Deputy Pm Demands Urgent Action On Pattaya Jet Ski Scams And Bar Opening Hours

Rimmer

They want the bars on walking street, beach road etc. closed early so that the hoards of people looking to party all night are forced to head to third road - to all the police owned establishments that stay open till dawn!!

They close at dawn in your neighborhood? Lucky guy.

Thankfully that is NOT my neighborhood !

I saw the US Ambassador speaking about the jet skis. She was pissed and went personally to the police chief in Phuket and laid it out. I bet Chalerm got an earful too.

If the US Ambassador has to put that on her schedule there IS a problem.

She may well have spoken about it, unfortunately the problem is as big and ugly as ever.

Has no one thought of the tourists? Friends of mine have stopped coming to Thailand in favour of Cambodia and Vietnam. They got tired of being kicked out at only 2 in the morning and having to drink alcohol from tea cups.

The whole reason for Pattaya's existence is tourism (sex). I haven't been down for a while though so it may have changed.

Actually now Chiang Mai is where all the late night sleeze action is. They just re elected the mayor in Pattaya and construction interests are building 100,000 more hotel and condo rooms this year. I feel your pain man. 2AM who wants to stop drinking then, the night is young. Chiang Mai is the place now.

It's interesting who they are catering too also. Someone just built a "hostel" on Loi Kroh Road in CM and I've seen at least two others of similar design around the tourist areas by the Moat. 99 baht per / night. Looks like they are ramping up for the backpacker crowd.

Edited by connda

Has no one thought of the tourists? Friends of mine have stopped coming to Thailand in favour of Cambodia and Vietnam. They got tired of being kicked out at only 2 in the morning and having to drink alcohol from tea cups.

The whole reason for Pattaya's existence is tourism (sex). I haven't been down for a while though so it may have changed.

Nope still a shithole

A fun shithole.

Actually now Chiang Mai is where all the late night sleeze action is. They just re elected the mayor in Pattaya and construction interests are building 100,000 more hotel and condo rooms this year. I feel your pain man. 2AM who wants to stop drinking then, the night is young. Chiang Mai is the place now.

Chiang Mai the place now ? Maybe if you are retired

Whenever anyone I know is coming to Thailand I warn them against the Jet Ski scams. There are others too, like the strip club scams "welcome tip", "sit down tip", "order drink tip", "waitress tip", "DJ tip", "performer tip", "you my friend tip", and "goodbye tip". I'm sure most of you know the other scams that are out there.

• Like 1

Just more words from a Thai politician hoping tomorrow everybody has forgotten what he said today.

The only way to deal with this is action, not words, when will the people of Thailand actually elect a politician with balls who will grab the bull by the horns rather than stand on a soap box in the next field shouting obscenity's at the bull?

Do not think the chief of police will be loosing any sleep over what was said...

Business as usual...

thumbsup.gif I have been coming to Thailand for many years, and I can remember back around 1978 or so...when all the bars in Bangkok had to close before 2 a.m. Many bars in the tourist areas actully shut at 1 a.m. to let the girls have time to leave...then Patpong was a hot area for tourists and "hostess" bars, and much of Patpong then closed between 1 a.m. and 2 a.m.

There were certain hotels that were allowed to keep "nightclubs" open in them for "tourists".

After about 1 a.m. or so in theory they were closed....but a guest in that hotel were allowed to visit these nightclubs.

There was supposedly a curfew on the streets also and some Thai bargirls were actually arrested by the police for breaking curfew.

What happened in practice was that the bargirls usually came to those tourist hotels just after they left their bars and spent the night at these tourist "nightclubs".

A bargirl offering a discount for a male guest staying in that hotel with an available bed after 2 a.m. was something not unknown to occur...and sometimes she also had a "girl friend needing a place to sleep for the night".

Of course, I was 30 + years younger then.

Did I take advantage of that?

Of course I did.

biggrin.png

clap2.gifclap2.gifbiggrin.png

the bars do close at 2am but they stay open with little lights and no music.plus a few others round the corner.but they don,t cause offence as it is in the tourist bar zone.the police get they tea money and are happy with the way it is.but maybe someone is not and having a share of the tea money

Maybe they are not happy with the amount they are getting these days, prices are going up!

No No NO, say it ain't so, please tell me it can't be......................Chalerm has actually said something that makes sense!! It's logical, it's possible, it's sensible. It can't be the same guy, it's a doppleganger, it can't be him, it just can't be. Call the reality inspectors, because this ain't the PT DP i know.

Are we being invaded with bodysnatchers.....

Just more words from a Thai politician hoping tomorrow everybody has forgotten what he said today.

