PM Yingluck Confident Tourism Income Will Reach Bt2 Trillion Within 5 Years

webfact

PM confident tourism income will reach Bt2 trillion within 5 years

image_20120617173927FA06A01B-BF60-683A-BB13BD49FABD09B2.jpg

CHON BURI, June 18 - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on Sunday that she was confident that tourism income will increase to Bt2 trillion as targeted while chairing a workshop on driving tourism policies in this eastern province.

Ms Yingluck explained that the government was not only focused on generating tourism income but also on developing tourism sustainably for the long run. The government targets for country to earn income of two trillion baht from tourism within five years. The prime minister said she was confident that the government could achieve this goal.

The tourism strategies should be adjusted to focus on cultural and ecotourism, the prime minister suggested, adding that the government was ready to support the private tourism sector in all aspects. If all parties jointly mapped out tourism strategies to boost tourism quality, it would help attract a large number of tourists.

In a related development, Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome told journalists that the ministry will promote 84 cultural routes to stimulate tourism.

The workshop held in Chon Buri was attended by relevant government and private sectors as well as Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubumrung, Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome, Prime Minister's Office Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan and Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-18

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so she expects it will well over double in that timeframe from the current 770 billion?

:ermm:

well they could always pick up an extra trillion by redeploying Plan D

Elite Card, launched in 2003, promised fast-track immigration, discounts at resorts and golf courses and other perks. With members paying 1 million baht for a lifetime membership - prices later rose to 1.5 million - the goal was to attract a million subscribers in five years for revenue of 1 trillion baht.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Earlier she said four years...

that was to go along with huge jump to 30 million visitors from the current level of 19 million.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who presented her government's tourism policies to the Cabinet, hopes to boost total visitors to 30 million per year in the next four years.

The new government is also hoping to boost tourism income to Bt2 Trillion per year by 2016.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4657523

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

It would go a L O N G way to improving tourism if they would actually do something about all the corruption and scams that tourists face EVERY day. The blatant corruption and scams tend to leave a very bitter taste in the mouths of most tourists. And guess what... when those tourists go home they bad mouth Thailand. And now that most everyone has the internet, those scams and corrupt practices do not remain hidden any longer.

If Burma is actually able to rise out of the ashes, then Burma is going to represent a very real threat to the future economic development (manufacturing as well as tourism) of Thailand.

Time to take the blinders off. Reap what you sow Thailand.

• Like 1

If they are going to focus on China, India and Russia then I can see the target being achieved, but at the expense of many Western tourists who will be looking to other areas.

They will focus on cultural and ecotourism. Mass ecotourism is surely an oxymoron. An effective doubling of tourist numbers will mean more spoilt areas and of course more unscrupulous characters after the tourist yuan/rupee/rubel!

• Like 1

Looks like Yingluck will be able to afford that new private A380 doubledecker with onboard pool after all.

ermm.gif

Have I missed something - is Yingluck really going to buy a new private A380 doubledecker with onboard pool? 'Cos they cost a lot of money, about $375 million dollars plus the cost of the pool of course. I suppose that's just pocket change to the shiniwatras, her bruv having run of with 30% of the Thai nations money (so I heard on here). Perhaps she could buy Don Meung at the same time so she has somewhere to park it. Makes it so much easier when she's off to buy some burberry wellies, not that she'll need them cos she promised the Thais it wont rain, innit.

I found all this out from a "source", well "sources" really, there's this great little forum where you can lern ever so much.....................

Edited by phiphidon
  • Like 1

Efforts to Push for a Rise in Thailand’s Tourism Revenue

BANGKOK, 18 June 2012 (NNT) - All relevant agencies have been instructed to set up committees to step up efforts to achieve the Government’s target of generating Thailand’s tourism revenue of two trillion baht within the next five years.

The instruction was given by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at a workshop on tourism, held at the Royal Cliff Grand Hotel in Pattaya, Chon Buri, on 17 June 2012, prior to the mobile Cabinet meeting, scheduled for 18-19 June.

The committees will be responsible for pushing for the implementation of the Government’s tourism strategies to achieve the target. They will report their operations to Minister to the Prime Minister’s Office Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan on 2 July 2012.

The Prime Minister called for the improvement of tourism websites to provide accurate and useful information for tourists. She believed that the success in the tourism business would lead to not only more tourism income but also the good reputation of the country, thus contributing to the development of the country in other areas.

