Moving To Thailand And Planning Ahead On Where To Live

ajw1982

Hi! Been lurking here for a while, time for first post. I went travelling to Thailand after university and ended up living and working in Bangkok for a year back in 2005. Came back to the UK in 2006 with my then girlfriend / now wife (from Thailand) with a plan to make some money and head back in a year!

7 years later we're married with 2 kids and still in the UK! But, I have a plan! In a couple of years I should be able to sell my business and move to Thailand full time. Slowly realising it's a reality and starting to plan. We're trying to decide where we want to live (wife's family is in Nakhon Pathom and Bangkok and neither of us have any desire to live in either of these places).

Wife fancies Chiang Mai. Need somewhere that's close enough to international schools but don't want to live anywhere to touristy or really busy. I was thinking maybe Cha Am or somewhere a little outside of Hua Hin (as would like benefits of a quieter life with the convenience of a reasonable town / city relatively near by).

Sorry for overly long intro and I know it's a rather general question but any suggestions appreciated as I'm going to start with a blank slate and narrow it down over the next few years during trips to Thailand!

PS Places we don't to live include Phuket and Pattaya.

Cheers!

Google 'international schools in Thailand' and then you'll narrow down the places you'll be able to live and be near international schools.

When you say you don't want to live in Pattaya what about the neighbouring towns like Bang Saray or Ban Chang or even Sri Racha? I ask because the main places that have International Schools are those you have already ruled out so you might have to have a re-think.

Hi! Been lurking here for a while, time for first post. I went travelling to Thailand after university and ended up living and working in Bangkok for a year back in 2005. Came back to the UK in 2006 with my then girlfriend / now wife (from Thailand) with a plan to make some money and head back in a year!

7 years later we're married with 2 kids and still in the UK! But, I have a plan! In a couple of years I should be able to sell my business and move to Thailand full time. Slowly realising it's a reality and starting to plan. We're trying to decide where we want to live (wife's family is in Nakhon Pathom and Bangkok and neither of us have any desire to live in either of these places).

Wife fancies Chiang Mai. Need somewhere that's close enough to international schools but don't want to live anywhere to touristy or really busy. I was thinking maybe Cha Am or somewhere a little outside of Hua Hin (as would like benefits of a quieter life with the convenience of a reasonable town / city relatively near by).

Sorry for overly long intro and I know it's a rather general question but any suggestions appreciated as I'm going to start with a blank slate and narrow it down over the next few years during trips to Thailand!

PS Places we don't to live include Phuket and Pattaya.

Cheers!

For good schools, there isn't much choice outside of Bangkok. I suggest you choose a school first then find somewhere to live nearby.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Cha-Am is a very very quiet place for most of the time. Outside of the high season it often 'closes down' early - say about 10 p.m. and there is very little night life there. Rented houses can be had cheaply enough if you want to use it as a base to look around before you decide. A friendly place overall with a good mix of Europeans about but mainly of retirement age.

Weekends tend to be a lot busier when the Thai 'invasion' tends to happen, especially at holiday times.

Hua Hin has more life in it by a long way and is only 20 KMs away.

Anyway, good luck in your search.

Don't plan just come and drift around for awhile, everywhere has some thing different to offer or som thing lacking. Sure if you go on the road for a bit of time a place will just feel right. Jim

Thanks. Might do that. Only consideration is schooling for the kids. But might base family in Chiang Mai (as wife has friends there) and do a bit of travelling to see what feels right! Certainly don't want to rush it as it's an important decision!

Thanks guys. Yeah the school thing really is the issue. It's why I'm probably thinking Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. Reason for not moving to Bangkok... had enough of London / big cities. Pattaya... honestly I've never been but wife has a negative opinion of it... and she's the real decision maker ;)

Thanks guys. Yeah the school thing really is the issue. It's why I'm probably thinking Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. Reason for not moving to Bangkok... had enough of London / big cities. Pattaya... honestly I've never been but wife has a negative opinion of it... and she's the real decision maker ;)

Don't write Bangkok off. There are some lovely peaceful neighbourhoods and the choice of schools outside of Bangkok is awful. You could live in the suburbs and send your kids to Harrow.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah the school thing really is the issue. It's why I'm probably thinking Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. Reason for not moving to Bangkok... had enough of London / big cities. Pattaya... honestly I've never been but wife has a negative opinion of it... and she's the real decision maker wink.png

Don't write Bangkok off. There are some lovely peaceful neighbourhoods and the choice of schools outside of Bangkok is awful. You could live in the suburbs and send your kids to Harrow.

