Court Postpones Verdict On Teen Driver: Don Muang Tollway Accident

webfact

Court postpones verdict on teen driver

The Nation

30184750-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Central Juvenile and Family Court yesterday postponed its ruling on the fate of the 18yearold girl, who was involved in the December 27, 2010 accident on Bangkok's Don Muang tollway that killed nine passengers of a public transport van.

The court announced that it would postpone its decision on the case and ordered related parties to meet on July 2 and reach an outofcourt settlement that is beneficial for both sides.

The teenager faces charges of reckless driving causing death and injuries as well as using a mobile phone while driving - a charge that she has denied.

The victims' relatives said they were disappointed by court's decision because they wanted the teenager to be punished for her offences. They said they were still waiting for an apology from the girl and said they were open to an outofcourt settlement as suggested.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-23

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody will learn unless this girl and her parents pay for the deaths of all the others. She needs to be banged up for a suitable period of time to make amends. I understand she was a juvenile blah blah, but she has as yet shown no remorse. There should be no out of court settlement, 5-10 years at least. The court is passing the buck and avoiding it's responsibilities. This is criminal, not civil.

Hyperthetical question Jim. If you had a daughter who had done what the girl in question had done would you as her parent let her go to a Thai jail and be banged up for a 5 to 10 stretch or would you make an out of court settlement as the victims relatives have said they were open to an out of court settlement.?.

That's the way it is in Thailand Jim and no matter what we say or think it's how it is and I don't see things a changing for quite some time.

Money talks.!

As for the girl showing no remorse or giving an apology, how do we know how she feels, she could still be in a state of shock and under treatment for what she's done.

Thing is we don't know how she feels do we but I would say that if she is any kind of a decent human being, then what she has done will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Just a thought from an alledged forum thug as you called me recently.

HTH.

Edit.

As for the posts above mine, I just love the hang em high brigade putting Thailands wrongs to rights, the OP's title of thread mentioned ACCIDENT in case any one missed it.

Well the accident was caused by an unlicensed driver who was speeding and allowed to drive a car by an adult owner.

Someone is responsible, should show some sense of regret, pay compendation and finally do some time because causing 9 deaths is not something you should just be able to throw money at to make go away.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

I agree but I'll throw same question to you. Would you have you daughter banged up for a 5 to ten stretch if you could sort it out another way.?.

• Like 2

Nobody will learn unless this girl and her parents pay for the deaths of all the others. She needs to be banged up for a suitable period of time to make amends. I understand she was a juvenile blah blah, but she has as yet shown no remorse. There should be no out of court settlement, 5-10 years at least. The court is passing the buck and avoiding it's responsibilities. This is criminal, not civil.

Until people are held accountable, not just financially, these reckless fools will continue to wreak havoc on Thailand's roads.

• Like 2

Hyperthetical question Jim. If you had a daughter who had done what the girl in question had done would you as her parent let her go to a Thai jail and be banged up for a 5 to 10 stretch or would you make an out of court settlement as the victims relatives have said they were open to an out of court settlement.?.

That's the way it is in Thailand Jim and no matter what we say or think it's how it is and I don't see things a changing for quite some time.

Money talks.!

As for the girl showing no remorse or giving an apology, how do we know how she feels, she could still be in a state of shock and under treatment for what she's done.

Thing is we don't know how she feels do we but I would say that if she is any kind of a decent human being, then what she has done will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Just a thought from an alledged forum thug as you called me recently.

HTH.

Edit.

As for the posts above mine, I just love the hang em high brigade putting Thailands wrongs to rights, the OP's title of thread mentioned ACCIDENT in case any one missed it.

Well the accident was caused by an unlicensed driver who was speeding and allowed to drive a car by an adult owner.

Someone is responsible, should show some sense of regret, pay compendation and finally do some time because causing 9 deaths is not something you should just be able to throw money at to make go away.

I agree but I'll throw same question to you. Would you have you daughter banged up for a 5 to ten stretch if you could sort it out another way.?.

Before I answer that I will say my daughter would not be driving unlicensed and that nobody in my family would loan her car if she was not qualified to drive.

In answer to your question if she caused an accident like this then she would be left with the consequences.

• Like 2

Amazing. You guys don't know for sure if she was at fault. Much more likely to be the van driver.

