Tutsi'S Bolognaise; Ground Beef At Tescos!

tutsiwarrior

and here we are at the local small tescos for the weekly shop and while passing the packaged meat shelf there was ground beef! and I had never seen it before! and then I went into action; got some canned tomatoes and garlic and onions that I had anyway...and some tagliatelle...

and then when we got home and unpacking the groceries the little niece smelled the ground beef in confusion and said: 'arai?...she had never seen ground beef before...

and then I set about the bolognaise preparation; from scratch: olive oil (regular not virgin), garlic, onions and then added the ground beef and sauteed for a while and then 2 large cans of tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste and then simmer for an hour...I also had an unopened container of italian seasoning that I had bought in England and then dosed liberally...

near the end adjust with salt and pepper and tabasco and it was superb...boil the tagliatelle and mix and out of this world...

so, don't allow the stinkin' sweet Prego pasta sauce to dominate yer universe...get some ground beef and make yer own!

bon apetit...

• Like 1

and yeah...I had 4 cans of tomatoes that had been on the shelf for over 2 years but could never do anything with them and then I got the 9 month pregnant step daughter to investigate the 'sell by dates' stamped on the cans and she was alarmed and she said: 'mai dai! mai dai!' and I had to discard 4 cans of tomatoes...

but I had bought 2 new cans for the sauce and then everything was cool...the availability of the ground beef raised new premonitions...

ground beef is revealed as a significant factor in a small town in Thailand...

Beef, a meat cleaver and fresh tomatoes work just as well. Salt, pepper and fresh horapa (sweet basil - available in local markets, but grows wild in my back yard along with kapow (holy basil)) replaces the the dried seasoning. Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for about two minutes and then immerse then in ice water to remove the skins. I live in a village in the sticks but there is a beef vendor at the weekly market in the nearby town, but no grinder. I use the cleaver to mince it, works great.

Beef, a meat cleaver and fresh tomatoes work just as well. Salt, pepper and fresh horapa (sweet basil - available in local markets, but grows wild in my back yard along with kapow (holy basil)) replaces the the dried seasoning. Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for about two minutes and then immerse then in ice water to remove the skins. I live in a village in the sticks but there is a beef vendor at the weekly market in the nearby town, but no grinder. I use the cleaver to mince it, works great.

excellent, excellent, in true pioneering spirit when the basic ingredients are available...

I useta have a really nice meat grinder until someone lost the little cutting blade and then I thought about having the perpetrator mince the beef by hand as punishment...but she has her hands full with the kids and is 9 months pregnant...

I gotta try that business with the toms in the boiling water and there are plenty of recipes on the net for tomato sauce...but I've never seen anything resembling basil at the market?

wayned, your advice is truly inspirational...and I'm serious...

and yeah...I had 4 cans of tomatoes that had been on the shelf for over 2 years but could never do anything with them and then I got the 9 month pregnant step daughter to investigate the 'sell by dates' stamped on the cans and she was alarmed and she said: 'mai dai! mai dai!' and I had to discard 4 cans of tomatoes...

but I had bought 2 new cans for the sauce and then everything was cool...the availability of the ground beef raised new premonitions...

As we do not know where you live I was just stating a fact - a trip to a big town with a BigC and you can eat mince beef all day.

You may have thrown out perfectly good tomatoes as the tinning process is very good at preserving the contents and the sell-by date means nothing (actually it's the use-by date that is the most important). A few years ago some historians discovered canned corned beef from one of the World wars (forget which one) and when opened the contents were perfectly edible.

You can also use ground pork or ground chicken which I find is available more often than beef in my local Tescos

yeah...I tried using the ground pork but it has too much fat...could maybe do a 50/50 pork/chicken mixture?...

I make it with hotdog sausages for my youngster.

I might add that I make it with macaroni or penne and put it into a pie dish with grated cheese on the top and a slice of tomato and then it goes in the toaster oven thing . He loves it .

Edited by onionluke

You can also use ground pork or ground chicken which I find is available more often than beef in my local Tescos

yeah...I tried using the ground pork but it has too much fat...could maybe do a 50/50 pork/chicken mixture?...

I might add that I make it with macaroni or penne and put it into a pie dish with grated cheese on the top and a slice of tomato and then it goes in the toaster oven thing . He loves it .

an appealing variation of the classic recipe...

It's not really Spaghetti Bolonaise then is it?

French fella who lives behind me uses pork. He goes up to Makro for it because it has a lower fat content than Tesco which is minutes away and I imagine he drains the mince after browning. Whatever he does it works because it's very good.

French fella who lives behind me uses pork. He goes up to Makro for it because it has a lower fat content than Tesco which is minutes away and I imagine he drains the mince after browning. Whatever he does it works because it's very good.

yeah...if you balance with the other ingredients to cut the fat, et voila...yer neighbor is very insightful or very skilled in handling the ingredients...

I've found that pork works best as a flavoring and not as a basic ingredient...a nice minced pork larb notwithstanding...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

It's not really Spaghetti Bolonaise then is it?

