Road Problems & Eye Pollution

Valentine

I was reading an article about the problem of potholes, billboard proliferation seemingly without any control, ugly dangling cables.

The bypass road & the section from Lotus to Central is getting cut up fairly badly with same gaping potholes appearing. Major resurfacing is needed but I guess they need a good base. It seems to me new road surfaces do not last as long here as they should & if correct then we all know the problem. A pothole just past Promphan caused major slowdowns during the school run until it was given a "band aid".

Billboards large & small are everywhere with a couple of large ones crashing down during the recent storms. There appears to have been a sudden increase in the number of official looking signs pointing to commercial establishments. Occasionally I see authorities removing those cheap signs but often the other cheap political ones are left long after an election is over.

The dangling cables are pure ugly. Authorities have threatened to cut them down if the relevant agencies do not tidy them up. So what happens if they are suddenly cut & everyone loses their telephone or cable connection. However, I do agree the companies involved should take more responsibility.

One solution to road safety was to remove the garland sellers as they cause accidents when a driver suddenly stops to buy a garland. Now this pure is hogwash. I see garland sellers at major intersections peddling their wares but I have never seen them rush out to flag down a moving vehicle or a vehicle suddenly stop. I feel garland sellers serve a useful purpose in this Buddhist society.