The High Price Of Not Knowing Fact From Fiction.

theblether

I bought an oven at a garage sale, the owner said it was really good, but it turned out that it is only OK, not really good.

Next time pluck the chicken right in front of them and stuff it in the oven and check. Don't accept any shoddy treatment here!

Oh you can roast a chicken in it all right, but it is totally insufficient for a proper pizza.mad.gif

Edited by canuckamuck

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought an oven at a garage sale, the owner said it was really good, but it turned out that it is only OK, not really good.

Next time pluck the chicken right in front of them and stuff it in the oven and check. Don't accept any shoddy treatment here!

Oh you can roast a chicken in all right, but it is totally insufficient for a proper pizza.mad.gif

Half pizzas only? You are lucky a Scot is to hand to offer advice!

Buy a stove and deep fry 'em same as I do....laugh.png

• Like 1

No no no no PLEASE.....Pull the thighs apart also know as the top part of the leg and do the taste test and then start singing Mcdonalds Mcdonalds Kentucky fried Chicken And a Pizza hut.

laugh.png

Perhaps if he took the oven back and choked the chicken right in front of them it would help to overcome any cultural and linguistic barriers?

hahaha.....555 Don't be giving me ideas at this time@@

Guys I know who have really really been stung for large sums of money were stung by gifted amateurs, who they delighted in telling every one were not bar girls - But like I say the story changes at the exact moment as the locks.

Girls on dating websites? I've heard they're good con artists.

One (forum) con that has been irritating me recently involves a troll doing what trolls do best (making offensive and anger provoking posts), then when the mods show up, the troll assumes the role of a victim, and tries to portray any references to their previous indiscretions by other members as personal attacks or stalking.

That's not a con. It's just you taking things too seriously.

Comparing your little rant to the story about a Thai who's just lost money is naive.

Edited by RGDB

We roasted monkey once but the oven was so small it had to be spanked or the door wouldn't close.

I've spanked the monkey on the odd occasion but have no need to brag on TV, just post on U tube.;)

I made a similar mistake myself in lending money to a farang couple. Needless to say i have never seen one Baht of it returned. They are now back in the UK but the matter is not concluded for me.

I certainly wouldn't lend anyone else anything again. Sad but true.....and yes I gave it over willingly....and witlessly as I recognise now.

Live and learn.

Edit: Just to give a proper perspective...part of this was 100k Baht towards an ICU bill for one of them. Not a penny returned.

I loaned a mate $10k and then he died.

The bastard laugh.png
  • Like 1

I made a similar mistake myself in lending money to a farang couple. Needless to say i have never seen one Baht of it returned. They are now back in the UK but the matter is not concluded for me.

I certainly wouldn't lend anyone else anything again. Sad but true.....and yes I gave it over willingly....and witlessly as I recognise now.

Live and learn.

Edit: Just to give a proper perspective...part of this was 100k Baht towards an ICU bill for one of them. Not a penny returned.

The bastard laugh.png

Tell me about it...didn't have the heart to ask him for it back.

Live and learn.

The bastard laugh.png

Tell me about it...didn't have the heart to ask him for it back.

But I'm sure you never gonna lend him any money again .

One (forum) con that has been irritating me recently involves a troll doing what trolls do best (making offensive and anger provoking posts), then when the mods show up, the troll assumes the role of a victim, and tries to portray any references to their previous indiscretions by other members as personal attacks or stalking.

That's not a con. It's just you taking things too seriously.

Comparing your little rant to the story about a Thai who's just lost money is naive.

Thanks for your (nearly) useful contribution.

Actually, I did not make any such comparisons.

Nonetheless, welcome to the Thai Visa forum.

Once when we were really hungry we polished off a dolphin.

Getting my coat now.

We? I had no idea you were such an exhibitionist mate!

I prefer to sit alone and enjoy my krapow....whistling.gif

Big dolphin

Used to go partying in Anjuna in Goa....then a smoke on the boat near Fort Aguada....and jump in the sea as the sun came up while swimming with the dolphins there....heaven! smile.png

There is one in particular (whose username I often misspell so I won't mention it here) who often offends other members with spiteful stereotyping (including describing TV as a red-neck forum) and then claims persecution (when anyone stands up to the trolling).

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

hey dont tell that you are also a victims of Pseudolus???sick.gif

Edited by Bender

An honest person can never be 'conned'.

It only works with greedy people, dishonest people, or those wanting something for nothing.

