profidamus

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Triple O's White Spot.

Best by a country mile.

I couldn't find Triple O's. It wasn't listed on any of the directory signs either. Can someone supply directions? Thanks.

Triple 'O' White Spot is on the 7th floor of Central World - Extreme opposite side of the SF Cinema and near the Food Hall.

Triple O burger on the 7th floor of Central World is pretty good, the fries are EXCELLENT but the milkshake IS THE BEST. Milkshake is 160 baht but the chocolate one was the best I've had in years.

MOSS burger also in Central world is a Japanese burger joint that I like alot (they have tons of branches in Japan and I used to look forward to it every trip), it's a different gooey juicy style of burger but it's ###### good (although small, but not expensive)

Damian

I would agree - MOS Burger is good and at the same price point as McDonald's. The place is always busy. Triple 'O' White Spot, IMHO, is superior, but more costly; Better quality, quantity, and consistently fresh ingrediants. Service staff are wonderful also. They seem to be struggling for reasons not yet clear to me. Perhaps the cost issue, but the quality justifies the cost for me (perhaps not for Thai's, however).

Triple 'O' White Spot...They seem to be struggling for reasons not yet clear to me.

There is a recent thread on this. To summarize, Triple 'O' downsized the burger for the Thai market which has put off people in a major way. The high prices are also seen as unrealistic compared to other good burgers to be found in Bangkok. You just don't need to spend that much money for a great burger, nor have to settle for their reduced portion size.

Triple 'O' White Spot...They seem to be struggling for reasons not yet clear to me.

There is a recent thread on this. To summarize, Triple 'O' downsized the burger for the Thai market which has put off people in a major way. The high prices are also seen as unrealistic compared to other good burgers to be found in Bangkok. You just don't need to spend that much money for a great burger, nor have to settle for their reduced portion size.

Size might be an issue with those familiar with White Spot in other countries, but most locals are not and many foreigners are not (myself included). MOS burgers are much smaller than White Spot. I would agree that the cost is potentially the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried the burgers at most if not all of the places mentioned. Some are better than others but none stand out. The best burger in Bangkok is at Bully's Tavern on Sukhumvit between Soi 4 and 2 (or is it 0) which, surprisingly, has not been mentioned previously. The burger is very tasty and better than the fare offered elsewhere. There is no problem with the quality of the meat, bun or pproportions as is the case elsewhere. You eat one and want another. The burger is served dry and you add your own condiments, i.e., ketchup, mustard, etc. The downside is that Bully's skimps on the lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion that accompany the burger (although they will provide more if requested). Bully's also skimps on the amount of fries, not chips, served with the burger which are excellent lthough not enough to satisfy. Bully's will charge extra for more fries. That said, still the best burger in town.

I tried Bully's and I must admit that I thought the Burger was excellent! Much like the Big Mango. Ice cold beer too!

If there's one thing I've discovered, it's that the European and UK ideal hamburger is qualitatively different from the American ideal hamburger. Since it's one of the few things we can really claim to have invented as an industry over our short history as a nation, I'm going to stick with our version (we think McDonald's sucks too, by the way).

Just to add something substantive, I tried Mike's recently too because it's nearby work and home. Whoever said something about filler, bone and gristle was right (I nailed all three in one burger). The place has a hilariously great looking setup, it seems authentic, but the burger is bland, made up of some kind of mystery meat and just doesn't taste right. Can't imagine going back.

The fact that Burger King makes one of the more authnetic tasting hamburgers that I've had in Thailand (I've been trying burgers left and right based on this thread and word of mouth for the better part of two years) is a sad commentary not on my taste buds, but on the state of hamburgers in Thailand. I wouldn't be caught dead eating at Burger King back in Texas, but here it's the most viable, reliable alternative. The best burger I've had was still at some streetside stand in Lamai with a grill, but I can't recall the name - in the middle of a bunch of shady beer bars. The most disappointing, even though it's good by Thailand standards, is Great American Rib Company. They generally nail American comfort foods (BBQ, Quesadillas, etc) better than any other restaurant in the Kingdom, so when they produce anything that isn't best in class I'm left frowning - but this is more of a commentary on how generally fantastic their efforts are, not on their burger being bad (it's definitely edible, which is more than I can say for most burgers here).

I'll have to try Triple O, haven't had that yet.

I know who I'm going to be following in this burger thread - your post in Feb about "I'm from Texas" and the description of the burger was absolutely perfect. I'm not from Texas... LOL... but that was the perfect description of an American burger. FuddRucker's is also the best way to do burgers... though I am also partial to Tommy's and Fatburgers (typical USC alumni).

