Interesting Perspective On Thai Gold Jewellery!

rockyysdt

Really, it's more like buying rice than a work of art, I'm not going to bother getting out the calculator and looking up the conversion for you.

Get the weight in baht and post how much over the official weight price you're paying for workmanship.

Or don't even bother, if it's more than a few hundred baht, then I'd say no unless you're willing to pay a premium for a design that strikes your fancy more than what's available for a normal price.

OK.

15.244 gms to each Gold Baht.

Selling: 1 Baht Bar 96.5 = 24,200 baht.

3.7 gm necklace selling for 6,900.

3.7 divided by 15.244 = 0.24271844602

24,200 baht divided by 0.2427284462 = 5,873.

So the 3.7 gm 23 carot Gold Necklace has a gold value of 5,873 baht today.

Buying at 6,900 baht yields an immediate 1,027 baht loss.

Is this correct?

Edited by rockyysdt

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, it's more like buying rice than a work of art, I'm not going to bother getting out the calculator and looking up the conversion for you.

Get the weight in baht and post how much over the official weight price you're paying for workmanship.

Or don't even bother, if it's more than a few hundred baht, then I'd say no unless you're willing to pay a premium for a design that strikes your fancy more than what's available for a normal price.

OK.

Is this correct?

Sounds right to me.

I'd say KISS - the standard necklace weights are even fractions of a baht. Personally I'd just buy a 1-baht chain and be done with it, as I said the most reputable shop in the kingdom only charges a few hundred baht over the weight price and you're can rest easy as to its convertibility back to cash at a very small loss, or maximum collateral value if pawning.

And again, these are the only considerations valued by (99% of) Thai recipients. Don't expect any "sentimental value" foolishness, often even for wedding-gift gold, it's just means to an end and likely to be sold off for a new smartphone whenever the impulse becomes strong.

They would probably value the cash even more, but it would disappear even faster.

OK.

Is this correct?

Alternatively:

3.7 gm necklace @ 6,900 baht = 1864.86 baht per gram.

Todays 23 carot Gold price is 24,200 baht for 15.244 grams.

15.244 gms @ 24,200 baht = 1,5875 baht per gram.

Buying the necklace is 11.7% less than gold value.

Doesn't sound like a bargain to me.

Edited by rockyysdt

For the member that had their gold weighed and tested in Vietnam, the numbers seem suspect.

For the members using 15.244 grams as a weight for one Baht.

One Baht of gold weighs 15.16 grams, which is the standard in Thailand. They manufacture the chains and bracelets slightly under weight, approximately 1.2 grams for each baht gold weight, which is the amount of gold needed to make the M or S clasp. They then increase or decrease the weight of the clasps to adjust the final weight to meet the standard of 15.16 grams.

The published buy price displayed at the gold shop does not include the work money. This can vary depending on the complexity of the design and if you are a wholesaler or retailer. The normal work money price range is between 250 - 800 Baht.

Baht gold is popular with all levels of the Thai society. You often see millions of Baht worth of gold given in Thai marriage ceremonies (i.e: Sin Sot), but it is seldom worn by the wealthy, since it attracts undesired attention.

Baht gold jewelry is like an alternate currency in Thailand, since it can be easily converted back into cash. If the hallmark is known or the shop has the proper equipment to test. It can also easily be exchanged for cash anywhere in Thailand, with no paperwork or questions asked at a small discount to the published price.

Gold shops make most of their money pawning gold, this is their business of choice. This is very similar to the motorcycle sale business, they make a little money on the sale, but a lot of money financing the bike.

• Like 1

For the member that had their gold weighed and tested in Vietnam, the numbers seem suspect.

For the members using 15.244 grams as a weight for one Baht.

One Baht of gold weighs 15.16 grams, which is the standard in Thailand. They manufacture the chains and bracelets slightly under weight, approximately 1.2 grams for each baht gold weight, which is the amount of gold needed to make the M or S clasp. They then increase or decrease the weight of the clasps to adjust the final weight to meet the standard of 15.16 grams.

OK.

At 15.16 gms of Thai gold per baht = 1,596 per gram.

This compares to 1864.86 baht per gram purchased as jewelry.

That's a 1,000 baht loss for a 3.7 gm necklace before you even start.

Doesn't seem good value to me.

Edited by rockyysdt

I'd say KISS - the standard necklace weights are even fractions of a baht. Personally I'd just buy a 1-baht chain and be done with it, as I said the most reputable shop in the kingdom only charges a few hundred baht over the weight price and you're can rest easy as to its convertibility back to cash at a very small loss, or maximum collateral value if pawning.

Does that mean I lose 1,000 baht over a 7,000 baht purchase to have it fashioned as a chain but only lose 200 or 300 baht if I buy an ingot?

