Canadian Sisters Died Of 'Food Poisoning' In Thailand Hotel

Lite Beer

That's an interesting possibility that it was chemical poisoning in or around the room rather than food poisoning. Whatever the cause its sure that koh Pi Pi is fairly low on my list of idyllic Thai places to visit. Hope they shut the bungalow down and clean the place up

Already done. Not shut down but all neat and tidy, not long after they found the bodies. All washed down with chlorine, sprayed with room freshener, destroying any residual evidence if any, waiting for new arrivals, if you can believe the eyewitness accounts of someone staying next door, according to a source we can't mention, and which I personally have no reason to doubt.

Edited by sportsman69

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the american women, which died in 2009 did NOT drink any alcohol that night, but the americans as well as the norwegian girls noticed a strong chemical smell in the room (the americans and the girls stayed in room 4 and 5)...

Ryan, the american survivor, states:

Although Jill and Julie mysteriously died on May 3, 2009, air samples were not collected by the Office of Disease and Prevention until June 13, 2009, more than FIVE weeks later. The results of the air tests from rooms 2, 4 & 5 came back normal however room 6 showed results of extremely toxic levels of toluene, pyridine, methylchoride, and acetalene, which we understand to be lethal poisons. What caused room 6 to have such deadly levels of poisons in the air and where is it located in relation to rooms 4 and 5?
http://jillstonge.bl...0&max-results=2

about the norwegian autopsy

<link to forbidden site removed>

and also important info:

the owner of the laleena guesthouse, khun rat, stayed that fateful night with her family even closer to the wastewater canal than the guests...

The previous poisonings also happened in may...is there some routine chemical cleaning being carried out in resorts at this time? Certainly the current poisoning sounds like rat poison....so 'food poisoning' could be true if rat poison somehow made it into their meals.

Edited by metisdead

I admit I have never been to Phi Phi and have no idea what a "special" bucket is.

Half a bottle of Samsung mixed with Coke and Redbull served in a small plastic bucket. A cheap and efficient way of getting very drunk, very quickly,, just what the youngsters want.

Samsung...

My wife's got a Samsung Mini 5570. Will she die if she puts in her mouth instead of to her ear.

Sorry if humour is a little out of place here but I'm becoming more depressed as I go further, just need to lighten up a little

Sorry folks but I find it a more like a little bit disturbing that many people here trying to play investigator but NOT ONLY ONE respond to the

writing of eggshen from the last thread, where an EYE WITNESS of the last cases in Phe Phe wrote --- assuming is one thing, totally ignorance another...

I know its long but if you are not willing to read and instead spreading your phantasies......

My name is Ryan, I was Jill's fiancee. We were staying at a guesthouse called laleena. I have to think that Jill died of a poison substance. We got our room about 11 in the morning. It was our first room with A/C in about a month of traveling through Asia. So we decided to just hang out in the room all day and catch up on some needed sleep. I am not a great sleeper, Jill on the other hand was awesome she could sleep anytime, anywhere. Aroun 1 o clock I was antsy so I went to go use the internet. I was gone about an hour. I went back to the room hung out with Jill for about an hour. We were both hungry so I decided I would go get us some food, so we could enjoy the A/C. I was gone about 45 minutes. I came beack we ate our food and hung out for another hour or 2. We then decided to go out walking around. Jill started saying she wasnt feeling that well (probably the burger) but being the trooper she was, we stayed out for a few hours. Ate some dinner , watched the sunset. Around midnight Jill said she was still feeling ill. She wanted to go lie down, but told me to stay out for a bit, cause we were hanging out with some new friends. I went back to the room at about 2 am, to find jill in some real pain. She started vomiting not too long after. I layed down in bed with her to try to comfort her. Probably 2 hours later, I started feelin very ill. I started vomiting. feeling dizzy. This is when I realized Jill was not doing well at all. She started turning blue. I ran outside grabbed a utility cart, briught it back, picked Jill up and put her in it. I ran all the way to the hospital. They started doing CPR to no avail.

