row about something every time they visit ) and just get more and more angry whenever she tells me they are coming to stay.

Moving out is not an option at present, though I long for the time we can move back to Pattaya, far away from THEM!

the wife left this morning to discharge her brother from hospital who got seriously busted up in a motorbike accident...we paid about thb30000 to assist him and his family and I see it as part of our responsibility...

problem is that he has never said a word to me and never meets my eye when we are in the same room...and I remarked as much to my wife who just said that he is illiterate and mentally difficient and I responded: 'and why does an illiterate and mentally difficient individual presume that he can assume responsibility for suppporting a family? (he has 2 little boys)...'

she just shrugged her shoulders in irritation...

Oh how familiar your post is. I have a BIG problem with my inlaws- we live in my wife's sister's house, and it was really deficient when we moved in, both in the house and outside.

Over the past year I have done MAJOR work, cleaning up outside, laying gravel at my expense, paying for new fridge, sink, shelving and cooker, Also done a lot of work inside and around the house- sorting the electrics, tiling the old tatty kitchen bench, new lighting and improving all the patio paving, reroofing the car port, replacing bad concrete etc etc.

However, whenever they come to visit, they basically ignore me, never speak to me unless necessary, don't look at me and have NEVER said thank you for all my work, none of which I had to do ( though I couldn't live in the house the way it was ).

In the beginning I used to complain to my wife about it, which just annoyed her, so now I don't say anything, get PO ( we have a row about something every time they visit ) and just get more and more angry whenever she tells me they are coming to stay.

Moving out is not an option at present, though I long for the time we can move back to Pattaya, far away from THEM!

oh, well...the rest of the family are friendly, helpful and appreciative for the help that I have provided over the years...there are a lot of kids and I spread money around to help with the school expenses and medical problems as you can't take it with you but the one brother who is mute and unresponsive bothers me...however if seen in a context of illiteracy and mental disability then better understood and really not an issue...

and my nieces, most of whom are now gorgeous teenaged sirens, like their uncle tutsi as well...and the wife helps out: 'you ask yer uncle tutsi for a new mobile and I'm gonna give you a whack, godammit...'

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just ditch the kids , well now that's a swell idea. Did your mommy never teach you about responsibility?

There are more clever and easier ways to handle this than acting on the same leve she has been doing.

They are her kids, she is their mother and somehow managed without his babysitting services before, think she can cope? I do. How about when he went home for a few weeks, was that a mortal sin?

There isn't a physical ball and chain involved here is there. . .

That was the package he took when he got her. Right or wrong it doesn't really matter... Either he solves it by trying to straighten her out or divorce her. Why should the kids be suffering due to their inconsistent marriage problems. Besides it takes two to tango in a family but I forget sometimes who I am talking to since I doubt many here believe in "real" relationships especially when they got poor farm girls from the north east to do their bidding.

Edited by maxme
  • Like 1

The gospel according to Tommo cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Comments like this about me is a little bit sad, if you don't agree with my POV, why not post your own, much more productive.

I would also like to point out the behaviour you are exhibiting towards me is called stalking, and against forum rules, please refrain from doing it. If you don't like my posts I would suggest adding me to your IGNORE list.

Stalkingcheesy.gif , on a serious note you can always use the report button.

As for the OP, the problem i have with your POV's are that they are so outdated. You and a few others on here really do need to understand there are many of us here in normal, loving relationships, where both contribute to household chores etc. You seem to think because i do my own ironing or cook a dinner my SO now has no respect for me.

For the OP much has been said and it does seem that the relationship has run it's course. I would leave and try to arrange some sort of on-going contact with his step-daughter.

I agree with Bangkokhatter here. Nothing wrong at all with cooking, cleaning and ironing etc.

If a man is at home all day while the SO is out working why not do it yourself or at least help with the chores. It does not make you less of a man to do so.

And there is the added bonus that if your SO is out at work she is not getting under your feet or sleeping all day.

The gospel according to Tommo cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Comments like this about me is a little bit sad, if you don't agree with my POV, why not post your own, much more productive.

