Thaksin Billionaire Before Entering Politics: Noppadon

webfact

Thaksin a billionaire before entering politics: Noppadon

The Nation

30184455-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was already a billionaire with a net worth of more than Bt60 billion before beginning his career in public service, his legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said on Tuesday.

"Thaksin was already rich before entering politics," he said, rebutting an allegation about ill-gotten gains raised by the Democrats.

Noppadon said the opposition Democrat Party had no justification for saying Thaksin had abused office to enrich himself.

As of October, 1994, before assuming office as the foreign minister, Thaksin had 69.5 billion shares worth Bt51 billion. If counting other assets, his net worth was some Bt60 billion.

At the time, there was no requirement for an office holder to file the asset statement. But Thaksin voluntarily declared his net worth to the Palang Dharma Party.

In 1997, the year in which the law on asset declaration came into effect, Thaksin had the same amount of equity stakes although the market value dropped to about Bt23.8 billion. This reflected the price fluctuation in the stock market and was not an attempt to conceal his assets as alleged by the Democrats.

Thaksin's net worth changed in accordance with the stock price movement and had no connection to the office held.

Before Thaksin became prime minister in 2001, he was obliged to comply with the anti-graft law prescribing a cap on equity stakes for office holders.

He opted to transfer the shares to his three adult children and had no intent of using them as nominees in order to hold on to his shares.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-19

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, there could be four potential perjury cases related to official asset declarations of public office holders and their spouses.

Records of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) show the asset declarations of Thaksin and his then-wife Pojaman na Pombejra back in 2001 were 569 million baht and 9.96 billion baht, respectively.

However, Pojaman, in her recent closing statement in the 76-billion-baht assets-seizure case, told the Supreme Court that 34 billion baht of the 76 billion baht belonged to her even though she reported her assets amounted to only 9.96 billion baht in February 2001, when Thaksin first assumed the premiership.

Besides the 2001 declaration, Pojaman reported to the NACC in 2005 that her assets had dropped to 8.91 billion baht and those of Thaksin to 506 million baht.

http://www.asiaone.c...228-201380.html

"I had 86 billion baht worth of assets before I entered politics, but they stole 46 billion from me,"

Thaksin Shinawatra

Edited by lannarebirth

Meanwhile, there could be four potential perjury cases related to official asset declarations of public office holders and their spouses.

Records of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) show the asset declarations of Thaksin and his then-wife Pojaman na Pombejra back in 2001 were 569 million baht and 9.96 billion baht, respectively.

However, Pojaman, in her recent closing statement in the 76-billion-baht assets-seizure case, told the Supreme Court that 34 billion baht of the 76 billion baht belonged to her even though she reported her assets amounted to only 9.96 billion baht in February 2001, when Thaksin first assumed the premiership.

Besides the 2001 declaration, Pojaman reported to the NACC in 2005 that her assets had dropped to 8.91 billion baht and those of Thaksin to 506 million baht.

"I had 86 billion baht worth of assets before I entered politics, but they stole 46 billion from me,"

Thaksin Shinawatra

Is there anything to be trusted from this guy? Or from any politician for that matter?

• Like 1

Those are fake photo of Thaksin & Nelson.

Nelson was found by the court to be a very very bad terrorist black man, and legally put in jail by his country judges for a along long time, until he behaves himself.

He (Nelson) did turn into a good man, hence S.A. release him from prison.

Thaksin should do the same; go to jail, until he behaves.

• Like 2

Thaksin Shinawatra

He may have been a billionaire, but he became multi billionaire and his family and friends also got very rich after he got to power

Thaksin Shinawatra

He may have been a billionaire, but he became multi billionaire and his family and friends also got very rich after he got to power

Well yes, but the point is that he is either telling porkies now, or his asset declaration was a complete fabrication.

Which statement is he going to run with?

[

Thaksin Shinawatra

Well yes, but the point is that he is either telling porkies now, or his asset declaration was a complete fabrication.

Which statement is he going to run with?

And how much did that football team cost anyway?

Thaksin Shinawatra

Is there anything to be trusted from this guy? Or from any politician for that matter?