I found out later that there is a water treatment plant right behind the guesthouse. I feel that jill was poisoned by a chemical from that plant. She spent about 5 more hours in the room than I did. She was just breathing in the fumes for so long. The only reason I did not get deathly ill, is that I kept getting these short breaks from the air in the room.

The next day, a woman from Norway died right in the room next door, her traveling companion was admitted to the ICU. All thrree of them had the exact same symptoms. That seems like a hell of a coincidence. I just want people to know to be careful of the Laleena guesthouse. Whatever is there it killed 2 people and put one in intensive care, in 2 days. That doesnt sound like food poisoning, and I doubt two A/C units started pumping in gas on the same day. There has to be something in the air from that water treatment plant..

The previous poisonings also happened in may...is there some routine chemical cleaning being carried out in resorts at this time? Certainly the current poisoning sounds like rat poison....so 'food poisoning' could be true if rat poison somehow made it into their meals.

A lot of people tried to relate the two tragedies. Well, three including Chiang Mai. It seems by now that there are enough differences to rule out a link.

The Thai language news sources all say that the finger and toenails were สีเขียวคล้ำ which I think translates as dark green. So the reports in the English press of them being blue may be a mistranslation.

That's an interesting possibility that it was chemical poisoning in or around the room rather than food poisoning. Whatever the cause its sure that koh Pi Pi is fairly low on my list of idyllic Thai places to visit. Hope they shut the bungalow down and clean the place up

Already done. Not shut down but all neat and tidy, not long after they found the bodies. All washed down with chlorine, sprayed with room freshener, destroying any residual evidence if any, waiting for new arrivals, if you can believe the eyewitness accounts of someone staying next door, according to a source we can't mention, and which I personally have no reason to doubt.

I do believe we can mention the name of the source just not post direct links....

It helps no one to say "a source we can't mention" as none of us can use google to find that source and read for ourselves.

One thing that bothers me is two intelligent kids not at keast on them getting help. Perhaps if the took something and they were ashamed or embarrassed to come clean would be an explanation. Either that of the symptoms started out as food poising and then they got overwhelmed quickly while trying to wait it out.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (the 1970s) I got food poisoning. My first thought was to ask myself why did I feel so sick as I had not had all that much alcohol to drink. Shortly thereafter I thought, no, not too much drink rather someone had spiked something with some LSD (don't ask me how I might make such an assumption, but this was still the 1970s) as I was hallucinating. It took me hours to get out of bed, and only because the diarrehea was about to erupt so I literally crawled on the floor on all fours and luckily made it to the porcelain goddess in the nick of time. So yes, with poisoning, by the time that you realize just how bad the situation has become it may very well be too late to seek help yourself.

Sorry folks but I find it a more like a little bit disturbing that many people here trying to play investigator but NOT ONLY ONE respond to the

writing of eggshen from the last thread, where an EYE WITNESS of the last cases in Phe Phe wrote --- assuming is one thing, totally ignorance another...

I know its long but if you are not willing to read and instead spreading your phantasies......

My name is Ryan, I was Jill's fiancee. We were staying at a guesthouse called laleena. I have to think that Jill died of a poison substance. We got our room about 11 in the morning. It was our first room with A/C in about a month of traveling through Asia. So we decided to just hang out in the room all day and catch up on some needed sleep. I am not a great sleeper, Jill on the other hand was awesome she could sleep anytime, anywhere. Aroun 1 o clock I was antsy so I went to go use the internet. I was gone about an hour. I went back to the room hung out with Jill for about an hour. We were both hungry so I decided I would go get us some food, so we could enjoy the A/C. I was gone about 45 minutes. I came beack we ate our food and hung out for another hour or 2. We then decided to go out walking around. Jill started saying she wasnt feeling that well (probably the burger) but being the trooper she was, we stayed out for a few hours. Ate some dinner , watched the sunset. Around midnight Jill said she was still feeling ill. She wanted to go lie down, but told me to stay out for a bit, cause we were hanging out with some new friends. I went back to the room at about 2 am, to find jill in some real pain. She started vomiting not too long after. I layed down in bed with her to try to comfort her. Probably 2 hours later, I started feelin very ill. I started vomiting. feeling dizzy. This is when I realized Jill was not doing well at all. She started turning blue. I ran outside grabbed a utility cart, briught it back, picked Jill up and put her in it. I ran all the way to the hospital. They started doing CPR to no avail.

