Scot Left Stranded On Phi Phi Island After Her Canadian Friends ‘Poisoned’

webfact

Therefore, from what I am reading I never would travel to Thailand again and will lobby all countries to post warnings about travel to Thailand. Sorry, but that's what it has come to.

I feel the same way but with the eu euro crisis and on top of that the cost of living in the Uk and no work there i'm stay here once things have changed .. I will think about going back ..

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phi Phi police say it is too early to determine how the sisters died but ruled out foul play.

What a joke. Can't determine how they died, but it wasn't foul play. Unreal.

I was just thinking yesterday we never seem to hear about these kinds of stories

happening in Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia etc?

How come these mysterious deaths including the ones in Chiang Mai

last year only seem to happen in this country?

They happen all over the world and are mentioned in news papers generally buried in a small article. Here in Thailand we have The Nation to sensationalize it and make it seem like a ongoing routine thing.

Thai Visa then picks it up and people who know nothing about the world but what they read in The Nation Blow it all out of proportion.

Here in Chiang Mai we had four mysterious death's in one hotel last year. The talk on Thai Visa had it up to seven. The WHO was involved and the official verdict was we don't know. People on Thai Visa said what do you expect TIT just over looking the fact that the World Health Organization had been involved people had got sick and lived through what ever it was.

As a follow up on that one that particular hotel the Downtown Inn in the last week has been 80% torn down and they are continuing with the work as I write.

If you follow this link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385379/British-couple-tourists-die-Thailand-bed-bug-pesticide-poisoning.html. I got the following information: There were at least 8 deaths and others ill in Chiang Mai. US authorities say based on the symptoms/cause of death it was definitely chemical poisoning. They named the chemical and saiid it is used to spray bed bugs (banned in many countries) and If there was over zealous spraying by a cleaner this would occur.

The Chiang Mai Govenor said it was coincidence and, the blood samples were "lost". People in adjoining rooms were affected (which would have been cleaned/ sprayed by one person)- was the Scott staying in the same hotel as the girls, or had she been in their room recently? Does the PhiPhi hotel bed bug spray/use this chemical?

Therefore, from what I am reading I never would travel to Thailand again and will lobby all countries to post warnings about travel to Thailand. Sorry, but that's what it has come to.

I feel the same way but with the eu euro crisis and on top of that the cost of living in the Uk and no work there i'm stay here once things have changed .. I will think about going back ..

If you would never go to Thailand again why are you a ThaiVisa member reading posts here and basing your travel on such posts which are speculative?

Then you're going to be a busy man!

Being Scottish, as I am!!!

I'm sorry for the situation she has found herself in however she's a rocket if she thinks we're falling for this small print patter. The length of coverage is clearly stated on any travel insurance document I have ever had. She has seen the cost difference between 90 days and full year and brassed her case.

Just a normal eejit chancer then, but hey we have loads of them.......in fact being a chancer is our national sport. coffee1.gif

I've always had to fill in a form and sign it for insurance cover. It always asks for the dates of your travel and you are quoted based on the length of your stay

Did she have to pay the bill first then have it reimbursed like she said, or not even be covered after 90days as her father said.

Shame in her for slinging mud at the hospital and trying to bring them into disrepute when she has been treated and left healthy.. if they " prevented" her leaving, it infers she isn't happy she couldn't leave (without paying her bill) and hasn't shown herself to be someone of character working illegally.

Phi Phi police say it is too early to determine how the sisters died but ruled out foul play.

What a joke. Can't determine how they died, but it wasn't foul play. Unreal.

Agree. Thai police come up with guess work not police work.

Without second guessing the character, judgement, and astuteness of Ms. Kay, her sickness should provide good insight to the Canadian authorities to assess what happened/was eaten/inhaled/drank..etc. Ms. Kay's plight points out that keeping your status straight avoiding conflict helps maintain your rights. The fact that she was "working," and if this was illegal, exposes her to loss of rights with Thailand law, insurance companies, and anyone looking for a loophole to deny her a right.