See how even his and his own lawyer's numbers don't match up.... And neither come close to matching what he swore to in 2001... :bah:

Quote:

"I had 86 billion baht worth of assets before I entered politics, but they stole 46 billion from me," Thaksin said.

Unquote.

Really? ermm.gif That's not what he said before. dry.png Not even remotely close. bah.gif

Thaksin is either lying now or he lied in 2001.

Quote:

the asset declarations of Thaksin and his then-wife Pojaman back in 2001 were Bt569 million and Bt9.96 billion, respectively.

http://www.thaivisa....s/#entry3372545

Edited by Buchholz

They should haul Noppadon into court and strip him of his lawyer status. He can work for Amsterdam's team of the dubiously qualified

Why?

Come on, keep up, if someone is working for Thaksin, no matter how qualified or how legal their actions are, they should be hung, drawn and quartered.

(Disclaimer: not my opinion, I reached maturity years ago)

Edited by carra
  • Like 2

They should haul Noppadon into court and strip him of his lawyer status. He can work for Amsterdam's team of the dubiously qualified

Why?

Why not?

Excellent well thought argument you have put together there, truly a great Advocate.

He was listed in Forbes as a USD Billionaire before he became PM. In the top 3 in Thailand I recall.

In the late 80s he was selling radio and pagers and doing telecommunications deals all over SE Asia.

In the early 90s, it was very difficult and very expensive to get a phone line to your home in many places.

Thaksin was there when cell phones took off.

Around 1994 he launched SatCom 1 and was building skyscrapers in Bangkok.

He bacame a telecommunications tycoon.

I believe he had 60 companies going.

Didn't he produce multi Billion surpluses when in office?

He may be corrupt (who isn't in Thailand?) but he is a smart guy that can run big operations.

I think he was railroaded by the Army thugs and high level scoundrels that really run the show around here. There futures looked dim with a task master/CEO as PM.

This gang espouses Democracy to grab the cash from the USA but roll out the tanks when they don't like electoral results. Scammers.

Edited by pauljones
  • Like 2

Imagine the nerve of a lawyer advocating for the client. Where will it end?

Imagine the nerve of a lawyer making claims in direct conflict with statements his own client made under oath. Is that what you call advocating?

Among other things...most certainly 'yes'

Why?

Why not?

Excellent well thought argument you have put together there, truly a great Advocate.

I am not an advocate, and would not care to become one,

I really appreciate your compliment, although your pronunciation is slightly affected by your tongue being on your cheek

wink.png

• Like 1

Why?

Because either he or Thaksin is being dishonest about Thaksin's assets and the truth should out.

Why?

Come on, keep up, if someone is working for Thaksin, no matter how qualified or how legal their actions are, they should be hung, drawn and quartered.

(Disclaimer: not my opinion, I reached maturity years ago)

We can all see that

He was listed in Forbes as a USD Billionaire before he became PM. In the top 3 in Thailand I recall.

In the late 80s he was selling radio and pagers and doing telecommunications deals all over SE Asia.

In the early 90s, it was very difficult and very expensive to get a phone line to your home in many places.

Thaksin was there when cell phones took off.

Around 1994 he launched SatCom 1 and was building skyscrapers in Bangkok.

He bacame a telecommunications tycoon.

I believe he had 60 companies going.

Didn't he produce multi Billion surpluses when in office?

He may be corrupt (who isn't in Thailand?) but he is a smart guy that can run big operations.

I think he was railroaded by the Army thugs and high level scoundrels that really run the show around here. There futures looked dim with a task master/CEO as PM.

This gang espouses Democracy to grab the cash from the USA but roll out the tanks when they don't like electoral results. Scammers.

And his pooh smells of wild orchids

Imagine the nerve of a lawyer advocating for the client. Where will it end?

Imagine the nerve of a lawyer making claims in direct conflict with statements his own client made under oath. Is that what you call advocating?

Among other things...most certainly 'yes'

With prawns?

Thaksin Shinawatra

Around 2000 he lost a ton in the dot com crash.

I did read his personal stock market gains were in line with the SET Index while in office.

In 2003 the Thai Market gained 103%. That might explain his capital gains?

There is a whole lot of disinformation coming from The Nation all these years.

The FOX news of Thailand only worse. Much worse.

His gardener and maid must surely get a mention in Forbes too

• Like 2