Scot Left Stranded On Phi Phi Island After Her Canadian Friends ‘Poisoned’

webfact

Of course she is stuck, that's what happens when you don't pay your bills. The hospital could also have called the police to lock her up, but they were friendly enough not to do that.

And to dad: it is very easy these days to transfer money abroad and have it cleared the same day.

• Like 2

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More dead and case still unsolved ...... and you want the death of those 2 girls being solve as well ? Like every other "accidents" they will be forgotten in some police desk. You never know , it could bring a bad image for the Thailand tourism. it seems now it can be dangerous to spend holidays in Thailand.

And just after they were found the locals officials promised a speedy and thorough investigation.

They could have had there drink spiked on phi phi not a nice island what so ever i have been once and never again in my life would i set my foot on there again also the locals are not even nice people the island needs a major clean up also in the morning you have people passed out on the side off the walk path ..

If the drinks have been spiked we are looking at murder investigation but this is Thailand it will be put down as a food poisoning incident ..

Edited by Notstupid30

I am confused, does this girl not suspect her illness was connected to the other girls deaths?

I wish we had more info on when she got sick and what the three girls consumed together. Clearly the Scottish girl does no know what she had, but she would have a lot of important information. Maybe there will be another interview with a paper that is more concerned about the case then they are about a glitch in a girls travel plans.

I'm with you on this one.

If she was sick before the other two then what in common was consumed ?

Was she also sick in the room ? If not then how can it be suggested that leaking gas or cleaning fluid may have been the cause.

It's not rocket science ! ..... if the girl was also sick before the other two went to there room then where were they together and what was drunk or eaten at that place ?

I believe there's some pieces of information being held under raps here ... it just don't add up ... there are to many gaps and not enough facts to draw any sort of possible conclusion.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Is it only me that doesn't have a problem with a business requesting and holding the one thing that will ensure you pay your bill???

Would she have preferred that they didn't start treating her until she called daddy dearest and cleared the 400pound...

Now - the investigation or lack there of, with respect to the deaths is a different story all together... striking similarity to the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai that was originally put down to food poisoning, and would have stayed that way if one of the victims Aussie fathers didn't pull out all stops to ensure a proper investigation...

Nit pickin' I know, but I believe Kiwi. Please don't get us confused, there is more than a subtle difference. 5555.

Bottom line on this story as I see it is ( I haven't read it all as I post ) bearing in mind the Scots have notoriously short arms and deep pockets, I know and so do many other nationalities..No hospital is free to a tourist here.

a. Do you want medical treatment, o'h I see insurance OOD. So we need security to pay the debt, no your mobile phone wont cut it.

b. Most importantly IF is she able to give any evidence in relation to the sisters deaths, she should be given every opportunity to give that evidence to those investigating the case directly to their face in Bangkok... not P.P. or Krabi.

Edited by sportsman69

Phi Phi police say it is too early to determine how the sisters died but ruled out foul play.

What a joke. Can't determine how they died, but it wasn't foul play. Unreal.

I was just thinking yesterday we never seem to hear about these kinds of stories

happening in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia etc?

How come these mysterious deaths including the ones in Chiang Mai

last year only seem to happen in this country?

They happen all over the world and are mentioned in news papers generally buried in a small article. Here in Thailand we have The Nation to sensationalize it and make it seem like a ongoing routine thing.

Thai Visa then picks it up and people who know nothing about the world but what they read in The Nation Blow it all out of proportion.

Here in Chiang Mai we had four mysterious death's in one hotel last year. The talk on Thai Visa had it up to seven. The WHO was involved and the official verdict was we don't know. People on Thai Visa said what do you expect TIT just over looking the fact that the World Health Organization had been involved people had got sick and lived through what ever it was.

As a follow up on that one that particular hotel the Downtown Inn in the last week has been 80% torn down and they are continuing with the work as I write.

Gosh, I'm certainly glad nobody here on TV ever did anything foolish or poorly planned when they were young....

Sadly, I must admit I did. Still doing them occasionally even though I'm a lot older now.

... I suppose that this young woman is in Thailand without any idea that she could quickly find herself in deep trouble unless she has a back-up plan, is a testament to the effectiveness of the Thai government's international advertising campaign ... unfortunately, Thailand's reality is not as the Thai government advertises.

... I wonder ... would this young women travel to Sub-Saharan Africa with no back-up plans in case of an emergency? ... Sub-Saharan Africa might be a better analogue for Thailand ... when events go bad in Thailand, even seemingly small events like simple medical treatment for food poisoning, it goes Sub-Saharan bad very quickly.

