Phuket Police Take Chainsaws To Drug Problem

webfact

Phuket police take chainsaws to drug problem

Phuket Gazette

ch1.jpeg

CHAINSAW MASSACRE: Police cut down several large kratom trees in Phuket Town. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

ch2.jpeg

The trees were loaded into a pickup truck and taken to the Crime Suppression Division Phuket office. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Chainsaw-wielding police took a cut out of the drug-supply in Phuket on yesterday, bringing down several enormous kratom trees on Luang Poh Road.

Despite kratom trees being native to Southeast Asia, their leaves have been considered a controlled substance, in the same category as cannabis, since promulgation of the Kratom Act in 1943. The law made planting the tree illegal and ordered all existing tress cut down.

The Crime Suppression Division unit led by Pol Maj Roongsak Maichandee inspected the site in Talad Yai, Phuket Town, after receiving reports form local residents that there were “many kratom trees” in the area, located in the heart of the town near the Phuket Provincial Commerce Offices.

“We found four enormous kratom trees. We believe each one is at least 10 years old,” Maj Roongsak said.

“We cut them down and moved them to the CSD Phuket office. So far nobody has come forward as the owner of the trees,” he explained.

“After today’s inspection, the officers have cut down all the kratom trees in the area to prevent the trees’ leaves from being used as drug,” Maj Roongsak said.

The community reported to the police the several “youngsters”, both from the community and elsewhere, came to the area to collect the leaves to make a concoction known as “4x100”.

The concoction – a combination of kratom leaf extract, cough syrup, cola and ice – is well-known throughout Southern Thailand, where reports of its existence go back to 2004.

Several sub-variants have also been reported, one of which includes ground up mosquito coils. Another, reported in Ranong, includes coffee and goes under the English-language name "one to call", a play on a popular prepaid mobile phone service available in Thailand.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle16183.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-06-15

Excuse me kind sir, you cut down my drug tree?! Really guys, moved them to your office?!

I remember when I found out it was illegal to own a chainsaw that was above a certain length. .. I just threw my hands up and smiled "TIT" great solutions to great problems. . .

Humbug! This is a ridiculous "solution" to a minor problem. Kratom (mitragynine) is a relatively harmless drug that has several useful medicinal properties. As a recreational drug, at low doses it is mildly stimulant while at higher doses it is mildly narcotic. It enables people to do hard physical labour and then to "chill" afterwards. It has few side effects, produces no hangover and is rarely addictive unless used to excess. What kind of legislation entirely outlaws a naturally occurring plant?

Edited by Honkytowner

Humbug! This is a ridiculous "solution" to a minor problem. Kratom (mitragynine) is a relatively harmless drug that has several useful medicinal properties. As a recreational drug, at low doses it is mildly stimulant while at higher doses it is mildly narcotic. It enables people to do hard physical labour and then to "chill" afterwards. It has few side effects, produces no hangover and is rarely addictive unless used to excess. What kind of legislation entirely outlaws a naturally occurring plant?

Thanks for the info thumbsup.gif Now where did I put that book on the Flora And Fauna of Thailand ...

The headline looks impressive though....... and it makes the authorities look like they are actually doing something constructive. Remember appearance is everything in the blessed land of smiles.....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

But when have you ever seen a Thai doing hard physical labor?!? They are at a place of work for long hours but rarely have I seen a Thai do hard physical labor. Surely this is the land of the most inefficient labor force, my local Thaiwatsidu has 5-10 workers in every department, most are standing around talking while one actually does something. On average there are more workers everyday all day then there are customers. But then go to the check out line, there are one or two cashiers. Same for just about any and all businesses in Thailand, lots and lots and lots of people giving advice on how to do something but few actually doing any real work. Got a couple ladies that sweep our soi everyday ,,, when they are finished it still needs sweeping. Yesterday there were four guys outside installing a electric lights, one guy was doing the work and the other three were pointing and talking to him. Should I even mention they were working with 240 volt current and were wearing flip flops and using scissors and some worn out pliers to affect the installation? No those are standard work tools here. Not one light, not a home improvement project, nope this was a commercial installation of 10 street lights.

But I digress ,,, what was the original topic? Oh ya right, drugs, yep I agree they need the drugs to cope with the strenuous work load. Carry on.

• Like 1