I do think I may need some kind of base in Bangkok as I know I'll ultimately want to start up another business and will need easy access to Singapore, HK etc. But also want to try and extricate myself from big cities and chasing £££.

I guess I sound a bit confused, which is why I'm trying to work things through early on.

Thanks guys. Yeah the school thing really is the issue. It's why I'm probably thinking Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. Reason for not moving to Bangkok... had enough of London / big cities. Pattaya... honestly I've never been but wife has a negative opinion of it... and she's the real decision maker wink.png

I do think I may need some kind of base in Bangkok as I know I'll ultimately want to start up another business and will need easy access to Singapore, HK etc. But also want to try and extricate myself from big cities and chasing .

I guess I sound a bit confused, which is why I'm trying to work things through early on.

If your plan is to work less and spend more time with family, that is just as possible in Bangkok as anywhere else here. The time you will save commuting to and from Bangkok (and onwards) will actually give you more leisure time.

One other important lesson that I learnt about Thailand, having moved from the UK (also London) is that given the heat (and mosquitoes) here you don't want your kids playing outside all day.

Bangkok has by far the best choice of indoor activities, especially the big malls that are perfect for a family day out with shopping, food, play-areas for kids, bowling, cinemas, swimming-pools, aquariums, etc.

Edited by brit1984

I do think I may need some kind of base in Bangkok as I know I'll ultimately want to start up another business and will need easy access to Singapore, HK etc. But also want to try and extricate myself from big cities and chasing .

If your plan is to work less and spend more time with family, that is just as possible in Bangkok as anywhere else here. The time you will save commuting to and from Bangkok (and onwards) will actually give you more leisure time.

One other important lesson that I learnt about Thailand, having moved from the UK (also London) is that given the heat (and mosquitoes) here you don't want your kids playing outside all day.

Bangkok has by far the best choice of indoor activities, especially the big malls that are perfect for a family day out with shopping, food, play-areas for kids, bowling, cinemas, swimming-pools, aquariums, etc.

So you move across the world to get access to shoppingmalls?whistling.gif Have you ever driven into BKK at 8-9 am and seen the cloud of polution lying like a carpet over the city?sick.gif Making it a not very healthy place for anyone, especially not for the kids. As for the heat the same temperature feels much more sufficating in Bkk, than it does in Hua Hin (Cha Am), where the seabreeze makes even high temperatures bearable. As for the mosquitoes, you get used to them.thumbsup.gif

So you move across the world to get access to shoppingmalls?whistling.gif Have you ever driven into BKK at 8-9 am and seen the cloud of polution lying like a carpet over the city?sick.gif Making it a not very healthy place for anyone, especially not for the kids. As for the heat the same temperature feels much more sufficating in Bkk, than it does in Hua Hin (Cha Am), where the seabreeze makes even high temperatures bearable. As for the mosquitoes, you get used to them.thumbsup.gif

I can't drive and rarely get out of bed before ten so no I haven't "driven into BKK at 8-9 am and seen the cloud of polution lying like a carpet over the city". I don't deny it is an issue though.

I doubt I will ever get used to mosquitoes and I am not sure how doing so would be a good idea.

Regardless, if you live in Bangkok you can still visit Hua Hin at the weekends, or jump on a plane to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

My reasons for moving to Bangkok were not shopping mall related. In fact, I have found living in Bangkok to be very similar to living in London.

Where do you live by the way?

Edited by brit1984

I can't drive and rarely get out of bed before ten so no I haven't "driven into BKK at 8-9 am and seen the cloud of polution lying like a carpet over the city". I don't deny it is an issue though.

I doubt I will ever get used to mosquitoes and I am not sure how doing so would be a good idea.

Regardless, if you live in Bangkok you can still visit Hua Hin at the weekends, or jump on a plane to Chiang Mai, Phuket, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.

My reasons for moving to Bangkok were not shopping mall related. In fact, I have found living in Bangkok to be very similar to living in London.

Where do you live by the way?

