Lonely In Doi Saket, Chiang Mai

autan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only yesterday he was giving advice to people about going home and even told someone if they were spending 100k a month they must need their head looking at!

I agree, spending 100k a month is spending 90k too much.

(If you are retired and not Naam)

But I also think drinking 25 Chang (Classic) a day is impossible, I pass out after 3.

90k too much? you live on 10k? I think 50/60 is the average I see but 10?

Buy the best hot tub money can buy, fill it with whatever takes your fancy........how can he get bored?

Fill it with Chang, and get two activities, for the price of one ? burp.gifdrunk.gifpartytime2.gif

I recall the old jest, about the TV-poster who drowned in a hot-tub full of beer, it took him several hours & he had to climb out twice to go to the loo ! rolleyes.gif

How about hobbies or lifestyle? I'm one of a group of road cyclists (occasional MTB) expats here in Chiang Mai and I love to ride everyday (bicycles that is). I find that each day is filled with riding, eating, sleeping, reading and so on. In fact I don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do.

I was feeling a tad lonely once not so long ago.

I joined a local crochet club and it has filled a void.

Get so used to incorrect spelling, that I saw it initially as croquet club.

Once I read eyecatcher's comment, the penny dropped huh.png ............indeed a great (GREAT?) void filler. wink.png

I was feeling a tad lonely once not so long ago.

I joined a local crochet club and it has filled a void.

Get so used to incorrect spelling, that I saw it initially as croquet club.

Once I read eyecatcher's comment, the penny dropped huh.png ............indeed a great (GREAT?) void filler. wink.png

I heard a rumour, no doubt incorrect, that they 'stitch you up' on the membership-fees ? rolleyes.gif

A few people have come on here suggesting that I was trolling alcoholic.

I couldnt give a stuff about the trolling bit, thats your opinion and your bloody entitled to it I say.

The alcoholism part though is serious. When I say CHANG were talking the big bottles and it started when I was on the plane on the way over from UK to BKK. I dont know about the rest of you and how you get to Thailand, but I absolutely hate flying from Manchester, to somewhere in the middle east (dubai, abu dhabi, doha) you know the airlines I am talking about 5* airline and all that. I hate being in BKK and then having walk the 2 mile trip to the domestic departures up to chiang mai. I get knackered and it takes days to recover.

I had a drink of heiniken on the plane. The a red wine with my meal, then my wife gave me her red wine. This was repeated along with some sleep twice. I got off the plane, despite being tired we had arranged to stay at the sheraton for a night before going back to the airport and up to chiang mai later the next day. My biological clock was all over the place at the sheraton. Got to the room and my wife went to sleep, but it was dinner time. I went to the bar and forgot I had very little baht, just credit cards. The barman said whats your room number and I got talking to an aussie guy. Several hours later we agreed to meet for tea with our wives. 2 bottle of red wine later and I go to sleep finally.

The next morning, I woke up, no hangover, just a rested sleep. We headed up to chiang mai and was met by the wifes family. We threw a party and a neirbour said that just a little futher down the road near the rimp ping supermarket, you can buy boxes of chang. I went down the next day and couldnt believe how cheap they were. Not just chang either. I bought several boxes and stored them in my new office. Long story short, I have been drinking a bottle here, a bottle there. Have a little swim, have a couple, have lunch have another, go see a relative have something there. I always used to get my wife to drive. She just tells people he's tired when I am sleeping the pickup.

When we go home, have tea and few more, may be four. have a shower, get dressed for bed and watch some thai imported dvd's of the latest western films, may be six more.

Repeat for say 50-60 days and I am writing a post back in the UK about being bored in thailand. I have been to a AA meeting and apparently it all starts with the first drink. Alcohol is a depressant, hence why I am not feel rewarded.

I would like to thank all the PM's and posts about meeting up, before I do I think I need to get sober and stay sober. I have been pointed in the direction of the McCormick Hospital doing AA meetings, does this ring a bell with anyonem (Perhaps not).

Anyway thanks for letting me know or should I say making me look at myself a little differently.

Incindently if anyone wants to buy a few boxes of chang, PM me when I am back, you can have them for a cup of coffee and a chat.

Edited by autan
  • Like 1

I can relate to your situation a little bit (if it's true). I run a software company and don't really need to work at all, though I tend to put in an hour or two per day, as you do. I'm actually pausing operations right now while I officially register a business here in LOS so that I'm operating legally.

