My *#&@&! Canon Scanner/Printer Problem!

jaideeguy

So, after a year of refilling my ink cartridges, my Canon mp250 [3 in 1] printer/scanner wouldn't read my freshly refilled black in cartridge. Went to replace it with a new cartridge @ 750thb. A new Canon printer only [with added ink wells] was only 2.2Kthb, so I bought it and the vendor assured me that my old mp250 scanner would continue to work......but NOT!!

Today I tried to scan and got the error message that 'scanner driver will be disabled' [because of no black ink cartridge??] Give me a break!! Why would the scan function be disabled??

Just ranting at Canon and wondering if there is any way to use my scanner without the black cartridge?? just to scan docs, pics etc......

or do I just throw it into the dead printer pile at the rubbish dump??

"Today I tried to scan and got the error message that 'scanner driver will be disabled' [because of no black ink cartridge??] Give me a break!! Why would the scan function be disabled??"

It seems highly unlikely to me that the scanning function would be disabled due to lack of ink.

You don't explain how you are initiating the scan but I would recommend doing it from a PC application rather than using the buttons on the scanner itself. Select the "scan to file" option in the printer driver control panel when it pops up. That said, if you continue to have problems doing it that way then try using the scanner buttons/menu instead.

Make sure that your old printer is not the default Windows printer.

Have to agree with Darrel, use a PC application to handle the actual scanning rather than the buttons on the device.

I had a similar problem with my HP all-in-one scanner/printer. The single biggest obsticle to using this device was actually HP's software. I had all but given up and was ready to junk the device when, as a last resort, I tried VueScan.

Not only did VueScan work, but it worked so much better than the horrible HP software.

Before you trash your device, give VueScan a try.

http://www.hamrick.com/

+1 for Vuescan.

I have an ancient Canon scanner for which Canon decided not to release Win7 drivers. Vuescan runs it perfectly.

I dont think the OP needs to go this far though as he does have the proper drivers for his OS.

Do you have the tanks on the side?,was the black print head for me, seems to throw everything out. Picasa is a good program,if I have troubles with the 250 using that as the control for the printer sorts itself out (for me anyway) then the printer starts behaving as it should

I had the same problem and can confirm that after many hours trying to find a work around you cannot scan unless you have an ink cartridge with some ink in it installed!

I will never buy another Canon printer!!!!!!!!!

I had a relatively expensive Canon printer. The little ink tanks were difficult to find so I weakened and bought a refill kit. I refilled the black ink tank and everything worked great until the next time I wanted to use the printer. I got a print head error. I took the printer to a good computer shop and was told I had to replace the print head. The new print head was 2,500 baht. I bought a three in one HP printer for that same price. It has been flawless for the past two years and yes, the ink cartridges are expensive but if/when it dies, I'll throw it away and buy another just like it.

I had a relatively expensive Canon printer. The little ink tanks were difficult to find so I weakened and bought a refill kit. I refilled the black ink tank and everything worked great until the next time I wanted to use the printer. I got a print head error. I took the printer to a good computer shop and was told I had to replace the print head. The new print head was 2,500 baht. I bought a three in one HP printer for that same price. It has been flawless for the past two years and yes, the ink cartridges are expensive but if/when it dies, I'll throw it away and buy another just like it.

750 baht tuk com for 250 cheapest and best I have ever had Edited by 23962323

Had the same problem with my Canon 250.

Inkman, the people where I bought the machine including the tanks, visited me at home, disabled something in the computer and the printer.

No more problems, works fantastic.

Seems to be something in the driver that "speaks" with the printer.

Had problems with the Canon 4000, Inkman did the same thing.

No more problems

• 1 month later...

I am not sure if this is the right place for this fix I've found. If everything works on your Canon Pixma printer except black??

Check all the usuals;

print head alignment,

clean, deep clean,

wash print head luke warm water dry carefully,

reinstall latest drivers etc.

Try printer USB mode on any OTHER PC.

Download and use canon My printer utility from their site. This is a diagnostic programme for your printer.

If all else fails it is probably the printer head. I have a Canon Pixma IP400R. Couldn't print in Black. I had spare black cartridges (smaller size) so I replaced Cyan Magenta and yellow cartridges with black cartridges.

I select font colour to standard green (the default green in MS Office). After printing a few "green blocks" to purge old colour still in head. Hey presto can now print in black!! It also helps to set printer preferences to high quality.

If you are like me and want to screw the last ounce out of every device this will work with most Canon Pixma range as the ink cartridges are the same size for small black and colours.

This is for anyone who mostly prints black text. As you are basically turning a non functioning colour printer into a BW printer.