The Thai hospital action of witholding her passport is to be expected in Thailand, if they could get their hands on it in the first place. Having trouble in Thailand of any kind is not a pleasant consideration.

As many posters have mentioned the impact on Thai tourism I would direct you to the story today on Australian news about a woman being stabbed to death in Phuket over an attempted bag-snatch. To make things worse (for Thailand) she and her companion were TRAVEL AGENTS.

On the travel insurance issue. Everyone knows the cover dates of their insurance. It is usually there on the first page, not buried in the fine print (unless it is a very unusual policy).

Thankfully I always have travel insurance because I was charged over $5000 for a 2 hour stay in a Las Vegas hospital. I really did not need the expensive tests because I already knew what the problem was from a previous occurance. None of the doctors would consider just giving me the simple treatment that I knew worked in an Australian hospital.

There is a procedure in place for people who fall sick and don't have money. Actually, all hospitals are supposed to service them under Thai law. However, a patient can be transferred to a state hospital from a private at the request of the private hospital but the patient's condition should not be immediately life threatening. Although foreigners are supposed to still pay the government hopsitals there is believe it or not a budget to cover those that can't afford the necessary treatment.

Well we had the case of the penny-less farang who smoked and drank himself to death.

His girlfriend insisted nevertheless to have him brought to a private hospital, where after a few days on life support and hoping the farang community would pay the bill, it became clear to the hospital his farang friends played absent. They just moved him to then government hospital where he died a few hours after arriving.

I contacted the family and no one would pay any bills to the hospital nor for a funeral, his corpse stayed in a fridge for months at the government hospital.

Can only mirror what other posters have said. The only people with the authority to take your passport are the police and immigration. The whole motorbike scam works on the principle that once they have your passport, the operators know you must pay their 'repair fee' to get it back and you have little other option.

Simple lesson - don't give up your passport to anyone

that's all very well for you to say that but you hand over your passport

everytime you register in a hotel to be photocopied? Maybe the hospital gave her the impression

they were just going to take a photocopy like they do in hotels.

If the poor girl wasn't feeling well there wouldn't have been much she could do

physically if they said they would keep its secure for her?

It is not only Thailand that plays games with Passports. I went to a five star hotel in Marbella who got my booking mixed up with my Daughter's who was staying a day less than I was. When I booked out they tried to charge me for an extra day, but when I produced a copy of my internet booking and confirmation they apologised and said no charge would be raised. I continued my tour of Europe with my Wife, only to find that when I got home they had charged for an extra day after all. My many e-mails to the hotel failed to receive any response at all. I then contacted the Company who I made the booking through. A year later I got a refund. It all happened because I failed to ask for the return of the photocopy of my Passport they had made when I first arrived at the Hotel. Lessons learned: not only dodgy organisations scam you and if you do have your passport photocopied, ensure you get that back when you book out.

I haven't read every post but this woman is a key person in this investigation. So she is actually hired to bring tourists to bars. She meets up with the Canadians, takes them to a bar and they all end up sick. Strikes me they all took something illegal. She ends up in hospital and the other two die. I would be keeping her passport for a while longer. Which bar did she take them too? What did they take at the bar? Was this girl selling drugs as part of her job?

This woman should be in custody. She should be tested for drug use immediately. Get her hospital records immediately.

Edited by Hellhound66

I haven't read every post but this woman is a key person in this investigation. So she is actually hired to bring tourists to bars. She meets up with the Canadians, takes them to a bar and they all end up sick. Strikes me they all took something illegal. She ends up in hospital and the other two die. I would be keeping her passport for a while longer. Which bar did she take them too? What did they take at the bar? Was this girl selling drugs as part of her job?

This woman should be in custody. She should be tested for drug use immediately. Get her hospital records immediately.

I think you must have been in her company!! you need seriously testing for drugs with the latest conspiracy theory! Hysterical nonsense!

I think you must have been in her company!! you need seriously testing for drugs with the latest conspiracy theory! Hysterical nonsense!

