Bangkok: Unlicensed Cabbies Heed Crackdown

webfact

Unlicensed cabbies heed crackdown

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- During the eleven days of the "Taxi Overhaul" project (June 1-11), a total of 16,278 cabbies applied for a public transport licence, or 1,479 a day, compared to the usual rate of 20 applications per day, Land Transport Department chief Somchai Siriwattanachok said yesterday.

Somchai said the project had been launched after figures showed many cabbies were working without a licence. The number of cabbies applying for licences this year until May 31 was 66,645 while the number of taxis registered was much higher at 102,575.

The office was also providing a public transport licence application service on weekends to accommodate the city's cabbies, he added.

Taxi drivers who work without such a licence risk being jailed for up to one month and/or incurring a Bt1,000 fine.

Somchai said that between June 1 and 12, 3,868 cabbies had been caught failing to comply with regulations. Most were unable to present a public transport licence, were not wearing suitable clothing or were not displaying a taxi driver's ID card in the cab.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-15

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- During the eleven days of the "Taxi Overhaul" project (June 1-11), a total of 16,278 cabbies applied for a public transport licence, or 1,479 a day, compared to the usual rate of 20 applications per day, Land Transport Department chief Somchai Siriwattanachok said yesterday.

Somchai said the project had been launched after figures showed many cabbies were working without a licence. The number of cabbies applying for licences this year until May 31 was 66,645 while the number of taxis registered was much higher at 102,575.

The office was also providing a public transport licence application service on weekends to accommodate the city's cabbies, he added.

Taxi drivers who work without such a licence risk being jailed for up to one month and/or incurring a Bt1,000 fine.

Somchai said that between June 1 and 12, 3,868 cabbies had been caught failing to comply with regulations. Most were unable to present a public transport licence, were not wearing suitable clothing or were not displaying a taxi driver's ID card in the cab.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-15

Nail the b#%^^^ to wall ...

I doubt that many of these illegal taxi drivers will be given the one month sentences that might deter them. They will probably have their hands slapped and told to pay 1000 baht to somebody. What's a thousand baht to continue operating illegally.

The wheels keep going round and round.

Every time I need a cab and get an air conditioned metered taxi that is so cheap I never worry about the price without waiting more than a minute I appreciate the system, however corrupt and dysfunctional it may be.

Edited by ricklev
  • Like 2

Increase the amount of licensed taxis, and as Pseudolos says, start crushing unlicenced vehicles.

It's difficult to get the balance right, peak periods always show undercapacity for taxis, if the amount of licences are increased What will happen is that some licenced operators will work part time during peak periods only.

That's common in the West, guys hold down full time jobs elsewhere and only taxi part time at peak times when the money is good. It-s called capitalism at work.

What will happen is that some licenced operators will work part time during peak periods only.

So what's the difference with unlicensed taxi's, they can not work partime?What has the licensed/unlicensed issue have to do with availability of taxis?

Not that I approve unlicensed taxi's, but this crackdown will rather decrease the number of taxis than increase.

Why can't this crackdown be extended to Samui and Phuket?

Samui - the same reason they refuse to turn on a meter. Owned and protected by BIB.

I get off the ferry, guy says "Taxi?" I say "meter?" - end of conversation.

Illegal taxi's line up daily near major hotels, fishing for customers and charging outrageous prices for "tours". You see the same ones every day on Suk. 5 by the Amari; junky older cars with hand lettered signs, can't believe that people actually fall for their scams....except that I myself did on my first trip to Thailand: B600 to Don Muang...Duh!!!

If you look at the increase in the amount of licences applied for it's obvious the police aren't doing their job if so many have got away with it for so long.

Maybe they need a crackdown on police otherwise it will all go back to normal after the crackdown.

Samui - the same reason they refuse to turn on a meter. Owned and protected by BIB.

I get off the ferry, guy says "Taxi?" I say "meter?" - end of conversation.

You know something is wrong when it's cheaper to rent a jeep for the day in order to pick someone up from the airport, than using a taxi.

If a limit was put on the number of taxis on the island then there is more chance of the meters being used. At this time of year most of the drivers I know consider it a good day if they get more than one job so they have to cash in on it. With less taxis around there would be more jobs and if they then turned on the meter then people would use them more. Even with a 50% reduction in the number of taxis on the island there would not be a shortage.

I am kind of surprised in the positive way. They have done a step forward to break down something illegal. Well done.

Or is it just them saying it has been done, to save face and make it look like they were following through?

I am kind of surprised in the positive way. They have done a step forward to break down something illegal. Well done.

