Paying The Help .....

MrRealDeal

MrRealDeal the level of service and customer satisfaction is low here compared to western country's, yes sure there good at selling you a shirt but thats about it.

If Thais wanted to earn more they would have to restructure there entire system, the first casualty would be workers, productivity would be come the new key word, do more with less staff, this is what happened in Australia in the late 70s, and to gain future pay rises was all tied to industry by industry productivity and not one rule for all as was before.

Most Thais dont work hard, they think they do, there often over staffed, while walking around Paragon with an exTGF i have pointed this out she said i should be happy they have a job,

thats there mentality.

It might be in Thai interests to keep a status quo as its a leading travel destination, as for tipping being Australian its foreign to us but at times i will tip for excellent service or round off etc.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like my post was removed ? not sure but I will say it again .... amoung Thai women who want to be virgin wives it would be more uncommon than common for them to want a virgin husband , they think men are men and want and need sex ....... I'm suprised thats news to anyone one one hand, on the other not so shocked for obvious reasons....... which of course is off topic really but since kid mentioned it I thought I would help educate him.

MrRealDeal the level of service and customer satisfaction is low here compared to western country's, yes sure there good at selling you a shirt but thats about it.

If Thais wanted to earn more they would have to restructure there entire system, the first casualty would be workers, productivity would be come the new key word, do more with less staff, this is what happened in Australia in the late 70s, and to gain future pay rises was all tied to industry by industry productivity and not one rule for all as was before.

Most Thais dont work hard, they think they do, there often over staffed, while walking around Paragon with an exTGF i have pointed this out she said i should be happy they have a job,

thats there mentality.

It might be in Thai interests to keep a status quo as its a leading travel destination, as for tipping being Australian its foreign to us but at times i will tip for excellent service or round off etc.

I agree with all that .... in fact a huge overnight wage increase would devestate the people it was designed to help fairly quickly.

thats there mentality.

Take it you have never bought a car by yourself in Thailand. Try it sometime. Go in to the dealership and talk to the lady with the shortest skirt and highest heels alone. Then tell me if this happens where you are from.

Oh, you mean like; since my wife was a virgin she told me having sex with hookers was fine until we were married and I did once or twice and had no problem giving them 3000 bht which is pretty much what I would pay back home.

Sorry, but that is unbelievable. No normal Thai woman is going to tell her b/f go play with a hooker.

Cool. This guy's full of BS.

I think a metaphor might help... pigeons are a big problem for the world... if everyone in the world put their lives on hold and went around for a few days beating every pigeon in sight to death with a stick, the pigeon problem could be solved... however, unless the government forces you to beat pigeons to death with a stick it is not worth foregoing a few days pay (and the cost of the stick) just to kill some pigeons because you will not solve the problem...

Thats one way of looking at it , however if I thought they were a big problem I would keep them off my property without needing any gov mandates rather than saying just because no one else wants to help, I am not going to help myself , because it has to start someplace and as people saw that it worked for me they would likely do the same and eventually we would solve the problem without needing the Queen. ...... Who no doubt has better things to do than pass mandates about things people say they want but don't do when they could.

This isn't really about min wage overall because then you get into competition and bisness related issues I didm't want to add ..... it's about paying the help people say should get more but chose not to give more , perhaps because of why you stated ..... "frankly she's not that important". Putting you in my opinion in the disingenuous department as opposed to the reasonable reason for doing the opposite of what you say you would like department.

Not doing what you think should be done because no one else is doing it so it won't solve the entire problem seems like an excuse to me. But from what you posted it seems to me like what you really think is "shes not that important" so you really don't care or want her to get paid more anyhow ...... unless of course the King makes you do it. Maybe it's a cultural difference of people who rely on Government to solve things or people who think people can solve things without government all by themselves ..... admitedly a concept that seems to become more alien to people every day.

I understand what your saying but I want ALL Thai workers to be paid fairly because I care about Thailand.

I expect the societal benefits to include the following:

#1: More disposable income for low-level workers = stronger domestic economy (less reliant on exports).

#2: Less crime / other social problems (due to the inverse correlation between these issues and wealth).

#3: Better motivated and happier low level workers = improved customer service standards.

#4: More well rested employees (no need for moonlighting) = higher productivity (no sleeping on the job).

#5: A reduction in the scale of the sex industry and the damage it does to Thailand's reputation and society.

As well as the following benefit that is more selfish:

#6: Higher wages for my extended family.

Paying my maid an extra 100k baht per month would have a negligible impact on #1 and no impact on the others.

However, as these benefits are so great, I would happily pay her an extra 100k per month if that was the price (to me) of an (even more) Amazing Thailand for everyone.

Some government intervention could help to speed things up, but I think (and hope) that wage catch-up will happen naturally over time through market forces.

