Thaksin Seeks Answers On Failed Vote From Banharn

webfact

Thaksin seeks answers on failed vote from Banharn

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Chart Thai Pattana Party chief adviser Banharn Silapa-archa has acknowledged that Thaksin Shinawatra called him after Tuesday's Parliament session, in which the legislature failed to vote on whether to comply with the Constitution Court's order to halt the third reading of the charter-change bill.

Thaksin asked about eight of the party's MPs who disappeared before votes could be cast. Banharn said he told Thaksin that there was confusion over the timing of the vote and that some of the MPs had urgent business, while others were sick.

A vote on whether to comply with the court order could not be held as it lacked the required number of supporters in a preliminary vote.

"Thaksin called me at 4 pm. But I assured him that it won't happen again, and he understood." Banharn said.

The Pheu Thai Party yesterday announced it would punish MPs who do not attend the next vote session.

"MPs will have to clarify the reason…and if it's unreasonable, they will be punished," party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said.

Besides the debate over the Constitution Court's injunction, the Cabinet reshuffle is another subject of wide speculation. Banharn yesterday addressed rumours that some positions held by coalition parties would be shuffled. He said Chart Thai Pattana hadn't received any cooperation on the reshuffle from the government yet. However, personally, he thought the changes would be minor.

Deputy Prime Minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapha yesterday cast doubt on rumours that he would be removed from the Cabinet. He said a newspaper published the rumour but didn't name the source, so he didn't believe it.

"The newspaper referred to a source but didn't say who it was - maybe it was only their imagination," Yutthasak said.

He said he would know beforehand if there would be any Cabinet reshuffle. Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra always informed him, and he had yet to get any message on the topic, he said. Asked if the Cabinet reshuffle was aimed at paving the way for 111 former TRT executives to join the government, he said it would depend on the premier's decision.

On rumours that Yingluck was in line to double as defence minister, Yutthasak was asked if it was suitable for the post to be held by a woman. He said nothing was impossible, and that if the premier became defence minister, it would be a historic moment for the Defence Ministry.

He didn't respond clearly when asked whether the military would accept Yingluck as defence minister. He only said there are many ways to run the ministry, and that Yingluck would have an assistant or representative to help her, as she is also prime minister and might not have time to cover all the work. On why he she would need to take two seats at one time, he declined to comment, saying that the rumour was started by a newspaper.

"But if we're talking about the legal aspect, she can do it, as the law allows it," Yutthasak said.

It was earlier reported that the coalition parties wanted a sudden change in their Cabinet posts, and that three positions held by them would be changed: Chart Pattana leader Suwat Liptapanlop would replace Pongsvas Svasti as industry minister; the Palang Chon Party's Sonthaya Kunplome would replace his wife Sukumol as culture minister; and Chart Thai Pattana's Yukol Limlamthong, former permanent secretary of agriculture, would replace Theera Wongsamut as agriculture minister.

Some Pheu Thai Party MPs reportedly want Education Minister Suchart Tadathamrongvej removed for lack of achievements, while some MPs want Yongyuth Wichaidith to be replaced as interior minister while being allowed to retain his deputy PM position.

However, a source said Yingluck wants to delay the Cabinet reshuffle as she fears it will stir up the political crisis and launch a wave of dissatisfaction inside the party.

The source said the Cabinet reshuffle would be done this month or in early July at the latest. It is expected to involve only four or five positions, with Suchart and Yutthasak being removed, and Yongyuth retaining only his seat as deputy prime minister. Names mentioned in connection with the reshuffle include Pongthep Thepkanjana, a former justice minister, and Warathep Rattanakorn.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-15

Thaksin asked about eight of the party's MPs who disappeared before votes could be cast. Banharn said he told Thaksin that there was confusion over the timing of the vote and that some of the MPs had urgent business, while others were sick.

While the cat's away, the mice will play. How, I wonder, would Thaksin propose to "punish" those recalcitrant offenders? It's priceless watching the Thai body politic in action; it's like a symphony of chaos and backstabbing, perpetrated by individuals with all of the emotional and intellectual sophistication of third-graders.

How? 'Bonus' reduction???