Or is it just them saying it has been done, to save face and make it look like they were following through?

Whatever. Who knows? But at least there is something to show off and as the numbers have shown that there will be more licensed cabs anyway. Little things can make a big difference.

Easy enough for Police to make significant progress with applying this Law. Doesn't need nation wide action. Maintain Taxi Licence checkpoints at every airport and major train station, with on-the-spot vehicle confiscation. Any of these drivers who held a full and unblemished driving licence and had no other recent criminal convictions, could be offerered the opportunity to sit a new and enhanced Taxi Drivers test and/or face Court action. That would curb the majority of Licence dodging. Other Taxi driving regulations such as use of meter, should be rigorously enforced. These actions would enhance respect for the important role of Taxi Drivers in society. Of course, the Cab owning Companies must be prosecuted as accessories, alongside any driver caught breaking these Laws. Job done !

Easy enough for Police to make significant progress with applying this Law. Doesn't need nation wide action. Maintain Taxi Licence checkpoints at every airport and major train station, with on-the-spot vehicle confiscation. Any of these drivers who held a full and unblemished driving licence and had no other recent criminal convictions, could be offerered the opportunity to sit a new and enhanced Taxi Drivers test and/or face Court action. That would curb the majority of Licence dodging. Other Taxi driving regulations such as use of meter, should be rigorously enforced. These actions would enhance respect for the important role of Taxi Drivers in society. Of course, the Cab owning Companies must be prosecuted as accessories, alongside any driver caught breaking these Laws. Job done !

How long you stay in Thailand (if you do)? How much "backstage view/knowledge/experience" you have of "real" life here, especially in transport business? Either you are a newbie or blind. Dream on, my dear...

Edited by KhunMichael

Why can't this crackdown be extended to the qualifications beyond taxi licences?

For example: Police badge numbers and licences, a step up to local authority tea-baggers, then MPs, and finally Supreme 'members'.. (members being hyphenated for correct colloquial usage, as in you 'member' you!! = anagram of "complete toss pot" - a few misaligned letters, sorry).

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

What will happen is that some licenced operators will work part time during peak periods only.

So what's the difference with unlicensed taxi's, they can not work partime?What has the licensed/unlicensed issue have to do with availability of taxis?

Not that I approve unlicensed taxi's, but this crackdown will rather decrease the number of taxis than increase.

And that would surely be a good thing, right?

Pls, read this in a Scottish accent.

I sure hope they are not heading it down, as they'd be lost at the first illegal turn.

Oh sorreeee. Legal turn, that's the way, that earns them a good tea bag.

cheesy.gif

-mel. clap2.gif

IMHO, it would have been better to take these unlicensed taxis out of service. Surely no-one can argue that we already have more than enough(?)

There are times, usually during peak periods, when it seems that if it weren't for all these cabs, we wouldn't have a traffic problem...!!

I drive every day several times a day in different parts of the city ... hmm yep cabs cause some problems (drive slow hoping to find a fare, don't pull all the way over to pick up a fare or drop one off), but the motorcycles are by far a substantially greater problem and the buses are equally if not a greater problem then the taxis. The buses will push their way over to the far right lane to avoid traffic and then moments later push their way back to the far left lane to pick up/drop off passengers, don't pull all the way over to the side of the road, etc. But by far the motorcycles are the biggest problem, aside from the poor roads and stupid design of all roads in Thailand. The motorcycles have little regard for their own safety .. they drive against traffic. The drive on the sidewalks. You begin a lane change or a turn and a motorcycle continues to speed past you so you have to slow down or halt your movement, it doesn't matter that you had your turn indicator on for several seconds. Or they drive much slower than the prevailing traffic. Or they drive on the edge of the lane even when there are no other vehicles and cause cars to speed up or slow down to get around them. Or pile up at the head of the intersection waiting for the light to change and when it does they just drive slowly forward occupying all lanes for several seconds preventing other vehicles from moving forward. Or maybe you have missed all the SCARED drivers that drive slower than the other vehicles or are afraid to change lanes or make a turn and it takes them several seconds to complete the action.

Less than 1% of the vehicles on the road, 100,000 taxis out of the SEVERAL MILLION cars on the Thai roads causing all the trouble? I don't think so. It is just the fact that they are painted bizarre colors that makes them more apparent to the eye. In reality they are a tiny fraction of the problem. The design of the roads is by far a greater contributor to the traffic congestion than the taxis are. Considering the number of vehicles on the roads in such a small area I am surprised at how well it all does work.