Checklist: Marriage In Thailand & Name Change - Us/Thai Nationals

Could anyone provide a checklist or run down of what I need to do in order to legalize a marriage in Thailand? We will marry in Thailand. We live in Bangkok, she was born in Bangkok - wedding will be at family home is Sisakhet.

I will later (quickly) be using the lisc. to obtain a visa in Lao and later to emmigrate her to the US (She already holds a B1/2).

We also wish to have her name changed prior so that she has my name on the marriage certificate/ledger. Therefore, when we make her app for residence to US it is one less hurdle for bonifide marriage. > She really wants to do the name change, it was my insistance that we keep it as is to avoid prejudice (working in BKK), but as I am totally fed up with the BS at embassies/consulates, bored of Thailand and the coral in the Andaman is dead. Best we try a new adventures, make some money, take some trips outside Asia...

Translations: How/where and how much to pay.

Should we marry (amphur) before or after ceremony? In my head, it's after - any bearing on CR1/IR1 US visa?

Thanks much -

Edited by bangkokburning

Look at your embassy website, it tells you all yu need to do to get a affirmation letter from your embassy. You can find a sample letter there that you will have to fill out. You sign it in front of consulair officer.

If you marry before or after the ceremony doesn't matter, only the legal wedding matters and is recorded.

Name change can take place once married, she can then change her last name to yours.

Look at your embassy website, it tells you all yu need to do to get a affirmation letter from your embassy. You can find a sample letter there that you will have to fill out. You sign it in front of consulair officer.

If you marry before or after the ceremony doesn't matter, only the legal wedding matters and is recorded.

Name change can take place once married, she can then change her last name to yours.

Sorry to hijack the thread but my question is along the same lines. Hope you dont mind.

I have been told the name change has to be done in the wifes home town amphur.?

So if I get married in Bangkok (not her home) we then need to travel to her home to legally change name after the marriage for her passport. This is not good news if true. Can anyone confirm this.I know its not a requirement to change name but we both want it and also wondering about legalities for travel etc if she is married but has maiden name.

Thanks

Bummer.

As for legalities, she can just use her maiden name. Since a couple of years there no longer is a need to change her name to that of her husband. She can choose to keep her maiden name., or just change it when it is convinient.

For travel to some coutnries, especially strict moslim countries, it will be easier if she changes to your name.

The site is currently in Thai only. They used to have some info in English, but they changed their web design and I can't find it anymore.

Seems the misses will have to check the site, or just call 1111 the government information line, where they also have English speaking staff to answer questions.