Two Thai Men Confess To Killing Aussie Michelle Smith For '300 Baht'

webfact

I wonder how many complaining often break western values or laws whilst residing here?

Drink driving, enjoying the women, dodging taxes,lieing for there visas,cheating on partner, owning property on dodgy companies etc etc.

Don't know if owning property on dodgy companies is breaking a western value? In most western countries any foreigner (also Thais) may own the land, house and business they invest in. Just think about that! If westerners were treated as equal in this country, there would be no need for "dodgy" companies to hold land and house for foreigners in the country they love and invest in!!!

All other points: Westerners are quick learners and - according to your findings - have learned well from the Thais...

• Like 1

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AGAIN the gangsters are from Nakhon Sri Thammarat ... is it only me or is it obviously very very often that many scumbags came from this area?

Whenever I read about a crime, its 80% ppl from Nakhon Sri Thammarat involved....

I think it is only you but sounds like you maybe had a girl burn you from Nakhon Si Thammarat and it is clouding your thinking. whistling.gif I am very familiar with the Nakhon and notice it when it comes up in the news.

You should try to visit. It is one of my favorite places in Thailand. Great people, easy to get to, inexpensive, relaxed, beautiful beaches, mountains, parks, water falls and lots of history.

Nisa, trust me, I really give a s--t what specially you are thinking. Obviously you are not living long enough in LOS for observing crime related provinces a bit better, or you are just too busy replying on EVERY post made here in TV Forum...normally I do not read your posts anymore, sry that was a mistake

SORRY TO THE OTHER MEMBERS FOR AN OFF TOPIC POST

And THANKS @ Catweazle, just thought the same when I was reading your post thumbsup.gif

AGAIN the gangsters are from Nakhon Sri Thammarat ... is it only me or is it obviously very very often that many scumbags came from this area?

Whenever I read about a crime, its 80% ppl from Nakhon Sri Thammarat involved....

I think it is only you but sounds like you maybe had a girl burn you from Nakhon Si Thammarat and it is clouding your thinking. whistling.gif I am very familiar with the Nakhon and notice it when it comes up in the news.

You should try to visit. It is one of my favorite places in Thailand. Great people, easy to get to, inexpensive, relaxed, beautiful beaches, mountains, parks, water falls and lots of history.

Not true! I strongly agree with Moskito and said the same thing myself independently before and also in this thread! I never had any girl from NST, perhaps this is why I am still alive... You can easily do some research yourself in old Gazette articles. NST pops up in many cases as birth place of crooks spreading violence all over this country. Ask any Thai person (who is not from Nakhon) and they will tell you that residents there are well-known for being hot-tempered, violent and out of control. That stabbing mother#%&*r sure made his home town proud...

I also agree! I also posted on the earlier thread about this crime that it seems as though many crimes here on Phuket are perpetuated by men from Nakon Si Thammarat. I have lived here in Phuket and followed the news for over seven years now... It may be a nice place, but apparently there isn't much going on to employ it's population, so they end up in Phuket and out of money...

Edited by Jimi007
  • Like 1

Suppose the scum that are in Phuket, especially after the tsunami, are ALL farrangs of the worst kind, and it will be them that have attracted young men like this to the Island, This in reply to a posters comments re farrang scum. Suggest they all go back to their original land then the poster will only have locals in Phuket, and trouble free. I would think this would apply to all tourist places.

My point is comparing countries is like comparing apples to oranges.

Western values laws etc don't fit here and visa versa.

They are different and in this case the thai way has produced results.This has ruffled feathers and brought out the back home brigade on T V

The same people generally also enjoy the more lapsed side to Thailand when it suits.hence some would say being hypocritical.

As for the fact Thais can get houses etc in the west, how about visas on arrival ? why is this also not reciprocal etc etc

The only common denominator with countries is where ever you live there is good and bad people.

Finally anyone that believes the uk isn't corrupt or cannot be influenced by who you know or in this case who was murdered, is simply living with there head in the sand.Running large nightclubs in Uk taught me otherwise same BS higher price tag.

50,000 baht reward money was divided up among the police investigators who worked on the successful investigation.

LOL

Truly truly bad people, They harmed the tourist industry and made Thailand lose face in the eyes of foreigners.....

No mention of the survivor confirming the identities of the 2 caught by the police. Anyone know if she is still in Phuket or has gone home?

I'll believe that the 2 are the real culprits when there is some proof & this article doesn't prove anything.

your last sentence expresses the thoughts I've had since hearing of the arrest and confessions. However, after reading the re-enactment scenario, it sounds plausible that they did it. The knife-wielding talkative one should get a tougher sentence than his accomplice, who only said "I'm sorry." Did the re-enactment coincide with the video?

