Chalerm Vows To Get Rid Of Mafia In Thai Tourism Businesses Within 3 Month

webfact

I think it is important to remember that Thailand has been around for a long time, it has dealt with a multitude of social and ethical issues and is still here doing very well.

If Chalerm decides to actually implement these ideas and has the backing of the elite power structure within the Kingdom then I believe he could easily do so.

Some of the meanest mfkers on the planet reside right here in Thailand and I would not want to be the dark influence or “Russian” crime lord that went up against the kingdom, I have done time in Thai prisons and they are filled with people who pissed someone off….

Interesting you bring that up. I remember all of the bodies a few years ago but if you look at the clubs operating on Walking street with women without working permits that never get raided it appears the Russians have won!

They didn't win in Bangkok but Pattaya seems to be their oyster.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chalerm has started happy hour on the ear medication already then!

This will be great to watch. Now if this was the UK, you could actually get odds from Ladbrookes or William Hill to place a bet on this. I would stick 10 grand on for sure smile.png

I think the 'Mafia' will have alternative ideas about being eradicated. I can just see the russian mafia gangs in Phuket allowing this to happen without a little fight back. Keep taking the ear medication Chalerm, it will help nullify the pain when the Mafia try to whack you!

WHAT A GREAT POST clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

My first impression after reading the headline was: Does he really want to resign? I mean he is the top-cop of this country and there is no mafia or scam gang his BIB are not involved in or extort their share.

If Thailand sent all the military, elite police etc. and put on the squeeze, the cockroaches would have to go somewhere else. Tourism is Thailand's best future and needs to be protected, the status quo must go.

Let's approach this positively:

- What will happen to TAT? (lots of new management and staff)

- What phone number to call when we see tourist-mafia at work? (tuk-tuk mafia, longtail mafia, rent mafia etc etc) Maybe he can give his mobile number? smile.png

OR do I read this completely wrong and does he mean there will not be any mafia-tourist in Thailand anymore?!? cheesy.gif

EITHER way would be good! clap2.gif

BUT, it is probably again another clean-up coffee1.gif

Let's compare this to another country, Mexico. In 2006 Mexican president Filepe Calderon vowed to crack-down on the drug cartels in that country. Since then, about 30,000 people have been killed in these actions (90% the criminals, 6% the cops and military doing the raids, and 4% innocent bystanders). Put that in perspective, the US lost about 60,000 soldiers in Viet Nam and the US has 3 times the population of Mexico. They never set a time table for "victory" they just set the goal and have done what they had to to achieve it (not elimination of cartels but just breaking their backs to where they could not control local cops and act with impunity). They still admit they have a long way to go now 6 years and 30,000 deaths later. It's not won and look at that toll. Yet, though Thailand's endemic corruption and the influence of outside gang money are rather comparable to Mexico's, we're going to be gang-free in tourist locations by the 22nd of August this year. Amazing Thailand indeed! Why would anybody in their right mind set such an ambiguous goal with such a matter-of-fact time table? Picking things like this apart is almost too easy to be considered interesting anymore. It's more like humor. Remember when Saddam Hussein's PR director, who was dubbed "comical Ali", was insisting after the US invasion that "the Americans are fleeing in droves. We are defeating them everywhere." and making a televised statement from a balcony that "there are no US forces in Iraq.", while in the background you could see a US tank rolling down the street?

It won't take 90 days to put an end to the Jet Ski scams...............let's use that as a test case.

Note to self, post topic on September 30th to ask if the Jet Ski scams have ended. coffee1.gif

Note to self part 2, Change diary arrangements for September 30th, cancel dinner with Elvis, the Tooth Fairy wants to come instead. smile.png

Let's compare this to another country, Mexico. In 2006 Mexican president Filepe Calderon vowed to crack-down on the drug cartels in that country. Since then, about 30,000 people have been killed in these actions (90% the criminals, 6% the cops and military doing the raids, and 4% innocent bystanders). Put that in perspective, the US lost about 60,000 soldiers in Viet Nam and the US has 3 times the population of Mexico. They never set a time table for "victory" they just set the goal and have done what they had to to achieve it (not elimination of cartels but just breaking their backs to where they could not control local cops and act with impunity). They still admit they have a long way to go now 6 years and 30,000 deaths later. It's not won and look at that toll. Yet, though Thailand's endemic corruption and the influence of outside gang money are rather comparable to Mexico's, we're going to be gang-free in tourist locations by the 22nd of August this year. Amazing Thailand indeed! Why would anybody in their right mind set such an ambiguous goal with such a matter-of-fact time table? Picking things like this apart is almost too easy to be considered interesting anymore. It's more like humor. Remember when Saddam Hussein's PR director, who was dubbed "comical Ali", was insisting after the US invasion that "the Americans are fleeing in droves. We are defeating them everywhere." and making a televised statement from a balcony that "there are no US forces in Iraq.", while in the background you could see a US tank rolling down the street?