As GH has pointed out the most common con involves dishonest foreigners lying to buy something they are not entitled to own.

Try repeating that in a bar full of ex-Enron employees- not the ones at the top, but the thousands of men and women who just worked hard at their jobs- then saw their life savings disappear the same day they lost their livelihoods. Or ex-Worldcom employees. Or their stockholders.

Everyone believes they can't be conned because they're too smart or honest. Right up until it happens to them.

It only works with greedy people, dishonest people, or those wanting something for nothing.

As GH has pointed out the most common con involves dishonest foreigners lying to buy something they are not entitled to own.

Try repeating that in a bar full of ex-Enron employees- not the ones at the top, but the thousands of men and women who just worked hard at their jobs- then saw their life savings disappear the same day they lost their livelihoods. Or ex-Worldcom employees. Or their stockholders.

Everyone believes they can't be conned because they're too smart or honest. Right up until it happens to them.

These are people who put all their eggs in the same basket - why, because the same scam that was paying the guys at the top loads of cash was promising to pay them loads of cash.

When the coin is rolling in few look at the details - but all your eggs in one basket is never ever ever a good idea.

Not in Thailand, but whilst living in Vietnam, I lent an expat some money for his rent, of course never returned.

Now what I am about to say I do not expect anyone to do however:

After several years the guy had got married and was still refusing to pay.

Well some swiftly generated new emails, signed them both up to AFF with various "kinky attitudes" and contact details.

Had them selling cars, fridges, and all manner of other goods on notice boards which I am sure got them lots of phone calls, for all "The Bargains"

SMS from skype at all hours of the day and night for weeks.

Did not help get the money back, but I am sure the amount of hassle they had was well worth it.

If I had known someone who would have broke there legs for a fee I would have done that too

Not in Thailand, but whilst living in Vietnam, I lent an expat some money for his rent, of course never returned.

Now what I am about to say I do not expect anyone to do however:

After several years the guy had got married and was still refusing to pay.

Well some swiftly generated new emails, signed them both up to AFF with various "kinky attitudes" and contact details.

Had them selling cars, fridges, and all manner of other goods on notice boards which I am sure got them lots of phone calls, for all "The Bargains"

SMS from skype at all hours of the day and night for weeks.

Did not help get the money back, but I am sure the amount of hassle they had was well worth it.

If I had known someone who would have broke there legs for a fee I would have done that too

" African Grey Parrot, free to good home, owner passed away and this beautiful bird needs lots of love and attention, new cage and toys etc included "

That's just about the ultimate ragging advert, ideal for revenge missions and winding pals up, use and enjoy smile.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Not always so. Many cons play on the victims sympathy to get money for nothing in return, except a "good feeling" for helping someone having been unfortunate. In the UK a common one was people asking me for money to get home, as their car had been "clamped" etc.

Here's one for all the far fetched fiction fans out there in TV land ;

" in the year of Elvis Presley’s death, nineteen seventy-seven, there were, at most, several dozen Elvis impersonators in the world. By the year two thousand and two, however, there were more than thirty-five thousand. Given this expanding growth rate, it was accurately predicted that by the year two thousand and twelve, one in four people on the planet would be an Elvis impersonator.

This, of course, proved not to be the case."

The Witches of Chiswick , Robert Rankin

Guys I know who have really really been stung for large sums of money were stung by gifted amateurs, who they delighted in telling every one were not bar girls - But like I say the story changes at the exact moment as the locks.

Girls on dating websites? I've heard they're good con artists.

Bloody hell I married one of those 6 years ago...............must be the long game, she gave me 100k to bring back to the UK a few days ago, obviously lulling me into a false sense of security.............what a bitch!!!

The most dangerous lies any of us hear are the lies we tell ourselves.

A peculiarity of the expat community in Thailand is that it is stuffed full of so many people who are lying to themselves, the result being that if we could wind the clock back to the point at which a luckless Farang, ranting on TV or elsewhere about having been ripped off, was actually handing over his life's savings we'd be able to see the smile on his face as he did so.

The biggest cons we see here are guys pouring their pensions/divorce settlements into land and property for their new found sweet heart. We've many of us watched this from the sidelines, some of us having got burned by a friend we tried to warn - They do not want to know - The lie they tell themselves is complete and everyone else is biased, racist, bitter, or misguided.

Until the locks are changed.

The cons we see here in Thailand are nothing compared to the whoppers that go unnoticed back home:

- Working for a company for 30 years then getting laid off 2 years before retirement

- Social Security (retirement age is going up to 70 in the U.S.)