Still, it would be good if there were some tangible facts which corroborate their confessions. Probably not in this case, but it stands to reason that there are some 'confessions' in Thai crimes, when (1) physical coercion by cops is allowed, and (2) suspects are told they'll avoid death penalty if they confess. I think I might confess to a crime I didn't commit - if I was assured I'd be killed if I didn't confess.

• Like 1

Some farangs will not ever be happy here even if they get what they want and Thailand has the same type rigid control of the country they fled.

Maybe.........there is a certain suspicion of any actions on the part of the police on behalf of some Thai Visa members. This could possibly stem from the instance where the chief of police for the entire frigging country of Thailand was indited for murder and extortion over the blue diamond case.... So as I said before if they actually caught the bad guys, great. If they stitched up some guys for the crime because they were getting calls from Yingluck to solve this case immediately, that would not be out of the realm of possibility.

The police taking the reward money themselves simply falls under the realm of bad taste. They should have said how bad they felt about the murder and donated the money to the family of the murdered woman.... But that would be forward thinking.....

Not forward thinking. Just show they care about something other than money. Cops should not have to be bribed with rewards to do the jobs they are paid to do.

Do you know what the base salary for police is in Thailand? I thought not... Why do you think they pay to be assigned to Phuket? Do you have a clue? Apparently not.

Haha, I know I dint have a clue about what you are attempting to articulate.

Re: you an Nisa

Okay, don't be a cop if you don't like the pay. Cops are not paid well in US either. Do your job or get fired. Screw the bonus. This was not a huge unsolved mystery. They had a live eyewitness, video tape of crime on CCTV and bar owner saying he knew who it was. Yep, bonus should be in order for solving that one.

Allowing police to accept rewards for solving crimes creates an inherent conflict of interest. Fundamental logic that need not be explained to those who refuse to get it.

So does the plate on this bike match the one in the video? Can one be seen, video enhancements? They were found in other provinces, with the murder bike or not? Did they know where the "incriminating" vehicle was kept in Phuket?

If they were brought back to Phuket then showed Police the same bike, does this not prove anything?

If they're showing Police the murder bike then it doesn't look good for them, does it?

Or did the Police already have the vehicle?

Infact, does what im asking make any sense to anyone else? lol

Angry mob hurl abuse at accused killers of Michelle Smith

http://www.perthnow....l-1226409540934

Sounds like the locals have had enough and are ready to reclaim their island from the scum it has been attracting and the image it has gotten since the Tsunami. Maybe it is just me but seems the place has really gone down hill and has a completely different image in terms of the people it is attracting both foreign and domestic.

Well, if the police won't do the job of getting the undesirables out of Phuket, perhaps the mobs of angry locals will. I was in Phuket last week with my wife to catch up with some navy friends from 20 years ago, all the locals were saying that this is the slowest low season they have ever seen, they blame crime against tourists, tuk tuk drivers and corruptionfor driving the visitors away.

The last time a major reward was offered in a murder case on the island, during the July 2010 manhunt for American Ronald Fanelli, the 50,000 baht reward money was divided up among the police investigators who worked on the successful investigation.

SHAME

Thai police=shame True!

Maybe.........there is a certain suspicion of any actions on the part of the police on behalf of some Thai Visa members. This could possibly stem from the instance where the chief of police for the entire frigging country of Thailand was indited for murder and extortion over the blue diamond case.... So as I said before if they actually caught the bad guys, great. If they stitched up some guys for the crime because they were getting calls from Yingluck to solve this case immediately, that would not be out of the realm of possibility.

The police taking the reward money themselves simply falls under the realm of bad taste. They should have said how bad they felt about the murder and donated the money to the family of the murdered woman.... But that would be forward thinking.....

Not forward thinking. Just show they care about something other than money. Cops should not have to be bribed with rewards to do the jobs they are paid to do.

Do you know what the base salary for police is in Thailand? I thought not... Why do you think they pay to be assigned to Phuket? Do you have a clue? Apparently not.

Haha, I know I dint have a clue about what you are attempting to articulate.

Re: you an Nisa

Okay, don't be a cop if you don't like the pay. Cops are not paid well in US either. Do your job or get fired. Screw the bonus. This was not a huge unsolved mystery. They had a live eyewitness, video tape of crime on CCTV and bar owner saying he knew who it was. Yep, bonus should be in order for solving that one.

Allowing police to accept rewards for solving crimes creates an inherent conflict of interest. Fundamental logic that need not be explained to those who refuse to get it.

Like I said, you don't have a clue what you're talking about... Try doing some reading instead of writing dribble. I don't have time to explain how things work in Thailand to you...

