A Vehicle That Actually Has Suspension.

For comfort in the price range

SUV best all rounder is the 2012 Hyundai Tucson cost here 1.3 million, the next best in class is the 1.6 million Subaru Forester is bigger than the Tuscun both are way above the Fortuner and CRV..........

Both Ford maybe will carry on the name Escape and Mazda CX5 will be a new model early next year also Subaru XV imported from Malaysia all around 1 million... [Myself waiting to see these + the All new Chevy Trax so say early 2013]

The old saying in France was you build the cars for the road, not the roads for the cars........ comfort was out of this world, have own a DS19, 20, 21 and 23 as well as many other smaller models, as well as Renault's. No idea what the set up is with the 308.. 1.6 million here........ The 508 is new this year but well over the budget, as is the bigger Citroen over 3x the budget.

Edited by ignis

Have a look at the Trailblazer thread this is the pickup based SUV with the most advanced suspension available at the moment.

The new Toyota Truck has DIAMOND suspension, beat that. whistling.gif ...........laugh.png

transam,if you were the owner of the new Isuzu...or Mazda...or Ranger...and your daughter just bought the Trailblazer...how would this change the contest of your post...just wander wink.png ...laugh.png

Have a look at the Trailblazer thread this is the pickup based SUV with the most advanced suspension available at the moment.

The new Toyota Truck has DIAMOND suspension, beat that. whistling.gif ...........laugh.png

transam,if you were the owner of the new Isuzu...or Mazda...or Ranger...and your daughter just bought the Trailblazer...how would this change the contest of your post...just wander wink.png ...laugh.png

She has just bought a new Fortuner. laugh.png

She has just bought a new Fortuner. laugh.png

...never mind...it was a joke biggrin.png

• Like 1

I noticed today that the new Fortuner has coil springs on the rear smile.png

They have always had coil springs. rolleyes.gif

he was just afraid they might have removed them in the new version smile.png

I can confirm up until now they had prehistoric leaf springs on the rear, its possible that the diesel version still has them but the 2.7 petrol version has the coils. smile.png

I can confirm up until now they had prehistoric leaf springs on the rear, its possible that the diesel version still has them but the 2.7 petrol version has the coils. smile.png

You need new glasses, Fortuner's have coil springs on the rear and always have.

You can confirm. cheesy.gif

Sorry but the Fortuner has ALWAYS had coils. rolleyes.gif

Have they replaced the Everest yet?

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Not yet, it still has Leaf springs and am 99% sure the new one (based on T6 Ranger) will also have leaf springs.

We do a lot of suspension development at work and can honestly say a leaf sprung pickup can be made to both handle and ride nicely without compromising load carrying ability. they also stop well with 350mm front discs and Harrop 4 pot calipers.

I want mine to be more comfortable not that bothered about load. But I suppose 5 people and a bike. So about 600 -700kg load. 2004 ranger 4 door. Any tips biggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

You could take a leaf out of the rear springs, or tyres about 22psi,rear, i do this with our 4 door Ranger and its quite comfortable, no uneven tyre wear after 4 years,or normal pressures and 2 big bags of sand in the back,

The only real answer is air suspension, big Trucks in 1st world countries have had it for years, its totally automatic, the more load you have, by way of a load sensing valve, the more air goes into the bags and vice versa, the ride is always the same,

Which in turn means that Manufacturs have to fit a compressor to the engine, which wont happen soon, there BHP is already sapped by power steering pumps,Alternators,AC pumps ect, Volvo Trucks developed a system where if enough air was in the tanks, and full engine power was needed for hills ect, it would cut the compressor,

Perhaps one day a manufacturer will find a way to make an AC compressor to fill air tanks for suspension, air ride seats ect,

Undercover, I couldn't agree more - grew up driving everything from a 1969 Thunderbird through 1970s Cadillac Devilles and Pontiac Grand Prix to '80s Oldsmobile Delta 88s and Chevrolet Caprices, Lincolns, etc., and what all these had in common was - comfort. You couldn't feel or hear much of anything, you just moved without any noise, vibration, harshness. Other things they had in common - they cost next to nothing and never broke.

One time back in the 1990s I got out of an '82 Caprice I was driving and test drove a VW Golf GTI at a dealership.. I left the good old Caprice idling with the air-con on (it was summer, and we never used to turn our cars off in summer for anything less than a half-hour stop). Well, I test drove the horrible Golf and I never saw such a buzzy, bouncy unpleasant little thing. What a relief to lay back in the big soft cloth bench seat of the Chevy and cruise of in air-conditioned, smooth soft riding comfort. It handled pretty well too, I thought.

