First Time New Car Purchase & Bht100,000 Gov Rebate

The rebate is paid direct to the buyer, not through any third party if purchased on finance.

From the same poster " The rebate is paid to the registered owner/buyer after they have owned the car for one year. That is NOT POSSIBLE if the registered owner is a finance company."

How would the Finance company be the registered owner of the vehicle. They are giving you the finance to purchase the vehicle, which would then be registered in your name you being the purchaser.

Am I missing something here.

As far as I'm aware as far as the transport dept are concerned any loan applied to a vehicle the registered owner is the named person on the loan. This is only for registered loan companies. So they get the refund.

sent from my ..................#

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea that there's no point in shopping around and that all dealers offer the same rates, etc, is so naive I am genuinely surprised to read it even here. Dealers may not offer better deals, but that certainly doesn't mean that they aren't available even though it is currently a buyers market and one where dealers selling cars with the rebate get a higher commission (no discounts) and, if bought on finance from them, a commission from the finance company as well.

Its currently a buyer's market? How exactly? I don't see stacks of cars waiting to be purchased in showrooms, I see long waiting lists.

• Like 1

The idea that there's no point in shopping around and that all dealers offer the same rates, etc, is so naive I am genuinely surprised to read it even here. Dealers may not offer better deals, but that certainly doesn't mean that they aren't available even though it is currently a buyers market and one where dealers selling cars with the rebate get a higher commission (no discounts) and, if bought on finance from them, a commission from the finance company as well.

Its currently a buyer's market? How exactly? I don't see stacks of cars waiting to be purchased in showrooms, I see long waiting lists.

It's always a buyers market in Thailand. Every day there are few thousand new Somchai's wo are able to scrap together enough money for a downpayment on a car loan.

It will probably be their first and last car ever as they crash it the first month, or if they're lucky can bring it to the secondhand dealer because they can't afford the monthly installments anymore, but each and every day there are a few thousand new ones coming out of the boonies.

The rebate is paid direct to the buyer, not through any third party if purchased on finance.

From the same poster " The rebate is paid to the registered owner/buyer after they have owned the car for one year. That is NOT POSSIBLE if the registered owner is a finance company."

How would the Finance company be the registered owner of the vehicle. They are giving you the finance to purchase the vehicle, which would then be registered in your name you being the purchaser.

Yes you're missing something.

If you finance your car the finance company is registerd in the blue book as the owner.

Once the finance is paid off the registration is transferred.

Yeah, I seriously doubt there is such a difference.

Lets see for example a suzuki swift GLX at 559,000

The rebate for this car is 79,000

Down payment 25%, dealers rate for 48 month finance at 2,75% => cost of loan 46,117

Let's say you can negociate a better rate because you are not using the first care rebate scheme, at 2%

The cost of loan would be down to 33,540. That's only 12,577 difference.

Another example of someone NOT "doing the math".

If you (or anyone else) pays 46,117 baht interest on a loan of 419,250 which you pay back over four years in monthly instalments you are NOT paying 2.75% interest. The capital you owe should be reduced every month so if you are paying that much interest your real rate of interest is around double that. This sort of ploy is as common here as the "70% off" sales, just as deceptive, and one which most people are well aware of.

DO THE MATH - don't just take the dealer or finance company's word about the "deal" they are giving you.

Also "from the same poster" - "legally the rebate has to go to the registered owner, not to a third party". I explained this, at some length, in the 67th post in this thread. Paying the rebate to a third party is possible, but it is also technically illegal and can void the rebate. Anyone applying for a loan and rebate should read the small print first and then decide if they want to take the risk.

If you finance your car the finance company is registerd in the blue book as the owner.

As far as I'm aware as far as the transport dept are concerned any loan applied to a vehicle the registered owner is the named person on the loan. This is only for registered loan companies. So they get the refund.

sent from my ..................#

Yes, the system's pretty simple - rather like a mortgage on land, which is registered on the chanute with the lender holding the chanute until the loan has been re-paid or the buyer defaults. Its hardly rocket-science.

I think we're going in circles here...

Agreed, its all becoming rather pointless.

