Luang Prabang Laos

Thaiquila

I am considering a trip to Luang Prabang in early February and would like to stay in a low or moderate cost guesthouse in the central area.

I noticed that the tourist class hotels that take web bookings are way more costly than Chiang Mai, and that sounds ridiculous for Laos.

Most of the guest houses don't seem to do email bookings.

Anyone have experience just arriving there about that time without reservations?

Do you think it would easy to get a room like that?

How about also some specific recommendations for places to stay?

Thanks.

I was in LP about 2 years ago. Took the bus up there and had no reservations. I found a very nice place that was not too bad, but it did seem to be a little pricy. I can't remember the name of the place, but there are a bunch of places to stay at all price ranges. I am sure you will have no problem just dropping in without a reservation...as long as it is not a major holiday! ;-)

It is an awesome place to visit and I am sure you will have a great time!!!

I am considering a trip to Luang Prabang in early February and would like to stay in a low or moderate cost guesthouse in the central area.

I noticed that the tourist class hotels that take web bookings are way more costly than Chiang Mai, and that sounds ridiculous for Laos.

Most of the guest houses don't seem to do email bookings.

Anyone have experience just arriving there about that time without reservations?

Do you think it would easy to get a room like that?

How about also some specific recommendations for places to stay?

Thanks.

I used this place about 4 years ago, the price was around $7.00 U.S., probably a whole $10 now!

Old telephone number is 856 71 212973, no e-mail listed on my card.

PHOUSI GUEST HOUSE, 40/7 Ban Choumkhong, LP. Air, TV, HW, near the museum.

Good restaurants nearby, steak and chips and Beer Lao - real cheap!. There were other hotels/guest houses within walking distance.

AL

Yeah I was there about four years ago too and have to admit that I (Shock gasp horror) went for a place out of Lonley Planet - got a romo no problem.

Things may have got busier but there was plenty rooms around at that time and I am sure they will have kept up with demand.

You will love it!

I went in February last year. When I arrived it was fairly difficult to get accomadation - most placed were full. You may have to take what you can find the first day and move the following morning. People tend not to stay very long and most guesthouse have vacancies in the morning.

Adter the first day I stayed at the Pakam Guesthouse Tel: 071 252679. I cannot remember the price but wqas less than $10. In my view this was the best value guesthouse a have stayed in anywhere in South East Asia. It is just off the main road along the river. You will see the sign/advert from that road