Edited by ClareQuilty
  • Like 1

Ok transam you win coffee1.gif Ive just spent half hour looking up Fortuner spec and the only connection I can find to a leaf spring rear model is one sold in Africa, Ive even seen a leaf spring conversion for the front end in Arabia shock1.gif but here in Thailand your right, I take back everything Ive said about the Fortuner over the years and have to begrudgingly admit its not a bad vehicle. biggrin.png

Undercover, I couldn't agree more - grew up driving everything from a 1969 Thunderbird through 1970s Cadillac Devilles and Pontiac Grand Prix to '80s Oldsmobile Delta 88s and Chevrolet Caprices, Lincolns, etc., and what all these had in common was - comfort. You couldn't feel or hear much of anything, you just moved without any noise, vibration, harshness. Other things they had in common - they cost next to nothing and never broke.One time back in the 1990s I got out of an '82 Caprice I was driving and test drove a VW Golf GTI at a dealership.. I left the good old Caprice idling with the air-con on (it was summer, and we never used to turn our cars off in summer for anything less than a half-hour stop). Well, I test drove the horrible Golf and I never saw such a buzzy, bouncy unpleasant little thing. What a relief to lay back in the big soft cloth bench seat of the Chevy and cruise of in air-conditioned, smooth soft riding comfort. It handled pretty well too, I thought.
Stop it stop it clarequilty, Just like watching Frank Cannon or the Rockford files your taking me back to the time when a car just moved without any noise, vibration, or harshness. thumbsup.gif even the quality cars of today like the top model Camry do not move with the same lack of harshness, I have a feeling its down to weight ? those old cars were not called Yank Tanks for no reason, I think today although we have modern suspension technology the cars just do not have the weight therefore bounce around at the slightest pot hole. unfortunately my theory goes right out the window when you think about old French cars like the Renault 4 and Citroen 2 CV biggrin.png Edited by undercover

Stop it stop it clarequilty, Just like watching Frank Cannon or the Rockford files your taking me back to the time when a car just moved without any noise, vibration, or harshness. thumbsup.gif even the quality cars of today like the top model Camry do not move with the same lack of harshness, I have a feeling its down to weight ? those old cars were not called Yank Tanks for no reason, I think today although we have modern suspension technology the cars just do not have the weight therefore bounce around at the slightest pot hole. unfortunately my theory goes right out the window when you think about old French cars like the Renault 4 and Citroen 2 CV biggrin.png

Lets face it, my friend, the main trajectory of human society and its fruits is downward.

Stop it stop it clarequilty, Just like watching Frank Cannon or the Rockford files your taking me back to the time when a car just moved without any noise, vibration, or harshness. thumbsup.gif even the quality cars of today like the top model Camry do not move with the same lack of harshness, I have a feeling its down to weight ? those old cars were not called Yank Tanks for no reason, I think today although we have modern suspension technology the cars just do not have the weight therefore bounce around at the slightest pot hole. unfortunately my theory goes right out the window when you think about old French cars like the Renault 4 and Citroen 2 CV biggrin.png

Lets face it, my friend, the main trajectory of human society and its fruits is downward.

I could not agree more. with all the things we now have to help us we seem to be going backwards in respect of the time it takes us to do anything or get anywhere.

Just one last reminisce of the old days, or ( back in the day ) as they call it now.

Remember going into your local motor parts store and asking for a part for your car, the guy would reach down under the counter and bring out a big book, he would open the page to say a water pump or what ever you were looking for and say is this the part you want ? you would reply yes that's it, he would then go to the shelf it was on bring it back to you then you would pay him and be on your way. 15/20 minuets at most.

Then they brought out that computer monitor idea to save time unsure.png it came complete with dozens of slides they called " fish " it then took the poor guy 15/20 minuets just to find the correct slide, a further 15/20 minuets moving the monitor around to avoid reflections from the shop lights, a further 15/20 minuets to find the part you wanted on the slide with a further 15/20 minuets adjusting the monitor so as to get a clear enough picture to confirm the part biggrin.png I think that's about when our progress in time saving started sad.png

Undercover, do not fear, all is not lost. A vehicle with actual suspension is available, but it's a truck see http://www.kresscarr....com/coal.php The actual suspension in nitrogen over oil, long (24") travel, low freq damping, bit like a big version of a DS19. The steering is full hydraulic, not precise but no road shocks and the power train is so far from the driver you really can't hear it.

