First Time New Car Purchase & Bht100,000 Gov Rebate

my understanding is rebate is untill the end of this year,

and we hope to complete the $$$$ paperwork $$$$ before the end of next month...

yes my TGF will be the first time buyer.....

seems the only catch is you must keep the car for 5 years can not sell it or it voids rebate ...

can't imagine the car being worth much re sale after 5 years .

hmmm always a catch $$$$$ in this country....

So does this mean you have to pay the full retail price of the car first, then wait for the rebate to be paid back?

Is it one lump sum that you will get ?

How long will this rebate take to be paid ?

1° Correct, you pay first and you get your rebate one year after.

2° Yes.

3° Normally one year; however if the thai national on the name of whom this car is registered (reminder: not for farangs!) sells it before five years, he is liable to repay the full amount of the rebate.

Regarding number 3: there will be a note in the blue book that the car can not be sold within 5 years.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about that new Suzuki swift?

Swift would qualify, problem will be that the delivery will probably be too late to qualify.

The rebate sheme was amended approx 2.5 months ago - it's now been extended until the middle of next year, and all that's needed is a paid booking by the deadline to qualify, not actual physical delivery.

• Like 1

Some good news for a change, you may have to check with the Exercise Dept in your area for confirmation.

A friend of mine has informed me that the Thai Gov has also extended the Tax Excise to the end of March 2013 because of the backlog of orders. They explained that this was due to the floods last year and the motor vehicle factorys getting up and running again.

OK I found out this info and also the site below is of the latest info.

The government's scheme will give tax rebates of up to Bt100,000 to first-time auto buyers from September 16 to December 31, 2012, now extended to end of March 2013.

The rebates will be paid by the Excise Department after the buyer has owned the car for one year.

Payment is subject to obligatory ownership of the car for five years.

Eligible vehicles include passenger cars with an engine capacity of no more than 1,500cc and pickups costing Bt1 million or less. The vehicles must be locally assembled.

To be eligible, participants have to buy a car priced less than 1 million baht, and the rebate is made on the excise tax with a ceiling of 100,000 baht. In addition, the engine must be less than 1,500cc and buyers must be at least 21 years old, while ownership must be held for at least five years.

In other words if you sell the car before the 5 year period, you have to pay back to the excise Dept the TB100,000, or what ever they paid you for the size car you purchased.

The Excise Department will pay the rebate in the form of a cashier's cheque within one year after the purchase.

If your wife or friend can read Thai, all you want to know is on this site.

https://firstcar.excise.go.th/

Hope this clears some things up.

OZEMADE

The government's scheme will give tax rebates of up to Bt100,000 to first-time auto buyers from September 16 to December 31, 2012, now extended to end of March 2013.

The rebates will be paid by the Excise Department after the buyer has owned the car for one year.

Eligible vehicles include passenger cars with an engine capacity of no more than 1,500cc and pickups costing Bt1 million or less. The vehicles must be locally assembled.

To be eligible, participants have to buy a car priced less than 1 million baht, and the rebate is made on the excise tax with a ceiling of 100,000 baht. In addition, the engine must be less than 1,500cc and buyers must be at least 21 years old, while ownership must be held for at least five years.

In other words if you sell the car before the 5 year period, you have to pay back to the excise Dept the TB100,000, or what ever they paid you for the size car you purchased.

The Excise Department will pay the rebate in the form of a cashier's cheque within one year after the purchase.

OZEMADE

this week we received our reg.docs. the wf.took them along to the tax dept.who are dealing with refunds,filled in the form[easy] and she was told she would recieve refund in 12months time,but is this open to abuse?frst fictitious claims by you know who,also we all know how easy it is to get credit here,so what is stopping people buying a car on tick keeping it for a year,getting the rebate then letting it be repossessed,who's goner chase them for the refund back,then there is keeping the vehicle for 5yrs.what happens when next door goes and buys a new car do they loose face or simply get rid,how would the new owners of the said vehicle know it cant be sold within 5yrs of purchase they wont find out untill they go to register the car then they have to chase for their money back easier said than done.we all know a car on hp.is not yours till the last payment is received,so why dont the gov.pay the refunds direct to the finance comp.this is going to cost the gov.billions that they wont get to set future budgets.

what about that new Suzuki swift?

Swift would qualify, problem will be that the delivery will probably be too late to qualify.

The rebate sheme was amended approx 2.5 months ago - it's now been extended until the middle of next year, and all that's needed is a paid booking by the deadline to qualify, not actual physical delivery.

Please give details and where this information come from.

OZEMADE

You have supplied a lot of good info. Do you know if need the vehicle in hand before end of March or is only a booking slip required. I'm assuming need vehicle in hand to apply for rebate.

Thanks to OZEMADE and others for the information on the rebate and I want to take advantage of it.

I am ,however, getting mixed messages on whether of not the scheme has been extended into 2013

I dont read Thai - is the continuation mentioned on the website - wife's nephew is talking to Toyota Dealer in Chiang Rai on a pickup with purchase price of B925,000 - I think the rebate will be B90,000 (aprox)

Dealer + wifey telling me definite finish in December.( can understand dealer wanting to tie up a sale now)

March 2013 extension would be perfect for us as we won't be up there until then.