I would also like to point out the behaviour you are exhibiting towards me is called stalking, and against forum rules, please refrain from doing it. If you don't like my posts I would suggest adding me to your IGNORE list.

Stalkingcheesy.gif , on a serious note you can always use the report button.

As for the OP, the problem i have with your POV's are that they are so outdated. You and a few others on here really do need to understand there are many of us here in normal, loving relationships, where both contribute to household chores etc. You seem to think because i do my own ironing or cook a dinner my SO now has no respect for me.

For the OP much has been said and it does seem that the relationship has run it's course. I would leave and try to arrange some sort of on-going contact with his step-daughter.

I agree with Bangkokhatter here. Nothing wrong at all with cooking, cleaning and ironing etc.

If a man is at home all day while the SO is out working why not do it yourself or at least help with the chores. It does not make you less of a man to do so.

And there is the added bonus that if your SO is out at work she is not getting under your feet or sleeping all day.

I'm not sure why I'm getting stick about 'household chores' as I can't find anywhere my opinion on this subject has been posted?

Tommo household chores was just an example, your constant view is that cos we have a THAI girlfriend or wife we have to think differently and treat them as though they are simpletons.You think they are not capable of rational thought and it's pointless engaging them in any discussion about relationship difficulties.

I agree it can be difficult, i have first hand experience of being in an abusive relationship, but I sorted it out and moved on , but the experience never left me bitter about Thai women, it's not cos they are Thai, it's cos they are womensmile.png

The whole idea of a man's role etc is nonsense in these times, we all have different circumstances, the OP i think is retired and his wife works so to me it's obvious he would do most of the chores, For me, we both work so splitting the chores 50/50 is right,

Am waffling now, but my point is, it is possible to have a normal relationship with a Thai lady , sure some of them are proper twisted but in my opinion they are in the minority.....hopefullytongue.png

• Like 2

Loong, I think she is worried that she is losing you, I think her confidence in the relationship has hit a low ebb......so perhaps she is trying to put a brave face on it all by being the one who is pretending not to care

Why?

Well you have pointed out that she has worked hard and long hours, yet you appear to criticise her efforts around the house

You talk about piles of clothes not put away, yet you could easily be categorised as sitting around drinking rather than assisting

You have just been away, on your own, for a long period, an 'expensive' trip, but it would appear that you criticise her for buying a truck, and insurance, despite the fact that she has worked long hours (during and after the 'forced' sale of her business) to try and meet the cost

If you have mentioned financial hardship, tightening the belt as it were, then you continue to drink and smoke

I am not having a go at you, and appreciate that you have assisted with the washing and cooking, but maybe she feels at the moment she can do nothing right.........

I have posted this because I think you should consider very carefully the further damage you may inflict on her confidence if you 'take a trip' as many have suggested

Best wishes for the future

I don't think that you have read all the posts. I can't blame you really as i almost stopped when this thread was well and truly hijacked.

I didn't exactly criticise her for buying the pick-up, but I do feel that she should have discussed it with me first. I did actually say that I was proud of her at the time. As I have already said, she is not lazy when it comes to working a job, but when she is out of work, she has little interest in keeping the house looking reasonable.

I don't and never would criticise her efforts around the house when she is out at work all day, only when she has a period out of work. What sort of person would I be if I expect my other half to work all day and then come home and do all the housework?

"You could easily be categorised as sitting around drinking rather than assisting"

When she is working, she comes home to find all the clothes clean, folded or on hangers and put away.

I have a few beers in the evening, I really see nothing wrong with that. I had too many the time when I made the OP and suffered for it. Didn't have a beer the last 2 evenings :)

"You could easily be categorised as sitting around drinking rather than assisting"

When she is working, she comes home to find all the clothes clean, folded or on hangers and put away.

I have a few beers in the evening, I really see nothing wrong with that. I had too many the time when I made the OP and suffered for it. Didn't have a beer the last 2 evenings smile.png

Most of the Thai guys in my village are falling down drunk by 8pm every evening.

You are far better behaved than almost all of them.

Loong, I think she is worried that she is losing you, I think her confidence in the relationship has hit a low ebb......so perhaps she is trying to put a brave face on it all by being the one who is pretending not to care

Why?

