Moving To Thailand And Planning Ahead On Where To Live

ajw1982

My wife and I have never had kids, unfortunately. However, for what it is worth, I believe firmly that the genuine happiness of the parents is the most important thing in any family. I am reminded of this every time I fly, and the safety announcement says that, in the event of an emergency, be sure to put your own oxygen mask on first, before attending to the needs of kids and others who need help.

If you and your wife are not genuinely happy, no regrets, no hardships, etc, the kids will not be happy. For what it's worth!

Keep in mind that the parents of the non-farang kids (by far the majority at these schools, even most of the top ones) have absolutely no patience with this western obsession with "happiness".

The kids are driven driven driven to succeed at school and then in increasing the wealth of the family.

That is all.

No sleepovers, no "free time" to hang around and play, it's work work work all the time, after school tutoring, weekend full schedule learning, I have students where all the kids are woken up at 3am to study with Mum reviewing homework and preparing for the day's lessons.

So don't think the atmosphere is all laid back and relaxed in the decent schools, perhaps more so than elsewhere in some ways but. . .

It's all about the money, money, money.

If you are moving with a school age family you better make sure that you have plenty of money. There is a thread running just now where one of our esteemed members put a lot of thought into their Thai move and now they are having to return home to try and rebuild their pot. As far as I can see it was his wife's battle with cancer that was a major contributor to his financial predicament.

I say don't move until you can 100% guarantee that money will not be an issue.

Thanks all. Genuinely appreciate all the input... a lot more constructive than the typical internet forum! It's certainly raised a few questions that I need to consider, particularly around money and schooling.

1. Money: I'm turning 30 this year and have a 3 - 5 year exit plan (sell business in 3 years with 2 year earn out). So, I would have a long time (assuming I live a long life) to support myself in Thailand. If i execute my business plan successfully I'll be heading to Thailand with a touch over 7 figures GBP. Some of which I would reinvest with my business partner in businesses of a similar nature to the one I run now, acting as a non-executive director and advising the MD (this is the curent relationship my investor and I have) and taking a salary on this. We already have a business plan for this, I can do it out of Asia, and our specialization is counter-cyclical markets so "in theory" the ongoing economic situation shouldn't have a massive impact (obviously things could be easier!)

I also have a property that I would rent out that would bring about 30,000 baht per month. Point being, after my previous impulse move to Thailand, I'm planning with military precision and have no illusions on surviving on a small pot that will last for event. I'm also not naive and realise the unexpected (medical bills etc.) can happen, but am planning on having a large pot to cover this.

2. Kids / school: children are 4 (almost 5) and 7 months so by the latest we move should be 9 and 4. It'll certainly be harder for my eldest but when I was young I moved around (US, Singapore) with my family before I was 10. I think as long as it's before they hit 10 / teens it's manageable.

I certainly appreciate that schools in Thailand have their issues from what I can gather from the above. That said, you still suffer challenges over here. My son's curent school (1st year) is decent but not great (30+ in a class), and there's an amazing Catholic school round the corner, literally 200 metres from my house, but he can't get in yet as we're not Catholic and most places are reserved for them (even though it's still majority funded by my taxes). From what I can see... and I will listen to what you guys have said and research more... I think some of these schools could do a suitable job (vs. English state school - or at least equal to).

I also don't want to give the impression that Thailand is the perfect dream land where my kids will be running free and full of joy, so to speak. But in part it's about me having the time to spend with them (currently I'm working my nuts off to live this dream... so please don't shatter it entirely... just constructive input ;))

Anyway, sorry for long response, but this thread has genuinely provided me with a lot of good insights and food for thought.

Cheers,

Alex

My son's curent school (1st year) is decent but not great (30+ in a class)

Off topic a little, but if your son is in a class of over 30, i'd be questioning it, as they are limited by statute to 30 maximum.

Good luck to you in your future move....thumbsup.gif

Edited by LucidLucifer

Thanks all. Genuinely appreciate all the input... a lot more constructive than the typical internet forum! It's certainly raised a few questions that I need to consider, particularly around money and schooling.

1. Money: I'm turning 30 this year and have a 3 - 5 year exit plan (sell business in 3 years with 2 year earn out). So, I would have a long time (assuming I live a long life) to support myself in Thailand. If i execute my business plan successfully I'll be heading to Thailand with a touch over 7 figures GBP. Some of which I would reinvest with my business partner in businesses of a similar nature to the one I run now, acting as a non-executive director and advising the MD (this is the curent relationship my investor and I have) and taking a salary on this. We already have a business plan for this, I can do it out of Asia, and our specialization is counter-cyclical markets so "in theory" the ongoing economic situation shouldn't have a massive impact (obviously things could be easier!)