Jayman, the bottom line is that if you and your wife were planning on buying a Suzuki Swift on finance for her anyway, and hanging on to it for a while, you will probably get a good deal if she qualifies for the rebate. Swifts qualify for a particularly high rebate (around 80,000 baht, which is 4 times more than some similarly priced or more expensive vehicles), Suzuki dealers are reputed to be the most difficult to get discounts and deals from, and they are also difficult to get independent finance for (so you usually have to take whatever rate they offer, whatever they claim it to be).

For most others, it is far from the great deal that some here are insistent on portraying it as.

As always, DO THE MATH YOURSELF.

• Like 1

For most others, it is far from the great deal that some here are insistent on portraying it as.

It has no influence at all on finance conditions, on deals the dealer offers, etc. The only restriction important in this light is that one can not sell the car for 5 years.

It must be in this topic somewhere, but I missed it.

Who gets the rebate after 12 months, if the car has been financed with any finance company.

The finance company or the borrower.

The reason I ask, is that my Thai brother inlaw purchased a Nissan March from the dealer in Lop Buri.

He paid the deposit, went through a finance company and filled out the tax rebate form and handed it in to the Tax Excise dept in Lop Buri.

He was told he would receive the rebate on the vehicle and it would be paid into his account.

He had to fill out a form there with his name and bank details on it for the money to be deposited into his account.

So does someone here really know?

Edited by OZEMADE

It must be in this topic somewhere, but I missed it.

Who gets the rebate after 12 months, if the car has been financed with any finance company.

The finance company or the borrower.

The reason I ask, is that my Thai brother inlaw purchased a Nissan March from the dealer in Lop Buri.

He paid the deposit, went through a finance company and filled out the tax rebate form and handed it in to the Tax Excise dept in Lop Buri.

He was told he would receive the rebate on the vehicle and it would be paid into his account.

He had to fill out a form there with his name and bank details on it for the money to be deposited into his account.

So does someone here really know?

I "think" your BIL is going to get paid the rebate directly into the account he provided the tax excise office. And he is the legal owner of the vehicle and the first time car buyer. Just because he financed the car doesn't mean he's not the owner. It just means that the finance company has a claim on the vehicle till it's paid off.

Jayman said

I "think" your BIL is going to get paid the rebate directly into the account he provided the tax excise office. And he is the legal owner of the vehicle and the first time car buyer. Just because he financed the car doesn't mean he's not the owner. It just means that the finance company has a claim on the vehicle till it's paid off.

Thanks Jayman. I thought that was the case, but it gets a bit confusing at time on here.

Jayman said

Thanks Jayman. I thought that was the case, but it gets a bit confusing at time on here.

Yes, it will go straight to him. Unfortunately there are 1 or 2 persons here confusing the issue.

• Like 1

It has no influence at all on finance conditions, on deals the dealer offers, etc. The only restriction important in this light is that one can not sell the car for 5 years.

So you say - as I'm sure your wife (who has never owned or bought a car before) told you and as I'm equally sure the dealer (who is getting a full commission for selling a car with no discount) told her.

Every vehicle purchased under the scheme has to be bought and invoiced at list price; this is a basic condition of the scheme in order to keep calculating the rebate relatively simple. If you were correct no dealers in Thailand can have sold any new car under 1600cc or any pick up listed at under one million baht with ANY discount since the scheme was introduced, nearly one year ago, whether the sale was under the scheme, for cash, financed, or had nothing to do with the scheme at all. This is clearly NOT the case as a range of discounts ARE widely available from most dealers for most makes (including cars under 1600cc and pick ups under one million baht) - all anyone wanting to check this has to do is go into a dealer themselves and see what discounts and deals are available (although they may not be offered and may take some negotiation).

The only legal "restriction" on a purchase under the scheme is the five year period during which the vehicle cannot be sold (although this may be under review for new purchasers) - agreed. If that is all you considered "important" when buying your wife's car that was up to you, but for anyone else thinking of buying under the scheme in a Thai name there are a number of other considerations they should be aware of and which (IMHO) are "important" to consider; these include the direct extra cost of buying a vehicle at list price (mandatory under the scheme) when discounts and deals ARE available which alone can be equal to or more than the rebate.