- Investing your money in the stock market

- Buying European government bonds whistling.gif

- Rent in NYC

- Health insurance costs

- 40% taken out of my paycheck while I receive nothing in return (as opposed to Brits who get their NHS)

The difference between the above mentioned cons and the ones we see useless farangs falling victim to in Thailand is:

You can avoid it here by not being a complete idiot and getting involved with riffraff.

It always amazes me how educated western men continue to be taken to the cleaners by uneducated bar girls?

My gf's mother lost close to 200k to a similar scam, but had to do with a lady using international work in Japan, a promise that remained in processing for 6 years or so until they finally relised it was never going to eventuate and the realization of a full blown scam set in. This all went down well over 10 years ago, but there house is still hocked to the Bank on this issue. I have refused to clear this issue unless the house was transferred to my gf, but as you know that ain't going to happen without the 200k being cleared first. Funny how a simple dead-lock is convenient. Either way the gf started work this year after finishing advanced study so she will clear it herself. As I have known this family for over 7 years I have been surprised to find out how many Thai-Scamming-Thai cons are going on. There is one Thai/Farang scam for every 10 Thai/Thai, if not a higher ratio than this. As I have always said,,,,,, if it sounds too good to be true......

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Here's one for all the far fetched fiction fans out there in TV land ;

" in the year of Elvis Presley’s death, nineteen seventy-seven, there were, at most, several dozen Elvis impersonators in the world. By the year two thousand and two, however, there were more than thirty-five thousand. Given this expanding growth rate, it was accurately predicted that by the year two thousand and twelve, one in four people on the planet would be an Elvis impersonator.

This, of course, proved not to be the case."

The Witches of Chiswick , Robert Rankin

Be downright embarrassing to imitate the king while he's still alive.

Absolutely necessary to do so once he's dead (supposedly anyway, I'm still not convinced).

Elvis impersonators are comical, and oh so obvious, so no harm done.

Online there is a whole new division of malicious impersonators. We all know about the infamous Nigerian scams, eg on dating sites, and for many the financial loss to these scams is secondary to the emotional scars caused by falling love with a fiction.

In Thailand the ladyboy phenomenom is a cliche, it's unbelievable the amount of times that people who have never visited Thailand ask about ladyboys, the only answer I give now is ' why are you so interested in men impersonating women? '.

The internet introduces a whole new world for the malicious, the delusional, and the criminal. There are too many examples of people creating false personas, and the problem many of us face is now having to deduce who is a troll, who is genuine, and quite frankly, who are creating false profiles to try and gain financial advantage, or undue emotional support.

Being Thailand, it shouldn't be a shock to find out that there are people impersonating members of the opposite sex online. For what advantage, I don't know, but I do know that it has an undue and unfair effect on others.

For that reason alone, it's a malicious act. The UK is now bringing in legislation to make online trolling a criminal offence, hopefully the rest of the world will do so too, and at the end of it, we can just go back to the innocent days of laughing at bad Elvis impersonators, and wondering, is that a man in a dress?

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

Elvis impersonators are comical, and oh so obvious, so no harm done.

Online there is a whole new division of malicious impersonators. We all know about the infamous Nigerian scams, eg on dating sites, and for many the financial loss to these scams is secondary to the emotional scars caused by falling love with a fiction.

In Thailand the ladyboy phenomenom is a cliche, it's unbelievable the amount of times that people who have never visited Thailand ask about ladyboys, the only answer I give now is ' why are you so interested in men impersonating women? '.

The internet introduces a whole new world for the malicious, the delusional, and the criminal. There are too many examples of people creating false personas, and the problem many of us face is now having to deduce who is a troll, who is genuine, and quite frankly, who are creating false profiles to try and gain financial advantage, or undue emotional support.

Being Thailand, it shouldn't be a shock to find out that there are people impersonating members of the opposite sex online. For what advantage, I don't know, but I do know that it has an undue and unfair effect on others.

For that reason alone, it's a malicious act. The UK is now bringing in legislation to make online trolling a criminal offence, hopefully the rest of the world will do so too, and at the end of it, we can just go back to the innocent days of laughing at bad Elvis impersonators, and wondering, is that a man in a dress?

The fact is that there is no way you could call a western Tranny in Los a scam......absolutely no way.

To be a scam, it has to be convincing first and foremost.

Edited by samsiam