I also have a property that I would rent out that would bring about 30,000 baht per month. Point being, after my previous impulse move to Thailand, I'm planning with military precision and have no illusions on surviving on a small pot that will last for event. I'm also not naive and realise the unexpected (medical bills etc.) can happen, but am planning on having a large pot to cover this.

2. Kids / school: children are 4 (almost 5) and 7 months so by the latest we move should be 9 and 4. It'll certainly be harder for my eldest but when I was young I moved around (US, Singapore) with my family before I was 10. I think as long as it's before they hit 10 / teens it's manageable.

I certainly appreciate that schools in Thailand have their issues from what I can gather from the above. That said, you still suffer challenges over here. My son's curent school (1st year) is decent but not great (30+ in a class), and there's an amazing Catholic school round the corner, literally 200 metres from my house, but he can't get in yet as we're not Catholic and most places are reserved for them (even though it's still majority funded by my taxes). From what I can see... and I will listen to what you guys have said and research more... I think some of these schools could do a suitable job (vs. English state school - or at least equal to).

I also don't want to give the impression that Thailand is the perfect dream land where my kids will be running free and full of joy, so to speak. But in part it's about me having the time to spend with them (currently I'm working my nuts off to live this dream... so please don't shatter it entirely... just constructive input wink.png)

Anyway, sorry for long response, but this thread has genuinely provided me with a lot of good insights and food for thought.

Cheers,

Alex

Reading a little between the lines, my feeling is that, you want to give your kids a quality life.

Ofcourse good schooling is a part of that, but only a part. My feeling is if you choose one of "real" and expensive schools mentioned here, both you and your kids are going to be part of the ratrace, that it my understanding, that you are trying to get away from by moving here. Pick a "normal" good school and see where it takes you. Here in Hua Hin Check out Salasian School, A Catholic run school, where most students are Bhuddist ! It is a private school, but not very expensive and in all my years here, I have never heard anything negative from the expatparents having their kids there, some who easyly could afford the more "hi-so" Somtawin. No I am not a shareholderwhistling.gif

Success is defined by rote memorization and regurgitation on multiple-choice exams. Administration and teachers have little actual clue about fostering independent critical thinking and in fact the social culture strongly discourages it, as god forbid the teachers ever lose face. Grades don't reflect student performance as much as what the administration wants the curve to look like, so successful students are the ones that are truly self-motivated, and most don't even know what that would look like, 99% try to coast on the minimum required, which for a bright child is practically nothing at all.

Huge blocks of time are wasted on ceremonies celebrating Thai traditions, marching and singing school songs, performances to show parents how great the school is.

Foreign teachers are largely ignored by management, again god forbid TPTB lose face by accepting any "outside" advice, and in fact since very few of the Thai teachers even in the "English/International" programs have even a reasonable skill level in English they will avoid interaction as much as possible lest their failings be exposed to others.

I'm sorry the picture painted is so grim, and as I said I'd love to hear of exceptions - individual farang teachers make a huge difference where the rubber meets the road, but this is mostly in spite of not helped by the school management. For me so far the only decent options are the handful of true international schools around Bangkok, and they run half a million plus (extra programme/excursion fees, transportation costs) per child.

Anything less will be a huge compromise, but of course many parents are willing to make those in order to accommodate their own choices in life.

You just described the schools and university that I went to in UK and the problem with them was if you didn't give them the answer they wanted then you would fail.

With a touch over 7 figures GBP as u mentioned you shouldnt have any problems in choosing what u want property or education wise , best of luck to you n your family , cant beat a good plan im doing similar

Thanks, and best of luck to you as well!

My son's curent school (1st year) is decent but not great (30+ in a class)

Off topic a little, but if your son is in a class of over 30, i'd be questioning it, as they are limited by statute to 30 maximum.

Good luck to you in your future move....thumbsup.gif

Will actually look into that! He's in reception (KS1) next year. I guess they know the laws so are probably bang on 30. It just annoyed me that his school seems to be the dumping ground for anyone who isn't CoE or Catholic for the good schools around where I live (they build another pre-fab classroom and added another class to his year last minute!)

I also don't want to give the impression that Thailand is the perfect dream land where my kids will be running free and full of joy, so to speak. But in part it's about me having the time to spend with them (currently I'm working my nuts off to live this dream... so please don't shatter it entirely... just constructive input wink.png)

Cheers,

Alex

Reading a little between the lines, my feeling is that, you want to give your kids a quality life.