It is NOT just a question of balancing the amount of the rebate against the five years before the car can be sold, which is why the scheme has had relatively few takers so far. DO THE MATH and shop around - just because one person was told he couldn't get a discount and accepted that doesn't mean that others can't. If you can't be bothered to (or its not worth the headache from the Thai wife who insists its a real money-saver with few drawbacks) that may be part of "the math" too.

So you say - as I'm sure your wife (who has never owned or bought a car before) told you and as I'm equally sure the dealer (who is getting a full commission for selling a car with no discount) told her.

Every vehicle purchased under the scheme has to be bought and invoiced at list price; this is a basic condition of the scheme in order to keep calculating the rebate relatively simple. If you were correct no dealers in Thailand can have sold any new car under 1600cc or any pick up listed at under one million baht with ANY discount since the scheme was introduced, nearly one year ago, whether the sale was under the scheme, for cash, financed, or had nothing to do with the scheme at all. This is clearly NOT the case as a range of discounts ARE widely available from most dealers for most makes (including cars under 1600cc and pick ups under one million baht) - all anyone wanting to check this has to do is go into a dealer themselves and see what discounts and deals are available (although they may not be offered and may take some negotiation).

The only legal "restriction" on a purchase under the scheme is the five year period during which the vehicle cannot be sold (although this may be under review for new purchasers) - agreed. If that is all you considered "important" when buying your wife's car that was up to you, but for anyone else thinking of buying under the scheme in a Thai name there are a number of other considerations they should be aware of and which (IMHO) are "important" to consider; these include the direct extra cost of buying a vehicle at list price (mandatory under the scheme) when discounts and deals ARE available which alone can be equal to or more than the rebate.

It is NOT just a question of balancing the amount of the rebate against the five years before the car can be sold, which is why the scheme has had relatively few takers so far. DO THE MATH and shop around - just because one person was told he couldn't get a discount and accepted that doesn't mean that others can't. If you can't be bothered to (or its not worth the headache from the Thai wife who insists its a real money-saver with few drawbacks) that may be part of "the math" too.

As I said, "Unfortunately there are 1 or 2 persons here confusing the issue."

• Like 1

If there is a 7 month waiting list to get a new car, why would they be offering discounts? I could see them offering discounts on old inventory that won't sell but most of the cars any actually wants to buy here require a wait.

I've never heard about discounts on listed price in thailand, it seemed to me that you can only negociate the amount of freebees available.

So you're seriously saying that you don't think anyone who has bought a new car in Thailand has ever got a discount?

Unbelievable.

If there is a 7 month waiting list to get a new car, why would they be offering discounts? I could see them offering discounts on old inventory that won't sell but most of the cars any actually wants to buy here require a wait.

jayman, the reason for the current prolonged delivery time is not to increased demand but the delays in production due to the flood. Its temporary.

Dealers are still competing for orders not only among makes/brands but also among same-brand dealers, and they always will be - those who can offer a discount will get a reduced commission, but it is one of the few things that attracts buyers to one dealer rather than another and increase the number of sales they make and commissions they get. When I bought my last car, for example, I was offered different discounts/deals at the the five dealers I went to, for an identical vehicle with identical delivery times; two of the five told me that no discounts were ever available (proven incorrect by the other three). Some people can't be bothered to spend the time and effort required just to get a discount of 20,000 to 40,000 baht on an 800,000 baht vehicle; their choice.

1 or 2 people here seem either incapable of getting similar discounts/deals or to choose to deny that they even exist, for reasons I see no point in going into. This is not so much confusing as deliberately misleading - instead of paying attention to what those 1 or 2 have never heard of or what seems to them to be the case all you or anyone else needs to do is visit a selection of dealers, get taken seriously by them instead of by others on TV, and see for yourself.

Valete

Edited by LeCharivari

So you're seriously saying that you don't think anyone who has bought a new car in Thailand has ever got a discount?

Unbelievable.

No, I am saying that I had never heard abount discounts and that you could only negociate freebees.

Oh wait that's exactly what I wrote. Next time use your finger and slowly read the words before quoting them.

Anyway why would that be unbelievable? At the beginning of the year I was looking at pick up trucks, and I visited a few dealerships. Toyota and Isuzu : no way I could get a discount, not even free insurance for isuzu. Ford and Mazda had so much orders that their factories couldn't cope with the demand so obviously discounts were not available.

Then my interest shifted on eco cars and it was the same for mitsubishi and suzuki.