Banharn should call his bluff

'Alright then Khun Thaksin, if you're that smart then why don't you fly back today and take control of the country?'. 'What do you mean you're scared of the welcoming committee that will be at the airport waiting for you?'

Says it all, TS knows his goose is cooked, its time others started realizing it too. Maybe these 8 do.

• Like 2

Mister Thaksin.

How many times have we heard you bleat about "True Democracy"?

Here is how it works.

At a general election, the political parties are voted on for the policies that they promise to implement.

Voters voted for Chart Thai Pattana because that is what they wanted to do.

I don't think they expected their MPs to be directed by an unelected fugitive living in Dubai.

Do you?

• Like 1

Yes those 8 have to be careful. If they don't do as the reds want, their families' information might be published.

THAT is way democracy is NOT working in Thailand. In Thailand coalition partners HAVE to vote the same way as the ruling party otherwise they get punished. But of course, once they obey to the master, they can expect some nice benefits for themselves, their families AND their friends. Politics in Thailand is a lucrative business if you play it right.

Mob rule rules!!!!

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Why doesn't Banharn grow a set and tell the fugitive criminal to "make love elsewhere". Is "forming a coalition" another way of saying "becoming somebody's bum boy"?

Coalition partners are generally given some sort of sweetener as a thank you but are expected to "toe the party line". Think Democrats and the BJP in the last government (BJP given the "lucrative" Interior, Transport and Commerce Ministries as a big thank you and look how well they they expressed their thanks to the dems whistling.gif )

Mister Thaksin.

Here is how it works.

At a general election, the political parties are voted on for the policies that they promise to implement.

I don't think they expected their MPs to be directed by an unelected fugitive living in Dubai.

Do you?

Mister Thaksin.

Here is how it works.

Do you?

your wasting your breath TIT and sheep will follow their idol blindly and get what they deserve. Ive been here around 20 years and am sorry to say although their are some very nice Thais many are happy to betray even members of their family, cheat and do whatever for a few baht and HiSO Thais are worse. I suppose with people like Taksin to show the lead they are just

following their leader but totally fail to get that its them the real poor who are getting shafted. Maybe the new generation with

access to internet will throw of their chains and get rid of Taksin his clan and rest like them but its going to be many years.

Why doesn't Banharn grow a set and tell the fugitive criminal to "make love elsewhere". Is "forming a coalition" another way of saying "becoming somebody's bum boy"?

Coalition partners are generally given some sort of sweetener as a thank you but are expected to "toe the party line". Think Democrats and the BJP in the last government (BJP given the "lucrative" Interior, Transport and Commerce Ministries as a big thank you and look how well they they expressed their thanks to the dems whistling.gif )

You overlook the crux of the matter, that Thaksin is ostensibly not a member of this government , when in fact he heads it. Of course, the first recourse is to press the "What about the Democrats" button.

As you believe that a fugitive criminal is the de-facto head of this government, then you certainly won't complain when the party is dissolved for his involvement.

• Like 1

Why compare with the Dems?

• Like 1

PPD quietly overlooks that the Democrats needed BJT to make up the numbers to form a government. PTP needs CTP for legitimacy.

• Like 1

46 Billion! Oh I can see why the prices of food and fuel have gone up, to pay for Mr T.

Some Politicians are waiting for a commission before voting. thumbsup.gif

Meanwhile Thailand's image goes further down the toilet, which is exactly what mr. Vindictive wants.

• Like 1

Yes those 8 have to be careful. If they don't do as the reds want, their families' information might be published.

THAT is way democracy is NOT working in Thailand. In Thailand coalition partners HAVE to vote the same way as the ruling party otherwise they get punished. But of course, once they obey to the master, they can expect some nice benefits for themselves, their families AND their friends. Politics in Thailand is a lucrative business if you play it right.

Mob rule rules!!!!

Their explanation is the usual one. 'He forced me to change my mind and allegiance by offering me money.' This concept totally permeates the body Thailand.

Quote : "Thaksin called me at 4 pm. But I assured him that it won't happen again, and he understood." Banharn said."

As usual showing that he has less in the ball department than a post op katoey.

• Like 1

You overlook the crux of the matter, that Thaksin is ostensibly not a member of this government , when in fact he heads it. Of course, the first recourse is to press the "What about the Democrats" button.