I think a metaphor might help... pigeons are a big problem for the world... if everyone in the world put their lives on hold and went around for a few days beating every pigeon in sight to death with a stick, the pigeon problem could be solved... however, unless the government forces you to beat pigeons to death with a stick it is not worth foregoing a few days pay (and the cost of the stick) just to kill some pigeons because you will not solve the problem...

Thats one way of looking at it , however if I thought they were a big problem I would keep them off my property without needing any gov mandates rather than saying just because no one else wants to help, I am not going to help myself , because it has to start someplace and as people saw that it worked for me they would likely do the same and eventually we would solve the problem without needing the Queen. ...... Who no doubt has better things to do than pass mandates about things people say they want but don't do when they could.

This isn't really about min wage overall because then you get into competition and bisness related issues I didm't want to add ..... it's about paying the help people say should get more but chose not to give more , perhaps because of why you stated ..... "frankly she's not that important". Putting you in my opinion in the disingenuous department as opposed to the reasonable reason for doing the opposite of what you say you would like department.

Not doing what you think should be done because no one else is doing it so it won't solve the entire problem seems like an excuse to me. But from what you posted it seems to me like what you really think is "shes not that important" so you really don't care or want her to get paid more anyhow ...... unless of course the King makes you do it. Maybe it's a cultural difference of people who rely on Government to solve things or people who think people can solve things without government all by themselves ..... admitedly a concept that seems to become more alien to people every day.

I understand what your saying but I want ALL Thai workers to be paid fairly because I care about Thailand.

I expect the societal benefits to include the following:

#1: More disposable income for low-level workers = stronger domestic economy (less reliant on exports).

#2: Less crime / other social problems (due to the inverse correlation between these issues and wealth).

#3: Better motivated and happier low level workers = improved customer service standards.

#4: More well rested employees (no need for moonlighting) = higher productivity (no sleeping on the job).

#5: A reduction in the scale of the sex industry and the damage it does to Thailand's reputation and society.

As well as the following benefit that is more selfish:

#6: Higher wages for my extended family.

Paying my maid an extra 100k baht per month would have a negligible impact on #1 and no impact on the others.

However, as these benefits are so great, I would happily pay her an extra 100k per month if that was the price (to me) of an (even more) Amazing Thailand for everyone.

Some government intervention could help to speed things up, but I think (and hope) that wage catch-up will happen naturally over time through market forces.

We're straying into issues of Thai politics with this now.

There are reasons more than just 500 baht bribes for the current government having won the election. Whether they are the voice of low paid Thais is questionable but its clear they want change.

If this government don't give them it then another party will form given time...it all takes time but it will come I am sure. Might be a long while yet though!

In my opinion, Thai workers are underpaid, although as an individual I have little influence on this national issue.

I can't personally pay them all a good wage but I do generally tip generously (including random discretionary payments to the maid).

And that is why you pay your maid less then the mininmum wage by law,as you posted in that other topic.

I wonder what she has to do to receive discretionary payments.

I said she is paid 5 pounds (250 baht) per day, which is my best guess of her salary from the agency (who we pay 10k per month).

Including the money we give her (or spend on her) for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as the discretionary payments we give her (e.g. Songkran), we are paying her well over 500 baht per day.

I know this is still not much but she seems to be very satisfied and, as explained in my previous post, I would be happy to pay her more if that was my contribution to a well paid Thai labour force.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

In my opinion, Thai workers are underpaid, although as an individual I have little influence on this national issue.

I can't personally pay them all a good wage but I do generally tip generously (including random discretionary payments to the maid).

And that is why you pay your maid less then the mininmum wage by law,as you posted in that other topic.

I said she is paid 5 pounds (250 baht) per day, which is my best guess of her salary from the agency (who we pay 10k per month).

Including the money we give her (or spend on her) for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as the discretionary payments we give her (e.g. Songkran), we are paying her well over 500 baht per day.

I know this is still not much but she seems to be very satisfied and, as explained in my previous post, I would be happy to pay her more if that was my contribution to a well paid Thai labour force.

This must be the weakest excuse I have ever heard.

I suggest you change your signature to please forgive any lies and bulls**t I sprout when I'm caught red handed.

" I'm not much for bargirls but since my wife was a virgin she told me having sex with hookers was fine until we were married and I did once or twice and had no problem giving them 3000 bht which is pretty much what I would pay back home."

LOL.

Anyway, moving on, correct. However, I will not pay more just because I am a Farang. Agree everyone should pay more for stuff and services, but you forget, we already do. Considerably.

• Like 1

This must be the weakest excuse I have ever heard.

I suggest you change your signature to please forgive any lies and bulls**t I sprout when I'm caught red handed.

Feel free to PM me and arrange to interview my maid if you don't believe me!...

thats there mentality.

Take it you have never bought a car by yourself in Thailand. Try it sometime. Go in to the dealership and talk to the lady with the shortest skirt and highest heels alone. Then tell me if this happens where you are from.

I would have been so lucky! When i was looking late last year my memory is that nearly all the female "sales" staff in all the dealerships generally wore trousers.......

thats there mentality.