I found out later that there is a water treatment plant right behind the guesthouse. I feel that jill was poisoned by a chemical from that plant. She spent about 5 more hours in the room than I did. She was just breathing in the fumes for so long. The only reason I did not get deathly ill, is that I kept getting these short breaks from the air in the room.

The next day, a woman from Norway died right in the room next door, her traveling companion was admitted to the ICU. All thrree of them had the exact same symptoms. That seems like a hell of a coincidence. I just want people to know to be careful of the Laleena guesthouse. Whatever is there it killed 2 people and put one in intensive care, in 2 days. That doesnt sound like food poisoning, and I doubt two A/C units started pumping in gas on the same day. There has to be something in the air from that water treatment plant..

Thanks for posting that.

Amazing really....did anything ever come of this last incident ??

Has anyone suggested that it could be Shellfish poisoning? Where toxins produced by algae can build up and cause death to those who eat shellfish.

Symptoms sound possible.

https://en.wikipedia...lfish_poisoning

Certainly ASP

https://en.wikipedia...lfish_poisoning

or Cyanotoxin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotoxin

I remember cases of Phuket locals dying from consuming turtle.

For shellfish poisoning I suppose many more cases would likely occur. For consuming a bad turtle, maybe only one case is possible?

Who knows?

Yeah I think this has been already covered by the forums toxicology experts. Done and dusted.

I personally think we should wait until the Thai experts ( oxymoron ) come up with the results they think will please us best.

Sounds plausible in some aspects, but would not we expect to see many more overcome by these fumes. Why would fumes from a water plant only affect two rooms? With levels of something that high, it seem inhalation outside by the rooms would also lead to some symptoms. This sounds more like chemicals inside the room or some whacko targeting individuals for some reason.

Should be a fairly easy analysis if a plant emitting toxins unless no investigation into the possibility was made whatsoever.

"According to The Phuket News online edition, a physician who performed a preliminary examination, Dr Komkrit Phukrityakame said he believed the two were victims of food poisoning.

"The source could have been a meal which included blowfish or poisonous mushrooms," Krabi Hospital director Kromkit said".

"Officials said they found vomit in the room and there was haemorrhaging of the sisters' lips and gums. Their fingernails and toenails had turned blue".

I cannot find in the medical literature where blowfish are said to cause coagulation disorders that would cause bleeding gums.

Poisonous mushrooms if they contain something called involutin, can cause blood in the urine and renal failure, which renal (kidney) failure can cause bleeding gums. ("Mushrooms that contain involutin may cause a life-threatening immune-mediated hemolysis with hemoglobinuria and renal failure"). Medscape: Medscape Access

So it is possible poisonous mushrooms are the culprit.

If that is the case, then the question must be asked: 'how is it that poisonous mushrooms were served to ONLY these two women out of the thousands of tourists on Phi Phi that day?'

If they were deliberately poisoned, then our killer has gotten smarter as he is not using a man-made poison, but one which can appear to have been ingested 'accidentally'. user_invisible.gifreputation.gif report.gif edit.gif

Warfarin exposure does not cause spontaneous bleeding of the gums.

"More common findings of excessive anticoagulation are ecchymoses, subconjunctival hemorrhage, epistaxis, vaginal bleeding, bleeding gums, or hematuria". (Warfarin and Superwarfarin Toxicity Clinical Presention Author: Kent R Olson, MD, FACEP; Chief Editor: Asim Tarabar, MD

http://emedicine.med...-clinical#a0256

geriatrickid: Doh!!!!

Edited by guyinthailand

I fear for Guyinthailands blood pressure when he reads it

Don't worry bout my blood pressure (117/75). Worry about your Intelligence Quotient instead.