I'm living in just outside of London in Hertfordshire and commuting to London every day for work (round the Farringdon area). I do kind of see your point about Bangkok and activities etc. but having lived there for a year previously (albeit with no kids) I found it can be really great but also quite noisy, stressful and polluted etc. (although I do take your point about living in the suburbs).

One reason for moving to Thailand is to get a bit of a quieter life, like people that move out of London to Brighton or wherever... but I prefer Thailand to Brighton ;) That said it's definitely nice to have a bit of civilisation around... but I think Bangkok may be a bit too much!

Plan - Financial Plan !!!

Definitely! It's all based on selling my company which is on course for a 3 - 5 year planned exit. Would mean I'd be able to live comfortably in Thailand without working for quite some time. But not the sort of person who likes sitting around and doing nothing so am also looking at viable options... one of which is rolling out a similar version of my current company in Asia which is doable (already doing business in Asia, including Thailand).

All the good quality true international schools (top 7?) that I know of are all in or around Bangkok, suburban lifestyle is OK. You also can be within driving distance of the schools around Pattaya/Phuket; Chiang Mai's aren't as good, and then there's the smoke.

Just depends on how important the kids education is to you - if really very very, then IMO the best ISs in Thailand are still a bit of compromise.

All the good quality true international schools (top 7?) that I know of are all in or around Bangkok, suburban lifestyle is OK. You also can be within driving distance of the schools around Pattaya/Phuket; Chiang Mai's aren't as good, and then there's the smoke.

Just depends on how important the kids education is to you - if really very very, then IMO the best ISs in Thailand are still a bit of compromise.

Thanks. I'd say it's important but not super important. I want them to get an education but it's not the be all and end all... mostly want them to be happy and away from a lot of the pressure and stresses associated with the UK education system (although I do appreciate that the UK system is overall really good when taken in the context of other places around the world).

What are Thai schools like? Main issue is that my son is a little too English at the moment ("sawadee krap" in a South English accent doesn't sound right!) despite me banging on at my wife to teach him. Daughter is only 7 months so there's some hope for her now my Thai is much better.

Thanks. I'd say it's important but not super important. I want them to get an education but it's not the be all and end all... mostly want them to be happy and away from a lot of the pressure and stresses associated with the UK education system (although I do appreciate that the UK system is overall really good when taken in the context of other places around the world).

What are Thai schools like? Main issue is that my son is a little too English at the moment ("sawadee krap" in a South English accent doesn't sound right!) despite me banging on at my wife to teach him. Daughter is only 7 months so there's some hope for her now my Thai is much better.

The school issue is really an age of child issue, type of school. We live about as far out as you can get, but the kids go to a Government pre school that would put most western ones to shame. It's what I refer to as an invite school, you have to be asked to attend. Teacher ratios about 1 to 10, play areas that make McDonald's look cheap, 25 seat Merc bus. Not a school for the un connected Thai, but still Government funded.

My kids will just follow the school chain up until Uni. They may go in Thailand or overseas or both as they wholed Thai, OZ and UK passports, up to them, but we live in Thailand, make our living in Thailand and there future at this point may be brighter in Thailand.

As for a natural fear of the kids losing English as a first language, it will happen, but computers and TV will keep them up to speed and a little home teaching is all that is needed. Jim

I'll join the the chorus of voices saying Bangkok is your only real choice if a good international school is what you are after. There are options in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and Rayong, but they're not of the same quality as the best in Bangkok. I am not aware of any true International schools in the Cha-am/Hua Hin area.

The school issue is really an age of child issue, type of school. We live about as far out as you can get, but the kids go to a Government pre school that would put most western ones to shame. It's what I refer to as an invite school, you have to be asked to attend. Teacher ratios about 1 to 10, play areas that make McDonald's look cheap, 25 seat Merc bus. Not a school for the un connected Thai, but still Government funded.

My kids will just follow the school chain up until Uni. They may go in Thailand or overseas or both as they wholed Thai, OZ and UK passports, up to them, but we live in Thailand, make our living in Thailand and there future at this point may be brighter in Thailand.

As for a natural fear of the kids losing English as a first language, it will happen, but computers and TV will keep them up to speed and a little home teaching is all that is needed. Jim

All sounds good or should I say looks good, but what's the quality of the teaching like, and what curriculum do they follow? Both points are more important than Mercedes mini-buses and posh playgrounds.

