U-Tapao Decision Must Be Debated In Public Forums: Thai Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL

U-Tapao decision must be debated in public forums

The Nation

30184172-01_big.jpg

US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, left, meets Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at Government House in Bangkok on June 5.

BANGKOK: -- With the US showing renewed interest in the Thai military base, discussion on its use must be transparent to reassure the public and our neighbours

The government must ensure transparency in the process of deciding whether to allow the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) to use U-Tapao base as a meteorology centre.

A transparent debate, both inside and outside Parliament, would help clear up any doubts and suspicions surrounding Nasa's request to use U-Tapao as a base for a weather-monitoring project.

The government is trying to downplay the request in order to avoid a House debate by reasoning that the issue is not subject to Article 190 of the Constitution.

However, now that the US request has attracted the attention of the public and the international news media, the government should ensure the approval process is conducted in the correct manner, and that the decision is in the best interests of the nation.

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the US Armed Forces, said the US would also like to cooperate with Thailand on the use of U-Tapao as a humanitarian disaster-relief centre. He denied that America wants to use U-Tapao as a full-scale military base. But his statement alone cannot clear suspicion that this is the real motive. After all, U-Tapao has been traditionally perceived as a strategic airport. It's used regularly as a base for the Cobra Gold exercises between Thai and American troops.

If the request is approved it would mean the arrival of the first American personnel and equipment at U-Tapao since the US pulled out of the Vietnam conflict more than three decades ago.

This is said to be Nasa's most complex and ambitious airborne-science programme, known as the Southeast Asia Composition, Cloud, Climate Coupling Regional Study, or SEAC4RS. With support from the US National Science Foundation and the Naval Research Laboratory, the campaign will draw together coordinated observations and data from Nasa satellites, research aircraft and an array of sites on the ground and at sea.

The timing of the request comes just after the US unveiled detailed plans to build and strengthen its military presence in the Southeast Asian region. US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said in Singapore earlier this month that the US would deploy in Asia more aircraft carriers, cruisers, destroyers, submarines and combat ships, carrying the most advanced technology and weapons, as part of what he called the "re-balancing of the US military to Asia".

It remains unclear what the implications will be of this sudden US military interest in regional development and security issues. The issue thus deserves to be discussed in order to provide better understanding among members of the public. The scientific aspect of the project is also worth discussion.

The Thai government is, however, anxious to avoid debate on the issue, saying the request does not fall under the Constitution's Article 190, which requires the government to seek approval from Parliament.

In fact, the general public perceives the US as a long-standing Thai ally. People well remember the sight of American military personnel providing humanitarian assistance to victims of the floods here last year.

The Pheu Thai government should not find it difficult to push through this agreement if it brings the issue to a parliamentary debate. The party controls a very comfortable majority in the House.

But the debate is important in that it will not only tell Thai people what exactly this project is about, but it will also reassure some of our neighbours in Asean, and China, which feels uneasy at the increasing US presence in the region. After all, the stakeholders in this matter are not limited to the opposition party at home.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-15

There is already a US military distribution centre in Utapao shuffling equipment and people all over Asia vis U Tapao. Beyond that they also have a permanent organisation to provide logistics to continue the search for MIA personnel.

I know it is an increase in presence, but I really don't see what Thailand really risks by allowing the US more access, other than to risk a pretty strong strategic friendship.

"It remains unclear what the implications will be of this sudden US military interest in regional development and security issues"

Unclear and sudden, huh?

The author of the op-ed is pandering to his Chinese masters. He uses words such as " discussion" and "transparent". cheesy.gif

This request by NASA to use U-Tapao for a whopping 2 months for a climate study is being blown way out of proportion.

It almost reads like a column in the Global Times.

No, no, this NASA weather-monitoring mission, which I think was to run for two months, being done in other countries also and probably be mostly NASA civilian contractors, will turn into a beachhead for a U.S. military invasion of Thailand. Within months we could see military convoys tens of miles long speeding up the expressway between Chonburi to Bangkok to take the country's capital city. No, no.....

No, no, this NASA weather-monitoring mission, which I think was to run for two months, being done in other countries also and probably be mostly NASA civilian contractors, will turn into a beachhead for a U.S. military invasion of Thailand. Within months we could see military convoys tens of miles long speeding up the expressway between Chonburi to Bangkok to take the country's capital city. No, no.....