And your reasons would be?? This is glaring. Dehydration hmm let me think -why do all the youngsters walk around with bottles of water at raves- Oh that would be to avoid severe dehydration from drug use. How can something be a conspiracy when the facts are staring you in the face. This woman has a story to tell. Are you a bar owner on Phi Phi?

Edited by Hellhound66

Well maybe a bit more plausible than the Ebola theroy in the other thread...whistling.gif

And your reasons would be?? This is glaring. Dehydration hmm let me think -why do all the youngsters walk around with bottles of water at raves- Oh that would be to avoid severe dehydration from drug use. How can something be a conspiracy when the facts are staring you in the face. This woman has a story to tell.

coffee1.gif dear oh dear! I walk around with bottles of water the whole time, which of course makes me a druggiecoffee1.gifblink.png

• Like 1

And your reasons would be?? This is glaring. Dehydration hmm let me think -why do all the youngsters walk around with bottles of water at raves- Oh that would be to avoid severe dehydration from drug use. How can something be a conspiracy when the facts are staring you in the face. This woman has a story to tell. Are you a bar owner on Phi Phi?

What "facts" second hand reports of tenous "facts" and pure spectulation....you are making it up as you go along...

And your reasons would be?? This is glaring. Dehydration hmm let me think -why do all the youngsters walk around with bottles of water at raves- Oh that would be to avoid severe dehydration from drug use. How can something be a conspiracy when the facts are staring you in the face. This woman has a story to tell.

coffee1.gif dear oh dear! I walk around with bottles of water the whole time, which of course makes me a druggiecoffee1.gifblink.png

And have you just come out of hospital having been in for severe dehydration? and have you just been late night clubbing in Phi Phi?

Edited by Hellhound66

Correct me if i am wrong but in the picture one of the girls has a marijuana leaf tattooed on her midriff.

What "facts" second hand reports of tenous "facts" and pure spectulation....you are making it up as you go along...

Sorry you mean these tenuous facts?? Main body of the article. If you are disputing these then perhaps you have some inside information that we don't.

Ms Kay, of Dundee, fell ill shortly before sisters Audrey, 20 and Noemi Belanger, 26, were found dead in their hotel room in Phi Phi Island last Friday.

The Scot spent three days in hospital being treated for suspected food poisoning but despite discharging her, hospital executives kept her passport.

Speaking from the tourist resort, Ms Kay said: “I was really ill. Food poisoning has been spoken about but it was dehydration as well. It could have been bacteria or a virus or something.

Correct me if I am wrong but in the picture one of the girls has a marijuana leaf tattooed on her midriff

Edited by Hellhound66

Can only mirror what other posters have said. The only people with the authority to take your passport are the police and immigration. The whole motorbike scam works on the principle that once they have your passport, the operators know you must pay their 'repair fee' to get it back and you have little other option.

everytime you register in a hotel to be photocopied? Maybe the hospital gave her the impression

Totally agree, I don't know how bad she felt, but when I had food poisoning, I wouldn't have been

in the mood to have the hospital staff give me a signed contract, garuanteeing return of my passport.

Not sure, but I don't believe the hospital has the right to keep her passport, my advice to the girl

is to go down to the police station and file a theft complaint.

Totally agree, I don't know how bad she felt, but when I had food poisoning, I wouldn't have been

in the mood to have the hospital staff give me a signed contract, garuanteeing return of my passport.

Not sure, but I don't believe the hospital has the right to keep her passport, my advice to the girl

I actually would be very careful when filing a theft report. This can be construed as fraud if it is not a genuine theft!

No one other than Immigration or a bone fide Police official can remove your passport from your person, other than that photocopies will have to surfice.

Sorry you mean these tenuous facts?? Main body of the article. If you are disputing these then perhaps you have some inside information that we don't.

Ms Kay, of Dundee, fell ill shortly before sisters Audrey, 20 and Noemi Belanger, 26, were found dead in their hotel room in Phi Phi Island last Friday.

The Scot spent three days in hospital being treated for suspected food poisoning but despite discharging her, hospital executives kept her passport.

