Interesting Perspective On Thai Gold Jewellery!

rockyysdt

but i would advise other farang to leave their gold at home or in the safety deposit box, it does not look good on your neck. my 2 satang.

-Beauty is in the eye of the beholder-

And I like Thai Gold, whoever neck it is. Even on the neck from my friend on the photo, but could also be 18 K?

My 2 Satang

And, I hope you are -man- enough to tell Mr.Tim Ward "I advise you, leave your Gold at home, it does not look good on your neck, my 2 satang."

in his face. rolleyes.gif

393624_406710156050202_982774205_n.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but i would advise other farang to leave their gold at home or in the safety deposit box it does not look very good around your neck. my 2 satang.

Sorry, I did not find the photo in time to enclose it to the above posting.

-farang000999- I would like to hear you say that in front of TIM,

"I advise you, leave your Gold at home, it does not look good on your neck, my 2 satang."wink.png

Shark-man-Pattaya1.jpg

when my Girlfriend visited me in Germany, on one day we went to the "Kaufhof", kinda lookalike shop to "Harrods". In the jewelry section, she admired the fine workmanship of the gold necklages & bracelets. She asked me if this was similar to Thai Gold. I explained to her that this jewely was 14 K or 18 K Gold, thus containig not the same purity of gold as Thai Gold. Her next -sure logical question - was , "can I give it back to them?" , and when I replied, no, you can't - she was awestruck and said she would never buy this kind of jewelry.

Actually, if you buy a piece of brass connected to pure gold ( Thai Visa members, excuse me but i AM A DENTIST and such very familar with gold & other precious metals) we call it Brass , even if it is 750 or 585. Fact is, in the West if you take Grandma's jewelry to the pawn shop or the Bullion buyers, for 750 you get about 20% of the price your Grandpa paid for said piece, with 585.

There are a many poster who have pointed you onto the right path, regarding this topic. Thai gold is more seen as an investment, rather than a showpiece of design, craftmanship and durability. When a Thai Gold necklage tears, you can still go back to the shop and get the day trade price in return, 100 % and cash on your hand on the spot.

My girlfriend, by the way, when leaving the shopping mall, actually asked me " who is so stupid and buys this crap?"

So the 3.7 gm 23 carot Gold Necklace has a gold value of 5,873 baht today.

Buying at 6,900 baht yields an immediate 1,027 baht loss.

Is this correct?

More craftsmanship, beautiful engravings, more cost, more small in size and weight, more cost to.

Buy a simple, massive 10 Baht chain without specialties

and you loose much less if you sale, in comparison.

That is not what is being said. You can buy a simple 1 baht chain for only a few hundred baht over the posted sell rate. The "premium" is determined by the seller based off of what the design cost to produce. Obviously an ingot is cheaper to produce than an intricate design.

The bulk of the posts intimate that gold jewelery is an investment, not fashion, but then this makes no sense given the premium over gold prices involved.

So where are all the bargains and good value to be had?

-Jayman-

wrote it already, buy a heavier chain with no special features and you loose less when you sale.

Its anyway more a security, which can be sold easy, than an investment where the people awaited a profit.

That (big) profit just happened now in the last years.

Germany, In the jewelry section, she admired the fine workmanship of the gold necklages & bracelets. She asked me if this was similar to Thai Gold. I explained to her that this jewely was 14 K or 18 K Gold, thus containig not the same purity of gold as Thai Gold. Her next -sure logical question - was , "can I give it back to them?" , and when I replied, no, you can't - she was awestruck and said she would never buy this kind of jewelry.

My girlfriend, by the way, when leaving the shopping mall, actually asked me " who is so stupid and buys this crap?"

That -crap- buy that people who are, until now, so lucky, that since many decades they have not to be fear to come in a situation,

where they have to sale that "crap" fast and loose than a lot of money.

But times are changing! whistling.gif

Gold is by weight + a flat fee for the workmanship. When you need the cash back they'll give you the same price less I think B200, but based on the current price of gold. Make up for the softness of the more pure gold by purchasing heavier chains, the simpler designs are stronger than the finely wrought more complex ones.

That is the general rule in any gold shop in any town or village in the Kingdom

No need to rush to China Town

The gold price is quoted in the newspapers, so easy to check

What price were you expecting,a 6 month futures contract or something?rolleyes.gif

That is not what is being said. You can buy a simple 1 baht chain for only a few hundred baht over the posted sell rate. The "premium" is determined by the seller based off of what the design cost to produce. Obviously an ingot is cheaper to produce than an intricate design.

The bulk of the posts intimate that gold jewelery is an investment, not fashion, but then this makes no sense given the premium over gold prices involved.

So where are all the bargains and good value to be had?

-Jayman-

wrote it already, buy a heavier chain with no special features and you loose less when you sale.

Its anyway more a security, which can be sold easy, than an investment where the people awaited a profit.

That (big) profit just happened now in the last years.

If you really want to invest in physical gold then the best way to do it is to buy gold coins.The best ones to buy are newly minted South African Gold Krugerrands,historical coins are worth more but are harder to liquidate.

I've heard stories of nickel plated with gold recently in Thailand,jewellery shops getting busted by authorities.I would suggest unless it's a highly reputable dealer or you know exactly how to test gold for karat quality,don't bother!

BTW,as for the big profit that just happened,it's very likely that gold will go to 2,000-2,500/Troy oz in the next 12 months!

Thais seem to be limitied to the higher carat rating but impracticality in terms of strength?

Thais and most other Asians don't believe in the same rubbish 18 carat fairy tales in which you believe

Interesting, seems naam does not have a clue on this subject.

BTW,as for the big profit that just happened,it's very likely that gold will go to 2,000-2,500/Troy oz in the next 12 months!

A good possibility, special if the World-Europe in particular, stays in such a bad position with the Euro and economically!whistling.gif

• 1 year later...

Off topic ish but just bought a 1 baht gold necklace for my wife .cost 19900 when the baht was selling for 18750 bullion . The desigb is nice with a heart and weighed at 15.4grams which I am guessing thats why it cost and extra 1150 baht .does this seem correct as I have been td it should have been 19200 tops?

Off topic ish but just bought a 1 baht gold necklace for my wife .cost 19900 when the baht was selling for 18750 bullion . The desigb is nice with a heart and weighed at 15.4grams which I am guessing thats why it cost and extra 1150 baht .does this seem correct as I have been td it should have been 19200 tops?

No you have been ripped off cos your farang

This is what you wanted to hear didn't you ?