As for losing English as the first language, that won't happen in an English or American curriculum international school, and that is what you should be looking at, especially if you have serious aspirations for them to go to a western university.

All sounds good or should I say looks good, but what's the quality of the teaching like, and what curriculum do they follow? Both points are more important than Mercedes mini-buses and posh playgrounds.

As for losing English as the first language, that won't happen in an English or American curriculum international school, and that is what you should be looking at, especially if you have serious aspirations for them to go to a western university.

Freind of mine went to Cambridge, as think as pig shit, did some crap degree. Left and the old boys club made sure he went from graduate to high flyer in no time. Know Thais who graduated from Thai universities and were sent to do post grad work in OZ , at Government expense. A good education means you lean something a great education means you are in the inner circle. That's true of everywhere in the world. Jim

It's an age old debate I have with my brothers... my parents spent a load on our education, we went to good universities etc. and have good jobs but also have a lot of friends who went to rubbish schools (by English standards), got into average universities and are doing just as well. Obviously there's the bad examples from both backgrounds but I buy into the home environment contributing a lot as well.

On the one hand, due to my upbringing and the way society is in the UK, I think education is important. But on the flip side one reason I want to move to Thailand is to extricate myself from the current pressures... e.g. tunnel vision on study hard, pass exams, get a job, work hard, chase money etc. OK, that's necessary to get me to where I want to be but I want to be able to enjoy the money and relax a bit in life, and try and give my kids a balance between the two... if any of that makes any sense!

Regardless, appreciate all the inputs from you guys as it's already helped to crystallise some of the realities. From what you guys have said and what my wife wants it looks like it's probably a choice between Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Hua Hin.

Obviously I'd need to do far more research but from the below links it looks like I'd have options that are more or less acceptable to me in these places (also a school called Somtawin in Hua Hin??). Will have to check Chiang Rai out as well, but if moving north Chiang Mai would probably be fine.

http://www.embracechiangmai.com/index.php?page=schools

Freind of mine went to Cambridge, as think as pig shit, did some crap degree. Left and the old boys club made sure he went from graduate to high flyer in no time. Know Thais who graduated from Thai universities and were sent to do post grad work in OZ , at Government expense. A good education means you lean something a great education means you are in the inner circle. That's true of everywhere in the world. Jim

I hope your children get the best possible education, but I think you'd be misguided to place all your faith in getting them into the back-slapping old boys brigade, even in Thailand.

Personally, i'd go for ensuring they achieve academic excellence, and they stand the best chance of that in a true international school.

I hope your children get the best possible education, but I think you'd be misguided to place all your faith in getting them into the back-slapping old boys brigade, even in Thailand.

Personally, i'd go for ensuring they achieve academic excellence, and they stand the best chance of that in a true international school.

Think they will go to the same back slapping Uni the wife went to. or maybe not. It will be their choice as they get older. Have family in the UK and OZ if they want they can stay there for their for later years of high school and pick a Uni then. I make no guesses as to what the world will be like in years to come, but at this point all roads point to a booming Asia. Education or not, better to be rich or powerful in Asia then poor in the west. Many people driving cabs with good degrees in western nations and millionaires popping up all over Asia. Up to Buddha, all I can give them is the opportunity. Jim

OP,

I am in a similar situation, living in the UK with 2 kids & a Thai wife.

Although I think I am a few years older than you.

I often think about moving to Thailand, currently the following things have stopped me.

1. Education.

My children are British, this isn't about their passports it is how they feel about themselves.

I know a few kids & adults Thai/American (Living in Thailand), Japanese/English who are messed up.

They seem unhappy because they don't really understand or fit into a culture.

In the case of the Thai / American kid, he would be much happier living in the States, rather than a rural village in Thailand.

In the case of the Japanese / English they often struggle in Japan, and want to return to the West.

Knowing my kids, if we move to Thailand the only option I would consider is a full International School.

That isn't to say that this is the best, or only option for everyone, as every child & family is different.

For some a Thai education will be best, for others a Bilingual school may be the best option.

2. Finances.

International school fees are £10,000 per child, per year.

With 2 kids £20k a year for 13 years is a lot of money.

Family Medical Insurance is also expensive.

I can't legally work in Thailand, so I have to be sure I can support the family with income from my investments in the UK.

(Worst case you have to be prepared to walk away from any investment you make in Thailand).