Nope , but for me it is all about trying to prepare some varied dishes for my son . When up country I use a mixture of garden herbs , town market vegies , village meat and assorted ingredients from the Louts . Sometimes I buy a can of cambells soup and make a sauce with that . The best ones I make are with the canned chorizo I bring over from Macau . My pardner is a fine cook but she is not comfortable with these kinds of sauces so it is down to me . Curried fish fingers anyone ?

yeah...if you balance with the other ingredients to cut the fat, et voila...yer neighbor is very insightful or very skilled in handling the ingredients...

I've found that pork works best as a flavoring and not as a basic ingredient...a nice minced pork larb notwithstanding...

Skilled I think. Month after he moved in, the few farangs here were invited around for dinner. When he said it was spag bol with pork I was very skeptical but went anyway. He's been making it every month or so for the last couple of years and the number of people who attend is getting higher and higher. In return I buy him a wedge of Camenbert because he flatly refuses to spend 300 Baht on a small wedge when a whole one is only a couple of Euros in France.

We had spag bog tonight...has to use minced lamb as ran out of beef.

yeah...minced leftover lamb would be doable in the absence of the traditional ingredients...with fresh lamb then I don't know, would not combine well with the tomatoes IMO...

As we do not know where you live I was just stating a fact - a trip to a big town with a BigC and you can eat mince beef all day.

You may have thrown out perfectly good tomatoes as the tinning process is very good at preserving the contents and the sell-by date means nothing (actually it's the use-by date that is the most important). A few years ago some historians discovered canned corned beef from one of the World wars (forget which one) and when opened the contents were perfectly edible.

well...I was just following the advice from the 9 month pregnant step daughter and it's hard to argue in those circustances...

and then the tall elegant young woman that attends at dunkin donuts appears after a months absence and gives me wink and a smile and then here we are at the bus station relaxing with a couple of pepsis and then the market woman who prepares food in the morning with the splendid backside appears and sez: 'I knew that yew were no good...' tinged with unpleasantness and possible violence and then tutsi flees in a hail of pepsi cans...and I have diabetes and high blood pressure...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

Sweet basil is available in most Thai markets that sell veggies. Just ask for "horapa" (whore-a-pa). Thais use it and is "cousin" kapow in cooking and salads regularly. The kapow has a bite (pad kapow) and the edges of the leaves are serrated while the horapa leaves are smooth on the edges

Sweet basil is available in most Thai markets that sell veggies. Just ask for "horapa" (whore-a-pa). Thais use it and is "cousin" kapow in cooking and salads regularly. The kapow has a bite (pad kapow) and the edges of the leaves are serrated while the horapa leaves are smooth on the edges

and then here is tutsi with the tomatoes and the whoreapa and the 15 y.o. niece is lending a hand...and then I say: 'if we don't do this correctly then it shall be whoreable...'...and then she sez: 'you know that I am a good student, uncle tutsi and any whore implication is deplorable...' and then she turns away and folds her arms in disgust and then tutsi collapses in supplication and promises to buy her a new mobile telephone...

it's simply amazing what 15 y.o. girls can do...

and then here is tutsi with the tomatoes and the whoreapa and the 15 y.o. niece is lending a hand...and then I say: 'if we don't do this correctly then it shall be whoreable...'...and then she sez: 'you know that I am a good student, uncle tutsi and any whore implication is deplorable...' and then she turns away and folds her arms in disgust and then tutsi collapses in supplication and promises to buy her a new mobile telephone...

Like get you locked up in the monkeyhouse for 'long time'

Like get you locked up in the monkeyhouse for 'long time'

nah...ye always want to avoid unpleasantness...and she is smart as she recognizes the relationship between unwanted pregnancies and birth control unlike the step daughter who breeds like an insect...tutsi: 'you stop that now, you hear!!??' step daughter: 'oh yeah? sez who?..'...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Oh you like eat buffalo, is all I would hear.

well...a buffalo curry is nice in concept...

tutsi to the little niece: 'go out there and kill that buffalo...godammit...'

the little niece: 'don't wanna get me hands dirty...'...

tutsi: 'then there shall be no chocolate chip cookies fer you this evening...' which was a mistake as she will always get even...

nah...ye always want to avoid unpleasantness...and she is smart as she recognizes the relationship between unwanted pregnancies and birth control unlike the step daughter who breeds like an insect...tutsi: 'you stop that now, you hear!!??' step daughter: 'oh yeah? sez who?..'...

@tutsi - the way you write, are you sure you're not putting magic mushrooms in your bolognesewhistling.gif

Only just noticed this thread but I can't see any reference to adding Anchovies (or Anchovy Essence) to the Bolog sauce before you cook it..............

Seriously, if you haven't tried it before, add a couple of finely chopped Anchovies-in-oil - or, alternatively, a teaspoon of finely chopped salted Mackerel in oil - you'll be impressed by the depth of flavour that results.

I use the same trick with meat casseroles, Chillie con Carne etc. and am frequently asked how I manage to make the dishes so tasty!

Bon Appetit.

Only just noticed this thread but I can't see any reference to adding Anchovies (or Anchovy Essence) to the Bolog sauce before you cook it..............

Seriously, if you haven't tried it before, add a couple of finely chopped Anchovies-in-oil - or, alternatively, a teaspoon of finely chopped salted Mackerel in oil - you'll be impressed by the depth of flavour that results.

I use the same trick with meat casseroles, Chillie con Carne etc. and am frequently asked how I manage to make the dishes so tasty!

Bon Appetit.

whats wrong with adding nam pla.