Best Recipe Website

bangkokStranger

Hello, im wondering whats the best website for finding recipes, im looking for a website with both Thai and Western Food but if you know of two seperate sites one for Thai and one for western then thats fine. Theres so many sites there that its hard to know which is the best so i taught some advice here might help me whittle it down to a few. When it comes to searching the web, you think of google, when it comes to browsers you think of Internet Explorer (err i mean Firefox), so when it comes to food recipies where do you go??

I would mostly prefer a site where people can rate the recipe if possible and by the way if anyone knows a delicious recipe for apple tart or homemade brown bread dont be shy!!

Thanks

Hello, im wondering whats the best website for finding recipes, im looking for a website with both Thai and Western Food but if you know of two seperate sites one for Thai and one for western then thats fine. Theres so many sites there that its hard to know which is the best so i taught some advice here might help me whittle it down to a few. When it comes to searching the web, you think of google, when it comes to browsers you think of Internet Explorer (err i mean Firefox), so when it comes to food recipies where do you go??

I would mostly prefer a site where people can rate the recipe if possible and by the way if anyone knows a delicious recipe for apple tart or homemade brown bread dont be shy!!

Thanks

Cooks.com has one of the largest and best recipe collections on the web. The Thai content isn't immediately apparent on the home page, but insert "thai" in the search window and you'll get 125 pages of Thai recipes. I've looked at many of the Thai recipes and for the most part they're relatively authentic.

This one is my very favorite. It isn't geared towards Asian food really, more Western, but has lots of everything. The good thing about it is that people that sign up as members (which is free) are able to submit recipes but also write reviews about ones that they have tried. These reviews from everyday people are indispensible IMO. Here it is:

All Recipes.com

Edited by TRIPxCORE

The thing I like about cooks.com is that recipes are screened before acceptance.

I'm not sure I could place much faith in a user rating system when it comes to recipes (e.g., the most popular recipe could easily be the most bland, least authentic, etc), but to each his own. :o

Cooks.com Thai recipes

Agreed it wouldn't be the best for a cuisine like Thai food. But, what it does is prevent you from making one of those recipes that turns out to be a complete disaster. I should add that I would never use these recipes for making Thai food though...

• 3 weeks later...
I like allrecipes because of the 'search by ingredient' feature, and also they tell you the nutritional information for each recipe...

But, for all-around Asian Recipes, I agree with google; http://AsiaRecipe.com is number one in my book :D

I wonder why? :o

Ajarn, where can I find a list of ingredients in English & Thai script.

Try finding Groundnut oil, Candlenuts, or Cardamom next time you're in a supermarket if your list is not in Thai script :D

Howdy everyone,

Try this site it has a zillion recipes.Try the search function for other country food.

http://195.82.114.49/recipes/?search=thai

Hmm, jalapeno peppers recommended for one of the green curry paste recipes. On the other hand there are 17 different green curry paste recipes (none of them sharing the same name) on astray.com, I'm sure there must be at least one that's more or less correct. The Thai recipes at Cooks.com still look more authentic to me, overall. Also how does 'cardamom-spiced coffee' come under 'Thai'? Extensive variety of recipes though.

Ajarn not to knock your site, it's nice but I suggest adding more recipes (maybe one a week?) and I also think you should come up with a consistent recipe naming system, just to make it easier to use. Kudos though, it's difficult for one person to generate all the content for a recipe site. That's why allrecipes.com and cooks.com are so popular - they constantly receive fresh content from users, and then screen that content before publishing it (at least cooks.com does).

I think all of the sites recommended so far have search-by-ingredient functions, don't they? For example a search for "thai" and "coconut" on Cooks.com yields a list of all Thai recipes that contain coconut.

*disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Cooks.com. :o

After looking at these recipe sites, started printing some recipes out and starting on one now. Was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to finely mince garlic cloves without the time consuming effort of using a knife? Love garlic in nearly any cooked dish I do. :D

p.s. Thanks for the link to Allrecipes.com, great site. :o

Edited by tywais

After looking at these recipe sites, started printing some recipes out and starting on one now. Was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to finely mince garlic cloves without the time consuming effort of using a knife? Love garlic in nearly any cooked dish I do. :D

Use a pestle and mortar..easy. :o

Use a pestle and mortar..easy. :o

Thanks chuchok, totally forgotten about those things. Just have to find a smaller one then the one my wife uses for som tahm. :D

Ajarn not to knock your site, it's nice but I suggest adding more recipes (maybe one a week?) and I also think you should come up with a consistent recipe naming system, just to make it easier to use. Kudos though, it's difficult for one person to generate all the content for a recipe site. That's why allrecipes.com and cooks.com are so popular - they constantly receive fresh content from users, and then screen that content before publishing it (at least cooks.com does).