Mexico today the big story was they captured the son of the largest drug cartel. They paraded the guy on TV. Turns out he had nothing to do with drugs, was not related to the drug boss. The poor guy was a used car salesman. Chalerm should not feel so bad. It could be worse. He could be a Mexican.

Immediate nationwide minimum wage increase to 300 Baht, Eradicate Poverty in 6 months, Drug dealers will cease to deal drugs the moment Puah Thai (Thaksin) takes office, rice sales guaranteed price increase, etc... ad infinitum.

Throw this one on the heap... and wait for nothing to happen, which is the Puah Thai standard.

• Like 1

Pot........Kettle............Black........... This isn't the same massage parlour Chalerm is it? There's got to be quite a nice mafia element to run soapies.

No, the massage parlour politician is Chuwit. Chalerm is the politician whose son murdered a policeman in cold blood and got away with it "somehow".

• Like 2

"Attending the one-hour meeting were the governors of Phuket, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani, Sukhothai, Tak and Kanchanaburi."

where was the Pattaya governors...???

No gangs in Pattaya....

"Attending the one-hour meeting were the governors of Phuket, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchathani, Sukhothai, Tak and Kanchanaburi."

No gangs in Pattaya....

No mafia(s), no crime at all....

The police have it all under control down there. :lol:

Pot........Kettle............Black........... This isn't the same massage parlour Chalerm is it? There's got to be quite a nice mafia element to run soapies.

No, the massage parlour politician is Chuwit. Chalerm is the politician whose son murdered a policeman in cold blood and got away with it "somehow".

Cheers! That "somehow" wouldn't of course be any mafia influence or any under the table payments.

quote:

For example, Phuket faces problems with unlicensed taxis and local mafia overcharging tourists for beach seats and jet skis, Chalerm said.

He said local officials would have to crack down on these gangs or he would visit the provinces himself to deal with the problem.

unquote.

There he goes again, the basher... He has learned quickly from his big boss in the desert. See how successful he will be with the tuk-tuk maffia in Phuket that have already institutionalised their exhorbitant prices at the local police station in Pathong. Simply the five fold of the same ride in Pattaya... and now, this is LEGAL, because it is officially announced at the police station!!!

Is he really taking tourists for dumbs? So far no one has ever explained to me why a single ride with a tuk-tuk in Phuket costs 200 THB, in Bangkok 35 Baht and in Pattaya 10 to 20 THB? My question is simple and straightforward: what in heaven's name and in Chalerm's name justifies this incredible price difference? Instead of regulating and interfering with the price of a simple rice food dish on the local market's food stalls, the PT Government would better start with the maffia that is operating at their front door and continues unhindered with their rip-off prices... bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

I don't think Pattaya has a governor. If the Chonburi governor was invited to the meeting he may have chosen not to attend because he prefers to retain control.

He may have a cunning plan. Maybe something along the lines of distributing this announcement to all booking flights or hotels in Thailand.

In 90 days; no tourists

ergo

no tourist mafia.

Success.

I speak as one who has not visited Thailand for eighteen months, delighted by better options. Thailand was lovely in 1971, I seem to remember.

<Edit> clown. He is the apitomy of corruption. Doesn't he own a (disgusting) $1m Pink Bentley that he bought when on salary of about ฿2m a year? Wasn't he due to be the next politician to be investigated for being 'unusually wealthy'? This is why anything he ever says is a <Edit> joke

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

Have you ever noticed that as soon as any news pops up from Chalerm, postings on this forum go in the hundreds in a matter of minutes...

Admit that Chalerm is a key figure of this forum and we all like his bashing! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

here we go again. it's almost like comedy. i wonder who these stories are really for. are they written in thai for a thai audience and then translated or are they written for english speaking foreigners?

Yep - as it has always been, comedy very close to tragedy, often hard to tell the difference.

• Like 1

I think these happenings in thailand would make a great film based on true events, the not so true events well hollywood could gloss them up a little, they could call it "the king of the castle" or "who's in charge"

Yep - and in the UK they could call it : 'Confessions of a Jet-Ski Scammer'; or, 'Carry on Conning', 'Carry on Corruption', etc etc...

• Like 1

All bullshit he will have to take out over half the Thai police force jee the amount of times I have been screwed by rogue police for supposedly speeding etc. one time before I even got out of Bangkok it cost me 1000 baht and at times cost me more in fines than fuel to get to Udon. All I have to say to mister Chalerm is start by devaluing the baht the exchange rate is ridiculous at the moment and heavier penalties for exposed corrupt police