Any feedback would be appreciated

All the best

Kel

Thanks to OZEMADE and others for the information on the rebate and I want to take advantage of it.

I am ,however, getting mixed messages on whether of not the scheme has been extended into 2013

I dont read Thai - is the continuation mentioned on the website - wife's nephew is talking to Toyota Dealer in Chiang Rai on a pickup with purchase price of B925,000 - I think the rebate will be B90,000 (aprox)

Dealer + wifey telling me definite finish in December.( can understand dealer wanting to tie up a sale now)

March 2013 extension would be perfect for us as we won't be up there until then.

All the best

Kel

Seems like no one know the answer to your question or mine above.

OZEMADE

You have supplied a lot of good info. Do you know if need the vehicle in hand before end of March or is only a booking slip required. I'm assuming need vehicle in hand to apply for rebate.

It is the booking slip only that you have to supply before the end of march, that slip of paper will have the delivery date on it to the dealer.

All it states is that you can not sell the vehicle for 5 yrs from the date you receive the vehicle.

If you sell the vehicle before the 5 yrs is up, you will have to pay the Rebate back to the Gov.

I would have this confirmed by the dealer and the Excise Office who organise the Rebate for you in the Town you are buying it.

To make sure, as you probably know rules seem to change in different areas. Similar to Visa rules etc.

Edited by OZEMADE

All the best

Kel

Kel, I was informed by the Lop Buri ISUZU dealer and the Lop Buri Excise department that it had been extended until the end of March 2013.

However as I told, I think it was John1, it is safer to check with the Excise department where you are purchasing the vehicle.

I would be going and purchasing the vehicle from the Toyota Dealer in Chang Rai now, as this would allow you to apply for the rebate now and you will probably still have to wait for the car well after march 2013, due to the backlog of orders.

All the best

Kel

I was told it need to be booked only, by the suzuki dealer. Hope so anyway as our car isn't due until June! If it's delivery by march, 2013, many people will pull ut of the scheme and get their deposits back, but that's not my understanding. This explains the massive backlog of and long delivery times. Everyone is booking cars. It will be tough for some people to hold a car for 5 years, and I wonder what happens if it's badly smashed in an accident. Insurance will fix it and you still need to drive a bent vehicle for 5 years or risk having to pay back the excise..

All the best

Kel

I was told it need to be booked only, by the suzuki dealer. Hope so anyway as our car isn't due until June! If it's delivery by march, 2013, many people will pull ut of the scheme and get their deposits back, but that's not my understanding. This explains the massive backlog of and long delivery times. Everyone is booking cars. It will be tough for some people to hold a car for 5 years, and I wonder what happens if it's badly smashed in an accident. Insurance will fix it and you still need to drive a bent vehicle for 5 years or risk having to pay back the excise..

I appreciate Ozemade comment but still not 100% clear and now Culicine you are not sure of what is correct. Does anyone know for sure can't trust a dealer to say.

this week we received our reg.docs. the wf.took them along to the tax dept.who are dealing with refunds,filled in the form[easy] and she was told she would recieve refund in 12months time,but is this open to abuse?frst fictitious claims by you know who,also we all know how easy it is to get credit here,so what is stopping people buying a car on tick keeping it for a year,getting the rebate then letting it be repossessed,who's goner chase them for the refund back,then there is keeping the vehicle for 5yrs.what happens when next door goes and buys a new car do they loose face or simply get rid,how would the new owners of the said vehicle know it cant be sold within 5yrs of purchase they wont find out untill they go to register the car then they have to chase for their money back easier said than done.we all know a car on hp.is not yours till the last payment is received,so why dont the gov.pay the refunds direct to the finance comp.this is going to cost the gov.billions that they wont get to set future budgets.

what is stopping people buying a car on tick keeping it for a year,getting the rebate then letting it be repossessed,who's goner chase them for the refund back

The rebate is only paid after the full retail price has been paid. If you haven't paid in full no finance company will put the vehicle in your name, making this a non-starter - the rebate is intended for cash buyers only.

how would the new owners of the said vehicle know it cant be sold within 5yrs of purchase

Because its written in the registration book (blue book), so ownership cannot be transferred until either after the five years is up or the rebate has been re-paid and the "no-sale" condition cancelled (shown in the book and registered by the DLT).

why dont the gov.pay the refunds direct to the finance comp

Because finance companies are not first time buyers, so are not eligible.

what is stopping people buying a car on tick keeping it for a year,getting the rebate then letting it be repossessed,who's goner chase them for the refund back

The rebate is only paid after the full retail price has been paid. If you haven't paid in full no finance company will put the vehicle in your name, making this a non-starter - the rebate is intended for cash buyers only.

Firstly,the downpayment is bigger than the rebate+1 year of payments...that makes no sense...

Secondly,the rebate is NOT for the cash buyers only...

I f you sell the car before 5 years,you must give the amount of the rebate back..

