Interesting Perspective On Thai Gold Jewellery!

rockyysdt

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellow thai gold is not considered fashionable to be worn in public by wealthy and educated Bangkok Thais. That is my observation. best of luck.

Elite fashion vs mainstream culture that's all. Going by averages, common, normal regular Thai gold is very much valued, and the 18k stuff is considered borderline fake.

Most people judge reality by what they see around them. Some farang mix in non-poor circles and think that's "the real Thailand" and share the elite view that upcountry farmers are no-nothing slobs - the fact that their values are closer to those familiar to us from back home reinforces this.

Others live amongst the rural poor and think that's "the real Thailand" and the urban elite are not representative, just repressive snobs.

There isn't one "Thai culture", dozens if not hundreds of conflicting/overlapping combinations based on all the different sociological variations.

• Like 2

This is a great question. If anyone answers negatively about 23 carat Thai gold it is the same as saying, "I don't have a clue about Thai culture." And 23 carat gold as opposed to white gold is, "I really don't have the slightest clue about Thai culture." Normal men figure out the gold thing in about 6 weeks.

I think you mean Isaan culture.

Why don't you go google some photos of some very famous and very wealthy Thai people or perhaps a TV Awards ceremony and see how much "White Gold + Diamonds" vs "Thick Yellow Gold" you see them wearing.

But of course, we know where you conduct all your surveys Kerry, and yes, Thick Yellow Gold is much more popular to those type of women.

As others have mentioned, there is a very logical reason why many nations use 18k for gold jewelry and use .9999 gold bullion for investment.

Anyways, I would love to invite you to visit the diamond jewelers in paragon or central world or mbk or anywhere else and ask them about white gold and 18k and the social status of their customers (all clueless farang surely)... but don't forget to change out of the Singha tank top first.

Ya right. Write it down and get back to me in 10 years. You'll laugh at yourself then. No insult intended but I got here in 1968. Some things never change. Issan? Perhaps you want to look at the gross amount of gold sold in baht in Thailand for a year. Take a look at the amount of jewelry stores in Bangkok. Where is 90% of the gold sold in Bangkok? There is 1% Wealthy and famous and 99% Thai people. Or turn it into actual numbers of people.

It doesn't mean the people buying it are wearing it and flashing it about. Just putting it away for the future.

My son got given gold when born. The people that bought it would never wear it.

The jewellry is soft

rubbish fairy tales do not come true no matter how often they are repeated. a jeweler/goldsmith will of course recommend that any jewelry that contains precious stones should be in the range of 20-22 carat and not higher, but that also depends on the stone's setting which might allow even 24 carat.

i am not willing to enter the discussion "Thais/Asian think... potential capital gain..." but i wholeheartedly endorse what KerryK mentioned, namely "...don't have a clue about Thai culture" and that claim is not limited to Thai culture but includes the Middle East and most of Asia.

many rainy seasons i worked and lived in a country where they would have cut off a jeweler's right hand if he sold an alloy containing 25% copper and silver and called it "gold" ermm.gif

Edited by Naam
  • Like 2

Typical TV, I know more about the "real Thai" population than you do BS. So completely ridiculous.

There is one thing all Thais understand which is the "value' of gold. That generally means 23 carat gold not 18 or whatever. Of course, the color and durability are issues to the practical westerner but of little consequence to Thais.

For those who are actually saying only uneducated Thais and / or prostitutes like the yellow, 23 carat gold, get real. How demeaning.

Like all matters of commerce, every gold shop in Thailand would be selling 18 carat gold if there was a demand for it. Funny, 99% of their inventory is not.

Personally, I just bought a very nice 23 carat gold chain and pendant for my lady and she loved it. All that matters to me (and her).

And please don't ask me if she's from Isaan and a bar girl.

• Like 1

When the Gold price eventually tumbles, how will that help those who have purchased at record prices?

You buy at record prices, your gf pays nothing and keeps the Thai gold.

That is what really happens, men buy, women keep or sell.

Thai people want Thai gold and nothing else.

There is no emotional attachment for gold with Thai ladies, it is purely seen as cash.

