What'S The Latest On The Re-Entry Permit Desk

Is it still possible to get a re-entry permit at Suvarnahumi?

If so, what are the hours of operation?

What is the required paperwork?

Current, first-hand accounts of experiences in the last month or so would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I was there a little less than 3 weeks ago and found the process fairly painless. Sorry, but I can't remember the hours, but they were as reported recently elsewhere on the forum. I think they actually filled out the form for me and just had me sign. There were no photos required, as I didn't have any ready. They have one of those little cameras.

A few tips I can relate: One is that I discovered there are two entrances to Immigration, one at either end of the departure hall. I had stood in line for about 10 minutes at the one on the far right side, looking in from the main entrance, when I realized there was not a Re-entry desk in sight. I asked an attendant, who told me I needed to go down to the Immigration entrance at the other end of the hall. I still had about 20 minutes before boarding, so rushed down there.

I saw the desk inside that Immigration entrance, and then also to the left inside there. There was no one sitting at the desk, but as soon as I walked up a lady came running out to help me. She took my passport and application and rushed to her office, I assume for a signature or something. I sat a few minutes wait, and wasn't sure whether I needed to go back to the other Immigration entrance afterward. I quickly found the answer when she came back and I was ushered into the front of the line inside this other hall, once I had the permit in my passport.

A few other passengers came up to queue while I waited, but it doesn't seem the wait is long. This was about 7 in the morning. I may have been lucky, but the service seemed very good to me. I wish public servants actually thought about serving the public back in the US like this.

Hope this helps a bit

"office hours" are from 06:00 to 24:00.

At the airport one indeed doesn't need a photo, but there is a service charge which you don't pay at normal immigration offices. You pay 1,200 or 1,300 baht instead of 1,000 baht for a single.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all, for the answers.

Because of the limited hours, operating only 6pm to midnight, I think it's best if I head down to my local immigration office for this precious stamp. I'm usually flying out early mornings or late night, so the service at Suvarnabhumi is of no use to me.

Thanks again.

Thanks all, for the answers.

Because of the limited hours, operating only 6pm to midnight, I think it's best if I head down to my local immigration office for this precious stamp. I'm usually flying out early mornings or late night, so the service at Suvarnabhumi is of no use to me.

Thanks again.

0600 is 6 am not 6 pm

0600 is 6 am not 6 pm

Thanks. My mistake. Been living in Thailand too long and now I can't tell time.

I think it is called Thai time. It has taken me some time to come to realise about Thai time. I now add anything from 30 minutes to an hour after being given a specific time. Last week I had a shock we were 5 minutes early.

• 11 months later...

I did my re-entry the other day so have found this thread to update as it seems to be the latest one. The desk is open 24 hours and it costs the normal price plus a couple of hundred baht extra more than it does at your local immigration office. If you live in Chiang Mai like me, it is well worth saving the nightmare that is at the local office. When I researched this before, I saw someone else write that this service should only be used in an emergency situation, totally disagree. I could not believe how fast and efficient it was. You do not need any photographs or forms or work permit either, they do everything for you.

You will see the desk after you check in and before you go through passport control. Obvously, you can only use the service if you are taking an international flight.

Hope this is useful...

Maybe not a good idea to sing the praises of the system TOO loudly. If word gets out and everybody and their brother stop getting re-entry permits in advance and wait to do it at the airport, queues will begin to form at the re-entry desk, and valuable time starts ticking away, especially if you happen to be unfortunate to be delayed in the queue for check-in at the airline counter.

• 9 months later...