Meanwhile, I never knew about Tee Sud Isaan... so since my office is literally just around the corner I'm going to try that tonight.

Burger King at the Emporium is my usual fare but the quality varies from day to day.

Outback's burger was decent, nothing to shout about.

Roadhouse BBQ's burger was decent but overpriced. Have the smoked beef brisket instead, that's excellent.

The Burger at the Emporium Food Hall - must be the old O'Brians - exactly the opposite of On-On's perfect burger. Terrible.

Must try out some of the other recommendations in this thread...

Tee Sud Inter had a change of ownership in the last 3-6 months. I have not eaten there since then so the burger might have changed. I used to think it was pretty good and Trink wrote a few years ago that he thought it was the best in Bangkok.

I had a cheese burger today at New Light Rest. in Siam Square (next to Hardrock Cafe). It was a decent hamburger, not great, but not bad either. I have ordered it before and would definitely do so again. Good fries but not many of them. Cost for the cheeseburger was 100 baht and the hamburger is 90 baht.

They also offer Thai, Western and Chinese food. No service charge and good service usually.

Edited by farangene

Tee Sud Inter had a change of ownership in the last 3-6 months. I have not eaten there since then so the burger might have changed. I used to think it was pretty good and Trink wrote a few years ago that he thought it was the best in Bangkok.

I had a cheese burger today at New Light Rest. in Siam Square (next to Hardrock Cafe). It was a decent hamburger, not great, but not bad either. I have ordered it before and would definitely do so again. Good fries but not many of them. Cost for the cheeseburger was 100 baht and the hamburger is 90 baht.

They also offer Thai, Western and Chinese food. No service charge and good service usually.

Yup - Tee Sud Issan is no longer there, replaced by a new, modern-looking place called Sea son ing. But I ventured forth anyway.

Ordered a beef burger (they also have fish, chicken, pork burgers) - asked for cheese but still paid the same price, and a mango smoothie.

Ketchup was some Australian brand, mayonnaise was almost certainly the cheap Best Foods variant, and mustard was French's but the bottle was missing the little plastic piece which controls the flow, so I assume that the bottle had been refilled.

Bun was almost certainly a Farmhouse bun, not particularly good but cheap in any case. The onion ring was pretty good, and they also provided a bit of sliced onion, some tomato, and some of that leafy, thin lettuce (not Cos or iceberg). Fries were decent, not too thick.

The burger itself wasn't bad at all, and it was charcoal-grilled so I was reasonably happy. But it was on the small side (presumably to fit the small Farmhouse bun) and was undercooked and a bit white on the inside (probably a frozen patty) but as I kind of like rare anyhow it didn't matter much. I was pleased to have a decent burger for a change, though the bun and the size of the burger need to be larger.

Overall, I won't complain - price was 130 baht for the burger, fries, bit of salad and onion ring, plus they gave me two slices of cheese. I think that was reasonably priced but it isn't something I'd do every day even if I am a burger freak.

Notable: they actually had fajitas on the menu - almost as if they kept a lot of the old menu. Might have to try that next time around.

Yup - Tee Sud Issan is no longer there, replaced by a new, modern-looking place called Sea son ing. But I ventured forth anyway....

Notable: they actually had fajitas on the menu - almost as if they kept a lot of the old menu. Might have to try that next time around.

Glad to hear that some of the menu is sill there. The Isaan Tacos were very good I thought. Will give the new rest. a try.

Not sure what happened to the prior owners. He was talking about going back to the US for the last few years. His wife was an excellent cook (teacher at the Oriental Hotel school) and had been asked to open a rest. in Las Vegas. I think Doug had experience in running a rest. chain in California.

• 1 month later...

BEST HAMBURGER IN BANGKOK:

Unfortunately it's not always available:

The "Steak au Chevaul" at La Boulange on Soi Convent, yessir, it is a finely chopped steak (qute rare and bloody the way I like it) with a sunny-side-up fried egg on top. Delicious, with mashed potatos with that, oh boy.

Look for it on the Specials Menu, if you're lucky they might have it the day you go.

I am a bit confused about why a French restaurant does not serve "French Fries" however, this is most puzzling.

Bon appetito!

I came by to post that I noticed that Mike's on Silom is closed down now (not sure if this made the rounds). Can't say I'll be shedding a tear over that. If your entire business is "WE ARE A HAMBURGER JOINT" it seems a bit daft to spend all that money to make such a quaint looking place and then have horrible filler-burgers full of bone and gristle. The paper sign on the door says "Returning Soon!" and then has a URL that I forgot, but it was something like "theoriginal.com" - I forget.