"More common findings of excessive anticoagulation are ecchymoses, subconjunctival hemorrhage, epistaxis, vaginal bleeding, bleeding gums, or hematuria". http://emedicine.med...-clinical#a0256

gentelmanJim: Doh!!!!

Edited by guyinthailand

Don't worry bout my blood pressure (117/75). Worry about your Intelligence Quotient instead.

"More common findings of excessive anticoagulation are ecchymoses, subconjunctival hemorrhage, epistaxis, vaginal bleeding, bleeding gums, or hematuria". http://emedicine.med...-clinical#a0256

Please! Let's not turn this sober and informative thread into a game of grabass. Have some consideration of the relatives who may happen upon it. TIA

All the speculation that is being made here on poisons, cause of death, motives are just that, pure speculation and give no real help or solace to anybody, least of all the grieving parents.

Not true. The speculation on this forum serves a useful purpose. The parents probably don't have a clue about the lying, face-saving, cover-up methods the Thais will employ to make these deaths appear 'natural' and 'excusable'. Family or friends of the family can read these posts and learn of the Thai penchant for cover-up, plus learn about the other 'mysterious' deaths on Phi Phi and Chiang Mai and thereby develop a healthy scepticism for whatever BS the Thais throw at them.

Edited by guyinthailand

geriatrickid: Doh!!!!

I don't think you have read all his post have you Guyinthailand. Too busy trying to get your PhD in wikiuser techniques.

How funny, or are you just being blatantly rude? You seem to suffer from some sort of obsessive disorder and an inability to consider anything that does not fit in to your concrete mindset. Now read Geratrickids post again and get back to us on bleeding gums.

"What bothers me in this story is that only the two sisters have been affected. They MUST have drank or eaten the same thing, and only them."

Exactly! Did no-one else (if it was food poisoning) visit that restaurant/bar that evening? They ate exactly the same thing?

Also, annoying how the media calls it "food poisoning", most people who read the statement "food poisoning" just think of someone having eating something a bit dodgy and spends a while on/in the toilet!

This is much more than your average "food poisoning". It killed two healthy young adults....."poisoned food" would be a more accurate headline (if that what it turns out to be).

• Like 1

brownish fingernails can be (for my googling) a result of mercury poisoning (causes bleeding gums, too)

dark green can be a bacteria http://en.wikipedia....onas_aeruginosa

but no source said, it kills quickly, rather is a slow poisoning, but might depend on the dose...

with arsenic poisoning, nails seem violet-blueish...

Edited by dingdang

All the speculation that is being made here on poisons, cause of death, motives are just that, pure speculation and give no real help or solace to anybody, least of all the grieving parents.

Not true. The speculation on this forum serves a useful purpose. The parents probably don't have a clue about the lying, face-saving, cover-up methods the Thais will employ to make these deaths appear 'natural' and 'excusable'. Family or friends of the family can read these posts and learn of the Thai penchant for cover-up, plus learn about the other 'mysterious' deaths on Phi Phi and Chiang Mai and thereby develop a healthy scepticism for whatever BS the Thais throw at them.

It is only useful when we can discuss and speculate, and every time you turn back up on thread nobody can do that! Here we go again for an other evening of you posting however many links you can to bleeding gums and warfarin and ignoring all the links that may argue against your obsessive theory.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

about the fumes from the wastewater plant...

the american survivor of the previous phi phi cases, ryan said later, that the guesthouse-owner stayed with her family even closer to the plant that night - without any fatalities...

he also said, that they noticed a strong chemical smell, when entering the room...

shouldnt they have noticed a strong chemical smell already outside the room?

ryan left the room several times... he didnt say, it smelled outside... it smelled in the room... for all i understand...

sorry, cant find the source again...

i do hard anyway, to remember a room where there was NOT a "strong chemical smell"...

cockroach poison and things are just necessary and applied on a daily basis, for all i know...

Edited by dingdang

"What bothers me in this story is that only the two sisters have been affected. They MUST have drank or eaten the same thing, and only them."

Exactly! Did no-one else (if it was food poisoning) visit that restaurant/bar that evening? They ate exactly the same thing?