How they will control this?...simply,you want be able to sell your car-legally that is...want be able to change the name to the new owner....

how would the new owners of the said vehicle know it cant be sold within 5yrs of purchase

Because its written in the registration book (blue book), so ownership cannot be transferred until either after the five years is up or the rebate has been re-paid and the "no-sale" condition cancelled (shown in the book and registered by the DLT).

why dont the gov.pay the refunds direct to the finance comp

Because finance companies are not first time buyers, so are not eligible.

1 out of 3 ain't bad clap2.gif

• Like 2

Firstly,the downpayment is bigger than the rebate+1 year of payments...that makes no sense...

Secondly,the rebate is NOT for the cash buyers only...

I f you sell the car before 5 years,you must give the amount of the rebate back..

How they will control this?...simply,you want be able to sell your car-legally that is...want be able to change the name to the new owner....

"Firstly", downpayments vary, as do re-payments, but they are irrelevant - the scheme is designed to encourage first time car buyers, not to give someone who thinks they can manipulate it a cheap rental for one year. If the vehicle isn't in your name you aren't the owner and you won't be entitled to or get the rebate - end of story.

"Secondly", while the regulations do not STATE that the rebate is only available to cash buyers, that is very much the EFFECT of the regulations. The rebate is paid to the registered owner/buyer after they have owned the car for one year. That is NOT POSSIBLE if the registered owner is a finance company. If you can persuade someone to lend you some money privately and you then use that money to buy a vehicle, registered in your name and not secured by the loan, that is a private arrangement between the two of you but I somehow doubt that your rebate will cover the rate of interest such a loan will cost you or your hospital bills should you fail to keep up the payments.

Selling a car, to most people, entails a change of registered owner. If you can't change the registered ownership of a vehicle, for whatever reason, you won't get its proper re-sale value and you'll probably lose a lot more than any rebate.

The scheme may be open to some abuse, such as putting a vehicle in someone-else's name, but anyone who tries to follow your or meatyboy's suggestions will find that they stand to lose a LOT more than they could gain from a rebate.

I guess I'm a bit confused by this program. If it's designed for first time car buyers then how can they expect first time buyers to have cash to purchase the vehicle given the cost of vehicles here in Thailand? I would guess that most first time buyers of anything (car or house) will be using some sort of financing. It sounds like this program excludes them. Am I understanding this wrong?

I guess I'm a bit confused by this program. If it's designed for first time car buyers then how can they expect first time buyers to have cash to purchase the vehicle given the cost of vehicles here in Thailand? I would guess that most first time buyers of anything (car or house) will be using some sort of financing. It sounds like this program excludes them. Am I understanding this wrong?

Confused ??

It's same as all programs this government has started.

Make an announcement about a rebate that sounds good in the ears of the poor uneducated farmers, which is the majority of the population.

Then put some rules on it so that in fact only 1% of the proposed beneficiaries can actually benefit from the offer, as you know that the majority ( poor uneducated farmers) can not read or have no money to buy a newspaper to see the complaints about the scam program,

repeat this by as many scams promises as you can make up, and have the population on your hands.

Edited by jbrain

Confused ??

Make an announcement about a rebate that sounds good in the ears of the poor uneducated farmers, which is the majority of the population.

Then put some rules on it so that in fact only 1% of the proposed beneficiaries can actually benefit from the offer, as you know that the majority ( poor uneducated farmers) can not read or have no money to buy a newspaper to see the complaints about the scam program,

repeat this by as many scams promises as you can make up, and have the population on your hands.

If you are confused go back to sleep. If you want to argue about government policy go to another forum this is about car tax rebate

I'm just looking for confirmation that this program is NOT available to those buyers using financing. This is the first I've heard of this. None of the dealerships are saying this (obviously).

I think I read a post a while back that said yes people with finance are included. Just not sure how the rebate is applied I assume it goes to finance company and comes off your total amount.

Financing is allowed.

I think I read a post a while back that said yes people with finance are included. Just not sure how the rebate is applied I assume it goes to finance company and comes off your total amount.

Financing is allowed.

Thanks for the confirmations..

So that means the info in this post is inaccurate?

and this

"Secondly", while the regulations do not STATE that the rebate is only available to cash buyers, that is very much the EFFECT of the regulations. The rebate is paid to the registered owner/buyer after they have owned the car for one year. That is NOT POSSIBLE if the registered owner is a finance company. If you can persuade someone to lend you some money privately and you then use that money to buy a vehicle, registered in your name and not secured by the loan, that is a private arrangement between the two of you but I somehow doubt that your rebate will cover the rate of interest such a loan will cost you or your hospital bills should you fail to keep up the payments.
Edited by Jayman

Thanks for the confirmations..

So that means the info in this post is inaccurate?

and this

Yes, both incorrect.

Many people on finance have applied already, including my wife. And this seems to be no problem, with payment done after one year to the indicated bank account.

• Like 2

Confused ??

If you are confused go back to sleep. If you want to argue about government policy go to another forum this is about car tax rebate

Thank you for your kind advice Mister Administrator / Moderator. Why your function is not displayed under your avatar ?