Ayutthaya 'Will Be Submerged Again'

webfact

The question is what these guys can gain from writting such a nonsense story. Firstly last year the average rainfall was 1800 mm and the projection for this year is 1500 mm. 300 mm doesn't sound much but over the whole country it's billions of cubic metres. Secondly the Dems neglected to drain the dams last year, this year it was done. Thirdly the retentions areas will absorb much of the water. These areas are a good idea as this is the natures way prevent flooding. The consultants used a simmulation program, but any computer program = GIGA = garbage in garbage out.

And not to forget Yingluck told last year there won't be floods in Bangkok and the Minister who ordered the dams not to be drained was one of Barnharns puppets and not the Dems.

• Like 1

"In addition, plenty of flood prevention measures have been taken to block the water flow"

Outstanding, so where is the water going to go?

Maybe they are going to some more of those gigantic world record breaking pumps we have been told of previously.

I must admit it seems hard to believe there will be flooding on the scale of last year as its normally once a decade, but it's hard to ignore the heavy rains we have had, just like last year.

Given it appears the various provincial govs are working to protect their own areas and probably not coordinating their work, I see no reason why it should not all go tits up again.

• Like 1

"In addition, plenty of flood prevention measures have been taken to block the water flow"

Outstanding, so where is the water going to go?

Maybe they are going to some more of those gigantic world record breaking pumps we have been told of previously.

I must admit it seems hard to believe there will be flooding on the scale of last year as its normally once a decade, but it's hard to ignore the heavy rains we have had, just like last year.

Given it appears the various provincial govs are working to protect their own areas and probably not coordinating their work, I see no reason why it should not all go tits up again.

I didn't believe my wife last year when she started to rise walls and told me 1 meter water is coming........still we had 1.5 meter. We just prepare for 1.8 meter. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 1

Very interesting Team model study of the impacts of the current flood prevention measures. People living in Ayuttaya, in western part of Bangkok and around the industrial estates with new flood walls around, will probably not be so happy about the increased flood risk and flood depths in their areas.

Pramote Maiklad's remarks are very sensible, a large diversion channel (floodway) from Chao Phraya river upstream to the sea is the one and only viable long term solution to the annual flood problems in the areas between Ayuttaya and Bangkok. The capacity of the existng rivers and khlongs is simply too small to convey all the flood water from the North to the sea without flooding these large areas.

I think many readers of this forum would agree that the massive concrete construction called Swampy is anything but these days. In past years, I believe that area acted as a massive sponge and water retention/drainage area for the region.

• Like 1

I think many readers of this forum would agree that the massive concrete construction called Swampy is anything but these days. In past years, I believe that area acted as a massive sponge and water retention/drainage area for the region.

Yes, and it needs to be added that not only the airport is concerned, but the whole surrounding area that needs to be kept dry too. Roads to airport, surrounding infra structures. It is no use to keep airport dry, If it is an island with no access

Another big flood may be bad news for Thaksin's hopes of returning. If his cronies can't get their act together this time around, only the most brainwashed Reds will continue to support them.

but when there is a big flood they can make amnesty, as the red shirts can't travel to the demonstrations.

Blocking is the way, riiiiiight. They should build some major spillways that lead straight into the sea and divert all the oncoming water into those spillways. That's the only way. Redirecting it to other areas just causes flooding there, so what's the point??????