Also, annoying how the media calls it "food poisoning", most people who read the statement "food poisoning" just think of someone having eating something a bit dodgy and spends a while on/in the toilet!

This is much more than your average "food poisoning". It killed two healthy young adults....."poisoned food" would be a more accurate headline (if that what it turns out to be).

IMO, "Poisoned food" implies food deliberately, recklessly, negligently or ignorantly poisoned by someone. Is that the suggestion? There is so far no evidence of human intervention, and it is not conclusive that the cause was food, drink, or other ingested matter. All this speculation is really going nowhere without firm evidence. And i fail to comprehend how browbeating others with one's pet theory is making the situation any better.

• Like 1

Sounds plausible in some aspects, but would not we expect to see many more overcome by these fumes. Why would fumes from a water plant only affect two rooms? With levels of something that high, it seem inhalation outside by the rooms would also lead to some symptoms. This sounds more like chemicals inside the room or some whacko targeting individuals for some reason.

Should be a fairly easy analysis if a plant emitting toxins unless no investigation into the possibility was made whatsoever.

What if the aircon compressor inlets were directly near the source ??.....sucking it in and directly into the room....usually when 2 rooms or bungalows are beside each other, they place the compressors together.

I do believe we can mention the name of the source just not post direct links....

It helps no one to say "a source we can't mention" as none of us can use google to find that source and read for ourselves.

Ok Jayman.

I'll give it a try owing to the fact that your avatar states you are a doctor and can be trusted together with the fact that you have over 1,200 more posts and thus more experience with posting than I.

Moderators, please forgive me if I have sinned, a simple removal of this post will be sufficient warning.

The online name of the link we cannot mention is Phuket Wan and the egotistical editors name is............., you have enough clues to look it up.

• Like 1

Arsenic is a major compound in many many brands of rat poison and is also manufactured in a liquid or powdered form that is absorbed through the skin rapidly and is 60 times more toxic than ordinary elemental 'Arsenic'.

aresenic doesn't cause bleeding gums.

http://www.healthhype.com/coughing-and-spitting-up-blood-or-bloody-mucus.html

Bleeding from the Mouth and Throat

Bleeding from the mouth may be due to:

• Injuries: teeth brushing, biting the tongue, tooth extraction, rough food, foreign objects, etc.
  • Dry mouth
  • Mouth sores
  • Periodontosis, an infection of gums with detached gums and loose teeth; the main cause is poor mouth hygiene.
  • Oral cancer, appearing anywhere in the mouth as a small red or white spot that can bleed; heavy drinkers and smokers are at most risk.
  • Infections: Herpes simplex virus, shingles, measles, oral thrush (candida yeast infection)
  • Ingestion of corrosive fluids, like acids or petrol, may cause severe damage and bleeding from the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach mucosa.
  • Lead, arsenic or mercury poisoning may cause bleeding gums.

what is a bit strange, too, is that it must have smelled badly in the room...

and they didnt open the sliding doors?

phuket wan has pictures... from the bed to the sliding doors its approx 50cm.

it looks like a terrace, in front of it...

Edited by dingdang

What if the aircon compressor inlets were directly near the source ??.....sucking it in and directly into the room....usually when 2 rooms or bungalows are beside each other, they place the compressors together.

Pretty sure that aircon units recirculate the air in the room and not pull air from outside. I could be wrong on that.

I don't think you have read all his post have you Guyinthailand.

I read this

and then I read your blind support of his 'warfarin doesn't cause bleeding gums' notion.

and then I read this "More common findings of excessive anticoagulation are ecchymoses, subconjunctival hemorrhage, epistaxis, vaginal bleeding, bleeding gums, or hematuria". http://emedicine.med...-clinical#a0256

What more is there to read?

Again, going to my own case of food poisoning ( a generic term describing a continuum of sypmtoms) 40 years ago, I was working in a location with a communal kitchen and out of the 200 people who dined that evening there were only four reported cases of severe intestinal distress and I was the only person who required some minor medical assisstance to see me through it.

Edited by Johpa