Scot Left Stranded On Phi Phi Island After Her Canadian Friends ‘Poisoned’

webfact

Being Scottish, as I am!!!

I'm sorry for the situation she has found herself in however she's a rocket if she thinks we're falling for this small print patter. The length of coverage is clearly stated on any travel insurance document I have ever had. She has seen the cost difference between 90 days and full year and brassed her case.

Just a normal eejit chancer then, but hey we have loads of them.......in fact being a chancer is our national sport. coffee1.gif

Appology acceptedbiggrin.png

• Like 1

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, on topic, this young lady is an idiot for not having the correct insurance policy for her travels. They're not expensive, and the small print excuse is garbage, it's very clear.

Hoping not to digress to far....but how many falangs actually living in Thailand dont have proper medical insurance...This young lady may be an idiot, but there are certainly bigger idiots in this regard in actually living in Thailand...

• Like 1

Anyway, on topic, this young lady is an idiot for not having the correct insurance policy for her travels. They're not expensive, and the small print excuse is garbage, it's very clear.

Hoping not to digress to far....but how many falangs actually living in Thailand dont have proper medical insurance...This young lady may be an idiot, but there are certainly bigger idiots in this regard in actually living in Thailand...

I personally think that anyone who travels without travel insurance is an selfish idiot. You place much stress not only on yourself but your family as well in the event of an accident.

For a year it costs GBP 131.00 for a year worldwide which is a pittance. If you cant afford that you shouldnt be going on holiday!

I have insurance.

I have insurance.

So thats one thing I can cross off my idiot list.

Actually she can feel lucky, she is still alive and the hospital only hold her passport. It can have been a lot worst...

Like this story: Last year a LEGAL burmese worker with a VALID visa got an accident in construction site in thailand. They sent him to hospital but when they found that no one gonna pay the hospital bills, they just chained him to his bed( inspite he canot even walk because of his serious injury)

230288.jpg

some NGO stepped in and I think the story ended well, at least i hope..

http://www.dvb.no/ne...o;™/14082

Is that for real, the medical proffession chaining someone up like an animal? Thats quite medieval actually and thats quite a big strong heavy chain as well. That can't be Thailand they are a developed country.

Developed country by infrastructure and in most parts, but still its the parts stuck in the stoneage that cause situations as above. :(

For a year it costs GBP 131.00 for a year worldwide which is a pittance. If you cant afford that you shouldnt be going on holiday!

Given that health insurance coverage in the USA costs somewhere between $200-800 (or more) per month, I have to wonder how much healthcare a $200 per year travel insurance policy would (and would not) cover. Yes, I've bought travel insurance in the past, but never had a lick of confidence they would come through if I really needed them.

Would she still be stuck in Thailand waiting for the insurance to payout rather than waiting for her family to come through? I suspect she'd be better off financially waiting on a 2-3 day wire transfer from Dad rather than waiting in a $$ hotel room for a 30-90 day insurance reimbursement.

I agree the insurance is a good idea. But there's so many horror stories about dodgy travel insurance companies that I can certainly understand why someone would choose to take their chances with their health rather than taking their chances with a potentially worthless travel insurance policy.

Edited by impulse

Given that health insurance coverage in the USA costs somewhere between $200-800 (or more) per month, I have to wonder how much a $200 per year travel insurance policy would (and would not) cover.

I agree the insurance is a good idea. But there's so many horror stories about dodgy travel insurance companies that I can certainly understand why someone would choose to take their chances with their health rather than taking their chances with a potentially worthless travel insurance policy.

I am talking about a well respected Insurance Company which I have used for years.

Cancelling Your Trip £2,500 (£75) £1,000 (£75) £1,000 (£75) Delayed Travel First 12 Hours £20 (Nil) Delayed Travel each further 12 hours £20 (Nil) Delayed Travel Total £200 (Nil) Missing your Departure £1,000 (Nil) Abandoning your trip after 24 hours £2,500 (£75)

Your Personal Belongings

Valuable Limit

Single Article Limit

£1,000 (£75)

£300

£150 £500 (£75)

Nil

£100 £500 (£75)

£100

£100 Personal Belongings delayed in transit for more than 12 hours £100 (Nil) £50 (Nil) Your Personal Money

Cash Limit

Your Travel Documents

£500 (£75)