I would have been so lucky! When i was looking late last year my memory is that nearly all the female "sales" staff in all the dealerships generally wore trousers.......

Last ones I saw were the dealerships represented at the mall. Not the model women although they were there too but the sales people were in attendance and manning desks. English wasn't too good but they had big smiles. Maybe they dressed better because it was the mall.

thats there mentality.

as if any male would take a female sales person any serious, when it comes to cars, or other typical male things...

they have to wear pants, to have at least a little credibility...

thats there mentality.

entirely spot on...

and thats (at least part) of the reason, why miraculously local brands are so expensive...

some 15 years ago, there was a western company doing a project in some average manufacturing company, and they had to find out what people were doing, what was their responsibility (job descriptions)...

it was shocking... most were doing nothing, deciding nothing, nothing nothing where you would look...

i also believe, this might be a reason for the lame attitude in universities... they know, that they dont have to know anything...

you will get a job with the degree and thats it... no much challenge to expect... and if anyone realises you dont have a <deleted> clue, then the "face-thing" will save you anyway...

Edited by dingdang

how do you think, thailand can survive when its not competitive in the global market...

tipping doesnt help anything much, its like paying for sex - same economical effect...

what is the countries productivity index?

thats there mentality.

as if any male would take a female sales person any serious, when it comes to cars, or other typical male things...

they have to wear pants, to have at least a little credibility...

Could that be just a tad sexist,,,,smile.png? I found a general lack of knowledge amongst both male and female staff but that's another topic alltogether.

• Like 1

There's nothing we can do about the general, low wages paid by companies. As another poster pointed out, if wages were dramatically increased for all under-paid workers, many of them would lose their jobs.

But I think the OP was talking about how we pay those we 'employ' as maids etc.?

I can understand those who believe that we should pay the market rate as paying 'over the top' distorts the local economy - and I have no doubt they are right.

Having said this - if someone has worked hard, is doing/has done a good job, is obviously poor (and possibly most importantly I like them!), I always pay more than the 'going rate'. I'm not wealthy (in Western terms) by any stretch of the imagination, but I find it impossible not to take into consideration how much wealthier I am than the person who is doing some work for me.

" I'm not much for bargirls but since my wife was a virgin she told me having sex with hookers was fine until we were married and I did once or twice and had no problem giving them 3000 bht which is pretty much what I would pay back home."

LOL.

Anyway, moving on, correct. However, I will not pay more just because I am a Farang. Agree everyone should pay more for stuff and services, but you forget, we already do. Considerably.

Actually you are correct I did not think about that at all and it's a pretty good point

Not at all true - always / never, unique and all are almost always guaranteed to make your statement false.

Especially in Pattaya, there's some might cute quiff hunting the long con willing to give ST samples at much lower rates than the equivalent Thai-only girl would be willing to go for.

The latter's got to be willing to accept that's all she's getting, while the former knows she can hit the big-time jackpot way more often than 1 out of a 100. . .

Not at all true - always / never, unique and all are almost always guaranteed to make your statement false.

Especially in Pattaya, there's some might cute quiff hunting the long con willing to give ST samples at much lower rates than the equivalent Thai-only girl would be willing to go for.

The latter's got to be willing to accept that's all she's getting, while the former knows she can hit the big-time jackpot way more often than 1 out of a 100. . .

Haven't a clue what you are talking about. Firstly, I never wrote any of the words "always / never, unique and all" so does that imply that actually my statement is true.

I guess the rest is about whoring in Pattaya. Well you have the edge on me, as that is not on my bandwidth so will accept your greater knowledge. Are you a driller per chance? lol

Actually you are correct I did not think about that at all and it's a pretty good point

lol so we agree on something! dam_n will try harder next time lol

• Like 1

Haven't a clue what you are talking about. Firstly, I never wrote any of the words "always / never, unique and all" so does that imply that actually my statement is true.

I guess the rest is about whoring in Pattaya. Well you have the edge on me, as that is not on my bandwidth so will accept your greater knowledge. Are you a driller per chance? lol

Sorry should've quoted more context:

I'm not much for bargirls but since my wife was a virgin she told me having sex with hookers was fine until we were married and I did once or twice and had no problem giving them 3000 bht which is pretty much what I would pay back home.

LOL.

I understood from the above that you were of the opinion that farang pay more for sexual services than Thais, and thus responded, trying to correct that myth, at least when comparing apples to apples on both sides of the transaction.

If you weren't actually specifically referring to the sex industry, or didn't mean to imply "always", then never mind, not really a topic of enough significance to pursue further. . .

The OP is a dumb ass, I will only pay thai prices as I am paid in thai prices, go f@uck off!

Whats the point in posting stuff like that.

Cause im bored wating for the market to open ! I didnt think they might delete it , my comment as well I guess ....i'm still a noob

I was'nt referring to yourself buddy.