Baggage Tampered With.

POMCHOB

I would like to warn anyone using Airasia in Thailand

to be careful what you put in your Luggage as my wife bag had been tampered with i will get my wife to put anything of value into her hand luggage eg Perfume and cosmetics.

She has flown like myself many times with Airasia and highly recommended them and this is the first time this has happened .

we have made a complaint as stated below:

I would like to complain that my baggage had been

opened and items were missing including perfume cosmetics and other things when i claimed my

baggage at my flight destination Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport.I have been flying with

Airasia for many years and was very disappointed with this happening. I hope this can be taken seriously as it will affect passengers flying with Airasia in the future if this keeps happening.Thank-you for your kind help.

POMCHOB

Hi rebmeM ratS,

thanks for your reply, i do take your point, maybe it is an unfair comment about an Airline but they

are supposed to be in charge of looking after her baggage i just would like Airasia

to look into this as she flew with them and also to help others, it's probably Airport workers

and obviously nothing to do with Airasia staff .

but be aware that like you say it can happen to anyone on any Airline so just be careful.

BTW it was checked in luggage cheers from POMCHOB.

Be careful about carrying certain items and liquids in your hand carried luggage. They are regulated and also you are limited in amounts or they will take them or require you to leave them behind. There used to be posts warning of security people taking items away from passengers and then keeping things like perfume etc.

Good luck with your letters.

Edited by Lifer

My parents flew here on a well known Asian airline and had items stolen from their bags. Being older, they thought once they checked their bags they were safe. Obviously this is not the case as most of us know. I've had locks cut, but I don't check anything valuable...so not sure if it was a check in the US or happened enroute.

If you have something valuable, don't check it. Put it in your carry on or don't bring it. Sad, but true.

It may not be the airlines fault, could have been baggage handlers at one of the airports.

Once you have checked in your luggage it has very little to do with the airline you are travelling with but rather the airport. They provide staff to see your luggage gets to and from the aircraft. The theft will have occurred before your luggage arrived at the plane or before it arrived at the luggage collection point at your destination. It isn't the fault of the airline at all. It does though pay to let them know.

• Like 2

Once you have checked in your luggage it has very little to do with the airline you are travelling with but rather the airport. They provide staff to see your luggage gets to and from the aircraft. The theft will have occurred before your luggage arrived at the plane or before it arrived at the luggage collection point at your destination. It isn't the fault of the airline at all. It does though pay to let them know.

Exactly. More appropriate to make your complaint to the airports (at both ends) as the airport baggage handling staff (and not the airline staff) have much more chance to steal stuff than any airline personnel. It also helps to make sure to lock one's luggage and if available, do the plastic shrink-wrap thing too if you have anything of value in the bags (that you can't carry on).

A friend picked up the wrong identical case at the conveyor and only found out when his key didn't work. He was shocked when I showed him how to open the zip with a biro. We found cheque books and credit cards for a hi-so Thai lady plus a lot of cash but no contact details. Again my friend was shocked when I re-zipped the case with no sign it had been opened, we called the airport gave the ID details and arranged a bag swap.

I imagine some will ask:

• Like 2

Can you share any details re: the route? XXX-BKK?

Were these newly purchased items? Many? A few? Approx. value?

While new cosmetics and perfume are valuable and portable, making them an easy target for pilfering, they typically aren't the first things thieves are looking for in checked baggage. Usually it's portable electronics and jewelry.

Some of the really big stolen airline baggage groups in the U.S. are indeed massively organized crime efforts. I think there have been large rings recently broken up at JFK and SFO.

It is important to report these incidents to the carrier as this is sometimes the only thing that can prod them into investigating and hopefully shutting down these rings. Both the carrier and the airport operating authority are ostensibly responsible for baggage "integrity".

For the most part these are crimes of opportunity so anything you can do to make your checked bag less vulnerable, or even appear less desirable, is a plus. As is trying not to put anything of value into a checked bag.

A friend picked up the wrong identical case at the conveyor and only found out when his key didn't work. He was shocked when I showed him how to open the zip with a biro. We found cheque books and credit cards for a hi-so Thai lady plus a lot of cash but no contact details. Again my friend was shocked when I re-zipped the case with no sign it had been opened, we called the airport gave the ID details and arranged a bag swap.