During that time I pretty much read ALL the posts in the forum concerning those vehicles and yeah, I've never read about someone getting a discount on those. Oh wait, some dude got a 5000 bath discount on a fortuner but without free insurance. Another one got a 8000 bath discount on a outdated triton. Far from what you are claiming.

Imo, you are either

- an awesome negociator

- a liar

- a proud owner of a car that nobody would ever buy hence the hefty discount.

jayman, the reason for the current prolonged delivery time is not to increased demand but the delays in production due to the flood. Its temporary.

Who cares if you could get a discount in 2 years when production is back to normal? All successful cars have currently a very long waiting list.

Some people can't be bothered to spend the time and effort required just to get a discount of 20,000 to 40,000 baht on an 800,000 baht vehicle; their choice.

Some people are DOING THE MATH as you love to say and are making more money than a hypotetical discount while confortably working from their home instead of wasting their time visiting tons of dealerships for days. Their choice.

Edited by pistachios

it all depends what cars you are looking at. Several examples:

4 years ago i was looking to get 3 company cars, choice: either Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Went to both...Toyota - 2,000 Discount and a few freebies...(i was quickly out of arrogant Toyota), Honda - 15,000 discount and more freebies.

I got an excellent deal 5 years ago on my wifes Nissan Xtrail - instead of about 1.35m, I paid about 1.17m, nearly 200K discount and was over the moon. Yes, a one of and lucky, but anyway sometimes we get lucky.

I pushed Skoda to a discount on the Fabia vRS of about 70,000 Baht.

Again, indeed models which are not popular in Thailand have more margin for negotiations.

Toyota is very stubborn, Honda usually as well. Mazda and Ford give a bit more.

But yes, in general you don't get big discounts, I negotiated this year a 20% discount in Germany for my sisters car. New Ford Focus ST, now this is a good feeling, which we i guess will never get here in Thailand....so be it.

1 or 2 people here seem either incapable of getting similar discounts/deals or to choose to deny that they even exist, for reasons I see no point in going into.

The problem here is you come up with new arguments time and time again, arguments that are simply untrue.

Of course it is possible to get a good deal from the dealer and be eligible for the rebate.

• 2 weeks later...

If we can stop the pissing contest temporarily, anyone know where to get a full list of rebates? Gf getting a new jazz delivered next month but not filled in the claim yet. There seems to be a massive disparity in rebates, not necessarily reflected in the price.

• 3 weeks later...

Some up to date info on the rebate

My GF just received the rebate into her account as follows

We drove the Ford Fiesta 1.4 Automatic out of the showroom on 25 November 2011

The car is financed for 3 years, she paid 25% downpayment

The rebate she received is 100,000 baht

She received an SMS message to tell her the money was in her account

The office that gives the rebates told her payments are being made on 5th and 20th of each month

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the cut off date for eligibility for this rebate.

My Thai wife ordered a Mazda BT50 early September but still not delivered.

Does the car have to be delivered by 31st December, 2012.?

If it is delivered but still on red plates at cutoff date is she still eligible?

Thanks as I getting conflicting information.

The car just need to have been ordered before 31st december, but you need to do the application before this date to the relevant office.

Whats the application that needs to be made? We ordered a car in August but haven't done anything re: the rebate.

The car just need to have been ordered before 31st december, but you need to do the application before this date to the relevant office.

Whats the application that needs to be made? We ordered a car in August but haven't done anything re: the rebate.

You need to go to the government office that handles the rebates.

My wife tried to submit papers soon after we took delivery of our truck. They sent her away & told her to come back once we had copies of the blue book.

My wife tried to submit papers soon after we took delivery of our truck. They sent her away & told her to come back once we had copies of the blue book.

Thanks, I'll be following up tomorrow with some friends who got their new car. See what they say.

You have to register that you ordered the car before 31st december.

I don't know exactly in which office you can do that, in my case, there was some kind of event at the suzuki dealership with a government stand. We filled a form a gave them a copy of the order slip. We were told to show them the blue book to finalize the procedure when we receive the car next year.

By the way, we asked the government officer if a purchase with a finance company was compatible with the rebate plan, of course it is was the reply, and the rebate will be paid fully one year later (and not 20k/year as someone was implying).