Does that mean I lose 1,000 baht over a 7,000 baht purchase to have it fashioned as a chain but only lose 200 or 300 baht if I buy an ingot?

That is not what is being said. You can buy a simple 1 baht chain for only a few hundred baht over the posted sell rate. The "premium" is determined by the seller based off of what the design cost to produce. Obviously an ingot is cheaper to produce than an intricate design.

That is not what is being said. You can buy a simple 1 baht chain for only a few hundred baht over the posted sell rate. The "premium" is determined by the seller based off of what the design cost to produce. Obviously an ingot is cheaper to produce than an intricate design.

I thought the premium was determined by how daft the seller thought the buyer was.

In this case of Thai seller and foreigner buyer that premium would most likely be quite high ...... about 1,000bht high.

Give her 5,000bht cash, and save yourself some money.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I thought the premium was determined by how daft the seller thought the buyer was.

In this case of Thai seller and foreigner buyer that premium would most likely be quite high ...... about 1,000bht high.

your point is quite valid...

The bulk of the posts intimate that gold jewelery is an investment, not fashion, but then this makes no sense given the premium over gold prices involved.

So where are all the bargains and good value to be had?

The bulk of the posts intimate that gold jewelery is an investment, not fashion, but then this makes no sense given the premium over gold prices involved.

I thought I said it several times already. Buy from a reputable shop that doesn't take the piss cause you are a farang. Hua Seng Heng is one such outlet. Also, Aurora is another trusted place. If you are looking to buy gold to hold and then eventually resell then the best value is the thai gold bars (tong tang). If you want to be able to enjoy wearing the gold until the time is right for you to sell then buy some thai jewelry that you like. The pice of gold is published. The premium the shop wants to charge over the price of the gold is negotiable (as are most things here in LOS). If they are asking for an unfair amount over the price of gold posted on the window then offer them a fair amount and if they refuse then walk to a different store.

Wasn't the OP all about chains and jewelry, not ingots?

Your reply suggests that on the one hand, it is foolish to buy Thai Gold jewelry as an investment because of the design premium, but that Thai Gold jewelry is routinely bought for exactly that, an investment!

Edited by rockyysdt

Gold ingots are for investment

Gold jewelery is a gift for your lover (without the embarrassment of handing her the actual 1,000bht notes)

For example

"thanks darling, that was a terrific shag last night, here is 25,000bht payment"

Vs

"I love you so much, please accept this 1bht gold necklace as a symbol of our love"

Edited by TommoPhysicist

The OP was all about chains and jewelry, not ingots.

Your reply suggests that on the one hand, it is foolish to buy Thai Gold jewelry as an investment because of the design premium, but that Thai Gold jewelry is routinely bought for exactly that, an investment!

I'm not suggesting that at all. The premium is typically less than $20.. to me that is very reasonable. No matter where in the world you buy gold there will always be a premium on top of melt price. Thailand has some of the lowest in the world. The difference between buying gold bars or jewelry is not that great in terms of premium. The choice is yours. I'm just saying that you should buy from a reputable shop and be aware that the premium here is negotiable in many of the less than reputable shops.

If you are buying as a gift for someone then most Thai females will want jewelry. In any case, they didn't pay for it so they don't care how much of a premium is lost when they take it back to the store and sell it.

If you are buying for yourself to hold as a hedge then I would suggest gold ingots. I personally don't feel that safe wearing gold jewelry around Thailand like I once did.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I'm not suggesting that at all. The premium is typically less than $20.. to me that is very reasonable. No matter where in the world you buy gold there will always be a premium on top of melt price. Thailand has some of the lowest in the world. The difference between buying gold bars or jewelry is not that great in terms of premium. The choice is yours. I'm just saying that you should buy from a reputable shop and be aware that the premium here is negotiable in many of the less than reputable shops.

If you are buying as a gift for someone then most Thai females will want jewelry. In any case, they didn't pay for it so they don't care how much of a premium is lost when they take it back to the store and sell it.

If you are buying for yourself to hold as a hedge then I would suggest gold ingots. I personally don't feel that safe wearing gold jewelry around Thailand like I once did.

The premium on the 3.7 gm necklace l viewed was 1,000 baht ($30).

Do you consider this reasonable?

The premium on the 3.7 gm necklace l viewed was 1,000 baht ($30).

Do you consider this reasonable?

well.. you are asking me based on how something looks and I can't see it. for 1/4 baht gold weight that seems like a high premium. That being said, if it's something you like then is $30 really that much to pay for it? My only suggestion if you really like the design is to offer them less and see if they will take it.

on a side note.. when looking at gold for investment then how the gold looks means very little and should not be paid a premium for. When you sell the gold back they won't care how it looks as they are going to melt it down anyways. Of course if you have some sort of antique to rare item them that might not apply.

