Yingluck 'Failed Victims Of Last Year's Flood Crisis'

Lite Beer

Yingluck 'failed victims of last year's flood crisis'

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut yesterday accused Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra of failing to fulfil her promise to compensate flood victims, adding that allegations of corruption in the government's flood-rehabilitation scheme are rife.

He said Yingluck promised fair compensation for flood victims in Pathum Thani; traders in Rangsit market, for instance, were to receive Bt20,000 each. But on June 8 police arrested three protest leaders who were sentenced to one month in jail for rallying and blocking roads.

Chavanond said the three led villagers who were angry about not getting compensation in the amount promised by the government, while red shirt protesters who burned down parts of the capital did not have to go to jail, received Bt7.75 million in compensation and some got to become ministers.

"The protesters lost patience and had to come out to rally because they received only Bt250-Bt300 in compensation. The PM has been nothing short of a marketer who only wants to project an image," he said.

Yingluck on November 5 promised every family would get Bt30,000 within 45 days, but it has been more than half a year and they have not received this amount. Flood victims wanted not only to air their grievances over the unfair compensation but also to bring to light the fact that officials had taken kickbacks out of their compensation, Chavanond added.

Meanwhile, Panthongtae Shinawatra, son of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, posted a message on his Facebook page accusing Chavanond of crossing the line of political etiquette by describing Panthongtae with the word "pitukart", meaning a son who kills his father. Chavanond had used the word to argue that Panthongtae's defence of his father against accusations that he had enriched himself through politics had only implicated him further.

Panthongtae said that by using the word, Chavanond had done a disservice to both Panthongtae and his father.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-17

the three led villagers who were angry about not getting compensation in the amount promised by the government, while red shirt protesters who burned down parts of the capital did not have to go to jail, received Bt7.75 million in compensation and some got to become ministers.

"The protesters lost patience and had to come out to rally because they received only Bt250-Bt300 in compensation.

Disgusting, division-creating set of priorities by the Yingluck government. :bah:

To reward violence so lucratively in a poor ecomonmy is to prompt all other groups with an issue to follow the same path.

To do so at the expense of legitimate sufferers who never used violence is abhorrent.

• Like 2

Blocking roads...blocking airports...

I find it difficult to pick a side (given its the same turd)

Surely your purpose in life is to be filled with human secretions.

Moruya = filled with human secretions?

Interesting some villagers received only 3-400 baht in compensation, less that their daily fee for a rally !! There certainly is an unusual difference in payments - Our house with 25 cm of flooding got 10K baht but a friends house with only 10 cm got over 20K baht ! Surely their property losses amount to more than a few hundred baht..

Moruya is a sleepy little town on the east coast of Australia.

A Mamypoko is what it is!

Moruya is a sleepy little town on the east coast of Australia.

A Mamypoko is what it is!

My Man!

the three led villagers who were angry about not getting compensation in the amount promised by the government, while red shirt protesters who burned down parts of the capital did not have to go to jail, received Bt7.75 million in compensation and some got to become ministers.

"The protesters lost patience and had to come out to rally because they received only Bt250-Bt300 in compensation.

Disgusting, division-creating set of priorities by the Yingluck government. bah.gif

To reward violence so lucratively in a poor ecomonmy is to prompt all other groups with an issue to follow the same path.

To do so at the expense of legitimate sufferers who never used violence is abhorrent.

To reward violence in any type of economy is revolting

In fairness one should point out, that the Reds who got MPs' or Ministers' positions were not the same as the Reds who got 7.75 million Baht, as the latter were dead, whilst the former are only independent-thought-challenged. wink.png

I recommend anybody interested should look at the informal survey being conducted today in another on-line newspaper. The results so far exceeded my expectations.

I admit in advance that those taking the survey are both internet connected and able to read English, indicating they are more educated and possibly wealthier than most of the Thai population, which would also tend (IMHO) them to be biased in favour of the Democrats.

".... describing Panthongtae with the word "pitukart", meaning a son who kills his father."

If only it was literally true. Though for a number of reasons I won't go into, it is hard to imagine Panthongtae as a Thai version of Oedipus.

".... describing Panthongtae with the word "pitukart", meaning a son who kills his father."

If only it was literally true. Though for a number of reasons I won't go into, it is hard to imagine Panthongtae as a Thai version of Oedipus.

Interesting statement. I can only assume it was meant to antagonise the man in Dubai.

I recommend anybody interested should look at the informal survey being conducted today in another on-line newspaper. The results so far exceeded my expectations.

I admit in advance that those taking the survey are both internet connected and able to read English, indicating they are more educated and possibly wealthier than most of the Thai population, which would also tend (IMHO) them to be biased in favour of the Democrats.

As well they asked in Phitsanulok. Which is a bit unfair because there it already began. Not a question of believe

But ... but ...

Deputy Director General of Royal Irrigation Dept confident no mega flood this year if rainfall normal; dams can retain water, won't overflow /MCOT

Of course, there wouldn't have been a "mega flood" last year if the rainfall had been normal.

Interesting some villagers received only 3-400 baht in compensation, less that their daily fee for a rally !! There certainly is an unusual difference in payments - Our house with 25 cm of flooding got 10K baht but a friends house with only 10 cm got over 20K baht ! Surely their property losses amount to more than a few hundred baht..

My house in Muang Ake was completely flooded and we decided to come back to states. My landlord chose to keep my 45,000 baht deposit, because we obviously destroyed the house with our summoning of the flood If you could help me, did you yourself (falang) receive money from whoever paid out because you were renting a house or you owned it? Maybe to personal for you to answer, but I'd like to know if my asshol_e of a landlord will keep my deposit and probably get 20,00 baht on top?

Interesting statement. I can only assume it was meant to antagonise the man in Dubai.

I'll antogonize the man in Dubai. I'm going there nest month on business. If he'll see me I will look him in the eye and tell him what I think. In public though. The Prince of Dubai has already said no violence in Dubai or leave. So if I pay a price so will he.