If you're anything like me, then you had a HUGE hurdle to get where you are and make this online stuff a success, and now once you have achieved that, your drive is gone. For me I had the huge drive of never wanting to work for a boss again -- being able to travel whenever I want, etc, etc. I'm guessing your situation was similar (I haven't read every post in this thread, so sorry if I'm wrong).

All I can suggest, and this is partly advice to myself as well, is to find something within your current business that inspires you to work on it again. Maybe you can enter a totally new market and take your programmers, customer service staff etc with you. Find a new project online that you can get passionate about it. Take your time, think around. When something is really magical and interests you, you'll know.

It's likely you've just hit some complacency because you don't have to work. I think you just haven't found something you want to work on again. It doesn't necessarily have to be for monetary rewards.

Warren Buffett, Richard Branson, Donald Trump, Alex Ferguson -- Never have to work a day again in their lives, but they'll wake up tomorrow excited to put the hours in.

My $0.02.

A few people have come on here suggesting that I was trolling alcoholic.

I couldnt give a stuff about the trolling bit, thats your opinion and your bloody entitled to it I say.

The alcoholism part though is serious. When I say CHANG were talking the big bottles and it started when I was on the plane on the way over from UK to BKK. I dont know about the rest of you and how you get to Thailand, but I absolutely hate flying from Manchester, to somewhere in the middle east (dubai, abu dhabi, doha) you know the airlines I am talking about 5* airline and all that. I hate being in BKK and then having walk the 2 mile trip to the domestic departures up to chiang mai. I get knackered and it takes days to recover.

I had a drink of heiniken on the plane. The a red wine with my meal, then my wife gave me her red wine. This was repeated along with some sleep twice. I got off the plane, despite being tired we had arranged to stay at the sheraton for a night before going back to the airport and up to chiang mai later the next day. My biological clock was all over the place at the sheraton. Got to the room and my wife went to sleep, but it was dinner time. I went to the bar and forgot I had very little baht, just credit cards. The barman said whats your room number and I got talking to an aussie guy. Several hours later we agreed to meet for tea with our wives. 2 bottle of red wine later and I go to sleep finally.

The next morning, I woke up, no hangover, just a rested sleep. We headed up to chiang mai and was met by the wifes family. We threw a party and a neirbour said that just a little futher down the road near the rimp ping supermarket, you can buy boxes of chang. I went down the next day and couldnt believe how cheap they were. Not just chang either. I bought several boxes and stored them in my new office. Long story short, I have been drinking a bottle here, a bottle there. Have a little swim, have a couple, have lunch have another, go see a relative have something there. I always used to get my wife to drive. She just tells people he's tired when I am sleeping the pickup.

When we go home, have tea and few more, may be four. have a shower, get dressed for bed and watch some thai imported dvd's of the latest western films, may be six more.

Repeat for say 50-60 days and I am writing a post back in the UK about being bored in thailand. I have been to a AA meeting and apparently it all starts with the first drink. Alcohol is a depressant, hence why I am not feel rewarded.

I would like to thank all the PM's and posts about meeting up, before I do I think I need to get sober and stay sober. I have been pointed in the direction of the McCormick Hospital doing AA meetings, does this ring a bell with anyonem (Perhaps not).

Anyway thanks for letting me know or should I say making me look at myself a little differently.

Incindently if anyone wants to buy a few boxes of chang, PM me when I am back, you can have them for a cup of coffee and a chat.

16 litres of beer every day? Really?

Why did you marry your wife?

Why are you here?

ok, I am a frequent Manchester flyer myself I know you refer to ethihad/emirates/qatar airlines.

so as a real start to your flying experience and getting on the wagon.......fly with swissair, its now cheaper than the above 3, a night flight all the way and you only get a glass of water and a crappy piece of chocolate.....but with swissair you will get back on time for sure.

Yeah, I don't get why you would cut up a trip like that in some sand pit in the middle. Just connect in LHR for a nice direct flight with Thai Air or BA, but that's better than having the stop exactly in the middle when you want to be asleep.

You leave early evening, like 7:30 for the short jump to LHR, then get on the 10pm flight direct to Bangkok in BA business class. (Which is a really good deal at 79K Baht, including the flight to London). Good night sleep and arrive in BKK in the afternoon with plenty connecting flights to Chiang Mai.