... Thailand ... Land of Smiles! ... Amazing Thailand! ... Miracle Year! ... yeah ... that's Thailand, alright.

Gosh, I'm certainly glad nobody here on TV ever did anything foolish or poorly planned when they were young....

Sadly, I must admit I did. Still doing them occasionally even though I'm a lot older now.

Yes, no problem with that. But don't moan if your actions have consequences. Just pay up and get it over with.

confiscated passport???

only immigration or police can do that,except in thailand of coarse.whistling.gif

Hold on...she hasnt got the money to pay and has to wait for parents to send it to her..lets suppose the hospitol didnt take her passport, we all know she would have left without paying!....shame they didnt do the same in the UK for the IHS...does she expect to be treated for free??? And since when does Western Union or the likes take a week to clear...even swift to a foreign account is less than 24hrs, no doubt has her UK ATM so instant transfer inUK she could have the oney within 10 minutes of calling home.

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

Fantastic promotion for Thailand again with passports kept behind. And the government keeps talking about higher tourist in-flights the coming years. If Myanmar develops fast and with Malaysia and Vietnam around the corner I think the government not understands reality !

Actually she can feel lucky, she is still alive and the hospital only hold her passport. It can have been a lot worst...

Like this story: Last year a LEGAL burmese worker with a VALID visa got an accident in construction site in thailand. They sent him to hospital but when they found that no one gonna pay the hospital bills, they just chained him to his bed( inspite he canot even walk because of his serious injury)

230288.jpg

some NGO stepped in and I think the story ended well, at least i hope..

http://www.dvb.no/ne...o;™/14082

post-156228-0-19091100-1340174438_thumb.

post-156228-0-62160500-1340174455_thumb.

Edited by Bender

Being sick is not a good excuse for NOT paying your hospital bill.

No kidding. 400 quid sounds reasonable for a 3 night stay at the hospital. She doesn't have a credit card? She didn't plan for financial emergencies on a 90+ day trip? My health insurance requires me to pay upfront and they reimburse me when I get home.

Anyways, I hope the girl is able to provide the police some information to help with the investigation of the two sisters that died. R.I.P.

Yes,in USA you would pay even more,but in Thailand - 16000B for 3 days in provincial hospital is rip-off,but if you have to much money - you can pay and give them tips.

They could have had there drink spiked on phi phi not a nice island what so ever i have been once and never again in my life would i set my foot on there again also the locals are not even nice people the island needs a major clean up also in the morning you have people passed out on the side off the walk path ..............................................

I totally agree with the first part of your post at least, the rest unlike many others I wont even hazard to speculate. PP is like a pimple on a boil on the arsehol_e of toyland.

My take on the downward spiral is......

Many years ago Phi Phi was, IIRC when it first started, HQ. for the Kings Cup Regatta. What a beautiful, hospitable, paradise it was. With the advent of mass tourism, and the resultant boom in corruption, the Race committee decided to HQ. at the hotel in Nai Harn and simply have a stopover there as part of the race circuit instead. The Tsunami came and went giving the " Rulers of the Island " the perfect chance to clean up the mess.......They didn't, in fact it got worse, to the stage, no doubt out of the respect to His Majesty the King, Race Committee abandoned the venue altogether.

Even as you sail into PP today upwind, you can smell the stench from miles offshore.

And Trip Advisor is saying it's # 1, the most must see Island on the planet ...Sheesh..............

• Like 1

Her father stated on "Newspaperthatcannotbenameddotcom) that his daughter's insurance was only valid for 90 days and that she had gone past the expiry date of the insurance.

It also stated that she was en route to Australia, what with no money?.. she was awaiting funds from her father in Scotland! How can she survive in Australia , taking into fact she could be on on a young persons working visa. she would still need funds to commence with.

On entering a Thai hospital I have had the standard request for my passport which has been duly photocopied and then given back but of course I had reserve monies to pay the hospital bill beforehand.

Anyway she made it onto the media!whistling.gif

boatloads of people arrive in Australia every week without passports and money, the aussie government will take care of her no problems.
  • Like 1

Actually she can feel lucky, she is still alive and the hospital only hold her passport. It can have been a lot worst...