£200

£200 Emergency Medical Expenses outside home country £5,000,000 (£75) £1,000,000 (£75) £2,000,000 (£75 State hospital stay benefit abroad per 24 hours £20 (Nil) £20 (Nil) State hospital stay benefit abroad total £200 (Nil) £200 (Nil) Emergency Dental treatment £100 (Nil) £100 (Nil) £100 (Nil) Cutting short your trip £500 (£75) £500 (£75) £1,000 (£75) Your Personal Liability £2,000,000 (£75) £1,000,000 (£75) £2,000,000 (£75) Personal Accident - Death £5,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) Personal Accident - Loss of Limb £15,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) Personal Accident – Permanent Total Disability £15,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) Legal Advice and Costs £25,000 (Nil) £5,000 (Nil) £50,000 (Nil) Hijacking, Kidnap and Detention £500 (Nil) End Supplier Failure £3,000 (Nil) £3,000 (Nil) £3,000 (Nil)

butgoBack.gif

£192.01

buynow.gif£131.10

buynow.gif

Single Trip Cover Areas Covered: Worldwide exc. USA/Canada and Caribbean Length of Travel: 367 days (From 21/06/2012 to 22/06/2013) No. of Travellers: 1 (1 person aged 18 to 40) Policy Type: Individual

It is good enough for the backpacker and covers most eventualities. Naturally there are superior covers but seeing the girl in question is from the UK and not the US I would have thought my post was more relevent .coffee1.gif

Edited by edwinclapham

I am talking about a well respected Insurance Company which I have used for years.

Good info. I'm not saying they're all bad, but Googled travel insurance scams and got 37.7 million hits.

And some of the worst offenders were offered by major travel websites and agencies.

As an aside,

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly is the benefit for staying in a state run hospital:

State hospital stay benefit abroad per 24 hours £20 (Nil) £20 (Nil) State hospital stay benefit abroad total £200 (Nil) £200 (Nil)

And just how much emergency dental treat do you qualify for?

Emergency Dental treatment £100 (Nil) £100 (Nil) £100 (Nil)

Edited by impulse

Good info. I'm not saying they're all bad, but Googled travel insurance scams and got 37.7 million hits.

And some of the worst offenders were offered by major travel websites and agencies.

As an aside,

Just out of curiosity, what, exactly is the benefit for staying in a state run hospital:

State hospital stay benefit abroad per 24 hours £20 (Nil) £20 (Nil) State hospital stay benefit abroad total £200 (Nil) £200 (Nil)

Emergency Dental treatment £100 (Nil) £100 (Nil) £100 (Nil)

Well you are not going to get much in the way of dentistry done on such a low allowance.. its an emergency cover only.. This is probably for the odd filling etc etc.

Staying in a state run hospital.. for example Australia will be FOC in a public ward, but they are giving you a GBP20 per day allowance for doing so.

I would also add if one is coming to Australia for example, whereby A & E treatment is FOC, you would be advised to have travel insurance for ambulance /flying doctor cover alone which can be prohibitive in some states.

Edited by edwinclapham

She has no health insurance and doesn't have 20,000 Baht and is trying to prolong her stay in a 3rd world tourist spot.

She is now trying to piggyback on the terrible deaths of the Canadian pair to win sympathy.

A more accurate headline would be "Scot ran out of cash"

She has no health insurance and doesn't have 20,000 Baht and is trying to prolong her stay in a 3rd world tourist spot.

She is now trying to piggyback on the terrible deaths of the Canadian pair to win sympathy.

A more accurate headline would be "Scot ran out of cash"

Or "Scot ran out of insurance" ?

Is it only me that doesn't have a problem with a business requesting and holding the one thing that will ensure you pay your bill???

Would she have preferred that they didn't start treating her until she called daddy dearest and cleared the 400pound...

I'm with you on this... sorry the girl didnt pay her medical fees, she was going to run off out of the country without paying a 400pound bill!!! Any idiot knows you pay and then your insurance pays you.. in fact sometimes you have to get permission first - but when you're sick... you're sick! If you went to a restaurant and tried to leave without paying... they'd hold you there... !!!!

She sounds very niaive! Same with the fact that you've been to hospital with food poisoning (or dehydration) and the 2 girls that you've hung out with, just died - why are you running off and not helping their families? Mushrooms, rat poisoning, etc etc.... ?

Poor families - they will just not understand and they want and need answers. Stop thinking of yourself woman!