Joke all you like, but that is how some editorials wish to portray this.

Yeap,...and nothing can be done to prevent such editorials as the press needs to write about something, preferrably the darker side of remote possiblilites since most people prefer to read news written with a sinisnter tone to it. But fortunately most people see such articles for what they really are...just sensational articles or an opinion by one individual who may have an extremist opinion. Gotta sell those newspapers.

This must be debated in public forums? What a load of <deleted>. This is what MP's are for - to take decisions on behalf of the electorate. Does the OP expect a plebiscite on every little subject?

If the US want to spend money on finding out whether we have weather, then sobeit. I can tell them that the weather recently has been wet. I hope that helps. I assume that there will be an influx of Americans (or hired Europeans to do all the work and the US to take all the credit) bringing big bucks with them so what right minded Thai is going to complain about that? This might be a good time to open a bar and/or bag shanty down U-Tapao way.

"It remains unclear what the implications will be of this sudden US military interest in regional development and security issues"

Unclear and sudden, huh?

The author of the op-ed is pandering to his Chinese masters. He uses words such as " discussion" and "transparent". cheesy.gif

This request by NASA to use U-Tapao for a whopping 2 months for a climate study is being blown way out of proportion.

I think no one believes the "climate study" story anymore.

USA controls Thailand already. No need to invade it like Iraq....

These other countrymen FORGET how many times the USA saved their A$$! during wars! Esp. the Brits :)

Unclear and sudden, huh?

Despite the fact that this has been done in other countries as well?

If is not a climate study, what is it? A spy mission over the PRC?

They have other "agencies" doing that already.

Unclear and sudden, huh?

The oil in the gulf and between China and Vietnam is a good reason.

Considering what the USA does in Pakistan, Irak, Iran, Syria, Libya, Tibet etc etc etc I would not like a climate study there. Why not have an office for it at an university or in Bangkok and fly their things from an civil airport, Don Muang for example? Everything in the open. Maybe with webcams and direct download for us hobby-weather-scientists? They do such things with other civilian projects. If it has nothing to do with Military it shouldn't be a problem?

Unclear and sudden, huh?

The oil in the gulf and between China and Vietnam is a good reason.

Considering what the USA does in Pakistan, Irak, Iran, Syria, Libya, Tibet etc etc etc I would not like a climate study there. Why not have an office for it at an university or in Bangkok and fly their things from an civil airport, Don Muang for example? Everything in the open. Maybe with webcams and direct download for us hobby-weather-scientists? They do such things with other civilian projects. If it has nothing to do with Military it shouldn't be a problem?

In the original internal NASA briefing the decision was U-Tapao, University or Institute - so they could have held it at a civilian airport, but I believe that they opted for U-Tapao because they already know this facility and are sure of its security (to make surer things don't go missing).

They are also using up to 4 aircraft (including a DC8) in the air almost constantly, utilising the airport fairly extensively during the period, so it would be pretty disruptive to any normal commercial airfield.

For office accommodation they could use either existing office space in U-Tapao, or the GISTDA facility at Sri Racha which is only 40 miles away - but again as they are doing almost constant operations during the flights proximity to the Air Traffic Control could possibly be helpful.

As to the Nation insinuating that this is partly a clandestine mission, they were intending to organise a media day, VIP tours and even school visits during the campaign - not sure if these will happen now...

Crobe

Edited by crobe
  • Like 1

As another rebuttal of the NASA campaign being a covert cover for anti Chinese espionage, it is interesting to note that the lead scientist organising the campaign is Johnny Luo - or to give him his full chinese name Dr Zhengzhao Johnny Luo, who only move to the states after completing his BSc in Beijing in 1997.

Crobe

US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, left, meets Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at Government House in Bangkok on June 5.

I'm glad they addded this reference in the article,otherwise I would have never had a clue about who was who.laugh.png

These other countrymen FORGET how many times the USA saved their A$$! during wars! Esp. the Brits smile.png

Go and learn some history and stop believing the crap that Hollywood puts out. Make a start by checking on the casualty figures in the European and North African theatres. In the gratefulness stakes France comes nowhere. BTW the US had more than enough trouble saving their own asses in Vietnam. The one thing that the US leads the field in is the killing of friendly forces.

Edited by Bagwan