Maybe I am too cautious in my approach, but we won't be moving to Thailand until I am sure that we will never have to struggle financially.

Because I never want to be forced into returning to the UK to work when I am in my 50's or 60's.

Other people will be more relaxed about some of these things, but this is my personal view.

Moving back to your original question, we visited a few places & did some research about schools & where to live as a family in Thailand.

Bangkok. Too big, too busy, not for us. Best options for schooling.

Chiang Mai. City is not as pretty or scenic as we expected, nice housing in the surrounding countryside. Good options for schooling.

Hua Hin / Cha Am. Nice & clean, just the right size, good options for housing, No suitable options for schooling.

Phuket. Some good housing options in the center of the Island, although you have to pay a premium. Main Int School looked good but expensive, though more schools are now opening.

Chiang Rai. Nice city, just the right size for us. They have a new International School though I am not sure of the standard.

• Like 2

When I retire I'm heading for the Pak Chong/Khao Yai area of Nakorn Ratchasima. Stunning scenery, quite well developed but not spoiled with enough to keep me entertained, Close to BKK for "big city" trips and about 3 hours from my wife's hometown of Khon Kaen. That'll do me.

I note there's an international school in the area following the British curriculum and one in Saraburi ( about an hour ) following the American one. Maybe not "Bangkok standards" but not Bangkok prices either. My niece and nephew attended the Saraburi one and are now studying their BA's in the States.

Plan - Financial Plan !!!

think long and hard before you decide,you need to read the sad story of murgatroyd[going home] 25years it took me to decide although i could afford to move earlier,the wife had a good job in the uk.so she decided when i reached retirement age we will move to los.after looking for somewhere away from the tourist area's we came to like korat and dont regret it.

All the good quality true international schools (top 7?) that I know of are all in or around Bangkok, suburban lifestyle is OK. You also can be within driving distance of the schools around Pattaya/Phuket; Chiang Mai's aren't as good, and then there's the smoke. Just depends on how important the kids education is to you - if really very very, then IMO the best ISs in Thailand are still a bit of compromise.

How old are the kids?

I personally believe that if they are still quite young, then if the parents are happy and spend a lot of time give a lot of positive energy/attention the kids will be happy.

If they are older then their school and most importantly their peers loom larger.

Except for the top true international schools - where a reasonable percentage of the students are actually from overseas and the administration is actually farang, all the rest that market themselves as "international" are actually just Thai schools in practice, with a veneer "English programme" - I have experience as a teacher in both types, and believe me the quality of the overall education in the latter is really really poor.

There may well be exceptions, but this website hasn't yielded informed recommendations when I've asked for them in recent weeks.

Success is defined by rote memorization and regurgitation on multiple-choice exams. Administration and teachers have little actual clue about fostering independent critical thinking and in fact the social culture strongly discourages it, as god forbid the teachers ever lose face. Grades don't reflect student performance as much as what the administration wants the curve to look like, so successful students are the ones that are truly self-motivated, and most don't even know what that would look like, 99% try to coast on the minimum required, which for a bright child is practically nothing at all.

Huge blocks of time are wasted on ceremonies celebrating Thai traditions, marching and singing school songs, performances to show parents how great the school is.

Foreign teachers are largely ignored by management, again god forbid TPTB lose face by accepting any "outside" advice, and in fact since very few of the Thai teachers even in the "English/International" programs have even a reasonable skill level in English they will avoid interaction as much as possible lest their failings be exposed to others.

I'm sorry the picture painted is so grim, and as I said I'd love to hear of exceptions - individual farang teachers make a huge difference where the rubber meets the road, but this is mostly in spite of not helped by the school management. For me so far the only decent options are the handful of true international schools around Bangkok, and they run half a million plus (extra programme/excursion fees, transportation costs) per child.

Anything less will be a huge compromise, but of course many parents are willing to make those in order to accommodate their own choices in life.

• Like 2

My wife and I have never had kids, unfortunately. However, for what it is worth, I believe firmly that the genuine happiness of the parents is the most important thing in any family. I am reminded of this every time I fly, and the safety announcement says that, in the event of an emergency, be sure to put your own oxygen mask on first, before attending to the needs of kids and others who need help.

If you and your wife are not genuinely happy, no regrets, no hardships, etc, the kids will not be happy. For what it's worth!