Edited by Jayman

Give a baby or kid gold and in 18 plus years the premium will be more than covered and should have more than covered inflation or if buying it yourself for a long term investment.

Buying it for your wife, no,as Thai gold it looks horrible, some attractive jewellery, yes.

A sponsor giving a 'lover' some gold, it cost her nothing so 100% profit for her. It's less tacky than just handing her the money and her brother will be very grateful when he's in the local offy.

well.. you are asking me based on how something looks and I can't see it. for 1/4 baht gold weight that seems like a high premium. That being said, if it's something you like then is $30 really that much to pay for it? My only suggestion if you really like the design is to offer them less and see if they will take it.

I've taken note of everyones helpful suggestions.

What I'm after is the best deal for my hard earned cash in the form of a necklace.

The reference is the 3.7 gm Thai Gold necklace going for 6,900 baht which includes discount.

At 1,596 per gram the gold value today is 5,905.

A premium of 995 baht which seems excessive.

We're talking about a return cab ride across town and ones time to achieve deal with the best.

Design aside, is Hua Seng Heng going to substantially beat this or am I wasting my time?

Premium aside, it would make a nice gift for Mrs Farang who would treasure it as a collectible in her country rather than a cash convertible.

Edited by rockyysdt

Both are for investment. Bars are for locking up in your safe or burying in the yard, chains can also be worn, despite some thinking it looks tacky. There are occasions when the Thai will want to show off to their friends and family.

Note the design premium on a 2-baht necklace is a lower percentage than with a lighter one.

It's been a few years now, but I believe I paid a B450 premium over weight at Hua Seng Heng.

I've taken note of everyones helpful suggestions.

What I'm after is the best deal for my hard earned cash in the form of a necklace.

The reference is the 3.7 gm Thai Gold necklace going for 6,900 baht which includes discount.

At 1,596 per gram the gold value today is 5,905.

A premium of 995 baht which seems excessive.

We're talking about a return cab ride across town and ones time to achieve deal with the best.

Design aside, is Hua Seng Heng going to substantially beat this or am I wasting my time?

Premium aside, it would make a nice gift for Mrs Farang who would treasure it as a collectible in her country rather than a cash convertible.

As of this moment Thai gold jewelry is being sold for 24,600 per baht. You are buying 1/4 baht of gold. 24,600/4=6150. If you are looking for the cheapest gold then this isn't it. If you are looking for something that looks nice and you are happy with how this looks then I don't think 750thb is a whole lot to pay for that.

When you ask about substantially beating 750thb then I must think 750thb is a lot of money for you? Are you in Bangkok? If so, then a taxi to Hua Seng Heng is certainly worth your time as they have very nice designs for a very fair price. If you are not in BKK then for such a small purchase I would say no, it's not worth going there. You are buying 1/4 of 1 baht (1/8 of a oz). This is a very small amount of gold mate. If you were buying several baht then the answer might be different.

for reference and in english http://www.goldpricethai.com/price

Edited by Jayman

Thais seem to be limitied to the higher carat rating but impracticality in terms of strength?

Thais and most other Asians don't believe in the same rubbish 18 carat fairy tales in which you believe whistling.gif

I said this in another thread that I will gladly act as a disposal agent for that 18k rubbish, fairy tales and all. For a sliight frr I will even accept 9k, 10k and 14k.

If you have 20k that is embarrassing you I will,out of the goodness of my heart, actually pay Bt 1,000/kg. And all transactions will be conducted in strict confidence.

Hua Seng Heng is certainly worth your time as they have very nice designs for a very fair price.

Well I headed down to Hua Seng Heng and took the plunge.

Bought a 7.58 gm necklace for 12,650.

Salesman indicated the buy back gold price today was 11,847.

A 0.25 oz = 7.08738 gms

Necklace is 7.58 gms.

Extra 0.5 gm is the 3.5% impurity.

Great place but I will say I thought the use of a weighing machine was unprofessional.

Weight varies vs proximity to sea level, whilst mass remains constant.

Using scales with reference weights should be the method used.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Hua Seng Heng is certainly worth your time as they have very nice designs for a very fair price.

Well I headed down to Hua Seng Heng and took the plunge.

Bought a 7.58 gm necklace for 12,650.

Salesman indicated the buy back gold price today was 11,847.

A 0.25 oz = 7.08738 gms

Necklace is 7.58 gms.

Extra 0.5 gm is the 3.5% impurity.

Great place but I will say I thought the use of a weighing machine was unprofessional.