Like this story: Last year a LEGAL burmese worker with a VALID visa got an accident in construction site in thailand. They sent him to hospital but when they found that no one gonna pay the hospital bills, they just chained him to his bed( inspite he canot even walk because of his serious injury)

230288.jpg

some NGO stepped in and I think the story ended well, at least i hope..

http://www.dvb.no/ne...o;™/14082

Is that for real, the medical proffession chaining someone up like an animal? Thats quite medieval actually and thats quite a big strong heavy chain as well. That can't be Thailand they are a developed country.

They could have had there drink spiked on phi phi not a nice island what so ever i have been once and never again in my life would i set my foot on there again also the locals are not even nice people the island needs a major clean up also in the morning you have people passed out on the side off the walk path ..............................................

I totally agree with the first part of your post at least, the rest unlike many others I wont even hazard to speculate. PP is like a pimple on a boil on the arsehol_e of toyland.

My take on the downward spiral is......

Many years ago Phi Phi was, IIRC when it first started, HQ. for the Kings Cup Regatta. What a beautiful, hospitable, paradise it was. With the advent of mass tourism, and the resultant boom in corruption, the Race committee decided to HQ. at the hotel in Nai Harn and simply have a stopover there as part of the race circuit instead. The Tsunami came and went giving the " Rulers of the Island " the perfect chance to clean up the mess.......They didn't, in fact it got worse, to the stage, no doubt out of the respect to His Majesty the King, Race Committee abandoned the venue altogether.

Even as you sail into PP today upwind, you can smell the stench from miles offshore.

And Trip Advisor is saying it's # 1, the most must see Island on the planet ...Sheesh..............

Yea i was just looking at hotel reviews @ tripadvisor.com.au bloody shocking is not the word I'm looking for <deleted> nothing really changed to say the least and i went back in 2007

Ms Kay said she met the Canadian sisters, from Quebec, when she was promoting restaurants and bars on the island.

Which means Ms Kay is a young & pretty thing hired to look young & pretty around the restaurants and bars during her pass-thru of Phi Phi Island....sounds similar to the female models at car shows.

Beam me up Scotty

Being Scottish, as I am!!!

I'm sorry for the situation she has found herself in however she's a rocket if she thinks we're falling for this small print patter. The length of coverage is clearly stated on any travel insurance document I have ever had. She has seen the cost difference between 90 days and full year and brassed her case.

Just a normal eejit chancer then, but hey we have loads of them.......in fact being a chancer is our national sport. coffee1.gif

if you watch BBC World these days all you see is continual advertising of Thailand tourism

which must be costing the Thai government a lot of money.

and yet this kind of deplorable public relations is more than undoing all that.

I really think that tourism Minister needs to become a lot more proactive and hands-on

in dealing with these kinds of issues because slowly but surely it's drip drip drip

-sowing a lot of negative seeds in the minds of potential tourists

i wish this was the case, but the number of people who read "the Nation, or thaivisa , don't hold a candle to those watching the BBC , and those reading the nation will be in thailand already , pity it won't affect the numbers of tourists as TAT deserve a kick in the goolies , ........what wonderful compasion thais show at times like these sad.png

Her connection to the case sounds like a red herring. A none too bright Scottish lass with an equally dozy dad, even most students or their dimwitted fathers can understand an insurance policy. Ninety days cover is ninety days cover.... hardly rocket science.

The Bangkok autopsy doesn't look too promising in terms of unravelling the mystery either.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Phi phi is more of a teener backpacker hang out/over place.

Payed for two days but left after one .

The place would have looked great 20 years ago,

but not annymore.

It really pisses me of to see how disrespect full and impolite

these kids & some adults act in a foreign country.

And sometimes i think its no wonder that some stuff takes place...

Her connection sounds to the case like a red herring. A none too bright Scottish lass with an equally dozy dad, even most students or their dimwitted fathers can understand an insurance policy. Ninety days cover is ninety days cover.... hardly rocket science.

The Bangkok autopsy doesn't look too promising in terms of unravelling the mystery either.

Infinitely better than the crude attempts of Krabi or Surat. + CC are nearby to oversee, if at all possible.

If I fell ill while on holiday in Scotland,would I not have to pay my hospital bill?

Complex question Sir, you would get critical care given to you no question asked. We don't turn away sick people from our hospitals, especially our Emergency Rooms. There is no way in a critical situation you would be asked to pay money up front. No way.

Anyway, on topic, this young lady is an idiot for not having the correct insurance policy for her travels. They're not expensive, and the small print excuse is garbage, it's very clear.

• Like 2