There are a couple of drawbacks. The small version is only 1,600hp but still heavy on juice and top speed is around 70 km/h. They ain't cheap and parking is a little tricky, then again who is going to argue if you bump them...

post-149670-0-38136000-1346646356_thumb.

Undercover.... sorry that is not 100% true.......

In the old days, local motor parts store had everything in stock so would go and get it... Now a day very few places have stock and not just motoring......

​So the Parts Catalog if the local motor parts store want one they can have one, just had a phone call so catalog is in front of me, it is large 30 cm x 21 cm x 7 cm thick = Full of pictures and part numbers and that is just for the TFR/TFS Isuzu !!

Most local motor parts store here just ask for the CD or DVD, Here as long as the local motor parts store phone before Lunch, they have the parts delivered next day......... But and a big one, many genuine parts are not made anymore 6 months after production ends = you then need lots more Books/catalogs or CD/DVD from other companies that make them.or still stock said part..

I do agree that slide frame thing took forever to find what your looking for, but is a lot easier with PC and DVD parts list....

Every few months more part cannot be found, price changes for older models, and a new CD/DVD is easy to make... [saying older models some genuine parts are impossible to find on 5 year old vehicles] Every month there are changes, basic list is typed out on this PC, and then pop down to the copy shop for 100 copies, but after 3 or 4 months there are so many changes one has to make a new DVD....

went into Home Pro a few months ago wanted some more tiles, yes they still had them on display, only wanted 1 box - 4 tiles, salesman says No not stock anymore, must order come back tomorrow afternoon..

Undercover, do not fear, all is not lost. A vehicle with actual suspension is available, but it's a truck see http://www.kresscarr....com/coal.php The actual suspension in nitrogen over oil, long (24") travel, low freq damping, bit like a big version of a DS19. The steering is full hydraulic, not precise but no road shocks and the power train is so far from the driver you really can't hear it.

There are a couple of drawbacks. The small version is only 1,600hp but still heavy on juice and top speed is around 70 km/h. They ain't cheap and parking is a little tricky, then again who is going to argue if you bump them...

nitrogen over oil, long (24") travel, low freq damping. YES now were talking, as you say jitar all is not lost, my only concern now is cost ? parking in central Pattaya, and if I could live with only 1,600 hp

Undercover.... sorry that is not 100% true.......

In the old days, local motor parts store had everything in stock so would go and get it... Now a day very few places have stock and not just motoring......

​So the Parts Catalog if the local motor parts store want one they can have one, just had a phone call so catalog is in front of me, it is large 30 cm x 21 cm x 7 cm thick = Full of pictures and part numbers and that is just for the TFR/TFS Isuzu !!

Most local motor parts store here just ask for the CD or DVD, Here as long as the local motor parts store phone before Lunch, they have the parts delivered next day......... But and a big one, many genuine parts are not made anymore 6 months after production ends = you then need lots more Books/catalogs or CD/DVD from other companies that make them.or still stock said part..

I do agree that slide frame thing took forever to find what your looking for, but is a lot easier with PC and DVD parts list....

Every few months more part cannot be found, price changes for older models, and a new CD/DVD is easy to make... [saying older models some genuine parts are impossible to find on 5 year old vehicles] Every month there are changes, basic list is typed out on this PC, and then pop down to the copy shop for 100 copies, but after 3 or 4 months there are so many changes one has to make a new DVD....

went into Home Pro a few months ago wanted some more tiles, yes they still had them on display, only wanted 1 box - 4 tiles, salesman says No not stock anymore, must order come back tomorrow afternoon..

Yes ignis what your saying makes sense. I agree there are so many constant changes to a model of car now its hard for the sales person to really say if it is going to be exactly like the one they show you in the brochure.

Not being able to get a genuine spare part after only 5 years is not really what you want to hear but if they are changing things this fast I'm surprised its as long as that smile.png

One thing that I think we have come a long way on compared to cars in the past is rust prevention. it is seldom you see a car full of rust now even at 8/10 years old, in the past they would have parts falling off after a few years, if it were a Fiat then rust would be expected on the show room floor biggrin.png

i don't know why but the newer proton apparently with lotus suspension came to my mind but can anyone clear this up? are the new proton models with lotus suspension a decent ride? hear alot of senseless bashing on protons but any owners or anyone who test drove the new models clarify this?

i don't know why but the newer proton apparently with lotus suspension came to my mind but can anyone clear this up? are the new proton models with lotus suspension a decent ride? hear alot of senseless bashing on protons but any owners or anyone who test drove the new models clarify this?

I think the Lotus suspension thing is a bit misleading. More likely Proton couldn't sort it. sad.png