If you want to give a Thai lady a gift of jewelry that she will keep, buy her silver.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Typical TV, I know more about the "real Thai" population than you do BS. So completely ridiculous.

There is one thing all Thais understand which is the "value' of gold. That generally means 23 carat gold not 18 or whatever. Of course, the color and durability are issues to the practical westerner but of little consequence to Thais.

For those who are actually saying only uneducated Thais and / or prostitutes like the yellow, 23 carat gold, get real. How demeaning.

Like all matters of commerce, every gold shop in Thailand would be selling 18 carat gold if there was a demand for it. Funny, 99% of their inventory is not.

Personally, I just bought a very nice 23 carat gold chain and pendant for my lady and she loved it. All that matters to me (and her).

I get the feeling there are certain posters who are trying to rationalise the Thai gold vs 18 carat gold thing because they dont want to spend the money on the "real" gold for their little Issan teeraks.

I asked Mrs Soutpeel this exact question, who is incidently neither from Isaan or a BG and in her opinon a Thai ladys expection, irrespective of being a HiSo, or rice famers daughter would be the same...Thai gold and the perception at times is that 18k gold is somewhat not "real gold" AKA Farang gold...thumbsup.gif

So in summary Thai women of all backgrounds value 23 carot gold, fashioned as jewelry, predominantly as a tradable asset, but with a veneer of pretense.

Very indirect custom/tradition.

Why not dispense with the pretense and go straight to ingots?

Edited by rockyysdt

Unfortunately I am of the same opinion as others regarding the high end carat jewellry. The bracelets/necklaces break so very easily, and the 23 carat rings go out of shape so quickly often meaning that your wife/girlfriendwill insist you have to take it back to a shop and then buy a new one. Costing around 15% of the original money paid. I think this is a point that the Thai gold sellers like as it makes them more money.You can buy 18 carat gold engagement/wedding rings as I did in Pattaya.

Here gold is traded like cash, people trade gold on speculation and also use it as a quickly liquidated item in case of financial emergency.

Recent world economic troubles (2009 Global Financial meltdown, current world recession, and impending European problems), have propelled the price of gold through the roof.

Gold has never been this high.

When things get better and confidence in the $ and property is restored, gold prices will plunge.

Gold is only currently high due to the fear of holding cash/shares.

When the Gold price eventually tumbles, how will that help those who have purchased at record prices?

I think it costs over a $1000 to even produce an ounce of gold today. Gold may fall but I feel that it is probably going to be going higher in the coming years.

• Like 1

So in summary Thai women of all backgrounds value 23 carot gold, fashioned as jewelry, predominantly as a tradable asset, but with a veneer of pretense. Very indirect custom/tradition. Why not dispense with the pretense and go straight to ingots?

Sure, they like them too, heavier the better.

In fact I'd love you long time too if you sent enough my way. . .

I get the feeling there are certain posters who are trying to rationalise the Thai gold vs 18 carat gold thing because they dont want to spend the money on the "real" gold for their little Issan teeraks.

I asked Mrs Soutpeel this exact question, who is incidently neither from Isaan or a BG and in her opinon a Thai ladys expection, irrespective of being a HiSo, or rice famers daughter would be the same...Thai gold and the perception at times is that 18k gold is somewhat not "real gold" AKA Farang gold...thumbsup.gif

My wife says that the only gold that matters to her is the kind that comes with diamonds attached.

I spent 3.5 hrs in Siam Paragon today and I did not see a single person wearing a Thai gold chain. I did see tons of people wearing white gold with diamond earrings, rings, bracelets and necklaces.

Obviously, why the hell would anyone prefer 18k gold to 23k gold that is like saying some people prefer hondas to BMWs or Mcdonalds to Mortons Steak House. One is clearly of a higher purity. It does not change the fact that it is not considered fashionable by educated/rich Bangkokians to be walking around with yellow gold around your neck, fingers and wrists... however this is definitiely a fashion faux pas amongst our farang and mia farang community and I see tons of dark skinned Mia farang with their much older sugar daddies all decked out in yellow gold and amulets... Hiiiiiii Sooooooo

Best of luck.

Edited by farang000999

My wife says that the only gold that matters to her is the kind that comes with diamonds attached.