Well you have pointed out that she has worked hard and long hours, yet you appear to criticise her efforts around the house

You talk about piles of clothes not put away, yet you could easily be categorised as sitting around drinking rather than assisting

You have just been away, on your own, for a long period, an 'expensive' trip, but it would appear that you criticise her for buying a truck, and insurance, despite the fact that she has worked long hours (during and after the 'forced' sale of her business) to try and meet the cost

If you have mentioned financial hardship, tightening the belt as it were, then you continue to drink and smoke

I am not having a go at you, and appreciate that you have assisted with the washing and cooking, but maybe she feels at the moment she can do nothing right.........

I have posted this because I think you should consider very carefully the further damage you may inflict on her confidence if you 'take a trip' as many have suggested

I don't think that you have read all the posts. I can't blame you really as i almost stopped when this thread was well and truly hijacked.

I didn't exactly criticise her for buying the pick-up, but I do feel that she should have discussed it with me first. I did actually say that I was proud of her at the time. As I have already said, she is not lazy when it comes to working a job, but when she is out of work, she has little interest in keeping the house looking reasonable.

I don't and never would criticise her efforts around the house when she is out at work all day, only when she has a period out of work. What sort of person would I be if I expect my other half to work all day and then come home and do all the housework?

I have a few beers in the evening, I really see nothing wrong with that. I had too many the time when I made the OP and suffered for it. Didn't have a beer the last 2 evenings smile.png

I have followed and read the thread, I do not contest what you write above, I am, as I said, not having a go at you, my comments were not about apportioning blame

I am asking you to take a look at your actions and comments, general demeanor, inflection, ..have you been a bit lacklustre and miserable.....do you think that does not have an effect? .....if you can say that there is no way she could have picked up negative vibes say regarding your financial situation at times, regarding her efforts around the home at times, then I am am wrong in my opinion...but bear in mind women are perceptive......will she view the gripe about not popping in to say hello as just another turn in an already visible downward spiral of unhappiness?

It has been suggested that a family holiday might be beneficial, well I would consider this if you wish to build her confidence in the relationship

The mention of the sitting around drinking....again not an accusation, don't get uptight, under normal circumstances I would say without doubt not an issue for either of you.....but how does it look to her if you used to fold the clothes and now you think it is her job, and you sit enjoying a couple of beers? while on the other hand mentioning she has not done the work.....just saying you've got to be careful how comments and actions combined can come across

Why?

I have followed and read the thread, I do not contest what you write above, I am, as I said, not having a go at you, my comments were not about apportioning blame

I am asking you to take a look at your actions and comments, general demeanor, inflection, ..have you been a bit lacklustre and miserable.....do you think that does not have an effect? .....if you can say that there is no way she could have picked up negative vibes say regarding your financial situation at times, regarding her efforts around the home at times, then I am am wrong in my opinion...but bear in mind women are perceptive......will she view the gripe about not popping in to say hello as just another turn in an already visible downward spiral of unhappiness?

It has been suggested that a family holiday might be beneficial, well I would consider this if you wish to build her confidence in the relationship

The mention of the sitting around drinking....again not an accusation, don't get uptight, under normal circumstances I would say without doubt not an issue for either of you.....but how does it look to her if you used to fold the clothes and now you think it is her job, and you sit enjoying a couple of beers? while on the other hand mentioning she has not done the work.....just saying you've got to be careful how comments and actions combined can come across

I know a few farangs that are complete <deleted> that talk down to their partners. BUT, these ladies stick to them like glue cos they know how their '' Bread is buttered''.

IF, a lady is playing up it usually is because she has another financier in the pipe line. My pal died and ''Hay Presto'' a Thai guy was doing all the business the next day. sad.png

IMO hire a fulltime house keeper or a cute looking nanny. This should get her attention quick.

Let her know what your role is in the relationship is, and outline what you want hers to be as well. Write it on paper similar to a contract and post it somewhere in the house. This way she doesn’t forget.