.................how do you delete a post that you've just posted but don't wanna post anymore, without deleting the post then having to post another post like this? ; )

Edited by Dean1973

Yeah, these folk are a different breed, and £400 seems a bit much for a medical bill of this nature? All about money hey

How do you know what the bill was for ?....you have the detailed invoice for the treatment received in front of you ?

• Like 1

Yeah, these folk are a different breed, and £400 seems a bit much for a medical bill of this nature? All about money hey

400 quid isnt really too much for hospitalisation , antib's, hydration fluids etc etc. In this particular case I dont understand why the Thais are being hammered.

If she had been admitted into the states, then she would have something to beef about.

She took out insurance for 90 days which has expired.. and now is travelling onto Australia.. well Immigration is quite within their rights to prohibit entry.. insufficient funds!biggrin.png

Edited by edwinclapham

...the small print says she is not insured if she travels for longer than 90 days, which she has.

Small print! Naturally the policy is limited to a fixed term - you bought the 90 day policy you got the 90 day policy.

many policies won't cover you if you are outside your home area for more than x number of days. Even blue cross/blue shield is like this. This is quite common in the US that your insurance will cover you on holiday but not if you are outside your home area for more than 90 days. Most ppl don't know this until the situation arises that they need to file a claim and get denied.

Actually she can feel lucky, she is still alive and the hospital only hold her passport. It can have been a lot worst...

Like this story: Last year a LEGAL burmese worker with a VALID visa got an accident in construction site in thailand. They sent him to hospital but when they found that no one gonna pay the hospital bills, they just chained him to his bed( inspite he canot even walk because of his serious injury)

230288.jpg

Is that for real, the medical proffession chaining someone up like an animal? Thats quite medieval actually and thats quite a big strong heavy chain as well. That can't be Thailand they are a developed country.

Well.. I see thai writing on the bed sheet.

230288.jpg

You do know he was being sarcastic dont you ?

230288.jpg

Thailand is a scary place if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time ....sad.png

honestly.. with all the fools here on TVF, I just assume they mean what they say literally unless I see an emoticon to indicate differently.

• Like 2

honestly.. with all the fools here on TVF, I just assume they mean what they say literally unless I see an emoticon to indicate differently.

It was a little light hearted tongue in cheek coment.

In PhiPhi island, you generally do not get to run a tab in a bar. Unlike other parts of Thailand, where your bill is incremented and sits in a cup beside you, in Phi Phi you pay cash on delivery. This is no doubt because of all the young revelers who have skipped bills in the past. I find the attitude in PhiPhi island is very our compared to the rest if the country, but I can see why the locals are sour. And many of them are not locals, there are plenty of Burmese etc working in service industry there.

So it seems this cash on demand atmosphere has pervaded the hospital as well. I must say I am not surprised, PhiPhi attracts all sorts. Most young people are traveling on the bones of their ar5es.....

I am more interested in the degree of the connection between this lady's sickness and that of the deceased sisters. Were they together that same night? Did they eat together? What and where were they drinking? Was the Scottish lady a successful tout for a bar? Too successful?

• Like 1

Can only mirror what other posters have said. The only people with the authority to take your passport are the police and immigration. The whole motorbike scam works on the principle that once they have your passport, the operators know you must pay their 'repair fee' to get it back and you have little other option.

Simple lesson - don't give up your passport to anyone

Wares the pommy govmin? Her passport belongs to them!

230288.jpg

Thailand is a scary place if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time ....sad.png

Ever been to New York? Or Cape Town? Or Rio?

Thailand in comparison is fairly safe, provided you use your brain.

Skorchio, you are asking the right questions but I doubt somehow you'll get the right answers.

Edited by bigbamboo

Having just come back from a break in more developed countries, I really notice the difference here that even after so many years of development Thailand is still very backward in many ways, not least the Thai attitute towards human life as well as low standards of hygiene, education and inability to follow mostly simple but important rules.

There is a procedure in place for people who fall sick and don't have money. Actually, all hospitals are supposed to service them under Thai law. However, a patient can be transferred to a state hospital from a private at the request of the private hospital but the patient's condition should not be immediately life threatening. Although foreigners are supposed to still pay the government hopsitals there is believe it or not a budget to cover those that can't afford the necessary treatment.

A passport also can't be confiscated by anyone other than the police of judiciary.

A passport also can't be confiscated by anyone other than the police of judiciary.

Confiscated ?...in all likelyhood the passport was handed over as a surety willingly.....this is not confiscation...it wasnt taken from her against her will