Mrs Soutpeel went one better on that front....stuff the gold...she wanted a diamond with platinum attached....thanks to my mummy dearest...biggrin.png

I spent 3.5 hrs in Siam Paragon today and I did not see a single person wearing a Thai gold chain. I did see tons of people wearing white gold with diamond earrings, rings, bracelets and necklaces.

Obviously, why the hell would anyone prefer 18k gold to 23k gold that is like saying some people prefer hondas to BMWs or Mcdonalds to Mortons Steak House. One is clearly of a higher purity. It does not change the fact that it is not considered fashionable by educated/rich Bangkokians to be walking around with yellow gold around your neck, fingers and wrists... however this is definitiely a fashion faux pas amongst our farang and mia farang community and I see tons of dark skinned Mia farang with their much older sugar daddies all decked out in yellow gold and amulets... Hiiiiiii Sooooooo

Best of luck.

Ah but the fashionable/educated/rich lot just keep the "real gold" in the safe at home

Best of luck.

You can tell the difference between white gold and stainless or silver at a distance? Wow. Mia Farang, now there's one have not heard since I left the Pattaya bar scene. I am also impressed that you can spot genuine 18K gold at a distance.

• Like 1

unforchantely for myself, i have had the displeasure of purchasing jewelry for my wife all over the city of bangkok. it is pretty standard that when you are buying something with diamonds in it that it will be white gold and likely 18k. i cannot recall any shops selling diamonds set in stainless steel. anyways this conversation is getting pointless. i have been a strong advocate of buying and owning gold these last six years and my recommendations for buying gold would be .9999 bars, Thai gold and i would not buy 18k gold. i think gold is a much better investment than diamonds but i would advise other farang to leave their gold at home or in the safety deposit box it does not look very good around your neck. my 2 satang.

Edited by farang000999

unforchantely for myself, i have had the displeasure of purchasing jewelry for my wife all over the city of bangkok. it is pretty standard that when you are buying something with diamonds in it that it will be white gold and likely 18k. i cannot recall any shops selling diamonds set in stainless steel. anyways this conversation is getting pointless. i have been a strong advocate of buying and owning gold these last six years and my recommendations for buying gold would be .9999 bars, Thai gold and i would not buy 18k gold. i think gold is a much better investment than diamonds but i would advise other farang to leave their gold at home or in the safety deposit box it does not look very good around your neck. my 2 satang.

I was looking at a shop last week. I think it is a chain named Aurora. They sold small bars one baht and a half baht. They wanted 250 baht commission to buy them back. Which I didn't understand. Is this normal?

I was looking at a shop last week. I think it is a chain named Aurora. They sold small bars one baht and a half baht. They wanted 250 baht commission to buy them back. Which I didn't understand. Is this normal?

Is that the total difference between their buy price and the sell price, assuming the underlying gold price is the same?

If so, very very reasonable IMO, assuming it's a trustworthy business and the gold is what they say it is.

Otherwise they'd actually be subsidising people's ability to use them for free speculation.

Probably a lot more expensive to do the same with futures-based paper-only trading, and then there's no security in the event of a political/social meltdown scenario. . .

the smaller the bar, the higher the spread sell/buy.

Thanks BJ and Naam. I am going to go buy a few bars Sunday. I don't have a safe. Where should I hide it? They are really pretty with the name and amount and purity engraved in the bar but I don't think I should have them on display. I don't have a clue where to put them. Very small one baht bars.

Edited by kerryk

Thanks BJ and Naam. I am going to go buy a few bars Sunday. I don't have a safe. Where should I hide it? They are really pretty with the name and amount and purity engraved in the bar but I don't think I should have them on display. I don't have a clue where to put them. Very small one baht bars.

Under your matress

Under your matress

PM me and I will send my address and you can hide it under my matress

Under your matress

I have safe at home and will gladly put it in there for you...whistling.gif

Under your matress

I have safe at home and will gladly put it in there for you...whistling.gif

Don't trust any of these guys, I'll keep it for you!

clap2.gif mario299

Under your matress

we keep our gold in the terrarium with a king cobra, and two black mambas whistling.gif