Invite some friends over to the house (pre planned) while she is around, and have them comment on how dirty the place is, and that it smells a little bit like shyt. Make sure she is able to hear what your friends are saying. This will certainly make her lose face and think twice.

A Thai women knows exactly what her responsibilities as a wife should be, but sometime they (Issan women) are just too lazy to bother. They assume they have finally met the stupid Farang buffalo that will do it all.

I guarantee you she wouldn’t be acting the way she is if you were a Thai man.

Worst case scenario, if you don’t want to lose you little girl, but at the same time get rid of your lady, ask for adoption rights.

This might cost you, but I have heard of this option.

@ OP : been there, except for the kid.....

It seems you would have already left if it wasn't for the daughter. I understand how much you love her. But be aware that even if you sacrify your life for her, you MAY have a lot of deceptions in return later on. As somebody said early on, giving is nice, but don't expect any gratification in return. Especially here.

Wow, what a great post, qualified terms, logic and restraint. I salute you sir bravo thumbsup.gif

IMO hire a fulltime house keeper or a cute looking nanny. This should get her attention quick.

Even a part-time ugly one would accomplish that goal and without as many unintended consequences.

A Thai women knows exactly what her responsibilities as a wife should be, but sometime they (Issan women) are just too lazy to bother. They assume they have finally met the stupid Farang buffalo that will do it all.

Agree with the general sentiment, but no need to single out these out as traits associated with a particular ethnicity, just human.

But you're overall right, if the job isn't getting done but you want it done then get it done yourself and adjust arrangements to suit yourself - and be ready to accept the consequences.

And maybe nothing will improve the underlying situation, but give some of these suggestions a shot OP, just moping about and being the doormat is certainly not going to help anything at all.

My children have never seen me cook dinner...except for toast....nor wash a dish...let alone dishes...nor wash any clothes.

I am worried I am setting a bad example and have contemplated opening a can of beans and heating them up.

..come on ........we all know your really a little Sammy homemaker ..a pinny. over your y fronts, freshly ironed wife beater with a recipe for muffins on the back and pink rubber gloves...right?.....if the can has a ring pull mind your fingernailscheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Depending upon how your finances are arranged, and if you can afford to walk away from everything, you just need to lay it on the line. She's using you like a hotel now. I know the feeling, I got to the same place with my ex wife and I kicked her out when I realised that we were two people sharing a house (that I was paying for) and a day would go by without speaking. This was after trying to fix the problem for half a year by the way. So, unless it means you giving her everything and you having nothing, put it on the line and say you are not happy with the way things are, tell her what you need her to do different, ask her what you need to do different, and if there is no improvement, its hit the road time.

Depending upon how your finances are arranged, and if you can afford to walk away from everything, you just need to lay it on the line. She's using you like a hotel now. I know the feeling, I got to the same place with my ex wife and I kicked her out when I realised that we were two people sharing a house (that I was paying for) and a day would go by without speaking. This was after trying to fix the problem for half a year by the way. So, unless it means you giving her everything and you having nothing, put it on the line and say you are not happy with the way things are, tell her what you need her to do different, ask her what you need to do different, and if there is no improvement, its hit the road time.

Why do you need to talk? Some women reward their husbands by not talking for a day. Monks don't talk much and some cloistered nuns.

Wise words from many people. My 2 satangs worth is as follows.

OP should leave for a few days. It does not have to be terminal, as the OP suggests. Simply call her at work and say a friend of yours needs help, and you have to go now. If she presses for specifics, say you will call her later, when you find out yourself.

2 or 3 days later, buy a cheap copy book and start writing. This is difficult, as you need to examine yourself honestly. Telling us about the lady's errors, serves no purpose. You could start by answering this question.

With your new found freedom, do you like living on your own ?

Take it from there as honestly as you can.

Leave it for 2 days, and read what you wrote.

The daughter is another issue. However, if you are not mentally healthy, you are of little use to the daughter.

Sorry to be so blunt. You have my best wishes.

Why do you need to talk? Some women reward their husbands by not talking for a day. Monks don't talk much and some cloistered nuns.

If your gal is rewarding you for not talking then Houston we've got a problem

Edited by maxme