Well the court seems to think she is liable that is why they are trying to get the families of the deceased to reach financial agreement.

The mom at the time spoke of accepting responsibility and paying compensation too.

So I hazard to say yes she was at fault.

• Like 2

Before I answer that I will say my daughter would not be driving unlicensed and that nobody in my family would loan her car if she was not qualified to drive.

In answer to your question if she caused an accident like this then she would be left with the consequences.

Easy saying what you say from behind your keyboard anonamously but if actually faced with the prospect of your daughter being banged up in a Thai jail for 5 to 10 years I suspect you and many parents of their own flesh and blood would take the non jail option if able to afford and wouldn't see their young daughter go to jail and probably ruin her life.

That's the way it is and not just Thai.

She was foolish and an accident happened but I'm pretty sure she didn't mean it to happen.

Guilty or not guilty, take a long look in Thailand of the way the vans, trucks, and school buses drive recklesly suddenly cutting you off when they have the entire fastlane to by on on. If you have driven here in Thailand any amount of time, you have experienced it first hand. This is not a comment about her being innocent or guilty, that's up to Thailand.

Easy saying what you say from behind your keyboard anonamously but if actually faced with the prospect of your daughter being banged up in a Thai jail for 5 to 10 years I suspect you and many parents of their own flesh and blood would take the non jail option if able to afford and wouldn't see their young daughter go to jail and probably ruin her life.

She was foolish and an accident happened but I'm pretty sure she didn't mean it to happen.

You post highlites the problem

this family can afford to pay of the bereaved ...

what if it was a poor person who was driving

You highlight that there is a two tier legal system

Those who can pay ... walk free with a slap on the wrist

@apptely.

Oh and just another point. I Think that you will find in Thailand that many drivers drive with parents consent even though they have no licence to drive.

And even if you do happen to have a valid drivers licence to drive does not mean you are competent to drive, you only have to take the micky mouse test to see that.

You only need to see how many road accidents/deaths there are per year in Thailand and then you may accept that the test should be made far harder but is that going to happen. Me thinks not. TIT.

@apptely.

Oh and just another point. I Think that you will find in Thailand that many drivers drive with parents consent even though they have no licence to drive.

And even if you do happen to have a valid drivers licence to drive does not mean you are competent to drive, you only have to take the micky mouse test to see that.

You only need to see how many road accidents/deaths there are per year in Thailand and then you may accept that the test should be made far harder but is that going to happen. Me thinks not. TIT.

Well all I would say to your first point is that thousands of wrongs do not make a right.

As for the driving test being a joke, we agree and that is why deaths on the road in Thailand are multiples of what they are in my home country.

You post highlites the problem

this family can afford to pay of the bereaved ...

what if it was a poor person who was driving

You highlight that there is a two tier legal system

Those who can pay ... walk free with a slap on the wrist

What I am actually trying to do Luckylew is to get people to question their consience

It's fine for the hang em high brigade to post away and say bang em up for 10 years but if they were truly faced with that happening to one of their flesh and blood would they take an alternative if offered.

Food for thought eh.?.

I remember this case, and the pages upon pages of ThaiVisa discussing blame and punishement...

My response at the time, and the same now... there should be no difference in treatment of this girl, regardless of rich or poor... she was driving a car, without a licence, talking on a phone, tailgaiting, at an unsafe speed... 90% of the other cars on the road were probably doing exactly the same thing... and every car she has ever been in was probably doing exactly the same thing...

She didn't intentionally ram the van, like every other car around her, she was driving in what we would call a crazy way, but which their drivers just don't know better... It isn't murder...

If she drove like that in Australia, I would expect the most sever of penalties... but in Thailand, she should be judged against the acceptable standard...

As for restitution, in Australia, she would go to prision, the families who loose loved ones (no monetary value) and income earners would claim agianst the government, and get almost nothing... (edit: for car accidents there is compulsory insurance. For all other crimes they claim against the government).

In Thailand with even less of a safety net, the tragedy of loosing a loved one is compunded greatly by loosing an income earner... for I think it is imoprtant that they receive a significant financial payment... but that is compensation to the family, not punishement...

Punishement should be in addition, and should be directly related to the crime, without fear nor favour...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo
  • Like 2