I imagine some will ask:

Ugh...I saw this video a few years ago. I use to think my bag was safe with a lock. NOT! Glad you have posted this for others to see.

• Like 1

A bunch of baggage handlers where arrested for theft at the airport i worked.

They hid the goods above some toilets to have them taken home by a night team, less controls, easier to get away with the stolen items.

They eventually got caught nevertheless clap2.gif

This happens to people regardless of airline so it's unfair to single them out like that. Were these checked bags, or were they carry-on stored in bins?

cdnvic, while this does happen across airlines ( I had it with Qantas) years ago I don't think OP is singling out AirAsia rather just relating his experiences as it happened with that airline. Unfortunately and this depends on airport and contracts quite often its airport luggage staff rather than individual airline luggage staff.

My parents flew here on a well known Asian airline and had items stolen from their bags. Being older, they thought once they checked their bags they were safe. Obviously this is not the case as most of us know. I've had locks cut, but I don't check anything valuable...so not sure if it was a check in the US or happened enroute.

If you have something valuable, don't check it. Put it in your carry on or don't bring it. Sad, but true.

It may not be the airlines fault, could have been baggage handlers at one of the airports.

They are under the control of the airline...if the airline has a problem with it's contractors they should supervise them.

I imagine some will ask:

As the old saying goes " Locks only keep out the honest.." Never put anything "stealable" in your checked luggage. You may have to learn to live without a few things while traveling but, that is just part of life.

Generally thefts from baggage after check-ins are usually done by the airport handling staff. Airlines HAVE to contract their baggage handling services to the respective airports' ground handling companies.

I had my fishing rods 'lost' at one Malaysian airport, and am convinced that airport's baggage handling staff stole it. It was a bummer for me to scramble to get replacement rods so I could fish. LOL

We can 'improve' security of our soft zippered luggage by using a combo lock strap around it, and getting it shrinked wrapped before checkin. Helps, but cannot stop thefts entirely.

Not quite true, the baggage is handled by a ground agent that has been selected by the airline and has nothing to do with the Airport management, therefore it is the Airline you complain to and not the airport.

• Like 1

A bunch of baggage handlers where arrested for theft at the airport i worked.

They hid the goods above some toilets to have them taken home by a night team, less controls, easier to get away with the stolen items.

They eventually got caught nevertheless clap2.gif

did they get a paid 2 week vacation? unions are awesome. :)

A few trips ago I check my bag in in san to bkk, somehwere along the line someone opened the box I used to carry my items in, could not remove the laptop ( I had the anti theft cable attached to the transport case to keep the laptop from being taken easily ) whoever tried to remove the laptop must have gotten pissed off and poked and object ( looks like a screw driver blade may have been used) damage was from the screen through the lid going outward.

just goes to show once your property leaves your hands its open season for low lifes.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and contributing your input.

I should of worded my first sentence as follows:

"I would like to warn anyone using Airasia or ( any other other airlines) in Thailand to be careful with the checked in luggage."

Had a very quick reply from Airasia who are investigating it and will contact me which is good thing as they are now aware of it happening from my complaint.

Cheers from POMCHOBthumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and contributing your input.

I should of worded my first sentence as follows:

"I would like to warn anyone using Airasia or ( any other other airlines) in Thailand to be careful with the checked in luggage."

Had a very quick reply from Airasia who are investigating it and will contact me which is good thing as they are now aware of it happening from my complaint.

Cheers from POMCHOBthumbsup.gif

From where to where were you flying? The same warning applies worldwide.

A few trips ago I check my bag in in san to bkk, somehwere along the line someone opened the box I used to carry my items in, could not remove the laptop ( I had the anti theft cable attached to the transport case to keep the laptop from being taken easily ) whoever tried to remove the laptop must have gotten pissed off and poked and object ( looks like a screw driver blade may have been used) damage was from the screen through the lid going outward.

just goes to show once your property leaves your hands its open season for low lifes.

So you put a laptop in your checked luggage?

• Like 1

So you put a laptop in your checked luggage?

yes I did