What Motor Would You Buy For 100,000 Baht Or Less?

Due to unforeseeable circumstances I am now without a car. Helping with the grandchildren means finances are not what they were and I refuse to get into debt. So I have a spare 100K Baht at the minute and would like to get back on the road again.

So, what motor would you buy for 100K Baht or less and why would you buy one of those?

Would you use a car auction here in Thailand? Are they reliable and cheaper?

Nissan Nv if 2 seats are enough. Can be had on taladrod for 69thou up. Or nissan sentra 4 door saloon from about 80thou. I would buy because they are cheap decent cars with great 1.6 engines.

Good luck expect to pay out another 10-15grand to get up to spec :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Edited by thaicbr

Try and find somebody you know who is banging a cheap motor out and has had it a few years so they know what it runs like, just had a mate sell a year 2000 Dawoo hatchback 65,000 baht and another friend bought it and is well happy .....................................forgot to say u need friends for this to happen ................

farang would help

If you are handy with a mig and have a nack for keeping bangers going then you can have some fun with an old rear wheel drive car. If not I wouldn't fancy risking crashing in a 30 year old rotted car with 30 year old spot welds holding it together.

As someone posted you maybe able to pick something up like a newer proton or daewoo, but it's probably soon going to cost you more in parts.

There isn't really much other cars available for that money is there sadly. sad.png

If you're not then it's really only a pick up. Stronger ladder chassis and newer welds, parts et all. The one you find that looks the straightest, have the smoothest engine, the least axle whine and smokes the least whatever the make and model is the one to go for.

Is there any chance you could get some more together for a 10 year Honda city or finance for a Honda Brio ?

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions :)

I could wait several months and build up more funds but as soon as I get sorted with my new passport and visa I want to get away for a while. I feel stagnant here in Pattaya at the moment and want something I can buy with no debt burden.

It does not have to be flash. Something with a 1.6 + engine, reliable and clean would do.

cheap cars like Daewoo, Chrysler Neon, Huyunda Accent or Exel, etc cost at least another 20 to 50'k to make it right again. Usually suspensions brakes wheelbearinghs shocks are dead and maybe AC don't works as well. Not to mention the always cracked dashboards in the Hyundai Accents. For 100'k it really sucks to get a decent car. Chrysler parts are very expensive. The only way is maybe a Peugeot 405, 1989 Honda Accord or a 92 Nissan Sentra or a "Doremon" (1989 Corolla 1.3 liter).

I wouln't recoment all those cars unless you are a mecanic and know what you buy.

• Like 1

Good advice from Stingray - I came to a similar conclusion when I was looking at 2nd hand cars in Thailand about 6 years ago - I simply don't know enough about cars to take on one for under 200k. If I had less than 100k to spend, I'd just use taxis and save. I only have a Honda City and even with that motoring is a road to poverty; I just got the 60,000km service last month which rang in at 5,800baht before the battery went from being perfectly fine to totally dead in two days so a replacement cost 3,490baht from B-Quick whereupon they advised that my tires would soon need replacing so that's another 12k+ headache on the way. My mind boggles at the potential to-do list for a sub-100k car.

The way cars are driven in Thailand I would be very worried about buying second hand cars. I have seen so many manual cars travelling at low speed still in 5th gear. This has to do some damage to the gearbox. I am no mechanic but i wonder what damage can be done.

Get a manual Nissan NV station wagon (called a Sentra station wagon in some other markets). My GF has one (actually wanting to sell it).

They are reliable, simple strong engine 1600CC, well built and relative to modern station wagons, have what we would call in the sailing world "high topsides" meaning plenty of room and glass and visibility.

my understanding is they are worth around 60-70k and you can get one that won't probably crap out. If they do they are simple to fix, and cheap with loads of parts available.

Tyres, battery etc, you will need to likely replace at some point, but at this sort of price, you will always be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Check out www.one2car.com for more options.

Anything exotic or uncommon is cheap...because you cannot easily repair it when it does stop (and an older car will stop from time to time).

Don't but an ex taxi, HUGE kms.

Get a manual Nissan NV station wagon (called a Sentra station wagon in some other markets). My GF has one (actually wanting to sell it).

They are reliable, simple strong engine 1600CC, well built and relative to modern station wagons, have what we would call in the sailing world "high topsides" meaning plenty of room and glass and visibility.

my understanding is they are worth around 60-70k and you can get one that won't probably crap out. If they do they are simple to fix, and cheap with loads of parts available.

Tyres, battery etc, you will need to likely replace at some point, but at this sort of price, you will always be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Check out www.one2car.com for more options.

Anything exotic or uncommon is cheap...because you cannot easily repair it when it does stop (and an older car will stop from time to time).

Don't but an ex taxi, HUGE kms.

Never see one for 60'k unless it's crab. The prices for Nissan NV Van are between 130'k - 200'k

Maybe a former Taxi cost 70'k, but as i said, they are crab.

http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?Brand=B0035&Model=S0439&Body=D0840&

Edited by stingray

Nobody has mentioned a Peugot 205 or Opal (Vauxhall) Corsa. Readily available for approximately 70k, another 20k on a phat set of alloys and 10k on a phat sound system and you'll have the best car 100k can get you. Not sure on reliability, but you can just park it up outside, charge up the battery, turn up the volume and wink at the girls walking by.

Sorry for my lack of input over the last few days. I've been away and then got embroiled in another topic to answer a lot of replies.

I appreciate the input you guys are giving me. It helps me to make a decision, though until my broken bits on my body are mended I cannot drive anyway. That gives me maybe 6 weeks to look and think.

I realise 100K is not a lot but to be without a motor is such a drag and I do not want to get into debt. I do know one reliable mechanic in Pattaya who is reasonably priced so repairs here are not a huge problem. I'd do them myself but it is too hot and I have few tools here in Thailand.

An ex taxi is definitely out.

A couple of people have sent me PM's about cars they have for sale and I'm considering those also.