Speaking from the tourist resort, Ms Kay said: “I was really ill. Food poisoning has been spoken about but it was dehydration as well. It could have been bacteria or a virus or something.

Correct me if I am wrong but in the picture one of the girls has a marijuana leaf tattooed on her midriff

So a hosptial diagnosed her with suspected food posioning and she stayed in hosptial 3 days and she has a tattoo on her stomach.....of course that conclusive isnt it....she's big time drug dealer...whistling.gif

Mate stick with your Barbara Cartland novels.....you are not very good with detective novels.....and they call the BiB stupid.....Sherlock Holmes has nothing on you.....thumbsup.gif

I actually would be very careful when filing a theft report. This can be construed as fraud if it is not a genuine theft!

No one other than Immigration or a bone fide Police official can remove your passport from your person, other than that photocopies will have to surfice.

she may have handed over her passport willingly as surety for treatment...then not theft...not confiscated etc etc

So a hosptial diagnosed her with suspected food posioning and she stayed in hosptial 3 days and she has a tattoo on her stomach.....of course that conclusive isnt it....she's big time drug dealer...whistling.gif

Mate stick with your Barbara Cartland novels.....you are not very good with detective novels.....and they call the BiB stupid.....Sherlock Holmes has nothing on you.....thumbsup.gif

Actually I believe it is one of the Canadian girls with the tattoo and I never said she was a big time drug dealer she is just a bar pimp paid to get customers in.

Kay meets up with the Canadians and takes them down to the bars she is pimping. They have a great evening of binge drinking and drugs. The two Canadian girls get back to their hotel rooms and start popping ibuprofen to help with the hangover not realizing that Ibuprofen is going to rip their stomachs to shreds with the amount of alcohol and drugs they have consumed. They die as a result.

Kay on the other hand goes home and realises she is in trouble and gets herself off to hospital where she is treated for dehydration and a possible case of food poisoning. She survives.

The Barbera Cartland version of the story.

Edited by Hellhound66

Ok here is the Cartland version then:

Kay meets up with the Canadians and takes them down to the bars she is pimping. They have a great evening of binge drinking and drugs. The two Canadian girls get back to their hotel rooms and start popping ibuprofen to help with the hangover not realizing that Ibuprofen is going to rip their stomachs to shreds with the amount of alcohol and drugs they have consumed. They die as a result.

Kay on the other hand goes home and realises she is in trouble and gets herself off to hospital where she is treated for dehydration and a possible case of food poisoning. She survives.

You forgot to put in a piece about them contracting the Ebola virus...

BTW you should go and work for the BIB....you seem to be very good with coming up with half-arsed theories....

Ok here is the Cartland version then:

You forgot to put in a piece about them contracting the Ebola virus...

BTW you should go and work for the BIB....you seem to be very good with coming up with half-arsed theories....

And if I am right? Internal bleeding = cyanosis (turns nails and lips blue), blood from the mouth, vomiting and bruising on the torso.

Edited by Hellhound66

Being Scottish, as I am!!!

I'm sorry for the situation she has found herself in however she's a rocket if she thinks we're falling for this small print patter. The length of coverage is clearly stated on any travel insurance document I have ever had. She has seen the cost difference between 90 days and full year and brassed her case.

Just a normal eejit chancer then, but hey we have loads of them.......in fact being a chancer is our national sport. coffee1.gif

I've always had to fill in a form and sign it for insurance cover. It always asks for the dates of your travel and you are quoted based on the length of your stay

It's called buying a year long or multi year long travel insurance policy, and no you don't have to fill in the dates of travel, and it is a stardard rate.

And yes it is pretty standard across most companies to only allow coverage for the first 90 days of the trip, but as long as you return to

the home country for even 1 day, you can leave the next day and get a whole nother 90 days of coverage.

It is a reasonable policy, because it is suppose to be for travel, and if you are out of the country for 7 - 8 months on a row that really isn't travel insurance, that is just normal insurance.

• Like 1