Sabaijai, thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. :o

Recipes are only one part of asirecipe.com. It's focus is to educate about a variety of cultural topics, as well as herbs, cooking methods, ingredients, etc. I actually do add new recipes each week, but not in all of the 22 countries I cover.

And yes, as you've suggested, it's not easy for one person to generate all the content for a large recipe site. It's a nice hobby though. :D

I like allrecipes because of the 'search by ingredient' feature, and also they tell you the nutritional information for each recipe...

But, for all-around Asian Recipes, I agree with google; http://AsiaRecipe.com is number one in my book :D

I wonder why? :o

Ajarn, where can I find a list of ingredients in English & Thai script.

Try finding Groundnut oil, Candlenuts, or Cardamom next time you're in a supermarket if your list is not in Thai script :D

Udon, It might be slow, but you can try one of the translators online, like http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

Three seconds in a food processor works well too. The hardest part of dealing with garlic, for me, was getting the skins off, until a chef taught me how to smash the individual cloves with the side of a heavy chef's knife or cleaver. After smashing the skins come right off.

Sabaijai, thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. :D

Recipes are only one part of asirecipe.com. It's focus is to educate about a variety of cultural topics, as well as herbs, cooking methods, ingredients, etc. I actually do add new recipes each week, but not in all of the 22 countries I cover.

And yes, as you've suggested, it's not easy for one person to generate all the content for a large recipe site. It's a nice hobby though. :D

It's a great site, Ajarn, keep up the good work.

"Three seconds in a food processor works well too. The hardest part of dealing with garlic, for me, was getting the skins off, until a chef taught me how to smash the individual cloves with the side of a heavy chef's knife or cleaver. After smashing the skins come right off."

You beat me to it!.... :o

"Three seconds in a food processor works well too. The hardest part of dealing with garlic, for me, was getting the skins off, until a chef taught me how to smash the individual cloves with the side of a heavy chef's knife or cleaver. After smashing the skins come right off."

I've been removing the skins also, I'll try smashing it first next time!

Thanx. :D

Edited by Uma~~

I've been removing the skins also, I'll try smashing it first next time!

Thanx. :D

Here's that process- with step by step photos http://asiarecipe.com/garlic.html

Sawasdee tywais,

As far as peeling a regular amount of garlic for our meals I use the method that ajarn has mentioned from asiarecipes.If it is to be a large amount, say to make a batch of crispy garlic oil to season soups or whatever.I peel same way, then use a fine cheese grater instead of a knife or a food proccecer.That way I get a uniform shred.My recipe for crispy garlic oil is.....

100 ml garlic,300 ml oil, heat oil to medium heat,place garlic into oil(be careful oil will bubble like mad) stir with bamboo stick to help seperate until garlic starts to become a nice light golden color.You have to be carefull at this point because the garlic will continue to cook after you remove the pot from the heat.You do not want the garlic to get to dark it will become bitter.Remove from heat.This we use mostly to season soups or noodels.Enjoy :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sawasdee tywais,

As far as peeling a regular amount of garlic for our meals I use the method that ajarn has mentioned from asiarecipes.If it is to be a large amount, say to make a batch of crispy garlic oil to season soups or whatever.I peel same way, then use a fine cheese grater instead of a knife or a food proccecer.That way I get a uniform shred.My recipe for crispy garlic oil is.....

100 ml garlic,300 ml oil, heat oil to medium heat,place garlic into oil(be careful oil will bubble like mad) stir with bamboo stick to help seperate until garlic starts to become a nice light golden color.You have to be carefull at this point because the garlic will continue to cook after you remove the pot from the heat.You do not want the garlic to get to dark it will become bitter.Remove from heat.This we use mostly to season soups or noodels.Enjoy :D

Great finger-food, too! :D