Oh, monkeys killing someone for peanuts is not peculiar to Thailand. It's happened in the UK, the US, and no doubt many other developed countries.

Hey JohnAllan, leave us monkeys alone, we have nothing to do with it, just sitting here eating bananas ;-)

In turth, statistics show there are 2X the number of murders per capita in Thailand than in the "wild and wooly, gun-crazy USA." 2X !!

You might want to double check your facts (incorrect facts).

Some posters will never let facts get in the way of their prejudices!

• Like 1

Not true! I strongly agree with Moskito and said the same thing myself independently before and also in this thread! I never had any girl from NST, perhaps this is why I am still alive... You can easily do some research yourself in old Gazette articles. NST pops up in many cases as birth place of crooks spreading violence all over this country. Ask any Thai person (who is not from Nakhon) and they will tell you that residents there are well-known for being hot-tempered, violent and out of control. That stabbing mother#%&*r sure made his home town proud...

Wow, some pretty wild generalisations here! I guess it's like saying everyone from Liverpool (England) is a thief!

Wow, some pretty wild generalisations here! I guess it's like saying everyone from Liverpool (England) is a thief!

Now you come to mention it laugh.png Calm down, calm down eh, eh. smile.png

Not like Nahkon isn't the largest province near Phuket and any real thought is put into that there are many people from Nahkon in Phuket both victims of crimes and perpetrators as well as police, shop keepers, nurses ... But lets not let them reading an island newspaper stop them from generalizing about how 80% of the crimes in Thailand are committed by people from Nahkon and how other Thais think badly of people from there.

Edited by Nisa

Please spell the name of Phuket correctly. It is not Phucket. The spelling you are using is a negative slur against the whole island and its population. If it is deliberate it is both inappropriate and hypocritical. If it is just ignorance, that is forgivable. Thanks.

I'll tell you this. The police are fairly good in these cases I think. I moved and filed my 90 day report at the office in Hoy Hin. This was just after the robbery and death of a tourist in the area. The next day police were at my apartment checking on me and making sure I was safe? Made me feel safer and the people at the condo knew not to mess with me or the police would be all over them. Labor is cheap here. They can put untold men on the case. I get a little upset with the tea money. My two cents anyway.

Another thing. I travel as a photographer here and pay some tea money but will have to say when a road block or dealing with the army they treat me with kit gloves. I NEVER have a problem. When the thais are being searched and put threw the ringer. I believe they have strict orders to treat farang very good or else.

One indecent when I was coming from Hala Bala on a photo shoot. One young army guy started searching my truck and was very insistent on the search. When the commander saw it. He came over and it was ended immediately and I was told to move on? So over all traveling allot in Thailand I feel safe.

Edited by garyk

Oh, monkeys killing someone for peanuts is not peculiar to Thailand. It's happened in the UK, the US, and no doubt many other developed countries.

Hey JohnAllan, leave us monkeys alone, we have nothing to do with it, just sitting here eating bananas ;-)

Even Monkeys in Thailand are doing their part to fight crime...

monkey1_665.jpg

• Like 1

Please spell the name of Phuket correctly. It is not Phucket. The spelling you are using is a negative slur against the whole island and its population. If it is deliberate it is both inappropriate and hypocritical. If it is just ignorance, that is forgivable. Thanks.

My apologies, just a habit of putting a c before a k.

Pfft. Since there is no "c" in Phuket, you're full of it. Apology what apology?

??? Not sure I understand your comment. I was simply letting him know my intention was not to make a slur about the island or its people. I assume his Please and Thanks were genuine and believed he deserved a respectful reply and explanation for my mistake.

Edited by Nisa

??? Not sure I understand your comment. I was simply letting him know my intention was not to make a slur about the island or its people.

Really? Sure seemed like it. As said, there isn't a c in the word Phuket, so saying you have a habit of putting c before k doesn't make any sense.

??? Not sure I understand your comment. I was simply letting him know my intention was not to make a slur about the island or its people.

Really? Sure seemed like it. As said, there isn't a c in the word Phuket, so saying you have a habit of putting c before k doesn't make any sense.

Wow.. talk about paranoid. When a K falls in the middle of a word in English, it is usually preceded by a c. In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of an English word that this rule doesn't apply or where a vowel proceeds a K. Use your head, I apologized because there is no c in Phuket and explained why I made the mistake.

Wow.. talk about paranoid. When a K falls in the middle of a word in English, it is usually preceded by a c. In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of an English word that this rule doesn't apply or where a vowel proceeds a K. Use your head, I apologized because there is no c in Phuket and explained why I made the mistake.

What are you talking about? Thai phonetics are not the same as english. And Phuket is in the news all the time. You can read obviously. Lame excuse, to say the least!