The only way to deal with this is action, not words, when will the people of Thailand actually elect a politician with balls who will grab the bull by the horns rather than stand on a soap box in the next field shouting obscenity's at the bull?

Do not think the chief of police will be loosing any sleep over what was said...

Im gonna go out on a limb saying this, but PERHAPS there are some decent politicians that actually do care about the country who by the power of the wealthy have their testicles removed

(disclaimer) I just woke up w00t.gif

Where? do you hear cracking sounds.....

Nope still a shithole

clap2.giflaugh.pngbiggrin.png

You hit the nail right on the head. In order to distract attention from his own scandal, he starts this diversionary crusade.

The jet skis, the jet skis. Wouldn't have done bupkis if his own hide wasn't on the line.

The Police Force is so out of control that enforcing the law is now a diversionary tactic.

Only in Thailand.

Now that is funny.... I can only imagine that since the jet ski scam is the national embarrassment of Thailand, and yet it continues, that a serious amount of money must be paid to the police to allow it to continue. Or the police are actually running the scam which makes more sense. The government has spent years talking about it and yet done nothing about it. The simple solution is to ban them... Would have the added benefit of cutting down tourist deaths as well, since every year a few tourist seem to get run over..

Cannot even imagine why the criminal based jet ski scam got lumped in with bar closing hours.

<deleted> ????? I am always entertained when this subject comes up. The Thai clubs are rocking away all night, but then some hypocritical politician jumps up and says the farangs must go to sleep early so they can visit temples in the morning.

I did like the approach of Patong bars a few years ago. When some local politician kept trying to cut back hours to enhance his moral stance, all the bars got together and closed down for the entire night. The tourists screamed bloody murder, the government buckled like a house of cards, and the issue was never brought up again. Maybe Pattaya bars need to do the same thing.....

Walking street close for a night....Wow...

Vietnam is just the bestrolleyes.gif , a friend of mine was kidnapped and extorted for 1 week and then set up to have an accident in which he was suppose to die(but luckly managed to jump off the bike in time to save his life)

Interesting how different FRIENDS have different experienceswhistling.gif

As for commenting on places where you have not been FOR A WHILE,,perhaps its wiser not to comment

It is rather odd, init? Thailand does all it can do to attract tourists and tourism represents a significant part of their economy, but once the tourists arrive it appears they do everything in their power to prevent the tourists from returning with all the scams taking place. It is as if the Thais believe there is a never ending supply of farangs willing to come to Thailand for holiday. In this day and age, it doesn't take but one bad experience for a tourist to decide to travel elsewhere to spend their hard-earned. Someplace without laws or jet ski scum that impinge on their their holiday.

Many of the victims of the jet ski scum these days are non-westerners. It won't take long before the current crop of tourists pass the word in their home countries about the nonsense that takes place in Thailand and go elsewhere for holiday.

The only card Pattaya has to play for repeat tourists is the sex industry, which ain't as cheap as it used to be and the experience has gone down the toilet also. Who wants to pay western prices for an overweight Thai bar girl with a bad attitude? No need to travel 12 time zones to get the same experience that I can get at home.

It is rather odd, init? Thailand does all it can do to attract tourists and tourism represents a significant part of their economy, but once the tourists arrive it appears they do everything in their power to prevent the tourists from returning with all the scams taking place. It is as if the Thais believe there is a never ending supply of farangs willing to come to Thailand for holiday. In this day and age, it doesn't take but one bad experience for a tourist to decide to travel elsewhere to spend their hard-earned. Someplace without laws or jet ski scum that impinge on their their holiday.

Many of the victims of the jet ski scum these days are non-westerners. It won't take long before the current crop of tourists pass the word in their home countries about the nonsense that takes place in Thailand and go elsewhere for holiday.

The only card Pattaya has to play for repeat tourists is the sex industry, which ain't as cheap as it used to be and the experience has gone down the toilet also. Who wants to pay western prices for an overweight Thai bar girl with a bad attitude? No need to travel 12 time zones to get the same experience that I can get at home.

Why would anyone bar fine a "overweight Thai bar girl with a bad attitude", unless he enjoyed that type of lady.

The money is in the Chinese and Indian tour groups and they don't use jet skis. The operators know better than to try and scam the Russians. So it's business as usual. The Thais have been scamming the Saudis for years and everyone knows about from top to bottom and nothing has been done for what? 20 years. If you can steal from and injure the Saudi Royal family what are a few low class tourists. You know better Keyser they really don't give a crap.

• Like 1

Why would anyone bar fine a "overweight Thai bar girl with a bad attitude", unless he enjoyed that type of lady.