The workshop also discussed various urgent issues, such as tourism safety, the revision of rules and regulations in immigration procedures, and the development of transportation routes.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-18 footer_n.gif

We'll all be rich, but it will take a bit longer than 6 months it seems.

Do her statements allow for her possibly starting a civil war in an attempt to whitewash her brother, or will that be another "cultural attraction"?

Earlier she said four years...

that was to go along with huge jump to 30 million visitors from the current level of 19 million.

But, but, 30 million, that's a quarter of the world population.

blink.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560031-oops-yingluck-suu-kyi-world-economic-forum-et-al-opinion/#entry5359105

And the exaggeration was intentional ;)

so she expects it will well over double in that timeframe from the current 770 billion?

I highly doubt she is talking about International Tourism only. Tourism Revenue yearly already exceeds a trillion. Few people consider that Domestic tourism revenue is not far behind International tourist revenue .. typically around 70%.

A near threefold rise in tourism revenue in five years and all this in a time of the biggest international financial crisis in years and the ever present threat of civil unrest in the country.

I don't know who comes up with these inflated figures.... maybe the same guy who estimates red shirt numbers..... but short of a world economic turn round of biblical proportions and her brother actually making good on one promise, the one to stay out of politics, I think her prediction is as likely to come true as your average Thai fortune teller's.

Just to add to my previous post, Thailand has eased visa restrictions on the Chinese market, and TaT is making a big effort to woo the Chinese.

There are a million millionaires in Shanghai alone, there are over 100,000 multi millionaires. Anybody that's been to Hong Kong recently will tell you that the amount of money being spent by mainland Chinese visitors is astounding.

These guys will show up in Thailand and go through a daily spend that would shock you, and they won't blink an eye. These guys are the future, farangs propping up bars on a daily budget of 2000 baht will be insignificant.

The reason why we can't see it is that we don't tend to frequent the places they do, I was at a resort in Chiang Mai where the basic daily rate was 18000 baht, it was fully booked for weeks.

There's a whole other world out there.

• Like 1

A near threefold rise in tourism revenue in five years and all this in a time of the biggest international financial crisis in years and the ever present threat of civil unrest in the country.

I don't know who comes up with these inflated figures.... maybe the same guy who estimates red shirt numbers..... but short of a world economic turn round of biblical proportions and her brother actually making good on one promise, the one to stay out of politics, I think her prediction is as likely to come true as your average Thai fortune teller's.

Although her number surely seem very aggressive, consider there was an increase of 20% international visitors last year despite the things you mention as well as well publicized flooding during the 4th quarter.

Once again a Western centric view, the Asian economies have been roaring along these last few years. Western tourism numbers have held up well too. Have you not read the threads about Swampy busting at the seams?

What was it? 44 million arrivals last year? Or was it more than that? That doesn't take into account the international flights into all the other airports, and people pouring over the land borders.

Anybody noticed a massive surge in Russian tourism? The evidence is in front of your eyes, it's undeniable the numbers pouring in are massive.

I have no doubt that the TAT will report what every figures are desired by whoever happens to be in power 5 years from now. If the PM wants 2 trillion baht, that's what TAT will report. If numbers of tourists don't increase enough, all they have to do is bump up the the daily spending 'estimates' enough and you can reach any fictional number you want.

ermm.gif

well they could always pick up an extra trillion by redeploying Plan D

Elite Card, launched in 2003, promised fast-track immigration, discounts at resorts and golf courses and other perks. With members paying 1 million baht for a lifetime membership - prices later rose to 1.5 million - the goal was to attract a million subscribers in five years for revenue of 1 trillion baht.

But your forgetting the clear plan to run the economy into the ground so the Baht will be back up over 40 to the dollar. 2 trillion might not be that ambitious after all.whistling.gif

Not if there are suspect deaths in hotels , rip offs by tuk tuk drivers and jet ski morons. I am waiting to see what happens with Burma in 5 years time I see that as the place to retire to or visit. Thailand is falling back year by year because of the discontent between the colour of shirt one supports !!!!!!

Well, I am still desperately looking for a waitress/waiter as well as one cook helper and one pizzaiolo. Qualification for service is English and not looking like Huntchback of Notredame; the kitchen staff needs to be willing to learn. Far above the THB 300 a day and I cannot find staff. So Yinglucks trillion dreams will grind to a screeching halt as nobody wants to work in this country anymore 8-)