As you believe that a fugitive criminal is the de-facto head of this government, then you certainly won't complain when the party is dissolved for his involvement.

I'm not sure where in my post you found me proposing that Thaksin is de facto head of this government, last time I looked it was Yingluck Shiniwatra who was PM. It must be that famous "mind reading" gene that a few posters on here have.

When offering an alternative view to an argument, as I have said many times, what do you expect me to talk about, the Matubhum Party? Thailand basically has two important political parties, the PTP, in power and the dems, in opposition. Therefore it seems entirely appropriate to reference to the opposition party, if that offends you, get over it.

I'm quite sure that Thaksin does have a word in the ear of certain people such as Baharn admits above. However you'd be naive in the extreme if you didn't admit that banned MP Newin Chidchob influenced your golden boy abhisit and the dem coalition party when they were the government (not to mention other "non- political" personages).

Because thats what PPD and his fellow supporters of the great Thaksin do, they throw in side tracks which all to often others follow.

Back to the subject.

What right has a crim on the run to question anything?

The sooner this clown gets what he deserves the better.

When offering an alternative view to an argument, as I have said many times, what do you expect me to talk about, the Matubhum Party? Thailand basically has two important political parties, the PTP, in power and the dems, in opposition. Therefore it seems entirely appropriate to reference to the opposition party, if that offends you, get over it.

PPD quietly overlooks that the Democrats needed BJT to make up the numbers to form a government. PTP needs CTP for legitimacy.

Is now a good time to mention the Army barracks meeting?

I'm not sure where in my post you found me proposing that Thaksin is de facto head of this government, last time I looked it was Yingluck Shiniwatra who was PM. It must be that famous "mind reading" gene that a few posters on here have.

I'm quite sure that Thaksin does have a word in the ear of certain people such as Baharn admits above. However you'd be naive in the extreme if you didn't admit that banned MP Newin Chidchob influenced your golden boy abhisit and the dem coalition party when they were the government (not to mention other "non- political" personages).

How is jumping to Thaksin's commands "toeing the party line" if Yingluk is the PM?

Oh, and straight back to "What about the Democrats". Read the thread title, please try to stay on topic.

• Like 1

I just read in another news report that the agriculture minister, who is from CTP, has been getting flak from PTP over his performance during the floods. This is a prelude to the cabinet reshuffle. However, he has stated he does not want to work with PTP anymore which could be why the CTP members ran for the exits before the vote. It could be also be that Banharn is losing his grip as his clout has always come from having no political ideals but instead willing to jump the fence at the drop of a hat. He is also arguably the most inept PM Thailand has ever had although Chavalit might vie for that title as the pair of them led Thailand into the financial crisis in 1997.

• Like 1

Standard procedure from some posters...

How is jumping to Thaksin's commands "toeing the party line" if Yingluk is the PM?

Oh, and straight back to "What about the Democrats". Read the thread title, please try to stay on topic.

It's that "mind reading" gene again only this time it's mutated into a "non comprehension" gene. If you read it normally you'll find it is a sentence that is non specific to any political party but is in fact a generally accepted arrangement. Minority Parties do not join a coalition out of the kindness of their own hearts.

I'll take note of the new rule

When the Topic is about a Political Party or personage associated with that Party no counterpoint referring to any other political party (even though they are the party in opposition) is allowed.

It's that "mind reading" gene again only this time it's mutated into a "non comprehension" gene. If you read it normally you'll find it is a sentence that is non specific to any political party but is in fact a generally accepted arrangement. Minority Parties do not join a coalition out of the kindness of their own hearts.

When the Topic is about a Political Party or personage associated with that Party no counterpoint referring to any other political party (even though they are the party in opposition) is allowed.

I don't know if a constant alternative view is allowed, appreciated and contributing to the topic, I call it of-topic and childish to always start talking about the Dems.

Fact is that the PT party is now the government and therefore the spotlight is on them. Maybe one day the Dems will be the ruling party and THEN you can spill out all your frustrations.

Edited by Nickymaster

So in a topic about Thaksin and a government coalition party, you were generalising and not referring to either, without specifically stating that.

And in the multiple off topic references, you weren't trying to divert the topic.

And you aren't a PTP sycophant.

And pigs fly.

• Like 2