My point was the when I first started traveling to Thailand many years ago, it was unusual to find an overweight Thai girl working in the bars. Along with the attitude and prices of what was on offer. Today it is a much different story with the weight of the girls going up as their attitude declines. Fewer choices for the discerning punter than in the past.

The money is in the Chinese and Indian tour groups and they don't use jet skis. The operators know better than to try and scam the Russians. So it's business as usual. The Thais have been scamming the Saudis for years and everyone knows about from top to bottom and nothing has been done for what? 20 years. If you can steal from and injure the Saudi Royal family what are a few low class tourists. You know better Keyser they really don't give a crap.

I know they don't give a crap. That was my point. They think that as long as the big silver bird lands in Thailand, there will be a never ending flow of tourists to scam. One day karma will catch up with them. Always does.

It's a reflection on the mentality of this man that he can equate late night entertainment with the violent, criminal jet ski scams in terms of criminality. I've been coming to Thailand for twenty years and there has rarely been a period when the late night bars have been left in peace to get on with their business. What is it about Thai politicians that they are so obsessed with other people enjoying themselves and the hours when they choose to do it?

Actually!!!..........there was a nightclub called Spicy in CM that was rumoured to be police owned. It was a real rough and tumble place, the last haunt for the bar girls trying to get a lift for the night, and open till 6.00am. Fights were common and the place was often packed out. It was closed down by the Military Police, they came in right over the shoulders of the local police and put an end to it.

The original Spicey is still closed down, a new one opened round the corner but it's far more strictly operated.

Maybe that's what's required in Pattaya, Military police involvement. If they put their mind to it they could solve this problem in a few short days.

Truth is in the Pudding - when the land owner refused to extend the leases on the bars on Sukumvit (near Tong Lor train station?? forget, after years of back & forth

negotiation or non-dialogue, the Thai Army bulldozed them all down, it is now a nice quiet drinking area with a few good restaurants about, so in Thailand when Shi'ite happens, it is

usually for the good (for whom I haven't a clue, but I know what it looks like now, nothing like the sleaze bucket it was before) and I knew a few American bar owners there, too bad

for them, but the place was in fact illegal in the eyes of the Law. Man o Man, if this happens in Pattaya, I'd love a front row seat, a dozen Thai Army Bulldozers on both sides of the Walking

Street akin them out left & right - I think TV should have the exclusive rights to sell tickets......... I then could die in peace...........Naaaah!!!thumbsup.gif

My point was the when I first started traveling to Thailand many years ago, it was unusual to find an overweight Thai girl working in the bars. Along with the attitude and prices of what was on offer. Today it is a much different story with the weight of the girls going up as their attitude declines. Fewer choices for the discerning punter than in the past.

I have been coming to Thailand since 1971 - and even at 57-60KGS I always outweighed the ladies, what bars have you been going to??? Guys......please introduce this man to Pattaya please, please he is disillusioned or a ph34r.png troll...............

I do agree on the jet ski scam to be sorted out but for the people who run bars in Pattaya they are only trying to make a living in these already tough times and i don't think they should be in the same category .. Also you need to think about tourism demand without bars being open for tourism they will just leave LOS to somewhere else who can cater for them this is just my honest opinion..

If they really wanted to, then they would break a few Rice Bowls and outlaw them in Pattaya, there are plenty of places in Chon Buri that could be designated Jet Ski Beaches - or sod what they mandated in 1990 and moved all the para sails out on barges in the middle of the sea - then it would be the Jet Ski Operators responsibility (to charge)a ferry them out to the Jet Ski Area - the beach would be a quiet place to hang out, and the Adrenelin Junkies would have a place out in the middle of the Bay to play.......Win Win Win Win dam_n, I think I'll run for Pattaya Farang Ombudsman if that position exists.........whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

I do agree on the jet ski scam to be sorted out but for the people who run bars in Pattaya they are only trying to make a living in these already tough times and i don't think they should be in the same category .. Also you need to think about tourism demand without bars being open for tourism they will just leave LOS to somewhere else who can cater for them this is just my honest opinion..

If they really wanted to, then they would break a few Rice Bowls and outlaw them in Pattaya, there are plenty of places in Chon Buri that could be designated Jet Ski Beaches - or sod what they mandated in 1990 and moved all the para sails out on barges in the middle of the sea - then it would be the Jet Ski Operators responsibility (to charge)a ferry them out to the Jet Ski Area - the beach would be a quiet place to hang out, and the Adrenelin Junkies would have a place out in the middle of the Bay to play.......Win Win Win Win dam_n, I think I'll run for Pattaya Farang Ombudsman if that position exists.........whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

And the scammers can intimidate the tourists out at sea where it won't be documented & affect Thailand image....