Weight varies vs proximity to sea level, whilst mass remains constant.

Using scales with reference weights should be the method used.

glad you found something you liked.

How about posting a picture of the design here if you don't mind.

As for the scale, I think you are being a bit sensitive on this issue. They use high quality scales and they always error on the side of the customer. Also, I'm sure they calibrate them regularly in the store so the altitude is a constant.

Also, you are making the weights overly complicated. The standard weight measurement for Thai gold is not the gram nor oz but the baht. You bought 1/2 baht.

looking here http://www.goldpricethai.com/price

you will see that todays buyback rate for ornamental gold is 23695.08 per baht. 1/2 of this is 11847.53 which is what he quoted you for buy back.

Today's selling price for 1 baht is 24550 so 1/2 of that is 12275thb... so it looks like you paid a 375thb premium on your design.

All in all very reasonable. Do you feel that they had nicer designs than what you were seeing in other shops? Larger selection?

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 2

As for the scale, I think you are being a bit sensitive on this issue. They use high quality scales and they always error on the side of the customer. Also, I'm sure they calibrate them regularly in the store so the altitude is a constant.

Also, you are making the weights overly complicated. The standard weight measurement for Thai gold is not the gram nor oz but the baht. You bought 1/2 baht.

you will see that todays buyback rate for ornamental gold is 23695.08 per baht. 1/2 of this is 11847.53 which is what he quoted you for buy back.

Today's selling price for 1 baht is 24550 so 1/2 of that is 12275thb... so it looks like you paid a 375thb premium on your design.

All in all very reasonable. Do you feel that they had nicer designs than what you were seeing in other shops? Larger selection?

I'll definitely post a picture soon.

And thanks for the advice.

I don't think my experience would have been anywhere near as good without the input of yourself and others.

They offered about 8 or 10 different designs.

I chose one with solid links, rather than the chunkier hollow link style which had a gold thread.

The salesman indicated the design l chose was a little stronger.

I did feel confident that I wasn't being short changed.

Their reputation is very solid and I know the resale value is there.

It seems everyone and his dog (with the exception of myself), vouch for their reputation.

He showed me the Chinese markings of authenticity, and weighed the piece in front of me.

It was a shade overweight.

They used an electronic counting machine to count a number of reams of 1,000 baht notes.

This place really turns it over.

Possibly not a safe place to hang around too long.

Edited by rockyysdt

I'll definitely post a picture soon.

And thanks for the advice.

I don't think my experience would have been anywhere near as good without the input of yourself and others.

They offered about 8 or 10 different designs.

I chose one with solid links, rather than the chunkier hollow link style which had a gold thread.

The salesman indicated the design l chose was a little stronger.

I did feel confident that I wasn't being short changed.

Their reputation is very solid and I know the resale value is there.

It seems everyone and his dog (with the exception of myself), vouch for their reputation.

He showed me the Chinese markings of authenticity, and weighed the piece in front of me.

It was a shade overweight.

They used an electronic counting machine to count a number of reams of 1,000 baht notes.

This place really turns it over.

Possibly not a safe place to hang around too long.

I'd say it's pretty safe. Thais are walking in there with bundles and bundles of 100,000thb all day long. That place has HUGE turnover and they have a few locations. A couple right across the street from each other.

• 3 months later...

Recent world economic troubles (2009 Global Financial meltdown, current world recession, and impending European problems), have propelled the price of gold through the roof.

Gold has never been this high.

When things get better and confidence in the $ and property is restored, gold prices will plunge.

Gold is only currently high due to the fear of holding cash/shares.

When the Gold price eventually tumbles, how will that help those who have purchased at record prices?

I do not see a light at the end of the economic trouble and after that Euro-problems, people got sure sensitive.

I do not believe the Gold buyers have to worry. wink.png

At least not for an extended time.

And, there are more and more people on the world, who use a bit, more or less Gold and there are now many countries who count less on Dollar and Euro than on Gold with their currency. and Gold is , same everything else, limited in its quantity I think the Gold owners can sleep well, Gold prices still goes up, so! 25.000 Baht now per Gold Baht!wai2.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Anyways, I would love to invite you to visit the diamond jewelers in paragon or central world or mbk or anywhere else and ask them about white gold and 18k and the social status of their customers (all clueless farang surely)... but don't forget to change out of the Singha tank top first.

No need to do that, get out of a -Singha tank top- and your shorts.

A bundle of cash money and a bunch of Credit Cards who let the Credit card statements-slips, run rattling out of the machine do the trick.

No fancy dress necessary. tongue.png

By the way, I like the appearance of Thai Gold more than our 18 Carats gold.wai2.gif

Edited by ALFREDO