Ofcourse good schooling is a part of that, but only a part. My feeling is if you choose one of "real" and expensive schools mentioned here, both you and your kids are going to be part of the ratrace, that it my understanding, that you are trying to get away from by moving here. Pick a "normal" good school and see where it takes you. Here in Hua Hin Check out Salasian School, A Catholic run school, where most students are Bhuddist ! It is a private school, but not very expensive and in all my years here, I have never heard anything negative from the expatparents having their kids there, some who easyly could afford the more "hi-so" Somtawin. No I am not a shareholderwhistling.gif

That's exactly what's between the lines ;) Thanks!

Just on the point of family time, work and education. A good education may get your children a good job, but it doesn't guarantee a happy life. Having a happy home life is more likely to produce happy stable adults. No one wants their kids to end up in a dead end 9 to 5 job, but better that then a suicidal cocaine snorting, under therapy, 3 times divorced CEO of a multi national.

My kids are young and I promised myself that I was going to spend as much time with them as possible, while they were growing up. The type of work I did meant that with shifts, long days and weekends, quality family time was not an option. Now we live a simple life here and for all intensive purposes, I and wife are a 24/ 7 parents and I an more then sure it shows in how happy and well adjusted my kids seem Jim

• Like 1

Make sure you get them private language tutors for Chinese, that will be a great long term investment, and they will need it.

Japanese is another good option, I know several Thais who did their PhD in Japan and it opened lots of doors. ( lots of sponsorship available with teh right academic qualifications )

Teach them to sail, ski and ride a horse - that was the only thing the old my insisted of us kids and was good advice.

Make sure you feed them healthily and teach them the value of money and saving, even at the earliest of years.

Make sure you get them private language tutors for Chinese, that will be a great long term investment, and they will need it.

Japanese is another good option, I know several Thais who did their PhD in Japan and it opened lots of doors. ( lots of sponsorship available with teh right academic qualifications )

IMO they'll have enough of a load getting up to speed on Thai at first.

Once that has solidified, then third+ languages are certainly do-able, but I've seen lots of kids get a bit overwhelmed when their parents try to get them learning multiple ones in parallel.

Of course this only applies to a "teaching" context, not the natural subliminal process that happens with quite young children when adults are speaking multiple languages around them as they are growing up, no limits there. . .

Just on the point of family time, work and education. A good education may get your children a good job, but it doesn't guarantee a happy life. Having a happy home life is more likely to produce happy stable adults. No one wants their kids to end up in a dead end 9 to 5 job, but better that then a suicidal cocaine snorting, under therapy, 3 times divorced CEO of a multi national.

My kids are young and I promised myself that I was going to spend as much time with them as possible, while they were growing up. The type of work I did meant that with shifts, long days and weekends, quality family time was not an option. Now we live a simple life here and for all intensive purposes, I and wife are a 24/ 7 parents and I an more then sure it shows in how happy and well adjusted my kids seem Jim

Couldn't agree more. I'm currently in the "working extremely hard, traveling a lot, with less than desired family time" stage at the moment. But I've promised myself and my family this it's the means to the end and I'm out by the time I'm 35 and off to Thailand or the simpler life.

In terms of the extra languages etc. my biggest regret was not learning another language (although I'm half way there with the Thai now). Will definitely want them up to speed on Thai, then probably hobbies that I enjoy... sport, guitar, reading etc.

We're also quite immersed in Buddhism via my wife (just back from Thai temple in the UK actually) and personally it helps me deal with the stresses of life so I hope it's something the kids can get value out of as well! My 4 yr old son is giving meditation a try... don't think he really gets it and does it because he sees me doing it, but can't be a bad thing!

Couldn't agree more. I'm currently in the "working extremely hard, traveling a lot, with less than desired family time" stage at the moment. But I've promised myself and my family this it's the means to the end and I'm out by the time I'm 35 and off to Thailand or the simpler life.

In terms of the extra languages etc. my biggest regret was not learning another language (although I'm half way there with the Thai now). Will definitely want them up to speed on Thai, then probably hobbies that I enjoy... sport, guitar, reading etc.

We're also quite immersed in Buddhism via my wife (just back from Thai temple in the UK actually) and personally it helps me deal with the stresses of life so I hope it's something the kids can get value out of as well! My 4 yr old son is giving meditation a try... don't think he really gets it and does it because he sees me doing it, but can't be a bad thing!

Sounds to me like a good track. Only qualifier I'd put in there is - although it's very admirable to put off today's pleasures in order to increase your perception of tomorrow's security - try to not compromise the time spent with your kids any more than absolutely necessary, even if it means being a bit less comfortable as quickly as you'd like.

You can usually make more money in the future, but you can never get those critical early years back.

Not talking about your own pleasure in your involvement, but the foundation for your kids character and personality.

To the extent mum and others can help take up the slack then fine, just don't underestimate your own very important role there, not just as a breadwinner.

The toughest goal is balance of course, and easy for me to say, I've gone too much the other way. . .